So Anyone Else feel like Bassett....

Discuss the latest about the second Silent Hill Movie

Moderator: Moderators

DistantJ
Rosewater Park Attendant

Re: So Anyone Else feel like Bassett....

Post by DistantJ »

Well there's also the whole thing about a mother gaining the strength of ten men when their child is involved etc. I don't buy the "irrational whim" thing (at least not in those words anyway) but I would buy that a mother would be more willing to take drastic measures such as speeding away from a cop for her child's wellbeing.
Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song, and there's always music in the air.
Leo Ho Tep
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Leo Ho Tep »

I don't think Gans insulted anybody when he said that....

Regardless, it was probably easier to relate to Rose's sheer panic because she was a woman. Imagine the same scene with Sean Bean. would it be as effective? Maybe, but some people wouldn't find it as credible imo.

anyway, I'm never waiting for an exact adaptation. Gans movie respect the source material while being visually stunning, and offering a great insight of how horrible Alessa's story is, and how the world of silent Hill is frightening, without making it a simple jumpscare movie.
Droo

Post by Droo »

Silent Fantasy wrote:Cybil's fate is never mentioned in any game after SH1.
Homecoming.
"Oh yeah, I've been here before
I can see it with eyes closed
Shadows that look like blood
Dead as far as the mind goes
Fear that comes from my head
Lives in the mirror"
Silent Fantasy
Historical Society Historian

Post by Silent Fantasy »

Droo wrote:
Silent Fantasy wrote:Cybil's fate is never mentioned in any game after SH1.
Homecoming.
I'm guessing you mean Wheeler mentioning she was never heard from again. That hardly qualifies to me. That's not very concrete and stays pretty open. I didn't mean she was literally never mentioned, just that what happened to her after the events of SH1 is still very open, even if I don't believe the Good+ ending is canon myself.
WARNING: Some Parts of Reality May Seem Violent or Cruel.
The Demon
Just Passing Through

Post by The Demon »

Although Bassett was limited by time, budget and producer's desires with this film, I have no doubt Gans and Avery could've done a much better film with the same materials than he did. I think they had a much better grasp of the games and their atmosphere, and overall have more talent in filmmaking and writing. Although the story of the first Silent Hill film was divergent from that of the games, Avery and Gans REALLY knew their story well, even elements that were subtle or unexplored in the first film. There are a couple instances I can think of where Gans talked about how if he did the second film, more would be explained and revealed about (his) Silent Hill.
born2kill
Just Passing Through

Post by born2kill »

Kenji wrote:
teosoleil wrote:You're ignoring the fact that Harry was changed to Rose because of Harry's very feminine characteristics as a person,
I'm still somewhat mystified by this assertion, and have been ever since Gans said it. What part of Harry's attitude or actions were feminine? Was it that he gave a shit about his daughter?

I understood the reason for the change was because the lead character spends much of the time running around alone. And the filmmakers wanted to have frequent reactions of panic, terror, and worry to keep the audiences engaged since theres no dialogue. And its just easier for filmmakers to fill that role with a lady, than it is with sean bean running around screaming his head off; Its same reason why horror movies have scream queens and not scream kings.

Its possible to have had a guy like sean bean running around town screaming for 40 minutes and be convincing. But its just easier to have a lady do it in horror movie cliche fashion