New character revealed

Discuss the latest about the second Silent Hill Movie

Moderator: Moderators

AuraTwilight
Historical Society Historian

Re: New character revealed

Post by AuraTwilight »

We know. We're discussing hypotheticals using the general consensus "best Silent Hill" to explain a few points about a good Silent Hill movie.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
wonder's boy
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by wonder's boy »

It's wild how much would have to be cut and then added in to make a "direct" adaptation of one of the games actually work out. The mediums of film and video games are that different, I guess. Different experiences with different formulas, though they do have their similarities.

Makes me think just how cinematic a game can be without becoming too cinematic. Also, how much like a game a film can be with all the homage and "feel" without being too much like a game. There are boundaries, I'm sure, but just where are they?
Music created by the fans, for the fans. . . . . . . . . . . . . . Vol. 1 | Vol. 2 | Vol. 3
Metal_Haunter
Just Passing Through

Post by Metal_Haunter »

Thats the trick then isn't it. Silent Hill 2 is probably the best example of "cinematic" story telling in games. Thing about that is, there are not a lot of cutscenes in Sh2. Then you have Metal Gear Solid 4 trying to do the same thing. 45 minute cutscene. When it comes to telling a story in games, cutscenes are not the only answer. A few small ones here and there are fine but it's best not to get carried away. Another good example of storytelling in games done right (and you guys are going to think I'm out of my skull for this) is SplatterHouse. While it's story is not a very deep outing, I find it reminiscent of some of the old Stewart Gordon "Lovecraft" films from the late 80's with a touch of evil dead. The way it tells it's story is the same way sh2 told it's story, simply play the game.the only time you got a cutscene in Splatter house was before a big boss fight, after the level was complete, and the pre level loading.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

SH2 is not 'cinematic' in pretty much any sense of the term.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
CrypticIdentity
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by CrypticIdentity »

I would disagree with that. All of the Silent Hill games featuring fixed camera angles have had an element of being "cinematic" simply because thought was put into how certain areas/scenes were "shot" beyond simple functionality for gameplay. James & Maria's conversation in the prison is a perfect example of this--I remember reading somewhere that they shot that specifically so that it would look like James was in a cell of his own.

Or, if you're looking for stuff outside the actual cutscenes, then like I said, think of the fixed camera angles, like when James is jumping down the holes, or the alleyway in the first game that was virtually copied frame for frame in the movie. They're not showy examples of being "cinematic," but they're still cinematic.

And so we can get some unbiased third-party input on the term, here's the Merriam-Webster dictionary definition of "cinematic":
1. of, relating to, suggestive of, or suitable for motion pictures or the filming of motion pictures
2. filmed and presented as a motion picture
It's not the most helpful definition ever, but I go by what I said before: If something is called "cinematic," the camera has been placed and directed in a way that suggests they were thinking about the aesthetics of the shot in addition to functionality. And that's the Silent Hill series all over.

Don't know how much that adds, but I felt like throwing my two cents in. ^^; In terms of video game-to-movie adaptations, I think one of the important issues that comes up is the fact that they're both already mediums that use motion-visuals to tell a story, so, as Bassett mentioned on his own blog, if you just want to see the video game verbatim in movie form, then just play the game again. It's a lot different than when you're adapting a book, or even a comic book. Watchmen has some scenes filmed almost exactly the way they were portrayed in the comic, panel for panel, line for line, and some might see the movie as a redundancy then, but it's still stimulating for me to watch, because what was motionless before is now in motion. And sometimes that makes all the difference.

Ok, I'll stop now before I start snowballing out of control. This is getting in tl:dr territory, probably.

EDIT: Ok, ok, one more thing: One could argue that the fixed camera angles are used to obscure certain things or to direct the players vision toward certain things, which to a certain degree suggests functionality rather than aesthetics, but I still think a lot times the camera angles were chosen for aesthetic purposes as well as functionality. There. End of transmission. :P
eddieatemypizza
Just Passing Through

Post by eddieatemypizza »

i agree that the running time of the movie is going to suck. 1 hour and 34 minutes is not enough time to pull this movie off. So much stuff is going to be cut out and rushed it will make the movie suffer. But then again when is a movie actually considered a "good" movie anymore.
eddieatemypizza
Just Passing Through

