OFFICIAL First footage! Nurses, Vincent and Heather!

Discuss the latest about the second Silent Hill Movie

Moderator: Moderators

wonder's boy
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Re: OFFICIAL First footage! Nurses, Vincent and Heather!

Post by wonder's boy »

^ This is an awesome way of looking at it. I felt the same way as the nurse monsters being guards. The above interpretation of their symbolism is very spot on for how I took them to be in the film world of Silent Hill.

Also, this is just the beginning of this scenario as far as we know. If the nurses were in their most threatening state at the start of the scene, there wouldn't be much to build up to. If I may assume, the scene probably gets more intense and the nurses more threatening after the bit we're shown cuts off. Who knows how they escape after Vincent's freed from the gurney, but I doubt it's a cakewalk...
Music created by the fans, for the fans. . . . . . . . . . . . . . Vol. 1 | Vol. 2 | Vol. 3
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

I think the nurses look the way they do because of Alessa's jealousy in regards to the beauty of Lisa. Think about it: a little girl burned so badly that she will never be anything but a twisted husk of a human even when her burns heal sees a beautiful, busty woman working at the hospital. She is jealous, knowing she will never grow into anything even sort of beautiful or pretty. And so she manifests twisted incarnations of this jealousy, overly sexualized and faceless. In a sense, all of those nurses are based off of one person: Lisa.
wonder's boy

Post by wonder's boy »

^ That's something I forgot all about! Yes, I believe I came across this idea before. It may have even been from you. Either way, both ideas fit nicely into the world of movie Silent Hill.

The latter also gives a respectable reason for their busty and nastily lusty appearance, which makes me feel loads better than them just being that way because they draw attention from audiences.
Music created by the fans, for the fans. . . . . . . . . . . . . . Vol. 1 | Vol. 2 | Vol. 3
KiramidHead
Historical Society Historian

Post by KiramidHead »

MJB Tweeted about the clip:

IGN said 'nurses' clip was R-rated but it isn't; the other half of the sequence defo is though :) They put up what was shown at SDCC.

https://twitter.com/michaeljbassett/sta ... 1289865216
teosoleil
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by teosoleil »

Wonder what's in the other half? Must involve Heather going God-mode on those nurses :) haha.
Magnolia
Just Passing Through

Post by Magnolia »

Gorgeous, gorgeous, excellent.
Image Image
Monster
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Monster »

The fact that they're using pretty much the same nurses from the first movie, as well as the same gimmick where they stop-and-go just demonstrates a lack of creativity. I wasn't impressed at all by this scene, there's nothing about the nurse's movements that don't scream, "extras in costumes moving on cues."

I just can't help but see it as another movie producer's lame idea of what makes silent hill 'cool' and marketable. Silent Hill games are based on so many great, groundbreaking films, it's a shame that when it comes time for the franchise to step up to the big screen, it just ends up being another attempt to sell the superficial aspects of the games rather than build on the type of storytelling and subtle moods and atmosphere that the games engineered. It's like they just don't care: "Yep, we're putting Pyramid Head in the movie because he's the marketable Silent Hill mascot. Yep, we're putting nurses in there too cause THAT'S what Silent Hill is all about!"

I mean really, they couldn't even be bothered to change the designs of the nurses?
"Star Wars is like the thing that isn't remotely cool anymore but that nobody will stop talking about of my generation" -Me.
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

Monster wrote:The fact that they're using pretty much the same nurses from the first movie, as well as the same gimmick where they stop-and-go just demonstrates a lack of creativity. I wasn't impressed at all by this scene, there's nothing about the nurse's movements that don't scream, "extras in costumes moving on cues."

I just can't help but see it as another movie producer's lame idea of what makes silent hill 'cool' and marketable. Silent Hill games are based on so many great, groundbreaking films, it's a shame that when it comes time for the franchise to step up to the big screen, it just ends up being another attempt to sell the superficial aspects of the games rather than build on the type of storytelling and subtle moods and atmosphere that the games engineered. It's like they just don't care: "Yep, we're putting Pyramid Head in the movie because he's the marketable Silent Hill mascot. Yep, we're putting nurses in there too cause THAT'S what Silent Hill is all about!"

