Speculation: Why is Dark Alessa here? Her role?

Discuss the latest about the second Silent Hill Movie

Moderator: Moderators

chounokoe
Just Passing Through

Re: Speculation: Why is Dark Alessa here? Her role?

Post by chounokoe »

Scanman wrote:They added facts after the fact of the original story in order to justify why he is still after Laurie in order to continue the story. It isn't a contradiction, but to me this is a retcon because this isn't what was originally thought up when the first story was written.
Basically both definitions of retcon are more or less correct, because the term itself isn't as closely defined as far as I'm up to date. Ret(roactive) con(tinuity) was first used to describe the process of "creating history" and that the future does not directly result from the past, but that the past is constantly being altered as we look at it from a historical perspective. History therefore is constantly retconned by us looking further into it.

Under that light retroactive additions as well as changes in any way are all basically retcons. They have to looked at differently, I think, depending on how far these additions or alterations compromise the plot.
Scanmans example of Laurie as Micheals sister was well placed in the story as a whole, it didn't contradict any former information and could be placed in continuity without anybody being able to inherently prove that it wasn't intended from the start.

Retcons only become problematic when they can't be properly explained and cause more problems than benefits to the story. Like Cybils possession in SH1, which is an event that was never largely addressed outside SH1 because it was simply too difficult to explain who, how and why she had been taken over by a parasitic demon within the continuity that was established by the series moving forward. The Silent Hill Play Novel seemed to try and explain more of the events with what would later be introduced in SH2, but there was still a lot of retconning going on.

Basset can claim against retcons as much as he wants, basically he is doing that. I know what he's trying to say though, he will try his best not to include any alterations that would go against established plot-points of the first movie. The question is how far the changes will go and how deep his new plotpoints affect the story of the first movie. Changing the implications of the ending is a rather small retcon, but for example changing Dahlias entire intention and character around would be (if it comes to that) a larger retcon that would need to be established in the continuity of the movies. For example just telling us that Dahlia was evil all along wouldn't suffice as it would clash with many scenes in the original film.
Scanman
Just Passing Through

Post by Scanman »

My Theory on Dark Alessa:
It is Sharon in her body. Alessa combined herself with Sharon becoming Alessa/Sharon so she could start anew in the younger body. It is Dark Alessa that remained seperate. The vengeful evil side of Alessa. There is no need for that part of her that she created, so it is left in the Otherworld/Foggy Silent Hill. That side of her didn't exist until Alessa was burned and lying in the hospital bed so after her revenge she no longer wanted that side of her because deep down Alessa is good, so she rejoined with Sharon (her good side) and left behind her dark side. But the dark side of Alessa that the town manifested, didn't just disappear. The energy stayed in that form sort of becoming "the demon" that is loose in Silent Hill that Dahlia tells Heather about. I think Claudia and the Order worship this as their "god". Maybe they think that when it recombines with Heather/Alessa/Sharon it will become "god". Since I doubt that the whole "god fetus" will be part of the film. That is my guess.
- Member of The Order -
~ The Sect of Valtiel ~
chounokoe
Just Passing Through

Post by chounokoe »

I actually got myself to watch the first movie again, mostly because I want to do a proper review of it before I see the new one, and it's actually not as confused as I thought before.

With some faith in the supernatural elements of the movie franchise Sharons return to Chris can be easily seen at the end of the movie. Rose and "Sharon" return home, while she sits down opposite of the place where Chris is sleeping in the real world "Sharon" leaves her with an ominous look on her face and wanders off into a corridor. Now going by the beginning of the movie where Chris is standing on a balcony, we can assume that Sharons room is on the 2nd floor, so maybe this is where she went.
When Chris wakes up he immediately heads for the door, finds it ajar and the camera pans out. We never learn what happened to "Sharon", so the sequel could very much explain it by portraying him going back into her room and finding Sharon asleep in her bed.

It is actually not that unlikely that Rose actually died from the stab-wound inflicted by Christabella and her return home together with "Sharon" was just a gift by "the thing that calls itself Alessas dark side", who returned her home just like she was brought to Toluca orphanage 9 years prior.

The motives of "Dark Alessa" are sketchy at best in the first movie. There is actually no proper explanation why she is doing anything, or if there are the explanations are often found contradicting each other.

