The future of Silent Hill films?

Discuss the latest about the second Silent Hill Movie

Moderator: Moderators

Patchwork_Heaven
Just Passing Through

Re: The future of Silent Hill films?

Post by Patchwork_Heaven »

Who knows if this has been mentioned already but, as for a future Silent Hill film, I think it would be really cool if they actually adapted those fan videos for SH: No Escape. Imagine: the entire film is the man with the female psychiatrist. Every time he withdraws, or goes under, it cuts to him in his Silent Hill. He never stops and thinks "how did I get here?" or "what happened to the psychiatrist?" He just goes through the town, like the fan videos. It would be very interesting figuring out what is wrong with him, his backstory, and seeing his demons. And does anyone remember that part in the operating room, when he is watching the man get mutilated on the tv monitor? That was super creepy.

I know this will never happen, but I thought it was a very easy way to make a good SH, with a low budget.
AuraTwilight
Historical Society Historian

Post by AuraTwilight »

My only problem is that No Escape had an extremely shitty twist and really shallow symbolism.

And, you know, anyone who'd be interested in an adaptation has already seen it.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
tbonesays
Hope House Careworker

Post by tbonesays »

Theory: Basset cut the scenes of Heather discovering Rose and added the outlier of Chris turning back into town because he envisions a 3rd film based on the SH2 game. SIAP, I DRTET.
Silent Fantasy

Post by Silent Fantasy »

I couldn't handle No Escape. I know it doesn't have abudget, but I couldn't stomach the graphic style. It was pretty ugly to me, and the constant random stuttering and pop ups just made it a headache to watch. It's a nic eattempt, but it is just a mess visually and editing wise. I'm not so sure about the story sense it was also pretty boring and never caught my interest. So no, I wouldn't want an adaptation of it.
Theory: Basset cut the scenes of Heather discovering Rose and added the outlier of Chris turning back into town because he envisions a 3rd film based on the SH2 game. SIAP, I DRTET.
Maybe, but he has stated that he doesn't know if he'll even make another movie, and that if he did that he would want to make his own original story.
WARNING: Some Parts of Reality May Seem Violent or Cruel.
DistantJ
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DistantJ »

The scene with Rose... If it fits in the film where I think it does, I can totally see why they removed it, cause they went from exposition with Vincent to exposition with Dahila and then it'd go to even more exposition, it'd be ridiculous, too much to take in at once.
Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song, and there's always music in the air.
Droo

Post by Droo »

Silent Fantasy wrote:
Maybe, but he has stated that he doesn't know if he'll even make another movie, and that if he did that he would want to make his own original story.
Praise be to God, for He is merciful and loving.
"Oh yeah, I've been here before
I can see it with eyes closed
Shadows that look like blood
Dead as far as the mind goes
Fear that comes from my head
Lives in the mirror"
Silent Fantasy

Post by Silent Fantasy »

Droo wrote:
Silent Fantasy wrote:
Praise be to God, for He is merciful and loving.
I take it the film wasn't to your standards? lol :P
WARNING: Some Parts of Reality May Seem Violent or Cruel.
alone in the town

Post by alone in the town »

Perhaps it's because Droo, like myself, really dislikes Silent Hill 3 and thought it was the worst game to use as a template for a movie?
Rev
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Rev »

AuraTwilight wrote:My only problem is that No Escape had an extremely shitty twist and really shallow symbolism.

And, you know, anyone who'd be interested in an adaptation has already seen it.
I really liked No Escape when I first watched it years ago. Having re-watched it fairly recently, I do have to agree with you there. I don't mind the graphics and the visuals are pretty neat for a one-guy project. But I find Michael to be a closed-minded insufferable prick of a protagonist with a derivative plot twist. So yeah, no, I wouldn't want a movie about him, either.

