Search FAQ

Login | Register


All times are UTC [ DST ]


It is currently 17 Aug 2017




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message

Gravedigger
 Post subject: Re: So Anyone Else feel like Bassett....
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 15 Oct 2011
Notes left: 514
Last seen at: Phoenix
resevil80 wrote:
He also wanted to do another longer cut of the movie that wasn't in 3D....and he was told no...


Gans should release a director's cut of Silent Hill because it would be the first one that is shorter than theater version.


Top
   
 

Just Passing Through
 Post subject: Re: So Anyone Else feel like Bassett....
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 03 Feb 2010
Notes left: 122
Last seen at: Tennessee
tbonesays wrote:
resevil80 wrote:
He also wanted to do another longer cut of the movie that wasn't in 3D....and he was told no...


Gans should release a director's cut of Silent Hill because it would be the first one that is shorter than theater version.


Agreed....Although I'm not sure Gans wouldn't find more scenes of Rose to replace all the Chris/Gucci scenes..... :P


Top
   
 

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject: Re: So Anyone Else feel like Bassett....
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 22 Jun 2006
Notes left: 1924
Last seen at: Katz Street
resevil80 wrote:
tbonesays wrote:
resevil80 wrote:
He also wanted to do another longer cut of the movie that wasn't in 3D....and he was told no...


Gans should release a director's cut of Silent Hill because it would be the first one that is shorter than theater version.


Agreed....Although I'm not sure Gans wouldn't find more scenes of Rose to replace all the Chris/Gucci scenes..... :P


I would actually be cool with Gans doing that. lol

_________________
Image
WARNING: Some Parts of Reality May Seem Violent or Cruel.


Top
   
 

Rosewater Park Attendant
 Post subject: Re: So Anyone Else feel like Bassett....
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 18 Apr 2009
Notes left: 1399
I can't believe people are STILL upset over Rose being a woman. It just makes the movie easier to follow. Not for us but for the people who are going for a straight up horror film. In hollywood the mother daughter attachment is the one that's easier to relate to and it makes the dynamic between her and Cybil, and Dahlia (and Christabella but I know I know she wasn't in the game, whatever) just stronger and easier to buy without having to go much deeper into it. Women display emotions more too. Again even moreso in mainstream films. Whether you like it or not, if the male lead was asking everybody "where's my little girl" and cowering in corners a lot of the casual horror fans would be going "this guy's a little pussy". They'd have forced a relationship between him and Cybil too (hell if you play game 3 they did it in the games too), which would be lame as hell.

_________________
Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song, and there's always music in the air.


Top
   
 

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject: Re: So Anyone Else feel like Bassett....
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 22 Jun 2006
Notes left: 1924
Last seen at: Katz Street
DistantJ wrote:
They'd have forced a relationship between him and Cybil too (hell if you play game 3 they did it in the games too), which would be lame as hell.


How did they force a relationship in 3? Are you referring to Dougles and Heather? Because I thought it worked within the game and actually liked their relationship. Other than that, I can't think of anything else you could be talking about.

_________________
Image
WARNING: Some Parts of Reality May Seem Violent or Cruel.


Top
   
 

Rosewater Park Attendant
 Post subject: Re: So Anyone Else feel like Bassett....
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 18 Apr 2009
Notes left: 1399
No, I mean the fact that 3 explains that Harry and Cybil adopted Heather together. I think. Once again bringing in that damn cliche of "male+female endure something together = romance!"

Looking it up on the SH Wiki it looks like I might be wrong about that one, just off to watch that cut scene again...

EDIT: Huh... Where did I get that idea from? My friend who got me into Silent Hill about 6 years ago used to complain that Cybil died in the movie because it made SH3 impossible... Maybe I'm thinking of one of the SH1 endings?

_________________
Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song, and there's always music in the air.


Top
   
 

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject: Re: So Anyone Else feel like Bassett....
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 22 Jun 2006
Notes left: 1924
Last seen at: Katz Street
Cybil's fate is never mentioned in any game after SH1. I think you may have gotten confused. lol
But yeah, in the Good+ ending of SH1, Harry and Cybil run out of Nowhere together, and it changes the opening scene to Cybil holding the baby Cheryl with Harry instead of his wife. Maybe that's what threw you (or your friend?) off.

_________________
Image
WARNING: Some Parts of Reality May Seem Violent or Cruel.


Top
   
 

Rosewater Park Attendant
 Post subject: Re: So Anyone Else feel like Bassett....
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 18 Apr 2009
Notes left: 1399
Yeah looks like we'd gotten things confused with that ending. Looked through the SH3 car scene and it doesn't actually show that in the flashbacks, it shows the in-game moment where Alessa hands him Heather as a baby instead. For some reason I'd remembered that cutscene showing during Heather's soliloqy in the car amongst the game 1 footage.

_________________
Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song, and there's always music in the air.


Top
   
 

Subway Guard
 Post subject: Re: So Anyone Else feel like Bassett....
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 20 Jul 2004
Notes left: 1538
Last seen at: VA
Well i don't know about anyone else, but i was upset about the changes Gans made regarding Harry/Rose, Alessa's sacrifice, the Cult, and Dahlia's character altogether. I mean SH's videogame story and characters were just better all around imo. But yeah, i guess with all the other changes Gans had made, it made more sense to have a female lead.

"male+female endure something together = romance!"

Well, i don't see how forcing a relationship between Harry and Cybil could be any worse than what happened with Heather and Vincent's characters in Revelations. I guess you didn't like that either DistantJ, since it fits the cliche you also pointed out? MJB kinda butchered SH3, and the only reason i can stand Vincent at all in the film is because im a huge Game of Thrones fan (which means im a Kit fan).


Top
   
 

Gravedigger
 Post subject: Re: So Anyone Else feel like Bassett....
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 15 Oct 2011
Notes left: 514
Last seen at: Phoenix
DistantJ wrote:
I can't believe people are STILL upset over Rose being a woman. It just makes the movie easier to follow. Not for us but for the people who are going for a straight up horror film. In hollywood the mother daughter attachment is the one that's easier to relate to and it makes the dynamic between her and Cybil, and Dahlia (and Christabella but I know I know she wasn't in the game, whatever) just stronger and easier to buy without having to go much deeper into it. Women display emotions more too. Again even moreso in mainstream films. Whether you like it or not, if the male lead was asking everybody "where's my little girl" and cowering in corners a lot of the casual horror fans would be going "this guy's a little pussy". They'd have forced a relationship between him and Cybil too (hell if you play game 3 they did it in the games too), which would be lame as hell.


It's not that we object to Gans wanting an all female cast, he's French right? But he had to open his mouth afterward and give the reason; the character isn't believable because fathers don't love their daughters enough. I don't think it was the only time he frustrated audiences by reinterpreting something that should have been left alone.


Last edited by tbonesays on 10 Nov 2012, edited 1 time in total.

Top
   
 

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject: Re: So Anyone Else feel like Bassett....
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 30 Mar 2011
Notes left: 283
tbonesays wrote:
DistantJ wrote:
I can't believe people are STILL upset over Rose being a woman. It just makes the movie easier to follow. Not for us but for the people who are going for a straight up horror film. In hollywood the mother daughter attachment is the one that's easier to relate to and it makes the dynamic between her and Cybil, and Dahlia (and Christabella but I know I know she wasn't in the game, whatever) just stronger and easier to buy without having to go much deeper into it. Women display emotions more too. Again even moreso in mainstream films. Whether you like it or not, if the male lead was asking everybody "where's my little girl" and cowering in corners a lot of the casual horror fans would be going "this guy's a little pussy". They'd have forced a relationship between him and Cybil too (hell if you play game 3 they did it in the games too), which would be lame as hell.


It's not that we object to Gans wanting an all female cast, he's French right? But he had to open his mouth afterward and give the reason; the character isn'[t believable because fathers don't love their daughters enough. I don't think it was the only time he frustrated audiences by reinterpreting something that should have been left alone.


Exactly. He managed to insult both men and women, by implying (a) Harry was acting "feminine" because he didn't laugh and shit grenades when reality turned into Hades around him, and (b) a woman would be more believably concerned about her child in such a situation.


Top
   
 

Just Passing Through
 Post subject: Re: So Anyone Else feel like Bassett....

Missing since: 31 Dec 2009
Notes left: 143
Last seen at: Lebanon, Pennsylvania
Yes, the mother-child dynamic is arguably more prevalent in Hollywood movies. But since when is conforming to cliches a good thing? Plus, a protective father isn't exactly a tough sell.

_________________
How can I be lost if I've got nowhere to go?


Top
   
 

Gravedigger
 Post subject: Re: So Anyone Else feel like Bassett....
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 15 Oct 2011
Notes left: 514
Last seen at: Phoenix
KoRn_Child wrote:
Yes, the mother-child dynamic is arguably more prevalent in Hollywood movies. But since when is conforming to cliches a good thing? Plus, a protective father isn't exactly a tough sell.


Probably because the remake of The Wicker Man had just bombed (although it's my guilty pleasure). Did the games ever have Harry Mason in a bear suit?


Top
   
 

Just Passing Through
 Post subject: Re: So Anyone Else feel like Bassett....
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 03 Feb 2010
Notes left: 122
Last seen at: Tennessee
tbonesays wrote:
KoRn_Child wrote:
Yes, the mother-child dynamic is arguably more prevalent in Hollywood movies. But since when is conforming to cliches a good thing? Plus, a protective father isn't exactly a tough sell.


Probably because the remake of The Wicker Man had just bombed (although it's my guilty pleasure). Did the games ever have Harry Mason in a bear suit?


I love The Wicker Man remake for all the wrong reason...Cage was at his insane best....The Bees...Those damn Bees....


Top
   
 

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject: Re: So Anyone Else feel like Bassett....
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 01 Jun 2009
Notes left: 2864
"I'm a policeman."

_________________
It's not that far.

Screenplay Archaeology Podcast - DEATH NOTE EPISODE IS UP!


Top
   
 

Just Passing Through
 Post subject: Re: So Anyone Else feel like Bassett....
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 03 Feb 2010
Notes left: 122
Last seen at: Tennessee
Kiramid, I just want to say, Love your Sig....Dirty Laundry was pretty freaking awesome...


Top
   
 

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject: Re: So Anyone Else feel like Bassett....
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 01 Jun 2009
Notes left: 2864
That it was.

_________________
It's not that far.

Screenplay Archaeology Podcast - DEATH NOTE EPISODE IS UP!


Top
   
 

Gravedigger
 Post subject: Re: So Anyone Else feel like Bassett....
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 15 Oct 2011
Notes left: 514
Last seen at: Phoenix
Does anyone on this page write porn fan fiction for Silent Hill? This thread opens up all sorts of plot twists.


Top
   
 

Rosewater Park Attendant
 Post subject: Re: So Anyone Else feel like Bassett....
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 18 Apr 2009
Notes left: 1399
Harry -> Rose wasn't playing to cliches, it was playing to expectations. It wouldn't have bothered me but I know a lot of horror fans (who loved Silent Hill) who would have just not appreciated a movie about a guy running around looking for his little girl and freaking out. There are moments like, for example, when Rose's flashlight battery starts to run down, and she just breaks down on the floor, which adds to the sense of isolation but would have looked absolutely ridiculous on a male character. Women just display their emotions more, which works great with the 'alone and paranoid' thing.

Skele wrote:
Well, i don't see how forcing a relationship between Harry and Cybil could be any worse than what happened with Heather and Vincent's characters in Revelations. I guess you didn't like that either DistantJ, since it fits the cliche you also pointed out?

Yeah, I didn't like that, but I did like the fact that he was a double agent. Vincent was the part about the film I liked the least. I mean, his character as a whole really just sucked for me, which is a shame, I was a big supporter of Bassett doing something different with him but I just thought he was really lame for the most part.

_________________
Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song, and there's always music in the air.


Top
   
 

Gravedigger
 Post subject: Re: So Anyone Else feel like Bassett....
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 15 Oct 2011
Notes left: 514
Last seen at: Phoenix
DistantJ wrote:
Harry -> Rose wasn't playing to cliches, it was playing to expectations. It wouldn't have bothered me but I know a lot of horror fans (who loved Silent Hill) who would have just not appreciated a movie about a guy running around looking for his little girl and freaking out. There are moments like, for example, when Rose's flashlight battery starts to run down, and she just breaks down on the floor, which adds to the sense of isolation but would have looked absolutely ridiculous on a male character. Women just display their emotions more, which works great with the 'alone and paranoid' thing.


Maybe. The old Twilight Zones had lonely and paranoid characters all the time and they were both genders and all ages.

One thing that was better with the sex change was Rose's poorly explained plan to take Sharon to the town that they only knew about from sleepwalking. It is easier to imagine a mother taking her daughter someplace on an irrational whim.


Top
   
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: