*New* Akira Yamaoka Interview!

Discuss the latest about the second Silent Hill Movie

Moderator: Moderators

Scanman
Just Passing Through

*New* Akira Yamaoka Interview!

Post by Scanman »

"As the concept of the movie started to work out, I could just relate every detail. . . All the fans will enjoy it for sure, and it's going to be awesome!" - Akira Yamaoka
If one of the "Masters" from TEAM SILENT says this about SH:Revelations, then it must be pretty damn good! I can't wait!

HERE is the FULL Interview - CLICK ME!
- Member of The Order -
~ The Sect of Valtiel ~
Garmonbozey
Just Passing Through

Re: *New* Akira Yamaoka Interview!

Post by Garmonbozey »

This pleases me! Did he ever have any input on the first film, to compare this to?
Hydra666
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Hydra666 »

Scanman wrote:
"As the concept of the movie started to work out, I could just relate every detail. . . All the fans will enjoy it for sure, and it's going to be awesome!" - Akira Yamaoka
If one of the "Masters" from TEAM SILENT says this about SH:Revelations, then it must be pretty damn good!
That means nothing. If he doesn't like the movie, do you really think that he's going to say it in an interview?

Anyway, I'm happy to hear he's making a new solo album. An industrial/rock album would be nice.
Yuki
Historical Society Historian

Post by Yuki »

Hydra666 wrote:
Scanman wrote:
If one of the "Masters" from TEAM SILENT says this about SH:Revelations, then it must be pretty damn good!
That means nothing. If he doesn't like the movie, do you really think that he's going to say it in an interview?
It's possible. I know Rick Riordan, author of the source material for the Percy Jackson films, came off as neutral at best when he's been asked about the film.
Scanman
Just Passing Through

Post by Scanman »

He could have said nothing. Or just the basic reply. Instead he actually seems excited over it! That's a good thing!
- Member of The Order -
~ The Sect of Valtiel ~
chounokoe
Just Passing Through

Post by chounokoe »

Scanman wrote:
He could have said nothing. Or just the basic reply. Instead he actually seems excited over it! That's a good thing!
I will go with the idea that he basically said nothing much at all. He simply said it was very nostalgic and he could create of link to the games in any scene. He never actually said if he thought the film in itself turned out great only that working on it was great.

I think this really short statement says nothing at all.
Silent Fantasy

Post by Silent Fantasy »

^ You won't enjoy working on something if you feel it's disrespecting your past work (SH3 was pretty much Akira's baby). So I would say it does the games, or atleast game, justice in Akira's eyes.
WARNING: Some Parts of Reality May Seem Violent or Cruel.
Scanman
Just Passing Through

Post by Scanman »

chounokoe wrote:
Scanman wrote:
I will go with the idea that he basically said nothing much at all. He simply said it was very nostalgic and he could create of link to the games in any scene. He never actually said if he thought the film in itself turned out great only that working on it was great.

I think this really short statement says nothing at all.
What? He did say he thought the film was "awesome" and that fans are going to love it! Look -
That pretty much sums it up right there!
- Member of The Order -
~ The Sect of Valtiel ~
chounokoe
Just Passing Through

Post by chounokoe »

Scanman wrote:That pretty much sums it up right there!
Hmm, he sure did... :lol:
Somehow that part didn't stand out as much when read in context. But still I find his way of answering that question kind of murky.
Not saying I want the movie to turn out bad, but I'm not yet ready to put all my hopes in a small answer from a (probably) translated interview with a man that is clearly not completely impartial considering this film.

I suppose I just don't want to get all excited over one small sentence.
Scanman
Just Passing Through

Post by Scanman »

chounokoe wrote:
Scanman wrote:That pretty much sums it up right there!
Hmm, he sure did... :lol:
Somehow that part didn't stand out as much when read in context. But still I find his way of answering that question kind of murky.
Not saying I want the movie to turn out bad, but I'm not yet ready to put all my hopes in a small answer from a (probably) translated interview with a man that is clearly not completely impartial considering this film.

I suppose I just don't want to get all excited over one small sentence.
I don't think he would say it if he didn't think it. Cuz if the movie sucked, Akira would be mad that Bassett & Co. pissed all over his baby. Wouldn't you agree? I think he would be even more critical since he was part of the original creative team.
This is the only thing that Akira said about the first film that Gans made when asked by EGM-
EGM: What does Akira think of the additions Christophe has made to the world of Silent Hill?

Akira Yamaoka: After seeing the film, I think that Christophe has really expressed the elements of Silent Hill, and he's really kept the themes alive in this new medium. Silent Hill is not just a horror game, there is human drama rooted very deeply in the story, and I feel that he expressed that very well with the visuals, sounds, and atmosphere in the film. By watching the film, I feel that you'll get a clearer and deeper understanding of the world of Silent Hill, more so than simply playing the games.
Here in this interview, he didn't seem as excited or mention that it was awesome and that every fan of the Silent Hill games will LOVE it! You can tell that he was almost just being nice during this interview. He said nothing about the story and only complimented the visual aspect about Silent Hill, because Gans did nail that. But, IMO, Gans and Avery dropped the ball by changing the story because in SH the movie, instead of Alessa trying to save the world by sealing up the town and protecting herself from the Order (like in the game), she is hell bent on destroying her persecutors with a violent murderous rage! It just changes the tone of the story. Plus, the brethren with Christabella just don't do it for me! I enjoyed the film by Gans aesthetically only as well. Anyways, I seem to be drifting away on an off-topic tangent. So back on topic - My point is that Akira seems to really enjoy how Revelation turned out and it shows. If one of "Team Silent" expresses their joy, then we should have little to fear. But I understand your healthy skepticism. . .
- Member of The Order -
~ The Sect of Valtiel ~
chounokoe
Just Passing Through

Post by chounokoe »

Scanman wrote:I don't think he would say it if he didn't think it. Cuz if the movie sucked, Akira would be mad that Bassett & Co. pissed all over his baby. Wouldn't you agree? I think he would be even more critical since he was part of the original creative team.
But do you actually think that the production company would be alright with an interview being printed that basically said "our movie sucks"? Yamaoka is at least receiving something by his tunes being used so he would be interested himself that the movie doesn't get a bad reputation before it is even released.
I'm not saying these things have to be the case, but it isn't set in stone that the movie is great only because Yamaoka says so.

Also, this is very likely only a part of a larger interview or group-interview. I highly doubt that these were the only few sentences being exchanged between them, but rather the ones that would create the biggest impact. That's why I prefer video-interviews, most of the time you at least notice when there's a cut.

And last but not least, I assume Yamaoka answered in Japanese, so I'm kinda reluctant to base my hope on a translation. The part you posted from another interview could be made much more positive with the use of the right words and the part we're talking about now could be reduced in it's positiveness by some tweaks.
A while back there was an interview with MGS creator Kojima in which English speaking internet sources said, he had claimed that games should not tell a story. I was curious and searched for the video this was based on. In fact he said that he does not want to tell us what his story is about, but rather give us themes and let us immerse in his games worlds, finally letting the gamer decide on an evaluation of the story. This was all because 2 sentences were translated slightly off key, which gave the whole thing a different meaning.

That's why I have problems in just chiming in with the "Akira said it's gonna rock" crowd.
Hydra666
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Hydra666 »

I have no doubts the movie is going to be good (the trailer looks great, especially the otherworlds) but I fear this movie is going to be a gore fest with Alessa shattering those order peasants and Pyramid Head ripping the skin of everyone in sight.

So Akira's opinion just means nothing to me, especially since he's a very nice and positive person. He worked on the movie, so he won't say negative or even neutral stuff about it.
JuriDawn
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Post by JuriDawn »

Good grief people can be so cynical. . .

"Akira Yamaoka says the movie's gonna be great!"
"Yeah, but he probably doesn't mean it." :|

Silent Fantasy

Post by Silent Fantasy »

People fear actually having hope, when disappointment (especially over a movie) will not kill you. lol The premise seems good, I liked the first movie alot, and the trailer got me excited. I'm not scared of hope, nor do I expect it to be a really deep and sophisticated horror movie, but I have little doubt the movie will enthrall me. :)
WARNING: Some Parts of Reality May Seem Violent or Cruel.
Hydra666
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Hydra666 »

JuriDawn wrote:Good grief people can be so cynical. . .

"Akira Yamaoka says the movie's gonna be great!"
"Yeah, but he probably doesn't mean it." :|

''I baked a shitty cake for my girlfriend and she says it tastes great''
''Yeah, but she probably doesn't mean it. '' :|