Someone can do a similar concept like that, but definitely make it better.
Droo

Post by Droo »

Ryantology wrote:Perhaps it's because Droo, like myself, really dislikes Silent Hill 3 and thought it was the worst game to use as a template for a movie?
I do dislike SH3 (although I dislike Origins more), but that's not it. SH3 is the SH game that had the best potential to translate pretty smoothly to a <2 hour horror film for the mainstream.

Somehow, Basset found a way to fuck up the most obvious, simple SH of all.
"Oh yeah, I've been here before
I can see it with eyes closed
Shadows that look like blood
Dead as far as the mind goes
Fear that comes from my head
Lives in the mirror"
wonder's boy
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by wonder's boy »

Droo wrote: Somehow, Basset found a way to fuck up the most obvious, simple SH of all.
I feel that the plot of Revelation was so straightforward and obvious that any mystery inserted by Bassett and Co. really warped it into a state of limbo. Despite the film being beautiful and fun to watch, what needed to make sense the most ended up making the least sense.

Honestly, SH3 was one I enjoyed quite a bit. And while I agree that not liking SH3 may contribute to not liking Revelation, I feel there's just too many bad choices that were made with Revelation to really put too much on not liking the movie because one didn't like the game it was inspired by. Namely - how the two films are connected, lack of character and story development, and the not even half-hearted attempt at creating a believable, relatable and respectable antagonistic force that viewers should care about.

Anyway, I guess my biggest gripes are not that they chose the wrong game to base the sequel on. It could've worked if they hadn't tried to be so ambitious in all the wrong ways.
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
Regarding the future of Silent Hill films - I wouldn't mind them continuing the story with Chris and Rose à la SH2. It'd probably make a better movie than Revelation if they didn't try to straddle both the film and game worlds like Revelation did. But I really wish they'd just go in a different direction entirely and let someone come up with an original story. There're just too many damn places they could go to not take advantage of something new.
Music created by the fans, for the fans. . . . . . . . . . . . . . Vol. 1 | Vol. 2 | Vol. 3
DistantJ
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DistantJ »

"Bassett did this Bassett did that" I'm sure if there are serious problems here there's more involvement than just the writer director. Deathwatch is one of the most awesome films (in my opinion), the guy clearly knows what he....

Ah I can't even be bothered anymore
Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song, and there's always music in the air.
wonder's boy
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by wonder's boy »

To be fair, Bassett did write the script, didn't he? And directed it, so...

Anyway. Sorry if the dislike of Revelation is getting you down, DJ. It was a bummer to see such of a negative reception for a film I had high hopes for. But I can set that aside and focus on my own experience of it, I guess.

And while writing and directing are two major parts to a film, it's certainly true to say there's more to turn to than just Bassett. "Bassett and Co."

Deathwatch is a very good film. Having seen it before Revelation, I definitely expected more from Bassett's chance at Silent Hill. What we did get was decent and beautiful, but I just don't feel that the creators played all their cards right.
Music created by the fans, for the fans. . . . . . . . . . . . . . Vol. 1 | Vol. 2 | Vol. 3
tbonesays
Hope House Careworker

Post by tbonesays »

Bassett is listed as the writer and director. It looks like the producers had the last word, so Hadida might be a more appropriate scapegoat.
mikefile
Gravedigger

Post by mikefile »

After watching Revelation, the first thing I did was examine Bassett's interviews. As a result, I came to the conclusion that there is no possible excuse that could bail out Michael J. Bassett for his film's shortcomings.

It is required to keep in mind that if anyone's about to condemn, I quote: 'Bassett & Co.', the 'Bassett' part is a big fat greecy ingredient for the movie's recipe as much as the Co.
RinoTheBouncer
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by RinoTheBouncer »

I guess we need to leave Alessa alone already.

I know the games have started with Alessa and took us on a journey of her story through 3 games plus Shattered Memories (Cheryl) but, the story itself has been milked way too much that there's nothing more to extract from it.

We need a brand new story, something about Silent Hill but a totally new story. There are a lot of films that feel more like Silent Hill more than Silent Hill films and games do these days and those films don't even have anything to do with the SH franchise, games or movies.