And having rewatched the film I'm kinda at peace with the 2 year problem in the trailer...time never was the strong suit of the movie. Fire broke out 30 years ago, Sharon was placed in an orphanage 9 years ago...why exactly wait 21 years? How did Alessa even survive 21 years? :wink:
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

chounokoe wrote:With some faith in the supernatural elements of the movie franchise Sharons return to Chris can be easily seen at the end of the movie. Rose and "Sharon" return home, while she sits down opposite of the place where Chris is sleeping in the real world "Sharon" leaves her with an ominous look on her face and wanders off into a corridor. Now going by the beginning of the movie where Chris is standing on a balcony, we can assume that Sharons room is on the 2nd floor, so maybe this is where she went.
When Chris wakes up he immediately heads for the door, finds it ajar and the camera pans out. We never learn what happened to "Sharon", so the sequel could very much explain it by portraying him going back into her room and finding Sharon asleep in her bed.
You're missing the fact that Sharon/Alessa obviously wants to be with Rose, and Rose is in the alternate reality.
chounokoe wrote:It is actually not that unlikely that Rose actually died from the stab-wound inflicted by Christabella and her return home together with "Sharon" was just a gift by "the thing that calls itself Alessas dark side", who returned her home just like she was brought to Toluca orphanage 9 years prior.
As SilentFantasy said in another thread, there's really nothing but sheer imagination that points to Rose dying. Had Rose died, she would have disappeared once the Otherworld lifted just like every single other person who died in the alternate reality. Rose had a supernatural entity inside of her when she was stabbed and wasn't bleeding her own blood. There's no reason to believe she died. Also, Dark Alessa is Alessa's dark side, not a separate entity.
chounokoe wrote:The motives of "Dark Alessa" are sketchy at best in the first movie. There is actually no proper explanation why she is doing anything, or if there are the explanations are often found contradicting each other.
Her motives aren't sketchy at all. She's Alessa's dark side, the part of Alessa that is totally pissed off and wants to torture and kill everyone responsible for her suffering. At the end of the film, she reunites into one body with Sharon because that's Alessa's wish, and Alessa controls both of her doubles.
chounokoe wrote:And having rewatched the film I'm kinda at peace with the 2 year problem in the trailer...time never was the strong suit of the movie. Fire broke out 30 years ago, Sharon was placed in an orphanage 9 years ago...why exactly wait 21 years? How did Alessa even survive 21 years? :wink:
Alessa had tremendous supernatural powers and could create alternate realities and doubles of herself, it's not difficult to imagine she also used her powers to keep her body working. No one knows why Alessa waited 21 years to create Sharon, but that doesn't give Bassett room to run around retconning the timeline willy nilly.
chounokoe
Just Passing Through

Post by chounokoe »

JKristine35 wrote: You're missing the fact that Sharon/Alessa obviously wants to be with Rose, and Rose is in the alternate reality.
If she so obviously wants to be with her, why does she prefer to be in the backseat when returning to Chris' house? Also, why does she walk away from Rose during the final scene of the movie?
These are important visual cues that should not be neglected.
At the end of the film, she reunites into one body with Sharon because that's Alessa's wish, and Alessa controls both of her doubles.
Where in the film does it say this? As far as the movie goes it said that Sharon was merely an instrument for Alessas revenge and death, which is now everything she desires.
Also, while Dark Alessa was very likely formed through Alessas suffering there are several hints that there is more to her. She herself says that she "has many names", but right now it would be most appropriate to call her "Alessas dark side". Gans himself also seemed to mix in the idea of doppelgangers, which he seemed to have gotten from an SH3 guide (I wish he were more precise), this at least implies (together with several visual clues from the movie) that Dark Alessa has become an entity of her own, just like Sharon had done through her 9 years with Rose and Chris.
That is the whole point of SH3s plot (and maybe also the movies) that while Heather is the heritage of both Alessa and Cheryl and the daughter of Dahlia and Harry, she is also her own person and is not controlled by destiny. Saying that Dark Alessa equals Alessa to 100% is like saying that the Memory of Alessa in SH3 was Alessa.
Yuki
Historical Society Historian

Post by Yuki »

chounokoe wrote:
JKristine35 wrote: You're missing the fact that Sharon/Alessa obviously wants to be with Rose, and Rose is in the alternate reality.
If she so obviously wants to be with her, why does she prefer to be in the backseat when returning to Chris' house? Also, why does she walk away from Rose during the final scene of the movie?
Walking away from her in their own home doesn't mean that she doesn't want to be with Rose. One can be possessive and still be physically apart from the object of their affections.
At the end of the film, she reunites into one body with Sharon because that's Alessa's wish, and Alessa controls both of her doubles.
Where in the film does it say this? As far as the movie goes it said that Sharon was merely an instrument for Alessas revenge and death, which is now everything she desires.
Also, while Dark Alessa was very likely formed through Alessas suffering there are several hints that there is more to her. She herself says that she "has many names", but right now it would be most appropriate to call her "Alessas dark side". Gans himself also seemed to mix in the idea of doppelgangers, which he seemed to have gotten from an SH3 guide (I wish he were more precise), this at least implies (together with several visual clues from the movie) that Dark Alessa has become an entity of her own, just like Sharon had done through her 9 years with Rose and Chris.
That is the whole point of SH3s plot (and maybe also the movies) that while Heather is the heritage of both Alessa and Cheryl and the daughter of Dahlia and Harry, she is also her own person and is not controlled by destiny. Saying that Dark Alessa equals Alessa to 100% is like saying that the Memory of Alessa in SH3 was Alessa.

I think it's quite clear that Dark Alessa does what burnt!Alessa wants; that's why burnt!Alessa shows up at the end of the movie.
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

The point is that Sharon/Alessa is in the same car and the same house as Rose, which is a clear indicator that she wants to be with her.

Like Yuki said, it's pretty clear that Dark Alessa does what burned Alessa wants, or else it would have been Dark Alessa slaughtering the cultists in the church.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Do note she was sleeping in the back of the car. Sleeping usually requires lying down. And, like you yourself admit, we don't know what Alessa is up to. Maybe she's going up to her room to get a favorite book and have Mommy read it to her.
Sharon was created in order to find a new mother. Someone who is willing to go through hell for her, and will never betray her like Dahlia did. This is made as clear as it could possibly be made in Dark Alessa's exposition. She even embraces Rose in a hug, then rewards her after her vengeance is complete. When Alessa merges together, she has nothing left she could possibly want except being with her new, perfect mother.

Also, Alessa didn't want to die. You're mixing her motivations up with her videogame counterpart, which coincidingly never wanted revenge.
She is Alessa's dark side. Her comment about having many names is in regard to the fact that she is embracing the role the cult gives her as a sick enjoyment of her revenge. They call her the demon, the Dark One, the reaper, their doom, and she loves it. She will play that role for them gladly.

But when she gives Rose "The Truth", she reveals herself as the Dark Part of Alessa. That is her true nature, and she came to be when Alessa's hatred began to change the world.
You can't compare two separate universes like that. Dark Alessa is more comparable to Cheryl than Heather, and Cheryl was subsumed into Alessa fairly easily.

You'll also note that while Heather IS her own person, she is also still Alessa. She's a different person in the sense that she is like the same person who has grown up, recovered from tragedy, and put it behind her. But everything Alessa and Cheryl were are still huge parts of her personality.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
chounokoe
Just Passing Through

Post by chounokoe »

Yuki wrote:I think it's quite clear that Dark Alessa does what burnt!Alessa wants; that's why burnt!Alessa shows up at the end of the movie.
Actually, no, it is not quite clear, at least by what the movie gives us. Dark Alessas agenda is never made clear, only Alessas is.
I am not arguing against Dark Alessa having been largely created from Alessas hatred and desperation (which is the same with the Memory of Alessa in SH3), but her goal seems to lie seperate from Alessas, as she is clearly only a bystander and (according to what she herself said) a source of power in the battle within the church. It is her who approaches Sharon, while Alessa is busy doing something else.
AuraTwilight wrote:Do note she was sleeping in the back of the car. Sleeping usually requires lying down. And, like you yourself admit, we don't know what Alessa is up to. Maybe she's going up to her room to get a favorite book and have Mommy read it to her.
Maybe Alessa needed to take a really huge dump after lying in a bed for 30 years :roll:
If that was the case, why did the movie do its utmost to portray a different dynamic? I also filled in exactly that logic within the final scene after I last saw the movie 4 years ago, which is why I had problems imagining how they could connect it to the sequel, but looking at the final scenes again now it does in no way show us that "Sharon" is exceptionally happy about being with Rose.
  • She looks rather calm and is actually the one leading Rose towards the car, if we go by reason it would be because her body does not provide her with the potential to leave Silent Hill that easily.
  • She only smiles very calm and collected.
  • She storms towards the car and immediately heads towards the backseat, though she just witnessed something traumatic and Sharon always asked to ride in front.
  • At home she accompanies Rose to the sofa where Chris sleeps in the real world and then leaves her there.
AuraTwilight wrote:Sharon was created in order to find a new mother. Someone who is willing to go through hell for her, and will never betray her like Dahlia did. This is made as clear as it could possibly be made in Dark Alessa's exposition.
Also a big No.
Dark Alessa introduces the woman in the bed (who is apparently fully conscious but unable to speak) with "She needs you help! [...] She is Alessa!". "Now the dream of this life must end and so must the dreamers within", because she mentions the dreamers within, the life that has to end is clearly Alessas, who has created the world that traps the cultists. On the question what it is that they want Dark Alessa clearly says, "All we ask for is satisfaction. Revenge." and the only reason that Rose was necessary is not because they want any new mother but, as Dark Alessa says, because, "I can not enter [their church] while they deny their fate, but you can."

Also don't forget, movie Alessa is 39 years old (maybe 41 if the second movie retcons the events so far that Sharon was in the orpanage for 2 years in order to up her age to 11). She is 7 years older than Harry was in the game, only 7 years younger than Dahlia was in the game. This is not the 14 year old girl who is still attached to the dream of a perfect family, this is a woman(!) who has wallowed 30 years in her own hatred.
But when she gives Rose "The Truth", she reveals herself as the Dark Part of Alessa. That is her true nature, and she came to be when Alessa's hatred began to change the world.
Her actual quote is, "I have many names. Right now I am the dark part of Alessa", which clearly indicates that there is or could be a time where she is not that.
You'll also note that while Heather IS her own person, she is also still Alessa. She's a different person in the sense that she is like the same person who has grown up, recovered from tragedy, and put it behind her. But everything Alessa and Cheryl were are still huge parts of her personality.
While I totally agree for one part of the story, there is also the other plot of "heritage" and "repeating the past" in SH3. While Claudia unknowingly repeats the mistakes of the past in her blind quest for the greater good and thus commits the crime of her father and Dahlia all over again, Heather accepts the errors of the past as a part of life, but also considers herself as somebody different. This is why, even after defeating the Memory of Alessa, she still refers to that girl from her past as "Alessa", even though she remebers.
But this is really not part of the movie canon, so I think we can drop this one.
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

chounokoe wrote: Actually, no, it is not quite clear, at least by what the movie gives us. Dark Alessas agenda is never made clear, only Alessas is.
I am not arguing against Dark Alessa having been largely created from Alessas hatred and desperation (which is the same with the Memory of Alessa in SH3), but her goal seems to lie seperate from Alessas, as she is clearly only a bystander and (according to what she herself said) a source of power in the battle within the church. It is her who approaches Sharon, while Alessa is busy doing something else.
You're not understanding what Yuki and I are saying. The fact that Dark Alessa is a bystander in the climax scene - despite that she is rage incarnate - is a clear indicator that she is acting on the will of Alessa. If she wasn't, she would have gone into the church by herself and slaughtered the piss out of the cultists without Alessa needing to be there at all. Just because the super powerful psionic isn't looking, does not mean that Alessa isn't fully aware of Dark Alessa and what she's doing. Note that it would be sort of difficult for Alessa to float her giant ass bed into the corner of the church where Rose and Sharon are hiding and get down far enough to lock eyes with Sharon. It's only logical that she would use Dark Alessa to do that.
chounokoe wrote:Maybe Alessa needed to take a really huge dump after lying in a bed for 30 years :roll:
If that was the case, why did the movie do its utmost to portray a different dynamic? I also filled in exactly that logic within the final scene after I last saw the movie 4 years ago, which is why I had problems imagining how they could connect it to the sequel, but looking at the final scenes again now it does in no way show us that "Sharon" is exceptionally happy about being with Rose.
  • She looks rather calm and is actually the one leading Rose towards the car, if we go by reason it would be because her body does not provide her with the potential to leave Silent Hill that easily.
  • She only smiles very calm and collected.
  • She storms towards the car and immediately heads towards the backseat, though she just witnessed something traumatic and Sharon always asked to ride in front.
  • At home she accompanies Rose to the sofa where Chris sleeps in the real world and then leaves her there.
The only thing you just proved is that Sharon is no longer the only person in Sharon/Alessa's body, which no one disputes. She holds Rose's hand at every point possible and smiles lovingly up at her when Rose strokes her hair - it's exceedingly obvious that she's quite happy to be with Rose. The fact that she sleeps in the backseat only proves she's tired. :/
chounokoe wrote:Also a big No.
Dark Alessa introduces the woman in the bed (who is apparently fully conscious but unable to speak) with "She needs you help! [...] She is Alessa!". "Now the dream of this life must end and so must the dreamers within", because she mentions the dreamers within, the life that has to end is clearly Alessas, who has created the world that traps the cultists. On the question what it is that they want Dark Alessa clearly says, "All we ask for is satisfaction. Revenge." and the only reason that Rose was necessary is not because they want any new mother but, as Dark Alessa says, because, "I can not enter [their church] while they deny their fate, but you can."

Also don't forget, movie Alessa is 39 years old (maybe 41 if the second movie retcons the events so far that Sharon was in the orpanage for 2 years in order to up her age to 11). She is 7 years older than Harry was in the game, only 7 years younger than Dahlia was in the game. This is not the 14 year old girl who is still attached to the dream of a perfect family, this is a woman(!) who has wallowed 30 years in her own hatred.
Just because something is not spelled out for you, does not make it untrue. There's no reason for Dark Alessa to tell Rose she wants her to be Mommy Dearest, especially when it's of the utmost concern that Rose agree to what Alessa and Dark Alessa want. Telling her "Oh yeah, we're gonna recombine the souls and trap you forever in an alternate reality with a kid that sort of is yours and sort of isn't cause, you know, we have mommy issues" probably wouldn't have gone over too well. It's shown repeatedly throughout the film that Alessa is testing Rose (making her jump over a giant hole, descend into the darkness willingly, reach into a corpse's mouth, etc), and it make perfect sense that she's doing it because she wants to know if Rose will be a suitable mother once she reunites into one body. And why would it be assumed that Dark Alessa is saying Alessa needs to die? Clearly, Dark Alessa is talking about killing the cultists, which is why she says "dreamers" and not "dreamer". Also, Alessa has lain in isolation for 30 years with no one to speak to. She would be the textbook definition of someone who is emotionally stunted, so comparing her to a normal adult simply won't work.
chounokoe wrote: Her actual quote is, "I have many names. Right now I am the dark part of Alessa", which clearly indicates that there is or could be a time where she is not that.
And what else would she be? This is not a free entity. She was created by Alessa from Alessa's rage and has spent 30 years tending to Alessa, how is it not clear that she is an extension of Alessa's will and nothing more? Aura explained what she meant when she made the "many names" comment.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Actually, no, it is not quite clear, at least by what the movie gives us. Dark Alessas agenda is never made clear, only Alessas is.
Dark Alessa takes no actions that don't directly serve what ALESSA wants. Their agenda is the same.
Maybe Alessa needed to take a really huge dump after lying in a bed for 30 years :roll:

She looks rather calm and is actually the one leading Rose towards the car, if we go by reason it would be because her body does not provide her with the potential to leave Silent Hill that easily.
She only smiles very calm and collected.
She storms towards the car and immediately heads towards the backseat, though she just witnessed something traumatic and Sharon always asked to ride in front.
At home she accompanies Rose to the sofa where Chris sleeps in the real world and then leaves her there.
Yea, Sharon is tired, and her personality is different now. You haven't proved anything. Though your supposition that Alessa/Sharon 'can't leave' without Rose is stupid; she MADE the place. She sets the laws.
Also a big No.
Dreamers. Plural. In reference to the cultists. Who she kills.

You are completely misunderstanding everything Dark Alessa's words. And if Alessa doesn't want a new mother, then why does Dark Alessa test Rose's determination constantly?

And for what it's worth, the original script of the movie pretty much outright says that it's not so much that Alessa CAN'T enter the church, but won't; that she's enjoying the cat-and-mouse game until she can secure a new mother and life.
She's also been trapped in a bed for all those years with no contact with the outside world, and has been going in and out of a coma constantly that whole time. Even if, hypothetically, she had emotionally matured into an adult woman? It'd be entirely reasonable and expected that she would want to 'start over', regress to her childhood, and do things over with a better mother, and a world under her control. A world with no mistakes or unhappiness.
Her actual quote is, "I have many names. Right now I am the dark part of Alessa", which clearly indicates that there is or could be a time where she is not that.
I know that, but she explains this during a scene where she is giving Rose 'The Truth'. Right now, during this Truth exposition? She is the Dark Part of Alessa. It is the true nature of her being. It is only in the other scenes of the movie where she plays the part of a demon and a monster; and why would the cult be right in their accusations anyway? They accused Alessa, Dahlia, Sharon, Cybil, and Rose of all being witches. The fact that they called Dark Alessa a demon should, by logic, make her absolutely NOT a demon.

Also, according to the creators of the movie, Dark Alessa and Sharon are "the devil and god inside Alessa. Just like everyone else has a devil and god within them. It's the same concept of a dividing soul as in the games."
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
chounokoe
Just Passing Through

Post by chounokoe »

JKristine35 wrote:You're not understanding what Yuki and I are saying. The fact that Dark Alessa is a bystander in the climax scene - despite that she is rage incarnate - is a clear indicator that she is acting on the will of Alessa.
I am understanding this perfectly well and I believe this was actually the intention behind the original script, but not what was finally put on screen. The question now remains, why was this changed to such an ambiguous display?
And no, she couldn't have "gone into the church by herself and slaughtered the piss out of the cultists without Alessa needing to be there at all" because, "[she] cannot enter [their church] while they deny their fate".