Post by eddieatemypizza »

who is the girl figure jumping threw the fire on the merry go around on the tv trailer? its at 50 seconds in. I would assume this would be the memory of alyssa but the person looks weird.
peronmls
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by peronmls »

eddieatemypizza wrote:who is the girl figure jumping threw the fire on the merry go around on the tv trailer? its at 50 seconds in. I would assume this would be the memory of alyssa but the person looks weird.
Most likely God in a Missonary form...or not
the konami code
Just Passing Through

Post by the konami code »

JKristine35 wrote:According to an interview with actor Michael Foucault, it seems he'll be playing someone named 'Crosby' in Revelation. It sounds like Crosby's a bit like the the Observer on Fringe. In other words, a weird guy who knows everything, but we know nothing about him and he's always just kind of there. I think that would be a cool idea, if that's indeed what they're aiming for.
http://silenthaven.tumblr.com/post/7606 ... ilent-hill
I don't think I like that idea. The movie has more than enough characters.. guess we'll see how it plays out :?
Scanman22

Post by Scanman22 »

the konami code wrote:
JKristine35 wrote:According to an interview with actor Michael Foucault, it seems he'll be playing someone named 'Crosby' in Revelation. It sounds like Crosby's a bit like the the Observer on Fringe. In other words, a weird guy who knows everything, but we know nothing about him and he's always just kind of there. I think that would be a cool idea, if that's indeed what they're aiming for.
I don't think I like that idea. The movie has more than enough characters.. guess we'll see how it plays out :?
I wonder if it is the homeless guy we have been hearing about. Plus, is he the guy with the monster stitched up face? Lots of weird characters and my favorite (Valtiel) is still M.I.A. and appears (so far) as just a giant throne! I hope he gets in there!
- Member of the Order -
~ The Sect of Valtiel ~
the konami code
Just Passing Through

Scanman22 wrote:
the konami code wrote:
I wonder if it is the homeless guy we have been hearing about. Plus, is he the guy with the monster stitched up face? Lots of weird characters and my favorite (Valtiel) is still M.I.A. and appears (so far) as just a giant throne! I hope he gets in there!
I'm not sure honestly. I think if they were gonna assign a name to the role of the weird guy that knows a little too much about what's going on, they should have called him Stanley Coleman. It would have been a nice little nod SH3
Scanman22

Post by Scanman22 »

the konami code wrote:I'm not sure honestly. I think if they were gonna assign a name to the role of the weird guy that knows a little too much about what's going on, they should have called him Stanley Coleman. It would have been a nice little nod SH3
I did ask about Stanley Coleman in another thread. There is already a picture of Heather walking by a table with a birthday cake on it. So maybe she receives the phone call from the crazy director of Brookhaven Hospital stating that Stanley is dead and his new name is #7 in the morgue. That would be awesome then if Heather went down there and passing by #7 stretcher, she would hear a moan saying, "H. . .Hhhhea. . .Heatherrrrrrr!" That would be a nice nod to good ole Stanley Coleman!
- Member of the Order -
~ The Sect of Valtiel ~
the konami code
Just Passing Through

I agree. I love when adaptations make throwback references to the original inception!
CrypticIdentity
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by CrypticIdentity »

fisher92 wrote:Bassett about Michel Foucault(Crosby) :
This actor is a bit-part day player with one line of dialogue, who has no idea what he’s talking about. He was never even given the full script to read.
http://michaeljbassett.wordpress.com/20 ... ugust-3rd/

It seems that we can stop worrying.
Just so you guys know, this is what Bassett's said about the character. Crosby could very well be one of the characters you guys are suggesting--there are some other theories on the other pages in the topic, too.
Aerith Gainsborough

Post by Aerith Gainsborough »

Crosby sounds like the original character of Vincent. Plain and simple. If that's the case, Bassett really should have left Vincent's character alone and done away with the boyfriend/girlfriend stuff.
I'm rarely on the forums anymore. Click here for ways to reach me.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

>Crosby sounds like the original character of Vincent.<
How? The director has stated Crosby has a single line and doesn't know anything. The character is simply a throwback to SILENT HILL 3's R. Crosby in Brookhaven Hospital.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Aerith Gainsborough

^
...a weird guy who knows everything, but we know nothing about him and he's always just kind of there.
Referring to what JKristine said above. Simply. Wouldn't know, to be honest. I honestly haven't been that interested in the character of Crosby because, up until recently, so many characters were being thrown out that were quickly dismissed.
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

Which post of mine are you referring to? *is confused*
Aerith Gainsborough

^Your OP. More info has probably been released since then, but I was totally referring to the quote I posted above from your post. :)
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

LOL It's been so long since I made this thread that I didn't even recognize my own quote. :lol: