Official runtime

Discuss the latest about the second Silent Hill Movie

Moderator: Moderators

JKristine35
Subway Guard

Official runtime

Post by JKristine35 »

According to the BBFC, the official runtime is 94 minutes and 22 seconds.

http://www.bbfc.co.uk/AFF294006/
The Adversary
RESPECT

Re: Official runtime

Post by The Adversary »

Thank god. The first film's runtime of over two hours was ridiculous.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
peronmls
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by peronmls »

awww! Thats short! So 1hr and 5min including credits!
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

Might want to check your math again. That's an hour-and-a-half.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
peronmls
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by peronmls »

hahaha opps! my bad. I still wish it was longer. =P
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

The Adversary wrote:Thank god. The first film's runtime of over two hours was ridiculous.
Gans agrees with you. He stated several times in the Blu-Ray commentary that the film should have been less than 2 hours, but the studio forced the scenes with Sean Bean and gave him no choice.
Klimat
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Klimat »

Also it looks like BBFC gave SHR a ’15′ rating with a "contains strong gory violence" comment.
Karakulz
Just Passing Through

Post by Karakulz »

I figured it would have a '15' certificate, I'm glad actually, it will save me being ID'd when I buy tickets, Haha.

The runtime seem reasonable to me, lets just hope some scenes arent rushed because of the shorter runtime.
~ When the rich wage war, It's the poor who die ~
Patchwork_Heaven
Just Passing Through

Post by Patchwork_Heaven »

94 minutes is a good runtime. Hopefully that means not a lot of filler or unneeded exposition, like in the first film.
KiramidHead
Historical Society Historian

Post by KiramidHead »

The runtime seems just about perfect. The first film would have been around that if not for Chris and Gucci running in circles.
Falconv1.0
Gravedigger

Post by Falconv1.0 »

What was odd to me in the first film was how long it was yet it felt like it was moving at an overly fast pace with how quickly Rose was moving from location to location. I prefer longer films but they need to efficiently use that time to draw in the viewer. Either way, 94 minutes seems decent and I hope it's good.
Your weaboo is showing
wonder's boy
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by wonder's boy »

That's a decent runtime, thank goodness. I may not even have to get up to pee.
Music created by the fans, for the fans. . . . . . . . . . . . . . Vol. 1 | Vol. 2 | Vol. 3
Scanman22

Post by Scanman22 »

I disagree with you guys saying that 94 min is a "decent" run-time. I think a movie like this should not be any shorter than 100 min.! I think that 104 min. would have been a better run-time because I think the 94 min. includes credits and they can possibly run for 6-10 min themselves at the end!
I want this film's pacing to be spot on and never feel rushed especially for a "thinking" type of psychological thriller that Silent Hill should be!
- Member of the Order -
~ The Sect of Valtiel ~
Falconv1.0
Gravedigger

Post by Falconv1.0 »

You know, I did not factor in stuff like credits, dude's got a point.

First movie felt rushed as hell, seriously just cut out the bits with her husband she's basically sprinting through the town.
Your weaboo is showing
Scanman22

Post by Scanman22 »

Falconv1.0 wrote:You know, I did not factor in stuff like credits, dude's got a point.

First movie felt rushed as hell, seriously just cut out the bits with her husband she's basically sprinting through the town.
Correct! The parts that needed flushing out were vague and rushed. Alot of stuff that was important historical information about the town was cut altogether and in its place are ambiguous references, more unanswered questions than answers themselves, and obsure plot-points that can be taken many different ways by the audience. I mean, I love movies that make you think and don't spoon feed you every little detail, but Gans direction along with script changes caused alot of confusion among movie-goers, including the intellectual fans of the games themselves (i.e. - Dark Alessa's "I have many names", Alessa cannot enter the church, Pyramid Head's role, Roses comment "You have all died in the fire you created", The Entire ENDING, etc..) and this is what disappointed alot of people.
So hopefully, Bassett can make us think analytically about the story line without completely losing us on the intended symbolic meaning overall of the film itself! The most interesting part will be the beginning of SH:R and how he connects the two films with the terribly confusing ending Gans gave us! But we shall see. . . .

I just wish the run time of SH:R would be at least over 100 min. NOT counting the beginning or the ending credits! That's not too much to ask! Maybe there will be a longer director's cut on DVD/Blu-Ray?
- Member of the Order -
~ The Sect of Valtiel ~
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

An hour and a half seems really, really short for a story-based film.
Garmonbozey
Just Passing Through

Post by Garmonbozey »

Yuki wrote:An hour and a half seems really, really short for a story-based film.
I disagree. There are several movies that feel longer than they actually are. It's really just about the pacing.

For instance, Ghost in the Shell is only 82 minutes.
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

Garmonbozey wrote:
Yuki wrote:An hour and a half seems really, really short for a story-based film.
I disagree. There are several movies that feel longer than they actually are. It's really just about the pacing.

For instance, Ghost in the Shell is only 82 minutes.
Well, hopefully the pacing will be good in this. I've not seen Bassett's other films, but it's clear he's quite passionate about this one.
wonder's boy

Post by wonder's boy »

I agree that some more time may benefit the film, Yuki. (And I wouldn't mind sitting another half hour watching awesome live action Silent Hill! :) ) Though I'm confident that a story-driven film can fit comfortably over an hour and a half, especially if paced well, as noted above.

Just think about time, though. Have you ever listened to a song that seemed to go on longer than it actually did? What about that song made it seem so much longer? The chorus, the singer's voice (if present)? The music, lyrics, etc? There's been plenty o decent films I've watched that've felt much longer because of effective pacing along with my desire to submerge myself into them. And then, there's been those that feel waaay shorter than they are because of their composition.

What about the 3D element? Has 3D made films seem longer/shorter for anyone here?
Music created by the fans, for the fans. . . . . . . . . . . . . . Vol. 1 | Vol. 2 | Vol. 3
jdnation

Post by jdnation »

The Adversary wrote:Thank god. The first film's runtime of over two hours was ridiculous.
It was? Never ever noticed... :P