The original script and the final script differ in one huge point regarding this argument, that is the origin of Alessas powers. In the original 2004 script it is fairly apparent that seemed to possess certain powers which made the children afraid of her and made her able to survive the burning. In the 2006 movie her powers are portrayed as being gained by the traumatic experience and having called forth this Dark Alessa.
The problem is, we cannot take both versions of the story into account while talking about one final product, it is either one or the other; one plot was sacrificed for the other.

I am not saying that Dark Alessa is an actual demon in the 2006 film or should be understood as such, but she is portrayed more as an autonomous force, separate from Alessa herself. The 2006 movie also clearly hints at the legend of the Darkness being present before the burning of Alessa, clearly woven into the Jennifer Carol myth told by Anna.
Just because something is not spelled out for you, does not make it untrue. There's no reason for Dark Alessa to tell Rose she wants her to be Mommy Dearest, especially when it's of the utmost concern that Rose agree to what Alessa and Dark Alessa want.
If you go by the belief that she would lie on this part, why speak the truth apart from that? I do fully belief that there was an intent to use Sharons body from the very beginning, but I doubt it was in search of a mother. If anything it was in search of release, both versions, the 2004 script and the 2006 movie, never much attempt to portray any aspiration of Alessas to make Rose into her new mother.
True the 2006 version has stronger points that hint towards Alessa Gillespie joining with Sharon in the end, the 2004 script actually leaves enough room to argue that Christabellas faith was right and there was a demon Samael hiding behind the facade of different girls throughout history and has simply chosen Sharon next.
AuraTwilight wrote:You are completely misunderstanding everything Dark Alessa's words. And if Alessa doesn't want a new mother, then why does Dark Alessa test Rose's determination constantly?
I am not misunderstanding things, I know the things that according to Christopher Gans are supposed to be in these scenes, but many of them are either too vague or Gans and Avary had pretty different opinions on what they wanted to portray.
There is no test of motherhood for Rose beyond using Sharon to bring her so far that she would invite Alessa into the church, which she could never achieve with anybody of the cult. This is also present in the 2004 script where there isn't even a connection between Sharon and Alessa despite looking alike, which is never explained. There it even seems like an afterthought by "Alessa" to join with Sharon.
AuraTwilight wrote:Though your supposition that Alessa/Sharon 'can't leave' without Rose is stupid; she MADE the place. She sets the laws.
She set the laws of the Otherworld of Silent Hill, yes, but she has only limited if any powers beyond the reach of Silent Hill. The moment she takes over Sharons body she also receives the limitations of such a body, which would make it hard for her to simply 'go anywhere' without the help of anybody. Even in the movie SH seems to be quite removed from civilization.
Dreamers. Plural. In reference to the cultists. Who she kills.
But it is not the dream of those lifes (plural) but the dream of this life, which is set in contrast to the dream of life that was Sharon. If you follow the logic that the original script already had the answers that were also in the final film you would also have to go by the logic that the "dreamers" are already dead and simply trapping themselves, and by extension Alessa, in this nightmare.
"The Dream of this life must end, but the Dreamers within it won't accept that they've long since died. For 30 years they've lied to their own souls. For 30 years they've denied their own release. Until they accept the responsibility of their crime, they keep us both trapped in a limbo of pain. We just want it to end."
And for what it's worth, the original script of the movie pretty much outright says that it's not so much that Alessa CAN'T enter the church, but won't; that she's enjoying the cat-and-mouse game until she can secure a new mother and life.
No it doesn't. If you've got a quote that I missed, show me.
Also, according to the creators of the movie, Dark Alessa and Sharon are "the devil and god inside Alessa. Just like everyone else has a devil and god within them. It's the same concept of a dividing soul as in the games."
It's actually not comparable at all to what happened in the game and I always found several of Gans' ideas very peculiar. Alessa in the game was never divided into good and evil, she simply spliced off most of her soul and left a little out of reasons not really told. What resulted was simply a magically newborn soul-baby and a 7 year old burn-victim held alive with MAGICK in a hospital basement.
Gans' understanding of this actually fits better with the initial plot ideas to SH2, where Maria was apparently meant to be a lot more directly portrayed as the counter-personality Mary.
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

