What do you hope they DO change?

Discuss the latest about the second Silent Hill Movie

Moderator: Moderators

DistantJ
Rosewater Park Attendant

What do you hope they DO change?

Post by DistantJ »

So I've read a lot of 'I hope they keep this/that from the game', and people getting frustrated at apparent changes, but this one, from what we've heard, seems to make every effort to be as loyal to the plot of the game as the first film was to the spirit of it. Obviously a little bit of 'ret-conning' (sort of) is in place, such as characters changing their names, Valtiel being brought in, The Order being introduced as a separate cult etc., to bring things in line with the game without completely destroying the first film and alienating people who haven't played the games but loved the first movie.

This is great, but I firmly believe that there isn't a single video game in existence that would make a good movie if adapted exactly. There usually have to be some kind of changes for them to work on the big screen. Guaranteed, there will be plenty, but what do you hope they do change from the game? Perhaps there's something you don't like about the game that you think could be improved, or perhaps there's something in the game you like but think it would just suck in a movie?
Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song, and there's always music in the air.
KiramidHead
Historical Society Historian

Re: What do you hope they DO change?

Post by KiramidHead »

I think Douglas should actually accomplish something in the plot. I mean, there's a whole page in Lost Memories describing how useless he is. Also, no Claudia accent. Honestly, why does she sound English? On the whole, however, I'd just like to see similar events to the game that play out in a different manner, so that I can be genuinely surprised.
CrypticIdentity
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by CrypticIdentity »

I don't think this is going to be an issue, but the biggest thing that I hope (and am pretty sure) that Bassett changed was some of the dialogue. I really hope "They look like monsters to you?" somehow DID make it in, but I think we can do without
Heather wrote:Shut yer stinkin' mouth, bitch!
or that wonderful gem,
Vincent wrote:Let's get this party started! Heather, go ahead and kill this crazy bitch.
Arguably there are ways to deliver lines like these without sounding completely silly, but in any case, a line for line transposition of the video game to the film wouldn't be very interesting to watch--similar to what KiramidHead is saying about wanting to be surprised.

They seemed to like throwing "bitch" around in SH3, didn't they?
DistantJ
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DistantJ »

KiramidHead wrote:no Claudia accent. Honestly, why does she sound English?
It's really odd that her father is American but she is English... Makes no sense, she obviously was just cast with an English accent because she's a villain, and I know how much you Americans love doing that (we are not evil!), in the movie though, I won't be surprised if they ask Carrie-Anne Moss to attempt an English accent because Malcolm McDowell is cast as her father, and I've never seen him do an American accent.
Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song, and there's always music in the air.
wonder's boy
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by wonder's boy »

CrypticIdentity wrote:I don't think this is going to be an issue, but the biggest thing that I hope (and am pretty sure) that Bassett changed was some of the dialogue. I really hope "They look like monsters to you?" somehow DID make it in, but I think we can do without
Heather wrote:Shut yer stinkin' mouth, bitch!
or that wonderful gem,
Vincent wrote:Let's get this party started! Heather, go ahead and kill this crazy bitch.
Arguably there are ways to deliver lines like these without sounding completely silly, but in any case, a line for line transposition of the video game to the film wouldn't be very interesting to watch--similar to what KiramidHead is saying about wanting to be surprised.

They seemed to like throwing "bitch" around in SH3, didn't they?
You kidding? Those were the only good lines in that whole game... :P

But no, really, I agree that they can be changed to fit the film. Actually, about 99.99% of the dialogue they might use from any of the games can be changed and improved for the film. From what I know, dialogue wasn't ever really a constant strength of the games or the first film, and while both worlds had their moments and lines, I believe this sequel could use a massive talk makeover.

So that's probably what I hope they do change, really, or more like improve. I agree, Claudia doesn't really have to sound English-y, but keeping her tone mysterious and cool would be nice, which I believe her actress can pull off quite well.
Music created by the fans, for the fans. . . . . . . . . . . . . . Vol. 1 | Vol. 2 | Vol. 3
DistantJ
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DistantJ »

I would LOVE to hear Adeleide shout "Shut your stinking mouth, bitch!!", it would be an awesome in-joke for fans of the game and with the right delivery it could be really satisfying!
wonder's boy
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by wonder's boy »

I would love to hear movie Vincent call any of these characters a crazy bitch.
Music created by the fans, for the fans. . . . . . . . . . . . . . Vol. 1 | Vol. 2 | Vol. 3
leftshoe18
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by leftshoe18 »

I just want them to make a good movie. If they change EVERYTHING from the game to do it, I honestly do not care. In my opinion, they should've done a Twilight-Zone-like anthology series for the Silent Hill movies anyway instead of trying to adapt specific games.
DistantJ
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DistantJ »

I'll add mine -

I hope they change the battle with 'God' if it gets born/half-born like it does in the game. I mean Heather kind of ran around avoiding attacks from this giant pelvis/torso whose main attack was to... fall over. I think that if it's to be featured it needs a redesign, and it needs to be more than just 'Heather fights it in a room'. I loved how the first movie's climactic moment had Alessa resembling the final boss from SH2, but slaughtering all of the cult, there was a certain rapport going on between Alessa and Rose, and Rose wasn't 'fighting it' but rather defending herself from the cult members and protecting Sharon. Imagine if it had just been that thing in a room with Rose with a gun? It just wouldn't work.

So yeah, basically I hope SH2 has a different take on the climactic 'battle'.
teosoleil
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by teosoleil »

-If there is a beginning dream sequence, they need to change it so that it adds in more relevance to the plot and some actual foreshadowing to a more important location. I mean, Lakeside Amusement Park was cool and had important aspects but I feel a scene in the church with the god or anything more important in the movie would be better.

-If the decide to keep the adventure actually in Silent Hill being halfway throughout the movie, then at least make the transition better with better locations and character interactions than the game did. Douglas's meeting was intriguing but I hope it's handled differently. I also hope meeting Claudia is handled differently instead of just finding her in the mall hallway and saying random cryptic dialogue.

-I think they can change monster design to be a little bit more exciting, and they should come up with more than one original monster this time, hopefully more abstract and less human as the Janitor.
FrankRD
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by FrankRD »

DistantJ wrote:I'll add mine -

I hope they change the battle with 'God' if it gets born/half-born like it does in the game. I mean Heather kind of ran around avoiding attacks from this giant pelvis/torso whose main attack was to... fall over. I think that if it's to be featured it needs a redesign, and it needs to be more than just 'Heather fights it in a room'. I loved how the first movie's climactic moment had Alessa resembling the final boss from SH2, but slaughtering all of the cult, there was a certain rapport going on between Alessa and Rose, and Rose wasn't 'fighting it' but rather defending herself from the cult members and protecting Sharon. Imagine if it had just been that thing in a room with Rose with a gun? It just wouldn't work.

Holy shit, this is like what I've been wanting to say ever since the movie started filming. Sadly, I never found quite the way to explain it. I'm really skeptic as to what they will do for the climatic battle, I thought the strategy they used for the first movie's was actually quite clever, and I can't really find another way of doing the climatic battle without having the final boss attack a lot of people instead of simply trying to attack the protagonist.

Has Silent Hill really even had any humanoid final bosses, except for Maria? Not that I can recall.

SH1's was a huge flying monster, not really a humanoid.

SH2's as we know was the only humanoid boss, who also levitated, and actually had some clever attacks, this one was chosen for obvious reasons for the first movie.

SH3's, well, do I even need to say anything?

SH4 had a humanoid body, but was way too big.

SH5's had a spider form, to me it's definitely out of the question.

Origins', you ask? He actually doesn't look that bad, but his face seems straight out of The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask.

Basically, SH2's had an advantage that none of the other bosses have. This being, the fact that it's the only one who could actually attack various victims at a time. SH1's is a possibility (Priest had similar monsters), but it wouldn't really compare to Alessa's revenge from the first movie. Those wires were just demented, and I can't say the same for a monster who will only fly one way to the other, taking victims (who will probably be running and screaming) one by one like a goofy Scooby-Doo movie.

But, this is really just a general analyzation. I don't think SH:R will find another way to combine different bosses into one, perhaps they created a completely new monster to fill the boss position?
KiramidHead

Post by KiramidHead »

FrankRD wrote:

Holy shit, this is like what I've been wanting to say ever since the movie started filming. Sadly, I never found quite the way to explain it. I'm really skeptic as to what they will do for the climatic battle, I thought the strategy they used for the first movie's was actually quite clever, and I can't really find another way of doing the climatic battle without having the final boss attack a lot of people instead of simply trying to attack the protagonist.

Has Silent Hill really even had any humanoid final bosses, except for Maria? Not that I can recall.

SH2's as we know was the only humanoid boss, who also levitated, and actually had some clever attacks, this one was chosen for obvious reasons for the first movie.

Origins', you ask? He actually doesn't look that bad, but his face seems straight out of The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask.

Basically, SH2's had an advantage that none of the other bosses have. This being, the fact that it's the only one who could actually attack various victims at a time. SH1's is a possibility (Priest had similar monsters), but it wouldn't really compare to Alessa's revenge from the first movie. Those wires were just demented, and I can't say the same for a monster who will only fly one way to the other, taking victims (who will probably be running and screaming) one by one like a goofy Scooby-Doo movie.

But, this is really just a general analyzation. I don't think SH:R will find another way to combine different bosses into one, perhaps they created a completely new monster to fill the boss position?
I've been toying with an idea of how to pull off the fight with God. Remember the note in SH3 explaining the meaning behind the Halo of the Sun? There was a passage in there that mentioned that drawing the Halo in blue was an offense against God. So, I'm thinking that perhaps some ritual magic involving drawing a blue HotS might work.
FrankRD
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by FrankRD »

KiramidHead wrote:
FrankRD wrote:

I've been toying with an idea of how to pull off the fight with God. Remember the note in SH3 explaining the meaning behind the Halo of the Sun? There was a passage in there that mentioned that drawing the Halo in blue was an offense against God. So, I'm thinking that perhaps some ritual magic involving drawing a blue HotS might work.
That's an interesting idea. I didn't quite remember that - if you come up with something solid please share it, it'll be quite a delight to read! :)
CrypticIdentity
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by CrypticIdentity »

KiramidHead wrote:I've been toying with an idea of how to pull off the fight with God. Remember the note in SH3 explaining the meaning behind the Halo of the Sun? There was a passage in there that mentioned that drawing the Halo in blue was an offense against God. So, I'm thinking that perhaps some ritual magic involving drawing a blue HotS might work.
I do remember that--and I also remember thinking it was disappointing that we never saw it utilized in the game, so it could be cool to see it in the movie. Then again, it could also seem kind of deus ex machina ("Oh! Just change the color of the crazy symbol, and it hurts God!"), and plus, to me, it would make the final battle feel more rooted in plot device than a genuine character moment. Which, depending on whether or not the emotional climax of the story coincides with the final battle, could matter or not matter.

And this is all, of course, assuming that there IS a final battle between Heather and God at all.
KiramidHead

Post by KiramidHead »

My idea would have Heather drawing out a large Halo of the Sun on the floor in blue, then getting the God to stand on it. God would have to be really slow and dumb to fall for that, and Heather would have to dodge a lot of attacks. Also, the HotS is a ludicrously complex symbol to draw, but they could implement the stripped down version seen in Homecoming to deal with that.
RinoTheBouncer
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by RinoTheBouncer »

I just hope that the movie is long enough to be entertaining and also interesting enough to keep you at the edge of your seat the whole time even if it was 3 hours long.

I also wish that we won't have any open endings nor losing important characters. Let it be a happy ending, so what? Alessa suffered enough in her past self and as Heather too, so did Sharon and Rose, I guess it's about time to give them all the happy life they wish, of course after taking them on a journey through Silent Hill that neither they nor we will ever get over.

One of the things I wish they change is revelation itself. In SH film, we've learned that Alessa is Sharon so that thing that we were told in SH3 was already told in SH1 movie so I guess this time we should learn something else and it better not be pretty self explanatory, it better be a a jaw dropping twist rather than something that explains itself from the first scene moving 30 minutes through the movie. It also better not be something unconvincing or feels forced into the script.
Twitter: @RinoTheBouncer | www.rinothebouncer.com | Instagram: @RinoTheBouncer
Aerith Gainsborough

Post by Aerith Gainsborough »

I hope they don't change it so much to make it absolutely farfetch'd and awkward. I didn't really care for the barb wire assault during the ending of the first (which was taken directly from a weird anime). Yeah, that was a little too much. I'd rather they not throw stuff like that in again...
I'm rarely on the forums anymore. Click here for ways to reach me.
KiramidHead

Post by KiramidHead »

I'd like for them to make the town more important in the movie than it was in the game. Instead of just walking down a couple of streets towards the hospital and then the amusement park, make the town more significant to the plot.
peronmls
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by peronmls »

I would change the story being a squeal from the first movie.
mikefile
Gravedigger

Post by mikefile »

I honestly wouldn't go with the same dressing combo as the game characters. It would look a bit frivolous and silly. From some pics I've seen, they didn't go with the exact clothing. It was similiar, yes, but they did some greater changes so that it looks familiar, but applies to today's world, too. I really wouldn't like to see Moss wearing that bulky ol' costume Claudia was wearing.