New character revealed

Discuss the latest about the second Silent Hill Movie

Moderator: Moderators

JKristine35
Subway Guard

Re: New character revealed

Post by JKristine35 »

Sean Bean only filmed for a couple of weeks, and he had already left Canada when the Otherworld scenes were shot, the Lakeside scenes, the mall scenes, and the Brookhaven scenes. So unless this scene occurs very early in the movie, before Heather goes to Silent Hill, it won't involve Chris. It also doesn't make sense for Claudia to be in it, unless they drastically change her character from the game. Michel said Crosby is scaring these characters, and I don't see why Claudia would be scared, assuming she is indeed the antagonist and not made into some random outsider who knows nothing of SH. So that leaves only Heather, Vincent, and Suki (that are known of). If Suki, a pretty and stylishly dressed teenager, is indeed going into the town with Heather, I don't see much ambiguity as to what her role will be (be pretty, scream, die). Her presence suggests there may be other pretty and stylishly dressed teenagers (are there any other kind in horror movies?) who go into SH with Heather, in an effort to rack up the body count. And if that is indeed true, I'm going to be very unhappy. I wish he would release more pictures or a teaser trailer or something.
fisher92
Just Passing Through

Post by fisher92 »

I checked whether there was some mention of Crosby in the game. Well, I found something. That's a memo :
Dr. Midkiff:

Please use extra caution with
the patient in room 312.

He should still have his religious
freedom here in the hospital, but
he shouldn't push his faith on
others. I'm a victim, too.

Rumor has it he got here by stabbing
someone over a religious dispute.
Please be careful.

R. Crosby

P.S. It looks like the rumor is true,
according to the head nurse.
I do think he's a good person
otherwise, though---
easy to deal with.
Intriguing.
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

So he works at the hospital? Very interesting... I wonder if it'll turn out he was working at the hospital when Alessa was hospitalized there. If so, it could give us more information on Lisa as well, which I would love.
fisher92
Just Passing Through

Post by fisher92 »

Yeah, that would be cool. There could be some video with Lisa telling about her feelings like in SH1.
But also, I'm not sure, but the patient in room 312 is probably Leonard. The connection is simple right now.
Aerith Gainsborough
Historical Society Historian

Post by Aerith Gainsborough »

Thanks for the info, Fisher!

Also, I already can't stand Suki, especially if she's just going to be another pretty girl who dies in a horror film. She better have a good excuse for being in Silent Hill, besides being worm chow.
I'm rarely on the forums anymore. Click here for ways to reach me.
KiramidHead

Post by KiramidHead »

She could be a, um, special companion, for Pyramid Head.
Mr.FLOOT
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Mr.FLOOT »

Hmm, I don't think there is going to be a "Group of teens" because I don't think that Bassett will turn this into a DTM. I really think he just meant the production group in general, such as the director, actors producers etc.
Also from the stills we haven't actually seen any groups at all, and there has been no mention of Heather being with a group of people in the synopsis.
I don't have any worries about Heather being in a group.
fisher92
Just Passing Through

Post by fisher92 »

Bassett about Michel Foucault(Crosby) :
This actor is a bit-part day player with one line of dialogue, who has no idea what he’s talking about. He was never even given the full script to read.
http://michaeljbassett.wordpress.com/20 ... ugust-3rd/

It seems that we can stop worrying.
Metal_Haunter
Just Passing Through

Post by Metal_Haunter »

AuraTwilight wrote:>rest of the group

trololololol.

Seriously, people need to get over the "SILENT HILL HAS TO BE ISOLATION AT ALL TIMES." Good stories need character development and interaction and movies don't have the goddamn TIME to keep a character isolated for 20 minutes at a time.
I disagree, a good film can have a character isolated for long periods of time while developing the character and the plot of the film. A fantastic example of this used to the advantage of story telling is "The Quiet Earth". This is a film that deals with a character who is truly alone in the world and is doing everything in his power to keep whats left of his sanity by searching for any one else. While the protagonist of the film eventually does run into another living person, the time he spent on screen alone makes their meeting more meaningful not only to the protagonist, but to the audience as well. I recommend you check out "the Quiet earth" if you are into a heavily character driven story or good science fiction. It is a slow film, but it is also a very good one.

That being said, it is entirely possible to do a Silent Hill film where the protagonist (James, Heather,Rose, whoever) spends a majority of the film alone trying to stay alive in a town that is not too keen on the fact that they are breathing, with maybe one or two side characters that show up from time to time
to manipulate or mislead the protagonist for their own gain, or to simply add more to the over all sense of dread and unease for not just the main character, but for the audience as well.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

I disagree, a good film can have a character isolated for long periods of time while developing the character and the plot of the film. A fantastic example of this used to the advantage of story telling is "The Quiet Earth". This is a film that deals with a character who is truly alone in the world and is doing everything in his power to keep whats left of his sanity by searching for any one else. While the protagonist of the film eventually does run into another living person, the time he spent on screen alone makes their meeting more meaningful not only to the protagonist, but to the audience as well. I recommend you check out "the Quiet earth" if you are into a heavily character driven story or good science fiction. It is a slow film, but it is also a very good one.
It's also much too far in the opposite direction, as what makes the characters of Silent Hill deep is their interactions with each other. I'd dare say that going too far with the isolation thing is even worse than the 'group of teenagers getting slashed' scenario, especially given how fans have reacted negatively to 'only one real character' twists and the like.
That being said, it is entirely possible to do a Silent Hill film where the protagonist (James, Heather,Rose, whoever) spends a majority of the film alone trying to stay alive in a town that is not too keen on the fact that they are breathing
And then we run into the problem of an overly-antagonistic town and a character focusing on survival, with isolation never prompting their inner personalities (human personality only really becomes apparent in contrast to other people, which is why side characters exist to begin with), ultimately making things too close to a single-actor zombie film.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Metal_Haunter
Just Passing Through

Post by Metal_Haunter »

AuraTwilight wrote:
It's also much too far in the opposite direction, as what makes the characters of Silent Hill deep is their interactions with each other.
Ah but the thing that makes the interaction with other characters so important is the fact that they are so few and far between for a majority of the plot. Take Silent Hill 2 for example. for the first twenty minutes of the game (I know there is a difference between film story telling and story telling in game, I will get to that in a second) It's just you, James and the town. Now you do meet Angela and Eddie within that twenty minutes, however it's only for a minute or two for all three encounters. It is not until you run into Maria that you actually have a chance for the two to interact. While characters interaction help with adding depth to the story and development, A good Silent Hill story keeps those interactions spread out in favor of an atmosphere that leaves you with with a sense of dread, paranoia and of course isolation. Now if Silent Hill 2 were to be made into a film that had the intention of being a faithful translation, James would spend at least the first 10 or 15 minutes alone in the film (save for meeting Angela and Eddie) before he meets Maria.

especially given how fans have reacted negatively to 'only one real character' twists and the like.
In what game? That was a big part of Restless dreams
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
when you found out that Maria was not real but in fact a manifestation of his sexual frustration and her purpose there was to screw with his mind
. Yet SH2 is the best received game among fans and critics alike.
That being said, it is entirely possible to do a Silent Hill film where the protagonist (James, Heather,Rose, whoever) spends a majority of the film alone trying to stay alive in a town that is not too keen on the fact that they are breathing
And then we run into the problem of an overly-antagonistic town and a character focusing on survival, with isolation never prompting their inner personalities (human personality only really becomes apparent in contrast to other people, which is why side characters exist to begin with), ultimately making things too close to a single-actor zombie film.
OK, Allow me to rephrase that. It is possible to do a Silent hill film where the protagonist spends a majority of the screen time alone looking for, in James's case, answers and closure. All the while wondering in a town that has no problem toying with the main character.
Aerith Gainsborough

I believe that the people one meets in Silent Hill help further the progression as to why they are there in the first place. This is seen in all the games, as these people help the protagonists in some form or another. However, the only probably I had with 'a group' is that it's a bunch of crazy teens, making SHR:HD another stereotypical horror flick. I'm glad, though, that MJB has spoken out about the things we've been told by Michael. I'm actually quite at ease.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Ah but the thing that makes the interaction with other characters so important is the fact that they are so few and far between for a majority of the plot. Take Silent Hill 2 for example. for the first twenty minutes of the game (I know there is a difference between film story telling and story telling in game, I will get to that in a second) It's just you, James and the town. Now you do meet Angela and Eddie within that twenty minutes, however it's only for a minute or two for all three encounters. It is not until you run into Maria that you actually have a chance for the two to interact. While characters interaction help with adding depth to the story and development, A good Silent Hill story keeps those interactions spread out in favor of an atmosphere that leaves you with with a sense of dread, paranoia and of course isolation. Now if Silent Hill 2 were to be made into a film that had the intention of being a faithful translation, James would spend at least the first 10 or 15 minutes alone in the film (save for meeting Angela and Eddie) before he meets Maria.
I'm sorry, but most of those 20 minutes is James running through a long ass fucking road, then finding his first monster and a radio, then going through the hotel where he meets Pyramid Head. I can assure you this shit would be reduced to ten minutes, and between Angela, Eddie, the monster/radio scene, and Pyramid Head's song and dance, that's going to leave....like, what, four minutes of isolation if we keep the scenes at the same length? Maybe less.

