I Saw It! Post Your Reviews Here! (Mark your spoilers, too!)

Discuss the latest about the second Silent Hill Movie

Moderator: Moderators

Did You Enjoy It?

Yes
23%
It Had It's Good and Bad Points
35%
No
42%

Total votes: 144

JKristine35
Subway Guard

Re: I Saw It! Post Your Reviews Here! (Mark your spoilers, t

Post by JKristine35 »

Did we ever find out what happened to the alive burnt Alessa?
Nope. The recombination of the souls at the end of the first film was retconned, so we're left to assume her adult form is still lying in Brookhaven.
tbonesays
Hope House Careworker

Post by tbonesays »

resevil80 wrote:
WelcomeToNowhere wrote:^No, that nitpicky detail was reserved for the Pokémon battle at the end of the film. I mean, that was awesome and all, but it just oozed fanservice.

Not that fanservice is always a BAD thing, but when it comes at the expense of plot coherence and a good movie, it ends up just screwing us over.

That said, TEAM PYRAMID HEAD GO! ^-^
Either way, I can see people complaining.....They always do....
The comments concerning the faithfulness of the monsters remind me of Lord of The Rings, dang film adaptation. No matter how great Peter Jackson looked at costumes or got great actors to perform; it was never going to be like we imagined reading the books. Similarly however they arrange the monsters for you, it cannot be as scary as it was when you played.
Cactusgod
Just Passing Through

Post by Cactusgod »

tbonesays wrote:
resevil80 wrote:
WelcomeToNowhere wrote:^No, that nitpicky detail was reserved for the Pokémon battle at the end of the film. I mean, that was awesome and all, but it just oozed fanservice.

Not that fanservice is always a BAD thing, but when it comes at the expense of plot coherence and a good movie, it ends up just screwing us over.

That said, TEAM PYRAMID HEAD GO! ^-^
Either way, I can see people complaining.....They always do....
The comments concerning the faithfulness of the monsters remind me of Lord of The Rings, dang film adaptation. No matter how great Peter Jackson looked at costumes or got great actors to perform; it was never going to be like we imagined reading the books. Similarly however they arrange the monsters for you, it cannot be as scary as it was when you played.

I half-agree with the sentiment here...but I mean...Peter Jackson had to take books and turn them into visuals. Silent Hill already had all of its monsters visible and animated in multiple games for them to look at and determine how they were going to have them behave.
born2kill
Just Passing Through

Post by born2kill »

Silent Hill Revelations is amazing cosplay. and an awful, horrendous excuse for a film. I'd call it one of the worst movies i've ever seen, but i wouldnt even classify it as a movie. Its more like a series of videogame cutscenes acted out in real life (which is awesome), then shuffled around in random order & then a third of the scenes removed inexplicably. and then stitched together with mumbo jumbo explanations to connect scenes, until it becomes utterly incomprehensible.
BUT never fear, we have the world's worst fan fiction writer to narrate over the movie & tell us whats going on. And explain again. And again and again ad nauseam. Great! until you realize that hes making it all up as he goes along.

and then pyramid head fights a cenobite in an inferno match.
and then harry abandons his daughter with a complete stranger.

and then it ends...

Thats not a movie; that is a few things which happened to be filmed.
Yuki
Historical Society Historian

Post by Yuki »

born2kill wrote:Silent Hill Revelations is amazing cosplay. and an awful, horrendous excuse for a film. I'd call it one of the worst movies i've ever seen, but i wouldnt even classify it as a movie. Its more like a series of videogame cutscenes acted out in real life (which is awesome), then shuffled around in random order & then a third of the scenes removed inexplicably. and then stitched together with mumbo jumbo explanations to connect scenes, until it becomes utterly incomprehensible.
BUT never fear, we have the world's worst fan fiction writer to narrate over the movie & tell us whats going on. And explain again. And again and again ad nauseam. Great! until you realize that hes making it all up as he goes along.

and then pyramid head fights a cenobite in an inferno match.
and then harry abandons his daughter with a complete stranger.

and then it ends...

