Search FAQ

Login | Register


All times are UTC [ DST ]


It is currently 19 Nov 2017




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message

Rosewater Park Attendant
 Post subject: Positive reactions on Facebook & IMDb
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 18 Apr 2009
Notes left: 1399
The people on the SH:R Facebook page are absolutely loving the movie, some quotes:

Quote:
So, Silent Hill: Revelation was everything I ever wanted for a Silent Hill movie. Heather was perfect! Pyramid Head and the monsters were brilliant. They used the 3D correctly and I was legitimately scared. :3 Thank you, Michael J. Bassett. You did the Silent Hill franchise right!

Quote:
The ending was fucking amazing!

Quote:
Already saw it - excellent movie and highly recommended for the Silent Hill fans!

Quote:
I saw it last night, SOOOO good!

Quote:
the very end was incredible


On top of that, IMDb's average score is currently 7.5.

So another critics vs. moviegoers deal... Okay, this is common with horror movies, VERY common in fact, even the classic horror films were panned, but a lot of the reviewers are talking about the original film positively in the beginning (although most of them you can find negative reviews of the first film from as well).

But it appears audience reaction is good so far, which improves our chances of further movies.

What do you think? Are critics just being unfair on it as they do all horror movies? Are the general audience just too dumb? It seems a real 'love it or hate it' film, certainly.

_________________
Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song, and there's always music in the air.


Top
   
 

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject: Re: Positive reactions on Facebook & IMDb
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 22 Jun 2006
Notes left: 1924
Last seen at: Katz Street
Well, critics mostly just dig into how well the movie was made, which this one was made pretty sloppily. The common folk tend to just go by whether they enjoyed it and/or if it was fun, which the movie is. I wouldn't say they are dumb so much as not part of the nit picky elitists. I normally am very critical to movies, so it's very rare for me to truly enjoy one or even give them a chance anymore. But I enjoyed Revelations while aknowledging all of it's problems.
And i'm not sure how I come off on this forum, but i'm not one to be considered dumb. The movie is truly of the " love it or hate" it type.

_________________
Image
WARNING: Some Parts of Reality May Seem Violent or Cruel.


Top
   
 

Moderator
 Post subject: Re: Positive reactions on Facebook & IMDb
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 21 Jul 2003
Notes left: 11961
Last seen at: Nova Scotia, Canada
DistantJ wrote:

What do you think? Are critics just being unfair on it as they do all horror movies? Are the general audience just too dumb? It seems a real 'love it or hate it' film, certainly.


The second one for sure. There's not much good about this movie.

_________________
Image
"I dreamt last night I saw you
A single spark explosion negotiating with the dead
By the bright lights in some ICU on my chest you put your head
and said "There you are.
There you are.
There's my heart..."


Top
   
 

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject: Re: Positive reactions on Facebook & IMDb
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 22 Jun 2006
Notes left: 1924
Last seen at: Katz Street
Droo wrote:
DistantJ wrote:

What do you think? Are critics just being unfair on it as they do all horror movies? Are the general audience just too dumb? It seems a real 'love it or hate it' film, certainly.


The second one for sure. There's not much good about this movie.

So anyone able to enjoy the movie is just inherently dumb? I don't see entertainment as a basis to judge one's intelligence, not that I think your wholly serious with that statement. Even the smartest people do not need constant mental stimulation from everything they read, watch, or play. Revelations is mindless entertainment, as very flawed as it is, and people don't need to be slow to enjoy it.

_________________
Image
WARNING: Some Parts of Reality May Seem Violent or Cruel.


Top
   
 

Moderator
 Post subject: Re: Positive reactions on Facebook & IMDb
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 21 Jul 2003
Notes left: 11961
Last seen at: Nova Scotia, Canada
I just find it distressing that this is what people are going to think Silent Hill is. It tarnishes the brand.

_________________
Image
"I dreamt last night I saw you
A single spark explosion negotiating with the dead
By the bright lights in some ICU on my chest you put your head
and said "There you are.
There you are.
There's my heart..."


Top
   
 

Just Passing Through
 Post subject: Re: Positive reactions on Facebook & IMDb
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 13 May 2011
Notes left: 53
Last seen at: East Coast, USA
Well, everyone in my theater last night loved it and so did many others according to the FB page. As already mentioned before this movie was even released and after, this movie is just a love it or hate it deal.

