Revelation Not Being Screened For Critics

Discuss the latest about the second Silent Hill Movie

Moderator: Moderators

Droo

Revelation Not Being Screened For Critics

Post by Droo »

If Bloody-Disgusting is to be believed, Revelation is apparently not being screened for critics.

http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/31985 ... us-return/

There's no official source linked to in the article to confirm this, but if it's true, it doesn't bode well for Open Road's confidence about the quality of the film.
"Oh yeah, I've been here before
I can see it with eyes closed
Shadows that look like blood
Dead as far as the mind goes
Fear that comes from my head
Lives in the mirror"
Number 7
Brookhaven Receptionist

Re: Revelation Not Being Screened For Critics

Post by Number 7 »

The first one wasn't either. My expectations for this are not that high so this is not surprising.
"He's underground now. His new name is Number Seven."
Aerith Gainsborough
Historical Society Historian

Post by Aerith Gainsborough »

I actually feel pretty well for this film, which surprises me that they would not screen this for critics. This doesn't make me feel very good anymore...
I'm rarely on the forums anymore. Click here for ways to reach me.
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

They didn't screen the first one for critics either, so I couldn't care less if they don't do it for Revelation.
KingCrimson
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by KingCrimson »

Well, yeah, they didn't screen the first one, but a lot of people were hoping the sequel would be a lot better. A more compelling narrative, better script, and less direct exposition would have made the first movie more palatable to critics and fans alike. I'll withhold my judgement until I see the finished product of course. It's just sort of a "if you've got nothing to hide" thing.
Droo

Post by Droo »

I've never understood the reasoning behind not screening things for critics. It sends a very powerful message that the movie might suck, and critics are still going to weigh in with negative reviews once it's out. What's the point?
"Oh yeah, I've been here before
I can see it with eyes closed
Shadows that look like blood
Dead as far as the mind goes
Fear that comes from my head
Lives in the mirror"
Silent Fantasy

Post by Silent Fantasy »

Silent Hill distributers hate movie critics appearently.
WARNING: Some Parts of Reality May Seem Violent or Cruel.
Klimat
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Klimat »

Nah, this affects my opinion on the movie not.
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

It doesn't surprise me at all. Whether or not the film is good, it probably isn't going to appeal to everyone. However, according to TV Tropes, many horror films do not get prescreenings for critics.
alone in the town

Post by alone in the town »

Eh. People actually think 'movie critic' isn't the most worthless job ever.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

...Who cares?

Some of the biggest horror movies ever never got screened for critics. Like the original Nightmare on Elm Street.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
KiramidHead

Post by KiramidHead »

Eh, no matter how good SHR turns out to be, most critics will probably dismiss it because it's based on a video game.
Silent Fantasy

Post by Silent Fantasy »

It seems to just scare some people, like the distributers are trying to hide something for another short period of time.
The same discussions that rose before the 1st movie's release will rise again it seems. Movie critics are useless, so this really shouldn't matter either way.
WARNING: Some Parts of Reality May Seem Violent or Cruel.
jdnation

Post by jdnation »

Horror movies by and large don't get pre-screenings for critics. Mostly because many of them are made on small budgets to begin with, and also such screenings involve additional expense to organize. And usually that's just when you're sure the early reviews will help boost interest in your film. Horror movies don't get many good reviews based on their strightforward nature. Thereisn't much art-house horror stuff being made that'll impress critics who demand more. So there's no point going through the expense if you feel many critics will just pan your film because it's not high brow enough for their tastes.

Open Road may be quite confident that their film will be a hit with their target audience, but not necessarily the critics. So I wouldn't look into this too muhc. Were Silent Hill Revelation a bigger event film then understandably it'd be weird if it wasn't getting a screening for critics.

Either way it could still be likely the film could screen somewhere earlier, like some film fest, and that we'll get reviews from those who attended there. But I'm not waiting on reviews to convince me. I've already made up my mind to see it. Still, good reviews certainly would help the excitement!
wonder's boy
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by wonder's boy »

AuraTwilight wrote:...Who cares?
Thank you. Fuck "critics".
Music created by the fans, for the fans. . . . . . . . . . . . . . Vol. 1 | Vol. 2 | Vol. 3
ginjajacob
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Post by ginjajacob »

Cant believe anyone is surprised, it will be crap. In recent years, most horror films aren't screened for critics anyway, wasn't this film made over a year ago but they couldn't get distribution until recently. I can't believe many of you don't see it coming, using the 3D gimic, turning vincent into a love interest and plastering pyramid head everywhere, releasing it at halloween to try and put it in the top 10 box office for a week. If this film was any good, it would have found distribution long ago
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

wasn't this film made over a year ago but they couldn't get distribution until recently.
Incorrect. Nice to see you're just blatantly lying in order to badmouth the movie. That's totally mature.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

ginjajacob wrote:Cant believe anyone is surprised, it will be crap. In recent years, most horror films aren't screened for critics anyway, wasn't this film made over a year ago but they couldn't get distribution until recently. I can't believe many of you don't see it coming, using the 3D gimic, turning vincent into a love interest and plastering pyramid head everywhere, releasing it at halloween to try and put it in the top 10 box office for a week. If this film was any good, it would have found distribution long ago
Cabin in the Woods took at least two years to be distributed, and it has a 91% on RottenTomatoes. No.

Furthermore, while critics at large are useless as a barometer of how good films are--there are films I enjoy that others pan, for instance--finding critics who have similar movie taste to yourself can help you gauge if you'll like a particular film or not.
wonder's boy
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by wonder's boy »

Yuki wrote: Cabin in the Woods took at least two years to be distributed, and it has a 91% on RottenTomatoes. No.
And that movie was stellar. :) I like how RottenTomatoes has the "audience" response rating and the reviewer's response.
wonder's boy wrote: Fuck "critics".
Woah, what happened? I must've not had my coffee. :?
Music created by the fans, for the fans. . . . . . . . . . . . . . Vol. 1 | Vol. 2 | Vol. 3
FrankRD
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by FrankRD »

I have a gut feeling this film would've been dismissed by them anyway.

And people saying this should've been screened if it was actually better than the first one: that relies on whether or not I agree with the negative reception the first one got, which I don't. So I honestly can't expect good of or take into consideration what would've been said had the film been screened for them, anyway.