chounokoe wrote:I am understanding this perfectly well and I believe this was actually the intention behind the original script, but not what was finally put on screen. The question now remains, why was this changed to such an ambiguous display?
And no, she couldn't have "gone into the church by herself and slaughtered the piss out of the cultists without Alessa needing to be there at all" because, "[she] cannot enter [their church] while they deny their fate".
You aren't making any sense at all. Once Rose made the deal and bled all over the floor, there would be no reason whatsoever for Dark Alessa to invite Alessa into the church unless she was acting on Alessa's will. She could simply have crawled right into the church immediately and started slaughtering cultists left and right, rather than waiting and letting the show belong to Alessa. There is absolutely nothing ambiguous about what Dark Alessa wants.
chounokoe wrote:The original script and the final script differ in one huge point regarding this argument, that is the origin of Alessas powers. In the original 2004 script it is fairly apparent that seemed to possess certain powers which made the children afraid of her and made her able to survive the burning. In the 2006 movie her powers are portrayed as being gained by the traumatic experience and having called forth this Dark Alessa.
Not necessarily. There's no suggestion that the town itself has any powers, and normal people can't create alternate realities and doppelgangers, so logic says she had the powers before the burning. That much is implied when Dark Alessa starts acting like any person in enough pain can inflict their pain back onto the world in the form of wilting flowers supernaturally and burning nurses, which is obviously not correct and is a huge hint to the audience thhat Alessa's powers are never shown because Alessa herself still does not understand that she actually has unnatural abilities.
chounokoe wrote:I am not saying that Dark Alessa is an actual demon in the 2006 film or should be understood as such, but she is portrayed more as an autonomous force, separate from Alessa herself. The 2006 movie also clearly hints at the legend of the Darkness being present before the burning of Alessa, clearly woven into the Jennifer Carol myth told by Anna.
You're confusing symbolism for the literal storyline. Every single thing Dark Alessa does serves Alessa, from taking Sharon out of the town, to calling her back again, to testing Rose's love for her child, to making it possible for Alessa to kill the cultists. All the 2006 movie shows is that the crazy cultists have been crazy for several generations.
chounokoe wrote:If you go by the belief that she would lie on this part, why speak the truth apart from that? I do fully belief that there was an intent to use Sharons body from the very beginning, but I doubt it was in search of a mother. If anything it was in search of release, both versions, the 2004 script and the 2006 movie, never much attempt to portray any aspiration of Alessas to make Rose into her new mother.
True the 2006 version has stronger points that hint towards Alessa Gillespie joining with Sharon in the end, the 2004 script actually leaves enough room to argue that Christabellas faith was right and there was a demon Samael hiding behind the facade of different girls throughout history and has simply chosen Sharon next.
She didn't lie, she just failed to mention something that would have driven Rose screaming from the room, leaving her to have to start all over again. The entire ending sequence proves without a doubt that Alessa wants a new mother, and there's also all the testing she makes Rose go through that would make no sense unless she's sizing her up as a mother.
chounokoe wrote:I am not misunderstanding things, I know the things that according to Christopher Gans are supposed to be in these scenes, but many of them are either too vague or Gans and Avary had pretty different opinions on what they wanted to portray.
Proof that Avary disagreed with Gans? Is there some interview where he states this?
chounokoe wrote:There is no test of motherhood for Rose beyond using Sharon to bring her so far that she would invite Alessa into the church, which she could never achieve with anybody of the cult. This is also present in the 2004 script where there isn't even a connection between Sharon and Alessa despite looking alike, which is never explained. There it even seems like an afterthought by "Alessa" to join with Sharon.
So explain why Dark Alessa makes Rose jump over a giant hole, follow vague clues, stick her hand in a corpse's mouth, willingly descend into the darkness, face up to monsters.
chounokoe wrote:She set the laws of the Otherworld of Silent Hill, yes, but she has only limited if any powers beyond the reach of Silent Hill. The moment she takes over Sharons body she also receives the limitations of such a body, which would make it hard for her to simply 'go anywhere' without the help of anybody. Even in the movie SH seems to be quite removed from civilization.
There is not one iota of proof suggesting this, nor does it make any logical sense. If Alessa was powerful enough to create an alternate reality, it stands to reason that she can extend it at will. There's also nothing at all supernatural about Alessa's adult body, so why would Sharon's non-supernatural body limit her?
chounokoe wrote:But it is not the dream of those lifes (plural) but the dream of this life, which is set in contrast to the dream of life that was Sharon. If you follow the logic that the original script already had the answers that were also in the final film you would also have to go by the logic that the "dreamers" are already dead and simply trapping themselves, and by extension Alessa, in this nightmare.
"The Dream of this life must end, but the Dreamers within it won't accept that they've long since died. For 30 years they've lied to their own souls. For 30 years they've denied their own release. Until they accept the responsibility of their crime, they keep us both trapped in a limbo of pain. We just want it to end."
There is no proof that this concept was retained in the final movie. You're trying to twist Dark Alessa's words to force an interpretation that Alessa wants to die, when she never once says any such thing.
It's actually not comparable at all to what happened in the game and I always found several of Gans' ideas very peculiar. Alessa in the game was never divided into good and evil, she simply spliced off most of her soul and left a little out of reasons not really told. What resulted was simply a magically newborn soul-baby and a 7 year old burn-victim held alive with MAGICK in a hospital basement.
Gans' understanding of this actually fits better with the initial plot ideas to SH2, where Maria was apparently meant to be a lot more directly portrayed as the counter-personality Mary.
You're nitpicking Aura's statement. Just because movie Alessa used a specific part of her soul to create Sharon and Dark Alessa, does not make the concept different from what is seen in the game. Both canons involve a young girl gifted with psionic powers creating a double (in the case of movie Alessa, doubles) of herself by splitting off part of her soul and putting it into a new body. It is the exact same idea, just implemented differently.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