Thats not a movie; that is a few things which happened to be filmed.
Let's be real here: there's worse. The Room, Troll 2, Twilight...
born2kill
Just Passing Through

Post by born2kill »

Yuki wrote:
I didnt say it was the worst movie ever. I'm saying its one of the worst. and troll 2 is awesome. I wish revelations was set in nilbog
Patchwork_Heaven
Just Passing Through

Post by Patchwork_Heaven »

Whether or not you're into sparkly vampires, Twilight made a lot more sense than SH: Revelation did. And that makes me even sadder.
ashatteredmemory
Gravedigger

Post by ashatteredmemory »

Watched the movie this weekend, and well, my overall opinion is that is was bad.
I don't think that the acting was that bad, but the script and writing was pretty much horrendous.
There is just soooo much wrong with this movie, I wasn't even sure where to start. I managed to sum up 12 points. 12 goddamn points. It really is a shame. While most are plot-hole related, some of them are more of a personal taste though.
Many of the points have been discussed previously here though.
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
First of: Introducing and killing the same characters within 5 minutes. It was a really darn shame that Douglas was killed nearly instantly + no depth in this (game-wise) interesting character.

Secondly: The Missionary (cenobite): There is actually no reason for her to exist in the beginning of the film, since she's created by the complete Seal. Since there was no complete Seal, she couldn't have been turned in it for the first place, nor even being outside of Silent Hill.

Thirdly: The Mannequin Spider scene was just off. Not only was this completely random person for a completely random person there, she got killed in the same scene. I would even think the scene was better without her. Actually, why was there even that thing in that room? (symbolism?)

Fourthly: Dahlia says that Heather should better be inside while the darkness is around. Since all the monsters we've seen were inside buildings, I would stay the hell outside. It seems to be well-lit anyways.

Fifth gripe: The complete cult retcon addressed by everyone.

Sixth: Absolutely random and useless gore.

Seventh: While trying to build up some atmosphere, the scene in the Mall was so extremely odd, switching between reality and Otherworld.

Eight: The cult people are wearing masks, so they wouldn't be affected by the Darkness. Conveniently said by Vincent the scene before one of them loses his mask. And what do you know? Vincent doesn't wear a mask, but that guy suddenly seizures for no apparant reason.

Ninth: The battle between Pyramid and Missionary was so odd, while it felt a bit epic, Pyramid Head is so incredibly slow with his sword that Missionary could have chopped him up in pieces already.

Tenth: Why didn't the Missionary kidnap Heather instead of Vincent? Didn't they want Heather to be there?

Eleventh: Cheezy love romance, Vincent falls in love within mere hours while he was teached hating her.

Twelfth problem: Although the Darkness is abound and spawns creatures, Brookhaven got rebuilt so usefully for the Cult (although those goons were absolute idiots)

Game-related thirteenth: Brookhaven wanted to look fleshy, like the game, but failed. It seemed so much like plastic. The complete otherworld could have been done more interestingly were it not it used the exact same METAL-EVERYWHERE approach from the first movie.
Damn, this was quite the rant D:

It had some good points too though. I found some scenes actually scary and got scared by the jump-scares. I loved some of the winks to the games, and set and decor was mostly nice. Heather felt real and believable and feels like the Heather from the game.
"Grown-ups tell kids there's no such thing as monsters, that the Bogeyman is just make-believe, and there's nothing hiding under their beds, but that's a lie. Because I've seen 'em." - Murphy Pendleton
Numinex
Just Passing Through

Post by Numinex »

The cult people are wearing masks, so they wouldn't be affected by the Darkness. Conveniently said by Vincent the scene before one of them loses his mask. And what do you know? Vincent doesn't wear a mask, but that guy suddenly seizures for no apparant reason.
Vincent said, that the Darkness air is toxic only for the members of Brethren. Why? Because f**k them, apparently :P
I think it's related to this whole 'faith' problem - they believe the Darkness corrupts them, so it actually kills them. Yeah, it couldn't be less subtle.
But don't get me wrong, I'm not defending this movie cause I think it's a pile of... *cough*
Tabris
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Tabris »

I never posted when I first seen it (the day it came out) with my girlfriend. She is a huge Silent Hill fan as well. We both pretty much had the same reaction which was pretty much just `ehhhhh`. Neither of us were impressed and we both love the first movie despite its flaws.

There was a lot to like but it was so overshadowed by its flaws. Most of what I could say has been stated probably a billion times in this thread.

However, I am definitely going to write a full on review when I am more familiar with the film.
Redklok
Just Passing Through

Post by Redklok »

This movie was worse then deep-fried tampons. That director is a complete moron.
I have not paid a dime to see it but I still feel ripped off because I wasted an hour and a half of my life
SilentRobert23
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by SilentRobert23 »

Saw it last night. Awful, both as a sequel to the first film, and as an adaptation of Silent Hill 3. Most of my gripes have already been addressed in this thread, though.
Yuki
Historical Society Historian

Post by Yuki »

Rewatched both films back-to-back last night. I still enjoy Revelation a lot--it has a lot of flaws to it, but I still think it's a blast. It's definitely a better "movie" whereas Silent Hill was a better "film", if you get my drift.
resevil80
Just Passing Through

Post by resevil80 »

Yuki wrote:Rewatched both films back-to-back last night. I still enjoy Revelation a lot--it has a lot of flaws to it, but I still think it's a blast. It's definitely a better "movie" whereas Silent Hill was a better "film", if you get my drift.
I understand exactly what your saying and agree....SHR was more fun to watch than Silent Hill, while Silent Hill is the better Film....
Dale2231
Just Passing Through

Post by Dale2231 »

I've just finished watching it through for the third time, but the first in 3D. Unfortunately, apart from the two falling ash scenes, it lends nothing to the experience.
I understand why some people like it, but for me, apart from the nice set designs and (fellow Australian) Adelaide Clemmens as Heather, the "movie" is complete garbage.
VenusDoom
Hope House Careworker

Post by VenusDoom »

I liked it. It was cheesy, but I like it in the same way I like the 60's Batman show.
But that ending though. I got chills. I freaked out a little seeing
Travis and the Prison bus.
I would like to see a sequel. And looking back on it, did anyone else think that the creepy guy with the Robby on the bus was a reference to Walter?
Cry baby, cry baby, cry,<3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_DW9xJTX-4
I love the Silent Hill Series. The games: Homecoming, Origins, and Shattered Memories, did nothing wrong whatsoever, they were developed well, and did things different. Just because they were not by Team Silent doesn't mean that they're bad games. I believe in this series. I believe that one day, we can have a game that will make all Silent Hill fans Happy. I believe that Silent Hill Downpour can achieve this.
Team Silent may be gone, but their series isn't. Instead... it's here, it's alive.

If you agree, add it to your sig.
The Demon
Just Passing Through

Post by The Demon »

Well I finally saw the film, and I feel like I can't say anything more than has already been said. Film was terrible, I can't think of one good thing about it. I just hope that people who said the first Silent Hill film was bad now realize how great it really was.
silenthillking
Just Passing Through

Post by silenthillking »

i would love to no why the film feels wrong the first film works but s h r god i can not put my finger on it Micheal seemed to have a good knowledge of silent hill but couldn't make the movie work
Fevered Dream
Gravedigger

Post by Fevered Dream »

Bought the movie today and watched it for the second time and I have to say that I actually enjoyed it more than I did the first time. I won't try to argue or convince anyone that it's a great movie or anything, but it's a fine popcorn flick if you get my meaning. There are obvious flaws in the continuity between the first movie and this one along with some very questionable writing but I try to move past that and enjoy it for what it is.
Bitch, don't kill my vibe.
SHACKled89451
Gravedigger

Post by SHACKled89451 »

Well,

Finally got around to seeing SHR last night..I have had it for a couple of days, but was delaying actually putting it in the blu-ray player for obvious reasons, haha.

So, my review.

While I was disappointed, (especially by the ending) it wasn't....as.....bad....as I expected... that was hard to say :x Even though 90% of this movie all but shit on what I've come to love about SH storylines, I somehow still enjoyed watching most of it? Strange... Some parts were executed quite well, others...piss poor. It was like buying a Ferrari and finding out it has the horsepower of a moped. The beginning actually had me a bit intrigued.. but they just rushed through this thing like they couldn't wait to get it over with, no time to really soak up the atmosphere (what little there was)

I wanted to like SHR, but in the end I was left with a sour taste in my mouth after watching it, mostly because I KNOW the potential is there, and the producers just keep f**king it up..

*sigh*

I dare say if there ever is another motion picture based on this series, it is in need of a MAJOR retuning.
revalations 23:16