I mean really, they couldn't even be bothered to change the designs of the nurses?
This movie still deals with Alessa. Why on earth would they change how her monsters look or act? Regardless of if you liked the nurses/Pyramid Head being in the first movie or not, the fact is they're part of Alessa's psyche in the film continuity now. Not using them--replacing them with other monsters--would be inconsistent.
KingCrimson
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by KingCrimson »

I think they could have gotten a little more creative with the movements, yeah. One of the most unsettling effects is when you record someone walking backwards and reverse the footage. Gives everything a jerky, surreal quality. Something like that, I guess, would make the nurses look less like underwear models playing freeze-tag.
Monster
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Monster »

Why on earth would they change how her monsters look or act?
Same reason they do it from game to game. A new production is a chance to make new art, not completely recycle what they used on the previous. Yeah, there's no rule that they have to, but I think that just because they want it to look consistent with the monsters in the previous movie is a poor excuse. Arguably, the monsters in SH1 and 3 were Alessa's and they were very different between the two games.
"Star Wars is like the thing that isn't remotely cool anymore but that nobody will stop talking about of my generation" -Me.
jdnation

Post by jdnation »

Monster wrote:The fact that they're using pretty much the same nurses from the first movie, as well as the same gimmick where they stop-and-go just demonstrates a lack of creativity. I wasn't impressed at all by this scene, there's nothing about the nurse's movements that don't scream, "extras in costumes moving on cues."
Others might prefer to see this as consistency. If it's still the same issue if future films have new protagonists then you'd have a valid problem. But then again, what did the games do differently with regards to the nurses? They all tried to kill you with sharp pointy objects...

Well, except for Silent Hill 4...
I just can't help but see it as another movie producer's lame idea of what makes silent hill 'cool' and marketable. Silent Hill games are based on so many great, groundbreaking films, it's a shame that when it comes time for the franchise to step up to the big screen, it just ends up being another attempt to sell the superficial aspects of the games rather than build on the type of storytelling and subtle moods and atmosphere that the games engineered.
The game's had plenty of their own gamey moments too, from surrounding you with monsters forcing you into action to boss battles. You haven't seen anything else from the film to make such extravagant criticisms.
It's like they just don't care: "Yep, we're putting Pyramid Head in the movie because he's the marketable Silent Hill mascot. Yep, we're putting nurses in there too cause THAT'S what Silent Hill is all about!"
God forbid they use something familiar to market a film sequel... You might as well complain that all the games gave up, and lacked imagination for always using a flashlight and radio all the time. Silent Hill 4 tried to change formula, and most people complained.
It is likely because the nurses serve the same function and symbolism as the first film because they're tied to the same character. So it's consistent. What would you have done differently and what purpose would the changes serve, or do you just want difference for its own sake? C'mon now...
The Demon
Just Passing Through

Post by The Demon »

JKristine35 wrote:^ Except that post production was completed several months ago, so what excuse could they possibly have for using an unfinished clip? Let's also not forget that this is not something a fan recorded on their phone, but a clip that was officially released online in conjunction with the screening at Comic Con. There is no reason why this clip should be anything other than the completed version.
It's my understanding that films wanting to show clips at Comic-Con have to submit them for review and approval long before Comic-Con itself, but I may be wrong. It's possible this was submitted before the final tweaks.
JKristine35 wrote:I think the nurses look the way they do because of Alessa's jealousy in regards to the beauty of Lisa. Think about it: a little girl burned so badly that she will never be anything but a twisted husk of a human even when her burns heal sees a beautiful, busty woman working at the hospital. She is jealous, knowing she will never grow into anything even sort of beautiful or pretty. And so she manifests twisted incarnations of this jealousy, overly sexualized and faceless. In a sense, all of those nurses are based off of one person: Lisa.
Completely agreed. I know many people debate the necessity of some of the monsters in the first film, all of them DO have a reason and symbolic purpose for being there (often from both Rose's and Alessa's psyche). Although the Nurses may have come from a different symbolic reasoning in SH2, they take on a new one in Alessa's story in the movie (one that in my opinion, works just as well as their original purpose).
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

Monster wrote:
Why on earth would they change how her monsters look or act?
Same reason they do it from game to game. A new production is a chance to make new art, not completely recycle what they used on the previous. Yeah, there's no rule that they have to, but I think that just because they want it to look consistent with the monsters in the previous movie is a poor excuse. Arguably, the monsters in SH1 and 3 were Alessa's and they were very different between the two games.
I still think there's no reason to lack consistency.
clips

Post by clips »

I completely agree with this...these games were based on or at least inspired by films like jacobs ladder. These films need to be as terrifying and disturbing as the material that inspired them. It needs a more serious theme. The nurses and their ridiculous movements at this point looks incredibly hokey.