The original script and the final script differ in one huge point regarding this argument, that is the origin of Alessas powers. In the original 2004 script it is fairly apparent that seemed to possess certain powers which made the children afraid of her and made her able to survive the burning. In the 2006 movie her powers are portrayed as being gained by the traumatic experience and having called forth this Dark Alessa.
There's cut footage that was shot for the 2006 movie demonstrating Alessa using her powers before the incident, such as controlling butterflies and other things of that nature. It was cut not because the director wanted to change the origin of Alessa's powers, but because he didn't want to confuse audiences into thinking the cult was justified in burning her.
I am not saying that Dark Alessa is an actual demon in the 2006 film or should be understood as such, but she is portrayed more as an autonomous force, separate from Alessa herself. The 2006 movie also clearly hints at the legend of the Darkness being present before the burning of Alessa, clearly woven into the Jennifer Carol myth told by Anna.
She's not. She's the evil inside Alessa, according to the guy who wrote the movie. Jennifer Carol was probably just a previous psychic that was burned by the cult, to signify that Alessa isn't unique.
If you go by the belief that she would lie on this part, why speak the truth apart from that? I do fully belief that there was an intent to use Sharons body from the very beginning, but I doubt it was in search of a mother. If anything it was in search of release, both versions, the 2004 script and the 2006 movie, never much attempt to portray any aspiration of Alessas to make Rose into her new mother.
Yes, they do. Sharon was created in order to find such a mother. It's why she was born.
There is no test of motherhood for Rose beyond using Sharon to bring her so far that she would invite Alessa into the church, which she could never achieve with anybody of the cult. This is also present in the 2004 script where there isn't even a connection between Sharon and Alessa despite looking alike, which is never explained. There it even seems like an afterthought by "Alessa" to join with Sharon.
Yea, no test aside from the church...except when Dark Alessa urges Rose to jump over pits for her, pull objects out of the mouths of corpses, attack her with horrifying monsters and then pull them back at the very last second, and then make her go through the monster-infested darkness....

Before she's given her request to enter the church, Dark Alessa congratulates Rose on her hard work, and THEN shows her the truth. She has ALREADY proven herself to Dark Alessa, which is why she is coming forth with her information. The church invasion is NOT the test. It is the mission statement.

Also, the 2004 script establishes that Sharon looks very much like Sharon, despite wildly different haircolors, implying extremely similar facial structures. I wouldn't say there's no connection.
She set the laws of the Otherworld of Silent Hill, yes, but she has only limited if any powers beyond the reach of Silent Hill. The moment she takes over Sharons body she also receives the limitations of such a body, which would make it hard for her to simply 'go anywhere' without the help of anybody. Even in the movie SH seems to be quite removed from civilization.
You are completely and totally making shit up, now.
But it is not the dream of those lifes (plural) but the dream of this life, which is set in contrast to the dream of life that was Sharon. If you follow the logic that the original script already had the answers that were also in the final film you would also have to go by the logic that the "dreamers" are already dead and simply trapping themselves, and by extension Alessa, in this nightmare.
...And? The dreamers are the cultists. They're the ones lying to themselves. They're the ones putting Alessa in torment, who need to take responsibility for their crime. What the hell does this quote prove, aside from MY point?

Also, Dark Alessa is speaking in metaphor. She has been the whole damn scene.
The aspects of the soul splits don't really matter. Cheryl is still functionally Sharon in the sense of being Alessa's retained innocence and desire to live. Walter's soul split also included a Guilty/Innocent divide.