Interview with FX artist Paul Jones

Discuss the latest about the second Silent Hill Movie

Moderator: Moderators

JKristine35
Subway Guard

Interview with FX artist Paul Jones

Post by JKristine35 »

Notable points:
* Some monsters from the first movie return. They look the same but had to be rebuilt due to the props rotting over the years.
* 4 new designs appear
* Bassett wanted the film to be more about horror than art

http://www.shocktillyoudrop.com/news/16 ... paul-jones
FrankRD
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Re: Interview with FX artist Paul Jones

Post by FrankRD »

I don't understand what exactly did Bassett mean about wanting the film to be more about horror than art. Shouldn't it be both?

Oh, and, I think your thread was posted 3 times JK.
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

Yeah, my computer glitched and it posted 3 times. I've edited the other 2 posts so nobody replies to those, and I let the admins know about the mistake by using the report button on them. :(
Yuki
Historical Society Historian

Post by Yuki »

FrankRD wrote:I don't understand what exactly did Bassett mean about wanting the film to be more about horror than art. Shouldn't it be both?

Oh, and, I think your thread was posted 3 times JK.
I think that he meant he's more focused on making it an actual horror film with quality instead of just an ~art film~.
bl00dmuffin
Just Passing Through

Post by bl00dmuffin »

I'm a little disappointed about the "not an art film" thing. The thing I liked most about the first film -- and really, one of the most important things about the games for me -- is the heavy artistic aspect. I'd rather have something bizarrely pretty than something really scary. Hopefully it's at least atmospheric.
peronmls
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by peronmls »

THEY BETTER HAVE SH3 MONSTERS!
jdnation
Historical Society Historian

Post by jdnation »

In interviews, Bassett explained that he wanted the film to be scarier than the previous one. I guess arguably, the first film didn't send any chills down my spine... Aside from Pyramid Head, the other monsters didn't feel 'dangerously threathening.' Not that in the film's story they weren't, just that they weren't viscerally so for the audience... It was more symbol-focused than giving one the sense of extreme danger.

Bassett didn't say he was taking away the stuff that made the film artsy. Just that it would be more horrific, which doesn't necessarily mean at the expense of art. How precisely he'll achieve this remains to be seen. But the designs of the monsters will play a significant part. They must look scary visually. Or it might also be the case that Bassett might pull the designs back some more for the classic horror feeling where less is more. Maybe a bit of both. Creature behavior and movement will also play a part.

Anyway, those are just ideas... Bassett said he didn't find the first film to be scary, so he's probably aiming to turn things up a notch with regards to stuff that happens... possibly more deaths or more violence... It'll all depend on how it's handled.
Monster
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Monster »

If you consider Jacob's Ladder(a pretty artsy film) to be more horrific than the first SH film, (which I do) then this might not be a bad thing. The first film really felt more like a showcase for the silent hill theme, and on top of that it never really felt dangerous to me. The protagonist mostly escaped the danger, I thought it would have been cooler if she kept dying and waking up, losing her grip on reality or something like that.

The statement does confuse me though, I'm not sure what he means by art or how it relates to the first film, other than the fact that Gans seemed to want it to be an art film.
"Star Wars is like the thing that isn't remotely cool anymore but that nobody will stop talking about of my generation" -Me.
phantomess
Moderator & Cult Member
Moderator & Cult Member

Post by phantomess »

Monster wrote:The first film really felt more like a showcase for the silent hill theme, and on top of that it never really felt dangerous to me. The protagonist mostly escaped the danger, I thought it would have been cooler if she kept dying and waking up, losing her grip on reality or something like that.
I'd think that her dying and always waking up would make it seem less dangerous.