Just Passing Through

New TV Spot from ShockTillYouDrop

Post by The Demon »

http://www.shocktillyoudrop.com/news/17 ... elation-3d

My thoughts on it:

- we finally see where the monster from the Comic-Con poster comes in, it's
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
another disfigured person, like the homeless man
- the person lying on the table looks like their being turned into a mannequin (maybe has something to do with the Spider monster)
- around 0:25, it looks like we get a glimpse of
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
Leonard's monster form
Patchwork_Heaven
Just Passing Through

Re: New TV Spot from ShockTillYouDrop

Post by Patchwork_Heaven »

I like this tv spot a lot more than the other one.

That stitched up face is probably just a sort of beckoning to come to Silent Hill, not a legitimate monster that attacks Heather. Just a guess.

What was that muscular thing covered in, uh... hair maybe? who broke free of those chains?

The jumping cenobite is growing on me.

Still no Closers. Doubt they'll be in it; isn't worth keeping that big of a secret by not showing in any trailer :evil:
peronmls
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by peronmls »

Maybe the hair thing is Leonard? Also I would like Closers too and I just relized something...they really have shown ANY monsters besides the big ones such as that Helmet person through the flames. There are no common monsters besides the Lying Figure and boring old nurses. ugh Maybe they are saving it for the movie. They have to at least include one monster from SH3...
The Demon
Just Passing Through

Post by The Demon »

peronmls wrote:Maybe the hair thing is Leonard? Also I would like Closers too and I just relized something...they really have shown ANY monsters besides the big ones such as that Helmet person through the flames. There are no common monsters besides the Lying Figure and boring old nurses. ugh Maybe they are saving it for the movie. They have to at least include one monster from SH3...
I will be severely disappointed if the only monsters in SH:R are monsters from the first film, and new monsters created only for the purpose of this film.
jdnation
Historical Society Historian

Post by jdnation »

10 secs in is the Woodbine Center Mall Funfair. :P Looks like a good number of scenes will take place there.
Garmonbozey
Just Passing Through

Post by Garmonbozey »

Cool to see new scenes, but the promo makes it seem like a mindlessly obvious video game adaption.
peronmls
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by peronmls »

There are commercials on tv for it now so watch out for it.
FrankRD
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by FrankRD »

I really don't like the tone of these TV Spots, but I do like the footage I see, if that's understandable.
DistantJ
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DistantJ »

The only thing I didn't like about this one was the "Heather, come to Silent Hilllllehhhhhh" cheesy line delivery, lol, but otherwise awesome.
Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song, and there's always music in the air.
Garmonbozey
Just Passing Through

Post by Garmonbozey »

DistantJ wrote:The only thing I didn't like about this one was the "Heather, come to Silent Hilllllehhhhhh" cheesy line delivery, lol, but otherwise awesome.
Yeah and the "I'm ready!" sounds a lot like a stock videogame sound bite and makes the entire movie seem cheeseball. Stupid marketers.
peronmls
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by peronmls »

...Heathaaa, commme to silenT hhillla...
Falconv1.0
Gravedigger

Post by Falconv1.0 »

You know, looking at the mannequin spider thing really makes me wish they would use more original monsters. I think they could do more than reusing Pyramid Head and Nurses and whatnot but whatever I guess.
Your weaboo is showing
peronmls
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by peronmls »

Falconv1.0 wrote:You know, looking at the mannequin spider thing really makes me wish they would use more original monsters. I think they could do more than reusing Pyramid Head and Nurses and whatnot but whatever I guess.
Thats what im worried about. There are no original monsters. Besides "1" Lying Figure. Maybe there are some in there.
Falconv1.0
Gravedigger

Post by Falconv1.0 »

Honestly the way they used the lying figure in the first film really showed how little of a shit they actually gave about the importance of monster design to me. They pretty much took a pre existing design and made it slightly different and completely pointless. In my opinion when you reuse monsters you make the film seem more like a Silent Hill "themed" attraction, like some kind of a fanfic rather than someone who was genuinely interested in the concept of Silent Hill and adapted it to film. Pyramid Head's inclusion is even more blatant, clearly just there to go HEY YOU LIKED SILENT HILL 2 RIGHT?
Your weaboo is showing
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