Michael J. Bassett should leave the franchise alone and get someone experienced who has both the name and the potential to make a successful film, plus a good, well-known cast of actors that will draw more attention and interest to the film. Let's include new subjects in the franchise like homosexuality (men rather than women because lesbians are usually used to make the film look 'hot' to straight men and we don't need an element that will sound like a desperate attempts to grab attention of straight young boys, instead of a firm story).

If we're to use a story from one of the games, let's use those which fans commented "I wish it was this, I wish it was that" so that the changes in the story will be justifiable and more enjoyable rather than ruining a story that we loved and appreciated throughout the years. Silent Hill 4: The Room and Silent Hill: Homecoming would make a perfect movie. They can change some elements that will only make the story look and feel better and stronger. I'm not with using SH2 plot because the twist is already known so there's nothing to be excited about or surprised by.

What the movies really need is a powerful story and a film that is long enough to make us feel full after we watch it rather than entertaining us with a few 3D effects and characters that look like the video games characters and carry the same names but with totally different personality, backstory and fate.

I do dislike SH3 (although I dislike Origins more), but that's not it. SH3 is the SH game that had the best potential to translate pretty smoothly to a <2 hour horror film for the mainstream.

Somehow, Basset found a way to fuck up the most obvious, simple SH of all.
Perfectly said!
It was such a simple story that links and connects easily with the first film but was given to the wrong hands. Bassett made a very short film that had nothing more to offer than a characters with similar names and outfits to the games. I don't see why Douglas' role ended so fast, Claudia appeared for a very short, brief time near the end of the film.

It's one of the films where you watch and say "Okay, this and that happened by why?". A lot of things felt like pieces of puzzle being forced into a pattern they don't match with. I did love how the end referred to SH2 too though.
Twitter: @RinoTheBouncer | www.rinothebouncer.com | Instagram: @RinoTheBouncer
Leo Ho Tep
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Leo Ho Tep »

I do hope they won't use the order in the next movies. We need something fresher, more psychological, more personnal.
tbonesays
Hope House Careworker

Post by tbonesays »

Leo Ho Tep wrote:I do hope they won't use the order in the next movies. We need something fresher, more psychological, more personnal.
We'll get something with blades, babes, and blood in 3D.
Skele
Subway Guard

Post by Skele »

While it's true that SH3's story is pretty simple, you have to keep in mind that Gans changed a number of things up with the first film, so MJB had to change things up a bit for the sequel... I've read that MJB isn't that great at writing to begin with, so it's not that shocking that what we got was somewhat confusing, and a mess. Anyway, i don't think MJB is a shit director, he just happened to make a mediocre SH film.

As far as the future of SH films, i hope any future film is based on an original story, but i hope we can get a highly respectable director to make the film. no more films based on games... It'd be nice to go into a SH film not knowing what to expect.
Sith_Dreamer
Just Passing Through

Post by Sith_Dreamer »

mikefile wrote:After watching Revelation, the first thing I did was examine Bassett's interviews. As a result, I came to the conclusion that there is no possible excuse that could bail out Michael J. Bassett for his film's shortcomings.

It is required to keep in mind that if anyone's about to condemn, I quote: 'Bassett & Co.', the 'Bassett' part is a big fat greecy ingredient for the movie's recipe as much as the Co.
Pretty much agree here. Even regarding executive meddling, Bassett was constantly taking to twitter or other sites and posting things that sounded really great to fans. So it really did come to light on how much he was talking out his ass.

Pretty sure I've posted in here already, but I'm thinking at this point, SH is either dead in the cinema, or they will try to mov eit to a DTV format. DTV is not always a bad thing, but with such low budgets and generally lesser actors, I'd bet the films would never churn out a decent sequel the fans would enjoy. Case in point, the Hellraiser series after the fourth film.
"Once More the Sith Shall Rule the Galaxy!"- Palpatine
"Welcome to My Nightmare!"- Freddy Krueger