How Canonical To Team Silent's Work?

Discuss the latest about the second Silent Hill Movie

Moderator: Moderators

odd water
My Bestsellers Clerk

How Canonical To Team Silent's Work?

Post by odd water »

I haven't been keeping up. Thus far, how much confirmation has been established on the basis of which half of the Silent Hill universe this film will be based on? I realize that the films are heavily subjective and only rarely could they be considered canonical in any way whatsoever aside from the occasional abstract perspective, but do you think this film will be more related to Team Silent's make of Silent Hill, or the Collective's take on Silent Hill?
Kenji
Historical Society Historian

Re: How Canonical To Team Silent's Work?

Post by Kenji »

It's based on Silent Hill 3.
alone in the town

Post by alone in the town »

The first film existed entirely outside of series canon and I would not expect this one to be any different.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

The new movie is a sequel to the first movie.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Aerith Gainsborough

Post by Aerith Gainsborough »

Both the first movie and Revelation have both similarities and differences (Which are expected) between both Silent Hill and Silent Hill 3. It's expected that since the first film wasn't very canon, and Revelation is a sequel, then it's going to not be very canon, as well.

So far, we know the following things that aren't canon or could possibly not be canon (Anyone else feel free to add anything else, since I know I will most likely not cover it all):

-Vincent being Heather's boyfriend, as well as Vincent being around 17-18 years of age, rather than being in his 30's.
-The involvement of a girl named Suki.
-Pyramid Head's involvement, again.
-Possible lack of involvement with the 'God' (Unless they can make it work with the plot of the first movie, I doubt it's going to be part of this film, at least not in the way we know).
-The involvement of Rose in general, though that can go with the first film as well. She took the role of the 'Harry' figure in the first film, and appears to be replaced by Chris going by the alias 'Harry.'
-The name 'Harry' being an alias.
-A possible absence of Douglas Cartland as a character (We've actually speculated that Vincent will be a combination of both Vincent and Douglas from 3).
-A possible return to Midwich Elementary, though that hasn't been proven. I only say this because one of the filming locations is a high school (Also used in one of the RE films), but it could simply be used for a different location.
-The lack of death for Harry (assuming that the ending of the movie that has been claimed happens), as well as more involvement with Harry, rather than the lack of Harry in SH3.

I'll edit and add to this as more stuff comes to my head. Much of this is bound to change, due to some of these being assumptions a/o possibilities as more information comes out.
I'm rarely on the forums anymore. Click here for ways to reach me.
jdnation

Post by jdnation »

To answer your question simply.

The first film is not canon in the game's universe, it's its own thing.

This new movie is a direct sequel to the first movie and therefore is also not canon with the game's universe.

The movie and the games are both their own distinct things and do not add to each other except on an adaptation/inspirational level.

That said, the new movie intends to try and bring its universe more in line with that of the games, but will still not be part of the game's canon. How this works out is something we'll have to wait and see.
KiramidHead

Post by KiramidHead »

Lost Memories says Vincent was 24-25. Why they didn't specify, I have no idea.
Aerith Gainsborough

Post by Aerith Gainsborough »

^Really? I never really caught that. He looks quite a bit older than mid 20s.
I'm rarely on the forums anymore. Click here for ways to reach me.
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

Think of it this way: the movie takes cues and the basic, basic, basic plot from Silent Hill 3, but runs with it in its own direction. It has some of the same characters, but also has to contend with the first film's continuity.
Kenji

Post by Kenji »

So, I suppose the answer to odd water's question would be "Yes."
KiramidHead

Post by KiramidHead »

Aerith Gainsborough wrote:^Really? I never really caught that. He looks quite a bit older than mid 20s.
Yeah, he does look kind of old for being barely out of college.
globalwolf
Just Passing Through

Post by globalwolf »

The film universe is set in an entirely different canon, so not at all, really.