Box Office Predictions ?

Discuss the latest about the second Silent Hill Movie

Moderator: Moderators

KoRn_Child
Just Passing Through

Re: Box Office Predictions ?

Post by KoRn_Child »

It's hard to say at this point. Clearly, it bombed in the US. It only got to 10 million on Friday, and horror movies are incredibly front-loaded so it'll drop pretty fast. Especially when you consider that Halloween is over.

BUT, there are still DVD/Blu Ray sales and foreign box office to consider. If it sells well in the home market it will undo some of the damage from the US box office. And 3D movies are very popular in foreign countries, so (assuming it gets theatrical releases elsewhere... I haven't seen any release dates yet) it could make decent money overseas.
How can I be lost if I've got nowhere to go?
Yuki
Historical Society Historian

Post by Yuki »

It made half of its budget back in a single day. That's not a bomb.
Droo

Post by Droo »

Bassett: "Hey, guys, we only lost HALF our money!"

Konami: "Yay!!!!"
"Oh yeah, I've been here before
I can see it with eyes closed
Shadows that look like blood
Dead as far as the mind goes
Fear that comes from my head
Lives in the mirror"
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

Many films don't make back their budget during opening weekend. There's a reason DVDs are pushed so hard by film companies.
Garmonbozey
Just Passing Through

Post by Garmonbozey »

It's currently at 18,000,000$ revenue.

Add in money to be made in the coming weeks + DVD sales and they've made profit.
Silent_Storm
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Silent_Storm »

My local cinema went from showing it twice a week to twice a night so it must be doing something right.
To compare Paranormal Activity is only showing once a night.

More and more films are failing to math box office with budget but only about one third of a films revenue is made from the box office. Much more is made from DVD's and selling the rights to TV. So for the film to have made 90% in under 2 weeks that is very good.
What's the big deal - Laura
KoRn_Child
Just Passing Through

Post by KoRn_Child »

Garmonbozey wrote:It's currently at 18,000,000$ revenue.

Add in money to be made in the coming weeks + DVD sales and they've made profit.

Um, it's at $11.6 million counting Friday. It'll be lucky to reach $13 million by the end of the weekend.
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

KoRn_Child wrote:
Garmonbozey wrote:It's currently at 18,000,000$ revenue.

Um, it's at $11.6 million counting Friday. It'll be lucky to reach $13 million by the end of the weekend.
11.6 is domestic-only. The original quote includes foreign distribution, and if Box Office Mojo is to be believed, the movie's just broken through its budget and is now profiting.
Numinex
Just Passing Through

Post by Numinex »

Yep, it made $20,428,212 worldwide, according to Mojo.
DistantJ
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DistantJ »

It's dropped quite slowly for a horror film so far, likely due to the staggered release and the fact that the horror nuts have seen Paranormal Activity and Sinister now and are catching up on SH. I mean, the most recent Halloween films got released in August so as not to compete with SAW.

So it's made back its budget in the theatrical run, and next up is rental and DVD sales, which are particularly strong in the horror genre, moreso now than ever. There's still more than enough possibility of a third film.
Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song, and there's always music in the air.
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

DistantJ wrote:It's dropped quite slowly for a horror film so far, likely due to the staggered release and the fact that the horror nuts have seen Paranormal Activity and Sinister now and are catching up on SH. I mean, the most recent Halloween films got released in August so as not to compete with SAW.

So it's made back its budget in the theatrical run, and next up is rental and DVD sales, which are particularly strong in the horror genre, moreso now than ever. There's still more than enough possibility of a third film.
Precisely. Hopefully we'll get one!
Fevered Dream
Gravedigger

Post by Fevered Dream »

I read somwhere that a film has to make twice it's budget in order to be considered profitable. Someone may have to confirm this as I'm not totally sure (also not sure what it's budge was) but I still think that the movie has a chance to make enough money for a sequel to be considered. And I imagine it could be popular when it's released on video.
Bitch, don't kill my vibe.
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

Fevered Dream wrote:I read somwhere that a film has to make twice it's budget in order to be considered profitable. Someone may have to confirm this as I'm not totally sure (also not sure what it's budge was) but I still think that the movie has a chance to make enough money for a sequel to be considered. And I imagine it could be popular when it's released on video.
As has been said before, its budget was approximately $20 million. Since it was released just over a week ago, it's made its budget back if we combine domestic and overseas box office sales; this isn't taking into account DVD sales.
Silent_Storm
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Silent_Storm »

Fevered Dream wrote:I read somwhere that a film has to make twice it's budget in order to be considered profitable. Someone may have to confirm this as I'm not totally sure (also not sure what it's budge was) but I still think that the movie has a chance to make enough money for a sequel to be considered. And I imagine it could be popular when it's released on video.
Yes this is true because cinema's keep about 40% off the box office tickets.
What's the big deal - Laura
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

I'm fairly certain theatres get less than 40%; it's why they charge so much for concessions.
Numb Body01

Post by Numb Body01 »

So right now BOM has the total at $20,408,482. SH:R needs to make roughly $40,000,000 to break even (most films spend the same amount on marketing as they do production - and SH:R was rather heavily marketed). I don't see the film making much more from cinemas and DVD/Blu-Ray sales will only take it so far.
Music created by the fans, for the fans. . . . . . . . . . . . . . Vol. 1 | Vol. 2 | Vol. 3
resevil80
Just Passing Through

Post by resevil80 »

It could easily make 20 million in dvd sales and rentals(also including VOD, Netflix ect ect)....Thats where most films make their money anyway....
eddieatemypizza
Just Passing Through

Post by eddieatemypizza »

looks like shr finished in 10th place at the box office for last week. its so sad that friggin wreck it ralph earned more $ opening weekend than both silent hills combined. what the hell has this world come to? and it lost to here comes the boom, like seriously?
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

eddieatemypizza wrote:looks like shr finished in 10th place at the box office for last week. its so sad that friggin wreck it ralph earned more $ opening weekend than both silent hills combined. what the hell has this world come to? and it lost to here comes the boom, like seriously?
How is it sad? Wreck-It Ralph not only has the name of Disney behind it but also the advertising budget and mainstream appeal of having multiple video game characters cameoing in it as well as multiple celebrity voice actors. SHR's pretty much an indie horror flick trying to appeal to the mainstream but still attracting a rather niche audience; did you think it'd beat it?
KoRn_Child
Just Passing Through

Post by KoRn_Child »

Wreck-It Ralph's supposed to be good, too.