I'm sorry, but a movie's only going to have an hour and a fucking half, maybe two hours at best. A lot of shit is gonna have to be cut, so we're going to have a LOT less of James running around, fighting monsters, and solving puzzles by himself. The isolation element doesn't make for good movies, and your only response was a cult classic that was a box office failure.
In what game?
ONE real character. Just saying the name of the game is a spoiler; if you've played it, you'd know what it was.
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
Shattered Memories
OK, Allow me to rephrase that. It is possible to do a Silent hill film where the protagonist spends a majority of the screen time alone looking for, in James's case, answers and closure. All the while wondering in a town that has no problem toying with the main character.
Okay, but how are we going to know James' thoughts, opinions, and how he reflects on stuff? Saying it aloud would make him look retarded and cartoony, constant voiceovers would break the mood of quiet and isolation. You pretty much have to have atleast one character with him to bounce ideas off of. This was one of Maria's prime purposes during the Hospital scene, and it's why Cybil was with Rose in the first movie.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
CrypticIdentity
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by CrypticIdentity »

fisher92 wrote:Bassett about Michel Foucault(Crosby) :
This actor is a bit-part day player with one line of dialogue, who has no idea what he’s talking about. He was never even given the full script to read.
http://michaeljbassett.wordpress.com/20 ... ugust-3rd/

It seems that we can stop worrying.
Honestly, that's a relief for me. When Foucault started talking about being a recurring character and what-not, I started thinking of that dude from Final Destination, or the G-Man from Half-Life. The Final Destination dude is just kind of cheesy, and while the G-Man works great for Half-Life--that's Half-Life, not Silent Hill. From the sounds of it, though, if he did end up being a recurring character, it'd just be a background thing, almost like a "Where's Waldo?" or picking out Peter Jackson's cameos in LotR.
Metal_Haunter
Just Passing Through

Post by Metal_Haunter »

AuraTwilight wrote:

Okay, but how are we going to know James' thoughts, opinions, and how he reflects on stuff? Saying it aloud would make him look retarded and cartoony, constant voiceovers would break the mood of quiet and isolation. You pretty much have to have atleast one character with him to bounce ideas off of. This was one of Maria's prime purposes during the Hospital scene, and it's why Cybil was with Rose in the first movie.
Watch Vincent Price's "Last Man on Earth" for a good example of how to do this. Price's VO added to the dark atmosphere and did little to detract from the feeling of his isolation.But then again, it's Vincent Price, that man could have made "if you give a mouse a cookie" sound dark. However, like I pointed out with "The Quiet Earth" it can be done and done well.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

It still wouldn't be Silent Hill to do that, no matter how 'well' it is, what with the whole soundtrack thing that for most people DEFINES Silent Hill. I don't want some fuck monologuing after Akira Yamaoka's compositions or whatever the hell. I'd much rather have a couple characters have a brief conversation.
Metal_Haunter
Just Passing Through

Post by Metal_Haunter »

Fair point. However I don't think they would have to cut as much as you think. I'm playing through sh2 again. It only took me 6-10 minutes to go down the road, talk to crazy bitch, walk some more, kill monster, get radio get the key to the apartment.. So You could have James spend a good chunk of screen time by himself with a town that hates him in a passive aggressive manner.

As For Crosby, this is what came to my mind when I heard he was in the movie
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Fair point. However I don't think they would have to cut as much as you think. I'm playing through sh2 again. It only took me 6-10 minutes to go down the road, talk to crazy bitch, walk some more, kill monster, get radio get the key to the apartment.. So You could have James spend a good chunk of screen time by himself with a town that hates him in a passive aggressive manner.
Alright, so...do we keep the Apartments at ALL aside from meeting Eddie, Key-kicking bitch, and Pyramid Head? Is the entire Born From A Wish scenario cut? do we keep the Heaven's Night sequence? The Bowling thing? How much of the Hospital? How much of the Labyrinth and the Jail and all that stuff? Clearly all the puzzles pretty much have to go, right? How much of the Hotel is relevant enough to stay?

Shit's gonna have to be cut, and you're probably going to have to have Maria stick around longer so that James' thoughts can be shared without making the narrative really clunky.
Metal_Haunter
Just Passing Through

Post by Metal_Haunter »

If I had my way, Eddie would be cut from the film all together. The apartments would have to be cut down but the bowling ally does not really need to be there. Born from a wish was just a side story that I honestly don't think anyone can figure out (We all have theories but no one has an answer that we all agree on). But yeah, I see your point. Things will have to be cut and changed for the sake of a coherent film narrative.
Aerith Gainsborough

^This movie has nothing to do with Silent Hill 2. This movie is inspired by Silent Hill 3.