_________________
CrypticIdentity wrote:
With the rust and all I can't imagine any of the plumbing in either world is great. OF COURSE, THAT'S WHAT VALTIEL'S BEEN TRYING TO DO THIS WHOLE TIME, with all his valve-turning--TURN ON THE SHOWER. He probably smells rank as hell.


Top
   
 

Moderator
 Post subject: Re: Positive reactions on Facebook & IMDb
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 21 Jul 2003
Notes left: 11961
Last seen at: Nova Scotia, Canada
I'm too indifferent to it to hate it.

_________________
Image
"I dreamt last night I saw you
A single spark explosion negotiating with the dead
By the bright lights in some ICU on my chest you put your head
and said "There you are.
There you are.
There's my heart..."


Top
   
 

Rosewater Park Attendant
 Post subject: Re: Positive reactions on Facebook & IMDb
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 18 Apr 2009
Notes left: 1399
Droo wrote:
I just find it distressing that this is what people are going to think Silent Hill is. It tarnishes the brand.


I actually really liked this post because it's very honest and what I believe a lot of people who dislike an adaptation really think, including myself. I mean ya know, you're the person people know as loving Silent Hill, then they say "I saw that movie, I thought it was terrible, but to each it's own", then you have the "no no wait you don't understand!!" bit, heheh... I totally feel for you on that one.

However, the brand is already different to what it was, it's the nature of any long running horror series in any medium, the first couple may have been critically acclaimed, but once you're a certain number of entries in it's dumbing down and catering to a mass market. You could compare it to Freddy Krueger, going from a very creepy, very original idea, to halloween popcorn fun over the course of the series, with a few 'returns to form' but generally scary entertainment in the style of the classic Universal monster flicks. What people have got to remember is that just because Homecoming/Elm Street 5/Halloween Resurrection exist, doesn't mean that Silent Hill 2/Elm Street 1/Halloween 1 will disappear from existence or memory.

For me, Silent Hill has so many interpretations. Some games are like these wild horror rides whilst others are almost Lynchian psycho dramas, there are so many sides of it, and the first movie had a go at trying to achieve all of them and a lot of people's responses indicated that it had a bit of a 'jack of all trades master of none' effect, I guess this one is going for the SH1/3 "thrill ride" feel.

I still haven't seen the second movie so I can't judge it, I have no idea, but the number of times I've seen such dislike and anger on the net over a movie I was excited about, skipped it at the cinema becuase of it and finally seeing it on DVD and loving it has me still sceptical. I mean it's happened with many of my favourite films in the horror genre, such as Rob Zombie's Halloween films.

EDIT:
Image

I'm dying to see this now, I love a good controversial film.

_________________
Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song, and there's always music in the air.


Top
   
 

Hope House Careworker
 Post subject: Re: Positive reactions on Facebook & IMDb
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 11 Mar 2006
Notes left: 684
Last seen at: The Inferno
Silent Fantasy wrote:
So anyone able to enjoy the movie is just inherently dumb? I don't see entertainment as a basis to judge one's intelligence, not that I think your wholly serious with that statement. Even the smartest people do not need constant mental stimulation from everything they read, watch, or play. Revelations is mindless entertainment, as very flawed as it is, and people don't need to be slow to enjoy it.


I simply don't understand how you can defend this film in that regard. It was an absolute mess. It's as if the filmmakers made certain every single aspect was god-awfully bad. I cringed in my seat, and I was too embarrassed to face my friends afterward. I think I speak on behalf of all ardent SH aficionados when I say, that as fans, we expect a certain level of quality and distinctiveness from other video games(and video game adaptations). Isn't that part of the reason we're members of a SH forum site?

_________________
Are you so impressed with authority that you give respect and credence to all who claim it?

Image


Top
   
 

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject: Re: Positive reactions on Facebook & IMDb
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 22 Jun 2006
Notes left: 1924
Last seen at: Katz Street
We're part of a Silent Hill forum site to talk about Silent Hill and discuss it's mythos, characters, stories, etc. I don't think it has anything to do with everyone having certian profound expectaions from other forms of entertainment or games.
I am not defending the movie and I know it's made horribly, but I, along with many people, enjoyed it. In the end that's honestly the only thing that matters. If by the end of the movie you were able to enjoy it, it doesn't matter if the acting wa bad, if the dialogue was off, if the CG was subpar, or the story was sloppy, because you enjoyed it and had a good time. I can't say if everyone that enjoyed it seen all of these flaws, but I did and was still able to just have fun with it.
The only thing i'm defending is anyone that may be called ignorant or stupid for liking this movie because it isn't a peice of art or made to normal Hollywood expecations. I know it's crap by those standards. I can easily understand anyone hating the film though, but it has no bearing on the level of intelligence someone has if they liked it for any reason. That was my main point.

