KiramidHead wrote:Graham, Anna Graham.

Right, Zach?

Now back on topic.
Bless you, my child.
MistahJ
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Re: Third movie, new story?

Post by MistahJ »

I really hope they either reboot the series, come up with a completely original Silent Hill story, or make the next movie based off of Silent Hill 4: The Room. If they did the latter, I think it could really work because SH4's story could stand on it's own without having to implement the first two movies. I'm not opposed to a Downpour or Origins movie. Hell, I'll take what I can get when it comes to Silent Hill, but I just hope the next thing that comes out isn't as bad as Revelation was.
"The truth is rarely pure and never simple" - Oscar Wilde

(somethinglacking on Discord)
Leo Ho Tep
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Leo Ho Tep »

it definitely needs to be a stand alone story imo. What not take the Past Life route and set it in the past?
Skele
Subway Guard

Post by Skele »

"Why would I want to watch a movie when I already know the ending? "

People always use this argument with films based on books, which I don't get. It'd be nice to sit back enjoy one of my favorite games as a film, especially if done well. Plus, who's to say that the ending won't be altered a little for the better, or which ending they'll decide to use from the game?

Either way, I'm not a fan of the films going off and following Heather's adventures. Seems too similar to what the RE films have done with Alice, and yeah, I just don't want that.
dias17se
Just Passing Through

Post by dias17se »

Agree with a comic formula, could work really well. Then again box office numbers aren´t certainly impressive... don´t think it found it´s audience on dvd either like Dredd (2012), i´m not seeing fuel for another movie but who knows.
Squarehead
Gravedigger

Post by Squarehead »

That's weird considering the ending of Revelation.

I think they should've either done full justice to the games from the start, or made a completely own thing from the start. Not take stories from the games and twist them.
I can't believe i earned 10 Silent Hill cash for this.
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

It is not possible to take a story written for a video game, especially one as deep and convulated as Silent Hill, and adapt it into a movie that anyone other than the most hardcore fanboys would want to watch. It would suck ass and be either 4 hours long, or so full of straight exposition that there would be no time for any atmosphere or horror. It is perfectly fine to take the story's base elements and make a watchable movie out of it. I'm quite glad they adapted SH1, since movie Alessa is my favorite character in the entire series.
Squarehead
Gravedigger

Post by Squarehead »

Well no, probably not. But they could've just removed some stuff from the game and simplified things, not make pointless changes like with the names, the nature of the town, the nature of Alessa/Cheryl, etc. Instead of simplifying things, they made another convoluted confusing story.
I can't believe i earned 10 Silent Hill cash for this.
tbonesays
Hope House Careworker

Post by tbonesays »

Squarehead wrote:Well no, probably not. But they could've just removed some stuff from the game and simplified things, not make pointless changes like with the names, the nature of the town, the nature of Alessa/Cheryl, etc. Instead of simplifying things, they made another convoluted confusing story.
here here, I just prevailed upon my syblings to watch the SH movie last week and the best answer I got was that it was too wacko to have a coherent meaning.

Odd, but I bet most gamers felt disappointment that the cult had been dumbed down into a big bad Christian with huntin small townies.
Patman
Gravedigger

Post by Patman »

^ They were talking about Revelations not about the first movie. Although I and the people who watched the first movie with me were confused about a few details at least we got the gist of it. Can' t say the same about the game, I had no clue what the fuck I just watched (getting the bad - ending didn' t help). Nothing several re-watch/play can' t fix though, Revelations on the other hand is just a bloody mess.

Not sure about most gamers, but I for one didn' t mind the cult being "dumbed down". I wouldn' t even call it that, religious fanatic is religious fanatic is religious fanatic. Painting it christian makes its coocoo for cocoa puffness all the more believable and relatable, i.e. frightening (hi, atheist here).
tbonesays
Hope House Careworker

Post by tbonesays »

Patman wrote:^ They were talking about Revelations not about the first movie. Although I and the people who watched the first movie with me were confused about a few details at least we got the gist of it. Can' t say the same about the game, I had no clue what the fuck I just watched (getting the bad - ending didn' t help). Nothing several re-watch/play can' t fix though, Revelations on the other hand is just a bloody mess.

Not sure about most gamers, but I for one didn' t mind the cult being "dumbed down". I wouldn' t even call it that, religious fanatic is religious fanatic is religious fanatic. Painting it christian makes its coocoo for cocoa puffness all the more believable and relatable, i.e. frightening (hi, atheist here).
I thought they meant the film series in general.

If I had played the games I would have been irritated they went the familiar Carrie route instead of presenting the audience with the cult as they were envisioned by Team Silent. (I think that's what SHR tried to correct). Like if they tried adapting Final Fantasy III, it may be more believable to change Kefka into a crooked CEO of a bank, but a let down nonetheless.
Patman
Gravedigger

Post by Patman »

^ I think you meant FFVI. Although I understand why fans would bitch about these or those changes at the end of the day you have to step back, forget the games even exist for a second and ask yourself if the movie stands on its own.

Most Disney classics and, say, Blade Runner, Total Recall, The Exorcist, The Shining, The Godfather, Fight Club and Planet of the Apes all twisted their original material, sometimes beyond recognition. I don' t hear anyone moan about those.

The most iconic shot from Planet of the Apes, the one showing a ruined statue of liberty on a beach ? Yeah, not in the book. Originally the narator landed his spaceship in a not-so-destroyed Orly airport (in Paris) and realized the airport was now run by monkeys.
Last edited by Patman on 03 Apr 2014, edited 1 time in total.
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

Squarehead wrote:Well no, probably not. But they could've just removed some stuff from the game and simplified things, not make pointless changes like with the names, the nature of the town, the nature of Alessa/Cheryl, etc. Instead of simplifying things, they made another convoluted confusing story.
The only name changes were Rose and Sharon, which together act as a reference to the Biblical "Rose of Sharon", just another of the first movie's many symbolic references to the Bible. Most gamers think the town in the games is abandoned (although it's not), so making the movie town abandoned isn't actually a huge deal, and adds suspense and mystery for movie audiences. The relation between Alessa and Sharon is identical to that seen in the game. None of the changes were pointless.
tbonesays
Hope House Careworker

Post by tbonesays »

Patman wrote:^ I think you meant FFVI. Although I understand why fans would bitch about these or those changes at the end of the day you have to step back, forget the games even exist for a second and ask yourself if the movie stands on its own.

Most Disney classics and, say, Blade Runner, Total Recall, The Exorcist, The Shining, The Godfather, Fight Club and Planet of the Apes all twisted their original material, sometimes beyond recognition. I don' t hear anyone moan about those.

The most iconic shot from Planet of the Apes, the one showing a ruined statue of liberty on a beach ? Yeah, not in the book. Originally the narator landed his spaceship in a not-so-destroyed Orly airport (in Paris) and realized the airport was now run by monkeys.
using the Japanese numbers just makes me feel old, that and getting old :lol:

Some adaptations change the core story and some don't. Like LOTR left the ring cycle intact, only retconjugating side characters like Saruman and Denethor. OTOH The Hobbit is clearly a different story using the book as a starting point.

I only know two of your list. Godfather. And I believe Steven King was vocally displeased with Kubrick's changing the main character's mental condition.

But did any of those change the main characters and thus the conflict? I don't know anything as radical as splitting Dahlia into film Dahlia and Christabella.
JKristine35 wrote:The relation between Alessa and Sharon is identical to that seen in the game. None of the changes were pointless.
In the film, adult Alessa is around 40, Sharon is 9, and to the degree Dark Alessa even has an age, she has been around for 30 years. Is that the same as the game?
Patman
Gravedigger

Post by Patman »

tbonesays wrote:But did any of those change the main characters and thus the conflict? I don't know anything as radical as splitting Dahlia into film Dahlia and Christabella.
I' ve only read Planet of the Apes and The Shining myself. PotA did change the hero' s name (and gave him companions). Some of its changes are rather extreme. Despite sharing the same title and some plot points each is its own thing really.

Google tells me Total Recall and Blade Runner did change both the names and the conflicts. And speaking of Stephen King, trust me, The Shining is a marvel of faithfulness compared to Running Man. :lol:

LOTR actually fixed a few plot holes from the book (Faramir wasn' t tempted by the ring and Tom Bombadil was outright immune to it, perfect ring bearer right there had he gave a flying fuck about what was happening).

As for Disney, I stumbled upon this a few weeks ago :

Ironically, it seems this movie itself took a few liberties with the facts. :wink:
Postcode
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Postcode »

[quote="tbonesays"
In the film, adult Alessa is around 40, Sharon is 9, and to the degree Dark Alessa even has an age, she has been around for 30 years. Is that the same as the game?[/quote]
Alessa was 14, Cheryl was 7 and there was no Dark Alessa. I always wondered why there was such a large gap between the burning and the creation of Sharon in the film.
For anyone that might be interested in such things, some links to my music, of the alternative rock kind -
http://postcode.bandcamp.com/
http://soundcloud.com/zebracore
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Postcode/99794277098

And my Post-Rock band Nanaki -
https://nanaki.bandcamp.com