Search FAQ

Login | Register

All times are UTC [ DST ]

It is currently 10 Aug 2020

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 555 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 28  Next

Did You Enjoy It?
Yes 23%  23%  [ 33 ]
It Had It's Good and Bad Points 35%  35%  [ 51 ]
No 42%  42%  [ 60 ]
Total votes : 144

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject: Re: I Saw It! Post Your Reviews Here! (Mark your spoilers, t

Missing since: 01 Aug 2006
Notes left: 11387
Last seen at: I'm here, and waiting for you
Quote:
The first element I'm talking about is the cause, and by cause I refer to the psychology basis that led to the events of SH:R. Gans missed the same thing with the first movie. He made an A++ atmospheric and artistic film, even though there was no supporting basis. The manifestation, the otherworldish fabrication, the drama, the music- all of this is flawless in the first movie- but what he hadn't established even there is a firm core of the events- the psychology that caused everything. I'm sorry, but the entire tremendously dramatic and epic plot is based on a witch burning cult that burned a little girl, and now she is mad, takes over the town with psychic powers and wants to kill them. How? Why? What? And now Basset used the same loose origin to build his own shitload of crap, and I refer to the exaggeration of effects/action (the second element).

That's a perfectly acceptable psychological cause. Just because you didn't find it satisfactory doesn't mean it isn't there. SH4 basically has the same sort of motivation (Walter mad. Walter want perfect mommy. Walter want revenge. Walter make world where he can have both. Profit.)

Also, Alessa was originally based off of Carrie in the original games, so taking that to the next level in the movie is 100% appropriate.

Quote:
Regarding the atmosphere, I think that the main issue comes from a major oversight. First of all, I'm not the dogmatic fan type that hates the movie for not being consistent with the holy Team Silent game. In contrary, I blame Basset for missing a huge artistic element that was identifiable in every single SH game till now, Gans' movie inclusive. The atmosphere, the music, the ambient of the SILENT HILL universe is based upon the relation between attraction and repulsion. The Otherworld is both a place that disgusts and intrigues. The monsters, even though terrifying and disturbing, adhere to the beautiful melody of the Otherworld's symphony. It's about the art of attraction and repulsion. In Revelation, there's just repulsion. I mean, all of the scenes just disturbed me and disgusted me. Nothing more. No Otherworld symphony here, just blood, gore, extreme disturbance, chops and slashes.

I'm not trying to be a dick or anything, but I literally do not know what this means.

Aside from the pure subjectivity of your complaint. I thought the spider monster for instance was fucking awesome.

Quote:
In Revelation, Basset drags you from the school to the mall, then into her home and in Jack's Inn in less than 20 min. Tell me if any of the scenes got to you?

Well, actually, it was 35 minutes. And yes.

Quote:
Yes, Sharon did forget everything- no big deal, it's not like anything big had happened, it's not like she got lured to a cursed town by the other half of her soul that, by the way, just wrapped the town in eternal darkness and slashed about 50 cultists that burned her back in '74, no biggie.

You're right. No one has ever repressed memories after traumatic events in Silent Hill.

Really?

Quote:
I loved how Leonard tells Heather how he loves her, even though he's known her for like, one afternoon,

...Vincent.

Quote:
as I said, a Halo on Vincent's chest and the scene where Claudia was obeying the Gods' that specifically instructed her to inscribe a giant Halo tattoo on the chest of her son. Again, a great scene for the female public. Hell, why not put a scene where Claudia earmarks her son's butt with a steamed halo-shaped steel? That would also put the public on edge.

You're literally just looking for things to complain about at this point. Calm down, you're being extremely farcical at this point.

Quote:
Why would Alessa allow Rose to do anything against her will? It's her world, she would have known the seal has powers. The cult knew it, and Rose knew it, so why wouldn't Alessa know it?

You seem to have the bad habit of assuming Alessa is functionally omnipotent and omniscient in every respect. While she is really powerful, she's also fundamentally a child in many ways. She has what she wants and she thinks she's won; she could've let her guard down. Or even allowed the Seal to be in her presence to keep an eye on it, certain that Rose wouldn't know how to use it anyway.

Cafe5to2 Waitress

Missing since: 11 Sep 2011
Notes left: 293
Isn't this the thread to post your reviews?

Not trying to be an asshole, but why then are we dissecting fellow posters' thoughts, I honestly don't get it.

Subway Guard

Missing since: 12 May 2008
Notes left: 1684
Last seen at: Houston, Tx.
@ Yuki:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
But Heather has become one with Dark Alessa, so it makes sense that she has her powers. The presence of Dark Alessa and her hate within Heather is shown when her face temporarily turns dark as she hand Claudia the seal.

@ Aura:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
In her world, Alessa is omnipotent. Further, she may be child-like, but she's learned well to be distrustful. And seeing Rose running off to confront Leonard would have set off some serious alarm bells for anyone. In the end, I just don't see any evidence that any of these theories are correct, and given Bassett's retconning of the cult and misunderstanding of Dahlia's relationship with Christabella, it's far more likely he simply retconned the ending.

Just Passing Through

Missing since: 18 Sep 2010
Notes left: 50
i enjoyed SHR the 2nd time watching more than the 1st time. It was more tolerable on the 2nd watch through.

it would have been awesome if they would have had angela and eddie walking into town at the end along with what they already had as the ending..and then a mile or 2 later saw car parked and man looking like james reading a letter and as the movie goes off you hear him say, Mary, could you really be in this town?

Gravedigger

Missing since: 15 Oct 2011
Notes left: 599
Last seen at: Phoenix
FrankRD wrote:
Isn't this the thread to post your reviews?

Not trying to be an asshole, but why then are we dissecting fellow posters' thoughts, I honestly don't get it.

It's a discussion forum, that's what we do.

JKristine35 wrote:
@ Aura:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
In her world, Alessa is omnipotent. Further, she may be child-like, but she's learned well to be distrustful. And seeing Rose running off to confront Leonard would have set off some serious alarm bells for anyone. In the end, I just don't see any evidence that any of these theories are correct, and given Bassett's retconning of the cult and misunderstanding of Dahlia's relationship with Christabella, it's far more likely he simply retconned the ending.

I don't think Dark Alessa was omnipotent even though she was boss of the Otherworld. She can't get into the church. She can't make the darkness permanent. And their appears to be another god that could be born and challenge her.

Subway Guard

It's not that she can't get into the church, it's that she doesn't want to. She wanted a complete victory over the cultists, which would not have happened if she just marched in there skewered them all without first making them realize that they're going to hell for their sins.

I already explained to you in detail on IMDb that Dark Alessa can make the darkness last for however long she wants. It's not permanent because she doesn't want it to be permanent.

It's assumed by the Order that the god could challenge her. Since it was never born, no one knows that for sure.

Just Passing Through

Missing since: 31 Dec 2009
Notes left: 143
Last seen at: Lebanon, Pennsylvania
She explicitly says in the original film that she can't enter the church.

Subway Guard

If she couldn't enter at all, then Rose wouldn't have made a difference. Alessa wanted the cult to see the truuth before she slaughtered them.

Rosewater Park Attendant

Missing since: 18 Apr 2009
Notes left: 1399
Yeah, the cult's faith prevented her from entering the church, which was why she entered Rose to be born through her.

On the town's psychology - once again we are now focusing on stuff which was established in SILENT HILL 2, and out of the original four that was the ONLY one to strictly adhere to these rules we are now imposing on the movies.

It's clear that the reason for Alessa's burning was retconned in this movie, but not inelegantly so. It was more the traditional sequel method of adding a deeper reason for an event in a previous entry. "Oh I did that because..." Sequels have often done this. As a fan of the first film I don't think it was necessary here but it was a way for closer game canon to be worked in without contradiction.

I've chosen to ignore your responses in some of these threads, KoRn_Child, as I feel you're being stubborn and not listening to me but I generally quite like you and I don't want to fall out over some film.

I really, really enjoyed this film and so did many, and not as something dumb. You know me, you know I'm a pretty smart guy, and that I don't just take whatever is fed to me, we just both took something different from it. I think the film was every bit as deep and clever as the game it was based on, but also has as many flaws in the storytelling as SH3 did. If we bring SH2 into the equation, no, it doesn't live up to it, but SH2 has this 'standard raising' effect that's best left out if we're to continue enjoying this series.

Subway Guard

Missing since: 20 Jul 2004
Notes left: 1539
Last seen at: VA
^ There's no need to bring up SH2 at all, seeing as there's no film in this series based off it... so just compare it to the first film.

Yeah, it was pretty obvious the dark one couldn't enter the church. she even tells Rose this during that scene with Rose by Alessa's bedside.

Anyway, I still think Revelations is utter crap, but if folks enjoyed it, great.

Gravedigger

Skele wrote:
^ There's no need to bring up SH2 at all, seeing as there's no film in this series based off it... so just compare it to the first film.

Yeah, it was pretty obvious the dark one couldn't enter the church. she even tells Rose this during that scene with Rose by Alessa's bedside.

Anyway, I still think Revelations is utter crap, but if folks enjoyed it, great.

I look at it as more we're adopting SHR because it's part our fandom. We want a successful series of movies, unified by something called canon, so we'll highlight what parts of SHR worked and not beat its flaws to death.

Missing since: 01 Aug 2006
Notes left: 11387
Last seen at: I'm here, and waiting for you
Quote:
It's not that she can't get into the church, it's that she doesn't want to.

This is honestly just your interpretation. It's one I personally agree with, but the original movie doesn't solidify it 100% either way.

Quote:
If she couldn't enter at all, then Rose wouldn't have made a difference.

See above. Rose made the cultists doubt just long enough to force Christabella's hand. That's all that's needed to shatter their security blanket of faith, either literally or metaphorically.

Just Passing Through

Missing since: 12 Dec 2010
Notes left: 111
Last seen at: Your Bedroom Window
Watched it last night, it was probably the worst film I've seen all year. Terrible acting from everyone (Sean Bean's accent was beyond anything I've ever heard.) terrible monsters, poor effects, shitty half-arsed story trying to be like the games while trying to keep continuity of the previous film.
There were things that didn't even make sense. And let me just say, the end "fight" was an absolute disaster! It didn't fit in the film let alone the Silent Hill franchise!
Only thing I kinda liked was the visual style, but, then, that was taken from the first film anyway. And if I had to say one actor/actress was ok it would be Adelaide Clemens, she was ok with what she had to work with.

I always said this film would make the original look a masterpiece and I was right... My opinion, if you haven't seen it yet, don't bother. It is truly awful.

2/10

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally. You merely adopted the dark; I was born in it, moulded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but BLINDING! " -Bane

Just Passing Through

Missing since: 14 Mar 2012
Notes left: 10
Last seen at: Tulsa, OK / Chicago, IL
I think the end fight scene could've used some wrestling moves. They were already having an inferno match.

Cafe5to2 Waitress

Missing since: 11 Sep 2011
Notes left: 293
AuraTwilight wrote:
Quote:
It's not that she can't get into the church, it's that she doesn't want to.

This is honestly just your interpretation. It's one I personally agree with, but the original movie doesn't solidify it 100% either way.

That's actually my problem with the first movie, it solidifies very little.

Gravedigger

Twitch_Moan wrote:
I think the end fight scene could've used some wrestling moves. They were already having an inferno match.

and the girls were having a great lumberjack match until Dark Alessa immolated all the jacks. :lol:

Just Passing Through

Twitch_Moan wrote:

It might as well have done, it couldn't have got any worse!

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally. You merely adopted the dark; I was born in it, moulded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but BLINDING! " -Bane

Missing since: 22 Jun 2006
Notes left: 1924
Last seen at: Katz Street
Dr-G0nz0 wrote:
Twitch_Moan wrote:

It could have been much worse. This is just a case of exaggerating what one doesn't like just because they didn't like it.
Comparing it to wrestling is amusing though. :lol: I could easily see a parody of that, for the people that don't see it as a parody of itself anyway.

Just Passing Through

Missing since: 03 Feb 2010
Notes left: 122
Last seen at: Tennessee
Tables, Ladders and Chairs match.....And it could have been Resident Evil:Apocalypse bad...

Just Passing Through

Silent Fantasy wrote:
Dr-G0nz0 wrote:
Twitch_Moan wrote:

It could have been much worse. This is just a case of exaggerating what one doesn't like just because they didn't like it.
Comparing it to wrestling is amusing though. :lol: I could easily see a parody of that, for the people that don't see it as a parody of itself anyway.

There is nothing exaggerated about it. Minus the wrestling jokes, how could that scene have gotten much worse? What relivance did it have to help the film and how did it even suit what the franchise has always gone for: subtle. It was the final nail in the coffin to finish off a terrible film.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 555 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 28  Next