Official poster from Comic-Con... maybe Leonard's face?

Discuss the latest about the second Silent Hill Movie

Moderator: Moderators

CrypticIdentity
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Re: Official poster from Comic-Con... maybe Leonard's face?

Post by CrypticIdentity »

OH DUDE. O_O Well, I was wondering what they were going to do for the poster. That makes an impression. A sufficiently disturbing one, in my opinion. It's like they took the concept of the first movie's poster--distorting the face--and just ramped it up in terms of the uncanny valley. "Return to Silent Hill" is kind of weak as a tagline, but whatever. Visually, I think it's something people will remember. I know I will.
arthurdepr
Just Passing Through

Post by arthurdepr »

Wow, I like it very much! Pretty disturbing and nasty in my opinion. Like CrypticIdentity said, it will probably cause an impression, and it's better than the first film's poster for me.
~ Evil shall with evil be expelled. ~
Fevered Dream
Gravedigger

Post by Fevered Dream »

Was actually not expecting that when I opened the link, and my first reaction was "ewww." Not "ewww" as in it's an awful poster, but "ewww" as in, what the shit am I looking at. I have to agree about the tagline being kind of boring, but at least the photo itself is eye-catching.
Bitch, don't kill my vibe.
TerryRed
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by TerryRed »

Now this is more like it! This is the kind of reaction I want when thinking Silent Hill... the good old "What the hell am I looking at?"

You are disturbed and repulsed, yet you can't look away...

Return to Silent Hill is much better than the dreaded "We've been expecting you" that we saw on some of the first movie's posters.
The current progress of my Silent Hill pinball (video) game can be seen here:

https://youtu.be/aMklvWiUqhY
Aerith Gainsborough
Historical Society Historian

Post by Aerith Gainsborough »

I speculated that it could be Leonard's face, as well. The skin looks aged and the hair is white, a lot like Malcolm McDowell's. Also, it's been stated that Leonard will be blind (and without eyes, of course you're blind!).
I'm rarely on the forums anymore. Click here for ways to reach me.
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

I'm really not a fan of the poster, to be honest. I just don't like the face on it, and I don't think it suits what we know of the film so far; I really loved the old poster with Rose walking into the fog, and this one seems a tad generic to me. Hopefully it's just a promotional poster.
silentmumbler
Just Passing Through

Post by silentmumbler »

I like it. I think you're right on about it being Leonard's face. About the tagline...I think it's fine. It may be boring, but that just makes you focus more on the visual effect the face gives. Besides, boring is much better than cheesy.
Huknar
Just Passing Through

Post by Huknar »

Hopefully it's just a promotional poster.
I believe I read somewhere that it was a Comic-Con only poster, so we still have the "propper" one that will hopefully be slapped on those bus shelters. The last movie had its poster on one less than three minutes from where I used to live.

I have mixed feelings on this poster however, I think it might be too "normal" for me, as in the face has no features (Which we have seen a little before on one of the old posters, the mouthless Sharon, something I was also not keen on.) and is just stitched in a strange way, something that could be used for a gory horror film no doubt. But I am always over-critical of art.

I agree that it is Leonard's face too, it is the only thing that makes sense.
0uiled
Just Passing Through

Post by 0uiled »

I wonder is Leonard would look like this or be a monster.
If he looks like this would it be like Lisa in the first movie.
Silent Hill is like a living thing and the fans are it's blood.
Silent Hill will lose blood time to time but it won't die that easily.
It can still make new blood.
teosoleil
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by teosoleil »

I do not like this poster at all. It just seems so...disturbing on purpose, while posters for the first movie were more disturbing in a "natural" sense. It just reminds me too much of graphic movies, much like Saw or The Human Centipede.

I hope the alternative posters are just as disturbing, yet subtle.
TerryRed
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by TerryRed »

I do remember the first movie having the "monster" posters as well...

This reminds me of the japanese style monster designs from SH2 and SH3.

I also don't think you will see these kind of posters posted everywhere...
The current progress of my Silent Hill pinball (video) game can be seen here:

https://youtu.be/aMklvWiUqhY
sh#1fan

Post by sh#1fan »

Pathetic...

They already have somthing like that...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11yBPx-ymZA
In fact when I first cliked on the link I thought someone mistook "Smiley" for Silent Hill... but then I read return to silent hill...
oO?
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

Huknar wrote:
Hopefully it's just a promotional poster.
I believe I read somewhere that it was a Comic-Con only poster, so we still have the "propper" one that will hopefully be slapped on those bus shelters. The last movie had its poster on one less than three minutes from where I used to live.
Good to know.
The Demon
Just Passing Through

Post by The Demon »

I really hope this isn't what Leonard looks like as a monster. I was hoping they'd go with a little more than another faceless creature.

As a poster though it's not too bad. I thought the one with Rose walking into the fog was a little more striking and memorable than this though.
CrypticIdentity
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by CrypticIdentity »

If I remember correctly, the one with Rose walking into the fog wasn't an official poster--I think it won an official poster contest or something, but it was never used for promotional material beyond that. Still, I agree--it's probably my favorite of any poster I've seen for the Silent Hill movies. It's a lot more subtle, and it draws you in. On the other hand, I could see a lot of people thinking it's a boring poster and moving right on by it. Such is life.

Since this was Comic-Con exclusive, though, I wonder what the poster that'll be up in theaters and such will look like. It'd be cool if they went for something more subtle, like the one you mentioned. If they had filmed the subway section, that'd be perfect, but I'm pretty sure Bassett said on his blog somewhere that they couldn't do the subway (which is disappointing, but I could see people thinking SH ripped off the movie They if he did use the subway environment). Maybe they'll use an image of the amusement park.
Aerith Gainsborough

Post by Aerith Gainsborough »

I think it's merely promotional, as well. I don't think they'd make that the official poster for the film since it just really gives no indication about the town, the characters (Well, maybe Leonard), or the storyline.
I'm rarely on the forums anymore. Click here for ways to reach me.
Droo

Post by Droo »

CrypticIdentity wrote:If I remember correctly, the one with Rose walking into the fog wasn't an official poster--I think it won an official poster contest or something, but it was never used for promotional material beyond that.
It was the poster theatres in my city used for Silent Hill. I managed to acquire one from the one nearest to my house when the movie stopped being played.

"Oh yeah, I've been here before
I can see it with eyes closed
Shadows that look like blood
Dead as far as the mind goes
Fear that comes from my head
Lives in the mirror"
wonder's boy
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by wonder's boy »

Cool Silent Hill wall.

Promo or not, I like the poster. It does remind me of a much more tasteful Smiley, but I too think they may have other posters released as the promotion continues. It'd attract attention, still, yet I think they could come up with something better.
Music created by the fans, for the fans. . . . . . . . . . . . . . Vol. 1 | Vol. 2 | Vol. 3
teosoleil
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by teosoleil »

Confirmed: It's not Leonard's face.

https://twitter.com/michaeljbassett/sta ... 2990215170