Producer email: SHR likely a 2013 release

Discuss the latest about the second Silent Hill Movie

Moderator: Moderators

rm2kking
Historical Society Historian

Re: Producer email: SHR likely a 2013 release

Post by rm2kking »

I honestly don't care if it's bad. Many people think the first Silent Hill movie was horrible, but I like it. I'm sure I'll like at least something about Revelation. I'm not expecting to dislike it, in other words.
I dreamed I lay in a dark valley and all around me were the titanic forms of archangels. I heard distant voices and I knew these supernatural warriors were chanting a litany...
"We are the Warriors at the End of Time. We are the lost, the last, the unkind. We are the Warriors on the Edge of Time and we're tired, we're tired... We're tired of making love..."
Trauma_
Gravedigger

Post by Trauma_ »

WelcomeToNowhere wrote:
Wikipedia.org wrote:He said that the development team intended to make Silent Hill a masterpiece rather than a traditional sales-oriented game, and that they opted for an engaging story, which would persist over time – similar to successful literature.
Holy shit. An honest to jeebus citation. AuraTwilight, I think this makes your argument invalid. :shock:
Holy shit, an honest to jeebus citation from a "source" that's easily editable, that reads like it was written by someone trying to downplay the newer games, and on top of that- it links to an article that isn't easily found and may not even exist at all. I think this makes your argument invalid :shock:

You like to whine a lot... I mean, wishing violence on a film production company for delaying a movie that you'll ultimately hate anyways? Whether you were joking or not, what are you... 13?

Anyways, the point of Aura's post was that you're kidding yourself if you don't think Team Silent were trying to make money off of their product.
rm2kking

Post by rm2kking »

Hey man I just read it and paraphrased it. It may be valid it may not be. If it is, then that's real cool, if it's not then oh well. I don't know who's argument you are talking about, as I was making none. I just think it's be great to see this movie sooner rather than later, but if I cannot, it can't be helped.

And obviously Konami and Team Silent were looking to make money too, but that wasn't the focus. They were trying to make a work of art. Art must be sold for the artist to make more art. I'm in art school, I know this, but it means more when the creator puts more into it than just hope for profit.

The point of my post was that it's great to have a game developer that cares about us fans. I was merely wishing the producers of the films had the same level of regard for us.

Also, I don't really think it's a question of validity here. It's more bantering back and forth with opinions and speculations.
I dreamed I lay in a dark valley and all around me were the titanic forms of archangels. I heard distant voices and I knew these supernatural warriors were chanting a litany...
"We are the Warriors at the End of Time. We are the lost, the last, the unkind. We are the Warriors on the Edge of Time and we're tired, we're tired... We're tired of making love..."
Trauma_
Gravedigger

Post by Trauma_ »

I was mostly talking to WelcomeToNowhere with my post but I can definitely sympathize with you in regards to art school. Considering I'm right smack dab in the middle of that myself.

It's not like the creators of Origins and Homecoming where just looking for an excuse to roll in piles of money like many accuse them of though- they just had horrible luck and ended up making shoddy games.

But I do agree that pushing it forward is somewhat ridiculous,just for the sake of pushing it forward.
WelcomeToNowhere
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by WelcomeToNowhere »

^You seem to be taking the things a total stranger says on the internet seriously, Trauma_. I've never wished bodily harm on a film producer (Uwe Boll does not count, as he is a god-awful director), I don't really believe Silent Hill is only an art project and not a way to make money, too, and I do indeed think we landed on the moon in the '60s.

I'm doing my best to keep up the witty banter, and you're taking the fun out of all of it. Stop that. :/

Now, back on topic, a sooner release date is better. We have press exposure with the trainload of newer titles, one of which is ACTUALLY good, one of which is NOT, and one is unreleased but looks BAAAAAD. If they get it out there right now-ish, we'll get a bunch of people to see it, Lionsgate gets their money, and we get our movie. :D

EDIT: I never said I hated the first movie, either. I loved the first movie, and it was my first Silent Hill experience. It scared me, creeped the ever-loving shit out of me, and starred Radha Mitchell, who can do no wrong.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

rm2kking wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silent_Hill#Design

Third paragraph. It was said by Takayoshi Sato.
Am I really one to make stuff up?
Oh cool, a wikipedia article that cites a Swedish article that doesn't exist anymore.

You haven't proven anything. And it's simply ignorant for one to say that money and artistic motives are at all antithetical to each other.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
rm2kking

Post by rm2kking »

You haven't read my later posts, Aura, that's obvious.

Must I quote my entire last post?
Hey man I just read it and paraphrased it. It may be valid it may not be. If it is, then that's real cool, if it's not then oh well. I don't know who's argument you are talking about, as I was making none. I just think it's be great to see this movie sooner rather than later, but if I cannot, it can't be helped.

And obviously Konami and Team Silent were looking to make money too, but that wasn't the focus. They were trying to make a work of art. Art must be sold for the artist to make more art. I'm in art school, I know this, but it means more when the creator puts more into it than just hope for profit.

The point of my post was that it's great to have a game developer that cares about us fans. I was merely wishing the producers of the films had the same level of regard for us.

Also, I don't really think it's a question of validity here. It's more bantering back and forth with opinions and speculations.
WelcomeToNowhere
Brookhaven Receptionist

It's more a question of who can understand my fairly bizarre sense of humor. Some people do, some people... don't.

Konami... they don't really care about the fans as much anymore. They haven't since they dissolved Team Silent after the completion of Silent Hill 4, which they apparently did to ship the development off to other companies. That way, Konami makes money with less effort or risk.
rm2kking

Post by rm2kking »

Silent Hill's current producers seem to care about our opinions. They thanked Silent Hill Heaven in Downpour's credits. They change things when we complain. We got exclusive Shattered Memories Q&A with Tomm Hulett. That's what I'm talking about.

Artists need to make money. Everybody needs to make money. But art should be about art first, and I consider Silent Hill to be art.
Trauma_
Gravedigger

Post by Trauma_ »

WelcomeToNowhere wrote:^You seem to be taking the things a total stranger says on the internet seriously
Maybe you do have an "edgy" or "bizarre" sense of humor .Or simply that you need to grow up? :roll:
Last edited by Trauma_ on 01 Apr 2012, edited 1 time in total.
VIVIsect

Post by VIVIsect »

AuraTwilight wrote:
rm2kking wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silent_Hill#Design

Third paragraph. It was said by Takayoshi Sato.
Am I really one to make stuff up?
Oh cool, a wikipedia article that cites a Swedish article that doesn't exist anymore.

You haven't proven anything. And it's simply ignorant for one to say that money and artistic motives are at all antithetical to each other.
I may be wrong, but I assume the Wikipedia article is referencing this interview with Sato:

"Usually there are many people to satisfy in game development. When there’s too many cooks in the kitchen, you get products that lack focus, have no edge and are simply boring. But Silent Hill 1 became very successful and I got three awards for it. That allowed me to pursue my own creative vision. Now I realize that that was a very rare situation. But it offered me a chance to prove that a highly artistic project can sell without any particular marketing elements. I am more interested in profound artwork that remains in people’s hearts for a long time than quick money-raking products. I thought that if Silent Hill 2 remained a masterpiece for a long time, its profits would exceed major products eventually. Hit products tend to be born like this: simply as the result of someone’s creative pursuit."
nobody is anybody
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

You haven't read my later posts, Aura, that's obvious.
I did, I just didn't give a shit about it. It really wasn't relevant to what I was specifically addressing.
I thought that if Silent Hill 2 remained a masterpiece for a long time, its profits would exceed major products eventually.
This speaks wonders.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
VenusDoom
Hope House Careworker

Post by VenusDoom »

rm2kking wrote:Silent Hill's current producers seem to care about our opinions. They thanked Silent Hill Heaven in Downpour's credits. They change things when we complain. We got exclusive Shattered Memories Q&A with Tomm Hulett. That's what I'm talking about.

Artists need to make money. Everybody needs to make money. But art should be about art first, and I consider Silent Hill to be art.
These are movie studio producers. Not game producers. I doubt Konami has much say in anything regarding the movies.

WelcomeToNowhere wrote:It's more a question of who can understand my fairly bizarre sense of humor. Some people do, some people... don't.

Konami... they don't really care about the fans as much anymore. They haven't since they dissolved Team Silent after the completion of Silent Hill 4, which they apparently did to ship the development off to other companies. That way, Konami makes money with less effort or risk.
Konami DOES appreciate us as fans. Go watch the credits of Downpour, Shattered Memories, Origins, look at what Tomm's posted on here, what Tom Waltz has posted on here. There was never even a team silent either.
Cry baby, cry baby, cry,<3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_DW9xJTX-4
I love the Silent Hill Series. The games: Homecoming, Origins, and Shattered Memories, did nothing wrong whatsoever, they were developed well, and did things different. Just because they were not by Team Silent doesn't mean that they're bad games. I believe in this series. I believe that one day, we can have a game that will make all Silent Hill fans Happy. I believe that Silent Hill Downpour can achieve this.
Team Silent may be gone, but their series isn't. Instead... it's here, it's alive.

If you agree, add it to your sig.
Mephisto

Post by Mephisto »

^ It depends.

Some of the people who are involved directly with the media (games, comics) do care about the fanbase but those who manage the bills (i.e the big bad boy Konami who produce the big franchises and delegate chores) doesn't even acknowledge, or think, anything about us.

This sort of feedback is quite normal in the industry. By getting in contact with the fandom, those who work with the games for example, can extract ideas and even share others.

The others don't need that sort of thing because it's not important for them. They just want to make a series die of old age instead of disease to eventually produce more children to get more cash. It always happened and it will always happen.
Droo

Post by Droo »

Keep it civil, everyone. My banhammer has gotten rather dusty and I would love to use it again. ;)

On topic: January. Ouch. People are right when they say that is dumping ground for crappy movies. On the plus side, the lack of competition means it could turn a decent profit.
"Oh yeah, I've been here before
I can see it with eyes closed
Shadows that look like blood
Dead as far as the mind goes
Fear that comes from my head
Lives in the mirror"
Numb Body01

Post by Numb Body01 »

The Devil Inside managed that pretty well earlier this year. We'll see I guess.
Music created by the fans, for the fans. . . . . . . . . . . . . . Vol. 1 | Vol. 2 | Vol. 3
WelcomeToNowhere
Brookhaven Receptionist

^Yeah, but The Devil Inside was awful! It didn't make a whole lot of sense, the acting was as wooden as a stump, and it ended on a cliffhanger that did nothing but piss me off. It only proves that January is the toxic waste dump of movies, barring a rare exception or two.

Hopefully, it'll come out sometime in the late summer or midfall, so it doesn't get thrown in the month release garbage bin.

Trauma, please stop being mean to me. It's unprofessional.
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

WelcomeToNowhere wrote:^Yeah, but The Devil Inside was awful! It didn't make a whole lot of sense, the acting was as wooden as a stump, and it ended on a cliffhanger that did nothing but piss me off. It only proves that January is the toxic waste dump of movies, barring a rare exception or two.
How does January being a place for movies that people know probably won't do well automatically mean Revelation is bad? We already know chances are it won't do too well in the theatres.
WelcomeToNowhere
Brookhaven Receptionist

^I never said I thought SH:R would be bad! What I mean is, the common association of "January Movies = Bad Movies" could turn people off from wanting to watch it. If they assign SH:R a better place for a release date, the film might get better money than otherwise, since it avoids the whole shitty-movie shitty-slot thing.

Besides that, the first Silent Hill movie was great, let no-one tell you otherwise. ^-^
DistantJ
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DistantJ »

None of Bassett's films have done particularly well or been given good treatment by the studios, but all of them have been fantastic movies with cult followings. I can imagine this being equally cult. It's just a shame that they aren't giving it a chance to do well because, of course, if it does well there'd be a Silent Hill 3, and 4, and so-on, and there are so many great SH stories that deserve to be told to non-gamers, or even new, movie-only stories (and I want Tom Waltz to get the chance to write them).

Anyway, the e-mail said 'still deciding', so we know nothing so far. Perhaps with enough demand they can be convinced to give it better treatment...
Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song, and there's always music in the air.