_________________
Image
WARNING: Some Parts of Reality May Seem Violent or Cruel.


Top
   
 

SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber
 Post subject: Re: Positive reactions on Facebook & IMDb

Missing since: 26 Apr 2009
Notes left: 3219
Facebook and IMDb are as trustworthy a source for movie reactions as Metacritic's user reviews are for game reactions. You might as well be getting your reviews of everything from youtube comments. Time will tell how the overall audience views this movie.

But if you are seriously asking if the common mainstream movie-goer is stupid let me ask you something... why is the Transformers series one of the highest-grossing film series of all time? I think I rest my case.

And regardless, I agree with Droo's sentiment of worrying about people thinking THIS is what Silent Hill is like. But I had that problem with the first movie too. I remember trying to explain Silent Hill 2 to people in High School and having people go "oh, that movie where that guy rips that chick's skin off? wicked". SIGH.


Top
   
 

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject: Re: Positive reactions on Facebook & IMDb
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 22 Jun 2006
Notes left: 1924
Last seen at: Katz Street
The Transformers movies are horrible, but it doesn't make you (not you specifically) any more intelligent for seeing it as a shallow Micheal Bay movie.
And i'v gotten the same reactions when trying to talk about Silent Hill with people, but it's just that they knew nothing of the game or didn't care. That was the part of the movie that stuck out to them. I'm not trying to deny that many people don't care to look further into movies or games, but that doesn't make them idiots. The attitude of people that claim as much just makes them come off as elitist.

_________________
Image
WARNING: Some Parts of Reality May Seem Violent or Cruel.


Top
   
 

Moderator
 Post subject: Re: Positive reactions on Facebook & IMDb
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 21 Jul 2003
Notes left: 11961
Last seen at: Nova Scotia, Canada
NanayaShiki wrote:

And regardless, I agree with Droo's sentiment of worrying about people thinking THIS is what Silent Hill is like. But I had that problem with the first movie too. I remember trying to explain Silent Hill 2 to people in High School and having people go "oh, that movie where that guy rips that chick's skin off? wicked". SIGH.


Well, it's not like the games are strangers to aberrant violence. Alessa's immolation, Pyramid Head and the mannequins, Claudia's fetus eating, Walter's extremely violent murders in 4, Adam's bisecting, etc.

_________________
Image
"I dreamt last night I saw you
A single spark explosion negotiating with the dead
By the bright lights in some ICU on my chest you put your head
and said "There you are.
There you are.
There's my heart..."


Top
   
 

Rosewater Park Attendant
 Post subject: Re: Positive reactions on Facebook & IMDb
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 18 Apr 2009
Notes left: 1399
Droo is exactly right there. People act like the games never had a bit of blood in them. They're incredibly disturbing and graphic in parts. We compare EVERYTHING to SH2 and judge everything with 'Silent Hill' in the title against it and yet it's still the black sheep of the series (aside from Shattered Memories). I honestly think the first movie is a good representation of the series overall, just not of what we make it into with SH2. SH1, 3 and 4 had some downright terrible dialogue throughout (and even 2 had its moments) and the stories of 1, 3 and 4 are hardly high art (3 having the strongest storytelling of those titles IMO).

NanayaShiki wrote:
why is the Transformers series one of the highest-grossing film series of all time?

Because it's damn fun.

_________________
Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song, and there's always music in the air.


Top
   
 

Subway Guard
 Post subject: Re: Positive reactions on Facebook & IMDb
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 20 Jul 2004
Notes left: 1538
Last seen at: VA
I'm glad the film's receiving positive feedback, however it's still a bad film. it's pacing, dialogue, effects, and cheesy jump scares really put me off. I mean, all i could think of during some scenes was "how did this make it in the film?" i pretty much wished Heather had never even gone to the Mall, as i cringed on just about everything during her time there.

I'd go on, but i feel as if i'd just be bashing the film. the ending had a nice nod to a couple of games, but i doubt i'll even pick this film up on blu ray unless it comes with a director's cut.