There's a very obvious reason why Gans used different monsters than the game. He wanted monsters that the audience could easily associate with Alessa without needing additional scenes explaining that she had a bug collecton, read The Lost World, was scared of dogs, etc. The Armless Man is Alessa's feelings of being unable to move or speak after the burning, causing an acidic hate to build up and eventually explode out of her.
Falconv1.0
Gravedigger

Post by Falconv1.0 »

That really didn't address what I said at all. They pretty much blatantly redo plenty of monsters from the games rather than trying something genuinely original. Not trying to be overly critical but I think it's a valid observation.
Your weaboo is showing
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

I don't see the big deal. It's not lazy to specifically pick already existing monsters that obviously fit the storyline, especially when they come from the game series the movie is based on.
jdnation
Historical Society Historian

Post by jdnation »

Falconv1.0 wrote:Honestly the way they used the lying figure in the first film really showed how little of a shit they actually gave about the importance of monster design to me. They pretty much took a pre existing design and made it slightly different and completely pointless. In my opinion when you reuse monsters you make the film seem more like a Silent Hill "themed" attraction, like some kind of a fanfic rather than someone who was genuinely interested in the concept of Silent Hill and adapted it to film. Pyramid Head's inclusion is even more blatant, clearly just there to go HEY YOU LIKED SILENT HILL 2 RIGHT?
If it was all original monsters, fans would've bitched that it's not faithful to Silent Hill. Now you're complaining for the exact opposite reason.

They'd be damned if they did and damned if they didn't. So the best course of an adaptation was always to take what was there and change it around. It is an adaptation after all. It'd be like adapting Spider-Man and changing his costume to be yellow and making his powers that of something other than a spider. C'mon son...

Besides which Gans was always more interested in adapting Silent Hill 2, but it wouldn't have made sense without 1. Also to be kept in mind that when Gans made the first film... there was NO GUARANTEE it would be a success and get any sequel. In fact chances are that it could've been the only Silent Hill movie that would ever be made. So instead he combined elements from all 3 games to make a unique film that was an homage to everything he loved in the series as a whole. Therefore that's why Pyramid Head was chosen as the monster to carry the film. It's because Gans liked Silent Hill 2 and Pyramid Head and so did the built-in audience he was making this for.
Falconv1.0 wrote:That really didn't address what I said at all. They pretty much blatantly redo plenty of monsters from the games rather than trying something genuinely original. Not trying to be overly critical but I think it's a valid observation.
It's an adaptation, and indeed there are some new monsters as we've seen with the spidey creature along with the old translated to film. Maybe some day when they make a new Silent Hill sequel that is a completely original story they'll come up with entirely new monsters. In any case the films are made to have new and old elements so you get both. Which is pretty much what the majority of people want. A faithful adaptation that has much of what they love realized precisely on film but with some surprises too.
peronmls
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by peronmls »

Yeah. The fan base is tough. Though it would still be nice to have a original monster. I wonder what Ito would have done.
Falconv1.0
Gravedigger

Post by Falconv1.0 »

You can rationalize the decisions made all you want the source material was still pretty much handled like fan fiction. You realize appealing to a niche group of fans pretty much never works out for this kind of stuff...right? The reason videogame movies are never received very well is because of how weighed down they are from the source compared to say, movie adaptations of books. A good example would be The Shining by Stanley Kubrick, which was pretty different from the book to the point where it made for a completely different experience. However, it made use of the interesting concepts from the book so it worked in that way.

The Silent Hill movies pretty much just go "oh Pyramid Head was cool so let's take him and have him show up acting like a fairly generic super monster with no real relevance to the plot". If they're going to use a character as iconic as Pyramid Head, why not actually make use of the traits he had in SH2? He wasn't just a bad guy and he most certainly was not replaceable. Which is the opposite of how he is treated in the film, he is nothing more than fanservice, aiming towards the lowest common denominator tbh.
Your weaboo is showing