Douglas Cartland confirmed

Discuss the latest about the second Silent Hill Movie

Moderator: Moderators

JKristine35
Subway Guard

Douglas Cartland confirmed

Post by JKristine35 »

Michael Bassett has confirmed on his blog that Douglas will appear in Revelation and will be played by an actor named Martin Donovan.
http://michaeljbassett.wordpress.com/20 ... /cartland/
Martin Donovan IMDb page: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0233027/
KiramidHead
Historical Society Historian

Re: Douglas Cartland confirmed

Post by KiramidHead »

Cool! I was convinced Doug wouldn't be in the movie, but lo and behold, MJB delivers again.
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

Another interesting tidbit from that blog posting is that props were stolen by onlookers during filming. Part of me is disgusted by the thievery... and another part of me wants to know where these items are being sold and how much they cost. :mrgreen:
CrypticIdentity
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by CrypticIdentity »

Well, I'll be damned. Best kept secret and it wasn't even supposed to be a secret.

So that means basically everyone in the game has made it into this movie--Heather, Harry, Claudia, Vincent, Douglas, and Leonard. There's no confirmed Stanley Coleman, but he existed only through notes in the game anyway, so even if he did make it into the movie, there's no guarantee he's being played by an actor. I'm still hoping some of Stanley's character quirks have made it into Bassett's writing of Vincent, but that's just me.

A cast of primary characters that existed in the source material: check. A plot that at the very least resembles the one from the source material: check. An effort to maintain continuity with the source material through music and visual style: check. A director who has not only proven to have a strong handle on atmosphere and psychological horror, but has had success with adapting from source material in the past: check.

Is it just me, or did whoever chose Bassett make an excellent call?
KiramidHead

Post by KiramidHead »

I'd like to know what props were stolen before I even think about the price. 'Cause if it's one of big sacks of Robbies, then I'm totally interested.

And yes, Bassett was an excellent choice. Deathwatch was brilliant, and his skill as a director made Wilderness a bit more interesting than a typical slasher. Solomon Kane was just cheesy awesomeness.

Oh, and now that we know Douglas is in the movie, I want the castrated sheep line as well. That would make for an awesome outtake reel, IMO. I can just see the actors cracking up.
SilentWren

Post by SilentWren »

KiramidHead wrote: Oh, and now that we know Douglas is in the movie, I want the castrated sheep line as well. That would make for an awesome outtake reel, IMO. I can just see the actors cracking up.
You already stole my idea.

I'm not crazy about the actor playing him, but this should be good. Can't wait.
The above user visits this forum *very infrequently.* If you need any type of response or answer from her, she may or may not be able to provide it in a timely manner.

Thank you for understanding. <3

http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.ph ... 28#p674128
FrankRD
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by FrankRD »

I can't add anything else that hasn't already been said, so, I'll just say, EXCELLENT news! :D
wonder's boy
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by wonder's boy »

Not to imply that I'm disappointed, but this film is getting awfully crowded. At least each character has potential in this film. Otherwise I'd be really worried.

However, Doug's character appears a bit younger and sexier than his game counter part *sorry SH3 VG Douglas fans*, but this may have a lot to do with him being human.

This only fuels my crave for the trailer even more. I swear, after I watch the trailer, I won't look at a spec of SH:R info until the film comes out, after which I will reserve three seats on opening night.

Three seats. That's three less than there could possibly be in your hometown theater. Better be sharp on reservations.

:)
Music created by the fans, for the fans. . . . . . . . . . . . . . Vol. 1 | Vol. 2 | Vol. 3
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

wonder's boy wrote:Not to imply that I'm disappointed, but this film is getting awfully crowded. At least each character has potential in this film. Otherwise I'd be really worried.

However, Doug's character appears a bit younger and sexier than his game counter part *sorry SH3 VG Douglas fans*, but this may have a lot to do with him being human.

This only fuels my crave for the trailer even more. I swear, after I watch the trailer, I won't look at a spec of SH:R info until the film comes out, after which I will reserve three seats on opening night.

Three seats. That's three less than there could possibly be in your hometown theater. Better be sharp on reservations.

Besides this Suki character, how is the movie getting crowded? Every character confirmed for it was in the game.
Aerith Gainsborough

Post by Aerith Gainsborough »

WHAT!? I literally said, "You're lying!" I'm so thrilled! I was totally rooting for Douglas, and I'm so thrilled to hear that he's included in the film! :D

Also, I agree with you, Kristine. I definitely want those items!
I'm rarely on the forums anymore. Click here for ways to reach me.
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

Yuki wrote:
wonder's boy wrote:Not to imply that I'm disappointed, but this film is getting awfully crowded. At least each character has potential in this film. Otherwise I'd be really worried.

Besides this Suki character, how is the movie getting crowded? Every character confirmed for it was in the game.
Don't forget about Rose and Dahlia.
Mephisto

Post by Mephisto »

Good news, Douglas was an awesome character in SH3. I always wanted to play as him.

Like Wren said: I'm not really crazy about it but it should be good. Can't wait.
teosoleil
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by teosoleil »

Awesome! Glad all the main cast is back :) The new changes to all the characters should be interesting, though. I wonder if Heather is still a snappy teenager? I hope they add in at least some interesting scenes with the characters...and I also hope Douglas isn't just some minor character. He'll probably be what he was in the game: a detective hired by Claudia to track down Heather. Can't wait.
cascade88

Post by cascade88 »

I am highly excited to hear this!! Douglas is one of my very favorite characters from the Silent Hill series. I was pretty concerned he wouldn't be in it, but lo and behold, this is fantastic news. Thank you for letting us all know. :D
єเภ ןє๔єг єภﻮєl เรt รςђгєςкlเςђ
wonder's boy
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by wonder's boy »

Sounds like a lotta folks are happy about Douglas. :]

It'll be interesting to see how everyone's placed in the story versus the games. I'm still hung up on the character count thing, though. Perhaps I'm not equating it out right, so I'll try and list them all in comparison.

SH3 game = Heather/Alessa/Cheryl, Douglas, Claudia, Harry, Leonard, & Vincent. (And Stanley and the Phone Guy). I think that's the bulk, which is about six, possibly 8-10 if you're including every single minor character, and every form of Heather.

Movie = Heather/Alessa/Sharon, Harry/Chris, Douglas, Claudia, Leonard, Vincent, Rose, Dahlia, Suki, and this other guy, I can't remember his name. (Haha.) So again, about 10.

They're about equal. Remember, though, that SH3 is a game and this is probably going to be an hour and half long film. From my own experience, I've generally enjoyed films with fewer characters to focus on and more weight placed upon their importance in the story's plot and details, versus films that have a plethora of characters to focus on, regardless of how much they effect the story. Just my preference, which is why I thought it was getting a bit crowded as far as the cast goes. Also probably why I can't enjoy some TV shows. There are exceptions, though.

Of course, not every character is going to be at the front of the line, appearing in every scene and impacting the story's course all the way through. Ten or so characters actually isn't all that much when looked at this way. We already know that Rose and Dahlia won't be in too many scenes, and that a couple of other characters only have a scene or so. So I'm guessing we'll see Heather, Vincent, Claudia, and possibly Harry/Chris and Suki most of the time, which isn't that much at all. Then, there's Douglas. Perhaps he'll be there more than Harry/Chris and Suki.

I dunno. Just hope the characters add to the story versus being fillers or static, space wasters. While some will obviously die, I don't want to see senseless deaths. The first film was pretty good about this. Rose didn't even kill anything until the very end of the film, if I'm remembering it. Wonder what Heather's kill count will be...
Music created by the fans, for the fans. . . . . . . . . . . . . . Vol. 1 | Vol. 2 | Vol. 3
CrypticIdentity
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by CrypticIdentity »

I can understand the concern. If we look at the first film, we've got Sharon/Alessa, Rose, Chris, Christabella, Dahlia, Anna, Officer Gucci, Cybil, and Dahlia. That's nine, and I didn't feel like the first film was overcrowded (although I know there are a lot of people who would argue it was), even if the Chris/Gucci scenes were somewhat pointless.

I agree with you about the way the deaths in the first film worked. It's something that's been pretty consistent throughout the Silent Hill series--people don't die unless there's a reason for it. There aren't really any throwaway deaths for scare/gross factor. (Except maybe Homecoming, but I don't want to get into that. ^^; )
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

JKristine35 wrote:
Yuki wrote:

Oh, good point. Though I have a feeling their scenes will be rather short.

Also, as far as we're aware, Leonard's role in the film is incredibly small.
lucifero
Just Passing Through

Post by lucifero »

this guy - Jim Byrnes, should have been douglas in my opinion

totaly looks the part, blues singer and actor.........
played a 'watcher' in highlander tv series ages ago, does well as the detective type character, oh well.....what the hell...
teosoleil
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by teosoleil »

Yuki wrote:
JKristine35 wrote:
Yuki wrote:
Oh, good point. Though I have a feeling their scenes will be rather short.

Also, as far as we're aware, Leonard's role in the film is incredibly small.
In my opinion, I honestly don't want the movie as crowded as the first SH movie was--full of unnecessary characters and people that really destroyed the "isolated" aspect of SH. So far we have: Harry, Claudia, Vincent, Douglas, Leonard, Heather, Rose, Dahlia, Sukki, a James cameo (did anyone else forget)? That seems like a perfect amount of characters in my opinion, but SH:R doesn't seem quite crowded yet...
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

So if the movie really ends with
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
Harry, Heather, and Vincent walking out of Silent Hill together,
then does that mean
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
Douglas might die?