The future of Silent Hill films?

Discuss the latest about the second Silent Hill Movie

Moderator: Moderators

teosoleil
My Bestsellers Clerk

The future of Silent Hill films?

Post by teosoleil »

IMO, this movie is one of the worst I've seen this year. Already 8% on Rotten Tomatoes? That's almost inexcusable. I'd hate to think of SHR in the same league as The Last Airbender, but unfortunately, it is.

Anyways, after this, where do you think the future of Silent Hill films lie? Should Bassett be given more chances to direct more films? How about Gans? What do you think the next movie will be about? Is there hope for a new (and hopefully better movie) after this?

What do you think?
Droo

Re: The future of Silent Hill films?

Post by Droo »

In retrospect I have decided to reopen this. Please keep reviews for Revelation to the reviews thread and simply discuss what you would like for future SH films in this topic.
"Oh yeah, I've been here before
I can see it with eyes closed
Shadows that look like blood
Dead as far as the mind goes
Fear that comes from my head
Lives in the mirror"
SilentWren
Historical Society Historian

Post by SilentWren »

Assuming there even is a third movie:
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
I don't want a major aspect of the next plot to be Chris/Harry searching for Rose. Cool in moderation, but don't give it too much importance.

Also....what the pluck is the nature of the otherworld now? Is it it's own wilderness, or would Heather still be the boss if she came back? Tha fuck?
The above user visits this forum *very infrequently.* If you need any type of response or answer from her, she may or may not be able to provide it in a timely manner.

Thank you for understanding. <3

http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.ph ... 28#p674128
resevil80
Just Passing Through

Post by resevil80 »

I would like a totally new story based in Silent Hill....No games to be a slave too...Just the mythology...let whoever directs and writes it be the main creative force behind the movie....And I think Bassett would nail an original....Although I wouldn't mind having Gans on board in some capacity...
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

I would love to have a completely new story that combines psychologically-based monsters rooted in symbolism with fun, popcorn-going script and cinematography that's solid.
PoemOfTheLastMoment
Gravedigger

Post by PoemOfTheLastMoment »

This movie may have killed off the franchise completely.
Now I Know, The Real Reason Why I Came To This Town....I Wonder....What Was I Afraid Of? Without You..I've Got Nothing...Now, We Can Be Together Again.....Mary.....
Droo

Post by Droo »

PoemOfTheLastMoment wrote:This movie may have killed off the franchise completely.
You mean the movie franchise or the entire franchise?
Lives in the mirror"
Agent of God
Subway Guard

Post by Agent of God »

Droo wrote:
PoemOfTheLastMoment wrote:This movie may have killed off the franchise completely.
You mean the movie franchise or the entire franchise?
That will depend on how future games will be treated.
The first movie affected the SH games that came after it. Maybe this movie will do the same.
We are still here...
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

Bassett needs to be kept away from the franchise at all costs. Bring back Gans, make sure whoever he hires for dialogue is better than Avary, and do an original story. I think a plan like that would work wonders. Also, no Heather/Alessa/Order, beyond a casual mention.
NanayaShiki
SHH Cult & SHHF Moderator
SHH Cult & SHHF Moderator

Post by NanayaShiki »

I don't want Gans or Bassett, I want someone new. Someone who would be able to do a more subtle and meaningful movie than the two we have already gotten. As I mentioned in my "review" of the movie in the other thread, I think Bassett was really trying to open this "movie universe" up to allow more stories similar to how the games do them. If there is going to be a third movie, I want a completely original plot for it, one that doesn't have to worry about getting the plot and characters right, just the tone, horror, and original story. That way it can focus on being an actually good movie.
teosoleil
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by teosoleil »

Does anyone else think that it may be quite a while until we get a third film? It seems like this one was met with very low critical response. Not sure about the sales, though, since the box office sales correspond to a sequel or not.

Even though Revelation was, in my opinion, a horrible mess, it did open up the film universe of Silent Hill. The message that everybody has a personal Silent Hill was clear if you paid attention (unlike other horrible plot points in the movie). I for one am hoping for an original addition not related to any of the games. That, as stated by NanayaShiki, can allow it to be a good movie instead of trying to be a good adaptation or sequel.
KingCrimson
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by KingCrimson »

I disagree with the idea that future Silent Hill films could be improved by having an original plot, not based on any of the games. In my opinion, the problem with the films is not that they tried to stay too close to the source material; Revelation is only superficially similar to Silent Hill 3 in story. The people have familiar names, a few of their actions are connected in corresponding ways, and some of their clothes look the same. Otherwise, there's basically no resemblance when you really think about it. For every character, whatever made them distinctive, influential, or gave them a motivation for their choices was completely changed in Revelation.

Think about the comics, the graphic novels, the games, the movies, and forget about which is canon for a second. Do any more stories related to Silent Hill really need to be told? At this point, each new installment in the mythos just makes the town more crowded and both less mysterious and less believable. Gradually the impact of the setting gets diluted, until the imagery that used to be striking and bizarre becomes contrived. And boring. At least with a good adaptation, the viewer is able to relive an experience they have come to love, with the novelty of a different medium.
alone in the town

Post by alone in the town »

Think about the comics, the graphic novels, the games, the movies, and forget about which is canon for a second. Do any more stories related to Silent Hill really need to be told? At this point, each new installment in the mythos just makes the town more crowded and both less mysterious and less believable.
I think the biggest mistake the series has made is trying hard to focus on the mythos of a single, small area. The town's 'history' is nothing more than a pastiche of bad things, and a hundred other small town horror stories have done it all before.

What makes Silent Hill unique is not the town or its background. It is the Otherworld and its properties. We have a virtually limitless canvas upon which anyone can create a reality tailored to their own mental state. What can't you do with this?

Yet, it seems like a lot of fans care more about the town, its insipid religion, and its boring history. Fuck the town, and fuck the canon which derives largely from the town. Let's focus on the Otherworld and all the possibilities it affords.
teosoleil
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by teosoleil »

Very interesting points. In reflection, I agree with the two above, especially with the whole corny mythos of Silent Hill (which was corny from the start--even Movie-Vincent makes a joke about it in the movie) gets dull with every addition. What made games like SH2 and SHSM so fresh were their innovative and extremely creative uses with the psychological-reflection aspect the town has. I think that should be the main focus from now on.
Droo

Post by Droo »

I love the town. I don't care about the cult, but the location is what compels me the most about the series. I wouldn't want to see the town erased from the proceedings (although I do love The Room). I would rather see more things like Shattered Memories, which moves away from strict adherence to the layout of the town.

Perhaps an approach like the Bond movies would be appropriate. Recurring elements without any strict devotion to continuity.
Lives in the mirror"
DistantJ
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DistantJ »

KingCrimson wrote:Think about the comics, the graphic novels, the games, the movies, and forget about which is canon for a second. Do any more stories related to Silent Hill really need to be told? At this point, each new installment in the mythos just makes the town more crowded and both less mysterious and less believable.
Well yeah, but all these things haven't happened in the movie universe yet, so it's not crowded really. And based on the native American stuff Past Life and Downpour added, it wouldn't be particularly farfetched to have the town work it's dark magic on hundreds of people throughout time.

I always thought of Silent Hill as a town like Twin Peaks - the Otherworld or Black Lodge could stretch out however far you want it to, but Silent Hill/Twin Peaks is the gateway to it. In my mind that's why Rose and Sharon are still in the fog world even though they're all the way back home.

What makes Tom Waltz' Silent Hill so damn glorious to me is the fact that he understands the mythos and what it's all about, but he goes his own way with it. He gets the idea, but he builds upon it in his own way, adding a sort of film noir feel to it (particularly Sinner's Reward and Downpour) rather than just trying to retread the same ground. I think he realises that just because you understand the long running mythology you've been given control of doesn't mean you have to be overly conservative with it. A new movie could go really balls out with Silent Hill, experiment with what works better in a linear medium, in a medium where you're a spectator, rather than trying to 'retell' an interactive story in a non-interactive medium. My favourite part of the first movie was the 'Carrie' sequence at the end, with all the barbed wire and stuff. It's something that just couldn't have worked in a game and it's morally ambiguous because you almost WANT the carnage to be happening. It's just that little bit above and beyond what the usual black-and-white, good-versus-evil 'final battle' in a film tends to be, I guess kind of like the way you had to fight Mary in SH2 despite knowing what you'd already done, Stuff like that is what made me fall in love with Silent Hill.
Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song, and there's always music in the air.
KiramidHead

Post by KiramidHead »

If they make another movie they should let Tom Waltz write it. Just sayin'.
Twitch_Moan
Just Passing Through

Post by Twitch_Moan »

Tyler Perry's Silent Hill.
silenthell88
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by silenthell88 »

They seem to be trying to copy the Resident Evil approach with the films & prob new games won't be much better. It was a bad thing when this franchise got too mainstream. I hope they never make another movie.
KoRn_Child
Just Passing Through

Post by KoRn_Child »

Please, no more films.
How can I be lost if I've got nowhere to go?