There really is potential to make a serious horror film out of this movie, yet it seems that the directors are still looking at this from the viewpoint that this movie is based on a videogame....and the result is cheese.
Monster
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Monster »

I wouldn't mind them using Nurses or Pyramid Head as much if they at least changed the designs, or did SOMETHING new, creative, different.

Consistency isn't better than creativity. I'd be willing to bet that ANYONE here would choose new art over used designs if it was your call. You've seen the nurses from the first movie. Heck, they even showed up in Homecoming. You know what to expect. It's not scary when you've seen them already. It becomes familiar.

I hate when people put too much emphasis on consistency and canon, especially in a series like Silent Hill, where it's always implied that what's going on is happening in the character's minds, it's subjective, not solidly grounded in reality.

It is likely because the nurses serve the same function and symbolism as the first film because they're tied to the same character. So it's consistent.

Again, I pointed out that SH3 was pretty much a direct sequel to 1, and in both games the monsters are pretty much being manifest by Alessa. They are radically different in both games. If what's going on in the movie is pretty much what happened in the games, (Alessa reincarnated as Heather) then why wouldn't it also be logical to make movie Heather's monsters also different?
What would you have done differently and what purpose would the changes serve, or do you just want difference for its own sake? C'mon now...
Well in entertainment, difference is pretty much essential, otherwise you end up giving the audience stuff they've already seen and losing their interest. It's the fact that not only are they re-using nurses, but ALSO re-using the designs that looks lazy to me. The purpose of the difference is making good art that at least offers new perspectives on old concepts. And it especially makes sense with Silent Hill, where you are supposed to be removed from the comfort zone of the familiar. That was one of the reasons I praised Shattered Memories for totally defying people's expectations, while remaining true to the core idea.
Karakulz
Just Passing Through

Post by Karakulz »

I think the clip looks promising, and ofcourse will most likely be even better one we see the lead up to the situation.

I think it could definately do with some lighting adjustments but its not a HUGE deal so I guess I wont mind much is it isnt changed.

I like the idea of it being a little more action oriented rather than an intesnse suspenseful scene which has already been done in the first movie with the same nurses.

But I am curious about Vincent's character and role in this movie. He seems like he has something to do with Heather's Father being missing but I am confused as to he would know that when he is Suposedly a friend/boyfirend to Heather.

(Sorry if this has all already been discussed... I couldnt be bothered to read every post in this thread xP)

All in all, I am looking forward to seeing this movie... Now to find a friend that likes this franchise and is willing to give up their Halloween night to watch this with me XDD
~ When the rich wage war, It's the poor who die ~
sh#1fan

Post by sh#1fan »

jdnation wrote: God forbid they use something familiar to market a film sequel... You might as well complain that all the games gave up, and lacked imagination for always using a flashlight and radio all the time. Silent Hill 4 tried to change formula, and most people complained.
ROFL
AAAMMMEEEENNNN Testify (/claps hands) Throw your hands in the air (/waves hands in the air)

Theres nothing wrong with the nurses OR PH
Silent hill games DO NOT = Silent hill movies. jeeeezzzzzz people at least see the movie before you start bitching about stuff... If you don't see it.. then STOP complaining. Plus don't complain its not the game... complain on what acing parts you did not like or whatever... :roll:
oO?
teosoleil
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by teosoleil »

Is the reuse of the Nurse design really uncreative? I mean, they have NEW VOICES after all.

Perhaps the oversexualized-orgasm moans are more fitting to a teenaged Sharon, on the tip of puberty and finally having the body her original self always wanted?

Maybe the nurses appear after Heather if about to have sex with Vincent at Jack's Inn, only to be interrupted by the Otherworld transition seen in the trailer. That's what the trailer made it look like. In which case, the orgasm moans might just make sense. (?)

Yeah, I know I'm reading into a trailer and clip too much.
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

^ That actually makes a lot of sense. I didn't think about the monsters evolving to match the changes Alessa has gone through. Though I wouldn't say a 17 year old is on the "tip of puberty". Lol
Monster
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Monster »

It would have at least been cool if they used the Fukuro nurses from Sh3 as inspiration. Some change at least. New voices? color me unimpressed.