Top
   
 

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject: Re: Positive reactions on Facebook & IMDb
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 12 Oct 2009
Notes left: 2523
DistantJ wrote:
Droo is exactly right there. People act like the games never had a bit of blood in them. They're incredibly disturbing and graphic in parts. We compare EVERYTHING to SH2 and judge everything with 'Silent Hill' in the title against it and yet it's still the black sheep of the series (aside from Shattered Memories). I honestly think the first movie is a good representation of the series overall, just not of what we make it into with SH2. SH1, 3 and 4 had some downright terrible dialogue throughout (and even 2 had its moments) and the stories of 1, 3 and 4 are hardly high art (3 having the strongest storytelling of those titles IMO).

NanayaShiki wrote:
why is the Transformers series one of the highest-grossing film series of all time?

Because it's damn fun.



Off-topic, but I really wish the fanbase could get the hell over SH2. It's a fan darling. We get it. Let's let the series grow and evolve and try new things (even if they don't always work!) rather than continually try to replicate SH2.

_________________
Image
Beyond the Joystick - game reviews, plot recaps, and more
http://beyond-the-joystick.blogspot.com - Also on Tumblr!


Top
   
 

Moderator
 Post subject: Re: Positive reactions on Facebook & IMDb
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 21 Jul 2003
Notes left: 11961
Last seen at: Nova Scotia, Canada
I'd like to see them replicate something along the lines of SH4. That game was so metaphysical and bizarre. It made me feel completely disoriented and unsettled for basically the entire time.

_________________
Image
"I dreamt last night I saw you
A single spark explosion negotiating with the dead
By the bright lights in some ICU on my chest you put your head
and said "There you are.
There you are.
There's my heart..."


Top
   
 

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject: Re: Positive reactions on Facebook & IMDb
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 19 Jul 2007
Notes left: 5077
DistantJ wrote:
NanayaShiki wrote:
why is the Transformers series one of the highest-grossing film series of all time?

Because it's damn fun.

Genius in simplicity.

_________________
Image


Top
   
 

Hope House Careworker
 Post subject: Re: Positive reactions on Facebook & IMDb
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 11 Mar 2006
Notes left: 684
Last seen at: The Inferno
Silent Fantasy wrote:
We're part of a Silent Hill forum site to talk about Silent Hill and discuss it's mythos, characters, stories, etc. I don't think it has anything to do with everyone having certian profound expectaions from other forms of entertainment or games.
I am not defending the movie and I know it's made horribly, but I, along with many people, enjoyed it. In the end that's honestly the only thing that matters. If by the end of the movie you were able to enjoy it, it doesn't matter if the acting wa bad, if the dialogue was off, if the CG was subpar, or the story was sloppy, because you enjoyed it and had a good time. I can't say if everyone that enjoyed it seen all of these flaws, but I did and was still able to just have fun with it.
The only thing i'm defending is anyone that may be called ignorant or stupid for liking this movie because it isn't a peice of art or made to normal Hollywood expecations. I know it's crap by those standards. I can easily understand anyone hating the film though, but it has no bearing on the level of intelligence someone has if they liked it for any reason. That was my main point.


I'm assuming that if an individual chooses to affiliate him/herself with any sort of congregation or following, and actively participate in discussions or arguments for an extended period of time, then they must be profoundly affected by it; or at the very least, greatly impressed. To expand, I think it has a lot to do with it, however, you can accept to take that on conjecture, if you'd like.

You may have had a good time, but I, on the other hand, couldn't help but dwell on how disappointing it was, and the what-might-have-beens. Whether we choose to accept it or not, contemporary society is deteriorating, and has become riddled with intellectually inept individuals with short attention spans; concurrently, mainstream media and its partners will present us with cinematic trash, If we continue to remain appeased. In all honesty, we can't afford to say, "In the end, the only that matters is that you had a good time. "

_________________
Are you so impressed with authority that you give respect and credence to all who claim it?

Image


Top
   
 

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject: Re: Positive reactions on Facebook & IMDb
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 22 Jun 2006
Notes left: 1924
Last seen at: Katz Street
I disagree. Do you honestly believe that it is just now that society is plagued by intellectually inept people? That has always been the case. And when it comes to entertainment, all that matters is that you had a good time or enjoyed it. That is literally what it was made for. I won't argue against your opinion of the movie itself, because I can understand someone hating the movie.
As for remaining appeased, the people that are willing to try anything to send a message strong enough to make the movie industry realize we need more than mindless entertainment are far out numbered by the millions that do not care. So it is pointless to bother, and if it is truly that much of a burden on someone than they just need to forget about seeing these movies and stick to whatever it is they may find stimulating.

_________________
Image
WARNING: Some Parts of Reality May Seem Violent or Cruel.


Top
   
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: