Bassett In ADR With Deborah and Donovan

Discuss the latest about the second Silent Hill Movie

Moderator: Moderators

FrankRD
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Bassett In ADR With Deborah and Donovan

Post by FrankRD »

Day spent in ADR, looping dialogue with Deborah Kara Unger and Martin Donovan.
Source: https://twitter.com/#!/michaeljbassett/ ... 1917472768

For those of you (like me) who don't know what ADR(''Automatic'' Dialogue Replacement) means:
Dialog that cannot be salvaged from production tracks must be
re-recorded in a process called looping or ADR.
Source: http://filmsound.org/terminology/adr.htm

Nothing huge, but at least it's something, eh?
teosoleil
My Bestsellers Clerk

Re: Bassett In ADR With Deborah and Donovan

Post by teosoleil »

Probably curse words or small phrases being replaced, these things are usually small. Let's hope this contributes to better dialogue.
Last edited by teosoleil on 16 Nov 2011, edited 1 time in total.
Aerith Gainsborough
Historical Society Historian

Post by Aerith Gainsborough »

Nice to hear! More progress, and I agree with teosoleil. I really hope this makes a nice contribution to the dialogue of the movie.
I'm rarely on the forums anymore. Click here for ways to reach me.
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

teosoleil wrote:Probably curse words or small phrases being replaced, these things are usually small. Let's hope contributes to better dialogue.
That's incorrect. When dialogue is lost during a scene, it's rarely only one or two words. Typically, the entire scene ends up being bad and has to be replaced for any number of causes, from screwups in the audio recording system to the shooting location being an inhospitable environment for sound. When they're filming somewhere they know won't bode well for audio, they'll often try to save money by not even bothering to record sound during those scenes at all. It would not surprise me in the least if this is the case for every single outdoor scene they shot, of which there are quite a few.
wonder's boy
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by wonder's boy »

They did have some close call weather issues if I'm remembering correctly. Let's hope they can get it to fit in well! I'm sure with their talents, this activity won't be a problem.
Music created by the fans, for the fans. . . . . . . . . . . . . . Vol. 1 | Vol. 2 | Vol. 3
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

ADR is a pain in the butt for everyone involved, particularly when it comes to trying to match the audio to how it seems like it should sound in that environment, but I can't recall a big budget film that's ever messed it up.
emFox
Just Passing Through

Post by emFox »

JKristine35 wrote:ADR is a pain in the butt for everyone involved, particularly when it comes to trying to match the audio to how it seems like it should sound in that environment, but I can't recall a big budget film that's ever messed it up.
They at least try to get serviceable audio for the purposes of ADR. Then they watch it over and over with the actors and get them to repeat the lines so they match the rhythms and cadences, and also direct them and get them into the same character they were in on set. So it's a matter of trying, in a day, to get the actors back in character and matching exactly what is said on camera across multiple different shots, perhaps in different scenes entirely. It's a definite pain in the ass, but there's no excuse for failing on a project like this, so it shouldn't be a concern like you said.
jdnation
Historical Society Historian

Post by jdnation »

ADR is a common practice to get good sound in a final product. It's used everywhere on all films. I don't believe there are any suitably budgeted films that don't go through it. These can be for minor words or even entire scenes with lots of dialogue. I wouldn't worry, the practice has been quite well perfected for a long time now, you've probably seen plenty of films without ever realizing which parts of it were ADR or not. It's done usually for outdoor scenes/sets in other locations which aren't quiet (malls for instance) and where you can't adequately capture good sound like you can on a studio sound stage. It's also used for voice overs, narrators, or areas where you might want to mix one voice with SFX to sound different, or to give the illusion of an echo in a large space when you're in fact shooting in a tiny room. Sometimes even sound screw-ups can happen and that requires stuff to be re-recorded.
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

Exactly. The only regular director I've ever heard of never using ADR is Woody Allen.
Mr.FLOOT
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Mr.FLOOT »

Yeah, it happens with a lot of films. Scream 4 has pretty much the entire thing ADR'd