So Anyone Else feel like Bassett....

Discuss the latest about the second Silent Hill Movie

Moderator: Moderators

resevil80
Just Passing Through

Re: So Anyone Else feel like Bassett....

Post by resevil80 »

teosoleil wrote:Lol. The first movie's story was bad because of changes made to the original core story, to adapt to Gan's vision?

You're ignoring the fact that Harry was changed to Rose because of Harry's very feminine characteristics as a person, and the fact that the entire movie deals with themes that revolve around motherhood, what makes a good mother or bad mother, and how mother is god in the eyes of a child. Hell, the movie's last full line is "Mother is god in the eyes of a child." Without a female version of Harry, none of this would have worked at all.

The movie felt like Silent Hill just because of its visuals? What about the soundtrack? Acting? Symbolism? Cinematography? It seems like you credit the first movie for visuals only and deem every other area lackluster without explaining why. All these other aspects of the film adds to the atmosphere that is so "Silent Hill".
and that change brought on the Chris side story, which killed the pacing
No. What brought on the Chris side story was the decision of the film's executives who felt that a two-hour long movie without men in it would not be received well.

And even if the pacing with that side of the movie was horrible, it really is nothing compared to the pacing of Revelations.

Hell, the first movie didn't have much closeness to the original story, but managed to adapt a lot of meaningful and deep details into film. On the other hand, you have Revelations, which is extremely close to the game in many ways but fails to convey deeper details or any meaningful aspects as a whole.

And, even though he did get the story close to where it needed to be for future, non-Order related installments, he created a whole lot of problems and a bunch of mess that just can't be ignored unless you ignore important events of the first movie entirely. In fact, I would go as far as to say that the new aspect of
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
people now being drawn to Silent Hill
can only be taken seriously if you take the first movie out of the film canon at all, or, alternatively, having Revelations take place in an AU.
In the first film, Gans made every male in the movie unlikable(except Gucci).....Changing Harry to Rose is like saying Men can't love their children like women do, and on top of that, he tried to make Chris into an asshole who didn't love his daughter....I understand what he was going for...I personally didn't like what he did with the story.....Thats what I'm saying..

I disagree. I got about as many deep details out of Revelations as I did the first movie.....And I get the movie, it just didn't much for me on the emotional side of things...and I didn't care for any of the characters in the first movie....Rose was reckless and put her daughter in danger by taking her to a town that she knew was dangerous....Desperate or not....You don't do that....And yeah, lets run from the cops in the pouring rain and crash through a closed gate....Because thats just stupid. Cybil...Ok, she was pretty cool...But whats up with her making a useless sacrifice when could have easily went with Rose on the elevator, cause they weren't going to follow them into hell ....That's shoddy writing...

The acting? Really....It was just as bad as Revelations....The symbolism would have been fine if it wasn't all over the place....Oh, lets throw religious imagery at everyone, make statements like "I go by many names", have Alessa called a demon the entire movie and have a scene where it looks like she it making a deal with the devil.....Only to mess with everyone....Cause ya know...She's not a demon...

The cinematography is fine, The Visuals are fine, the music was fine....The Writing, Pacing, Acting was off....Way off.....Again, these are just opinions....

On the side of Revelations....It suffers from alot of the same problems....Pacing, Writing, at times the acting is just plain bad....There are a couple scenes that don't fit(The Mall)....The Retcons(which I can live with, again, just an opinion)....And the movie has more going on under the surface that some people are giving it credit for. at least I thought so...

About people being drawn to Silent Hill....How else do you set up the fact that Silent Hill isn't just a place Alessa created? Thats a problem Gans created....and Bassett had to fix it, and I have no problems with the way he did....
Again, I can see why people hate Revelations.....It has many flaws.....I don't hate the first movie, I just feel Gans was pretty careless with the way he played everything out....Thats just one mans opinion...And it really doesn't mean much of anything...
I'm still somewhat mystified by this assertion, and have been ever since Gans said it. What part of Harry's attitude or actions were feminine? Was it that he gave a shit about his daughter? Or was it that he ran like he had a corncob stuck up his ass?
I never understood this either...I think it was just a way to rationalize his changes to the story....
Patman
Gravedigger

Post by Patman »

Kenji wrote:
teosoleil wrote:You're ignoring the fact that Harry was changed to Rose because of Harry's very feminine characteristics as a person,
I'm still somewhat mystified by this assertion, and have been ever since Gans said it. What part of Harry's attitude or actions were feminine? Was it that he gave a shit about his daughter? Or was it that he ran like he had a corncob stuck up his ass?
Because he acted emotionally and impulsively, while most fathers would have a more cold minded approach. He didn' t say more than that but I think I can elaborate a little :

Harry encountered a cop, and instead of asking her to, say, organize a search with all the cops he can get, he just rushes out on foot yelling his daughter name everywhere, following every cryptic clue he stumbles upon without ever second guessing the efficiency of such a course of action.
resevil80
Just Passing Through

Post by resevil80 »

Patman wrote:
Kenji wrote:
teosoleil wrote:You're ignoring the fact that Harry was changed to Rose because of Harry's very feminine characteristics as a person,
Because he acted emotionally and impulsively, while most fathers would have a more cold minded approach. He didn' t say more than that but I think I can elaborate a little :

Harry encountered a cop, and instead of asking her to, say, organize a search with all the cops he can get, he just rushes out on foot yelling his daughter name everywhere, following every cryptic clue he stumbles upon without ever second guessing the efficiency of such a course of action.
That was his only choice....Trapped in Silent Hill....No Help is coming....
Patman
Gravedigger

Post by Patman »

resevil80 wrote:That was his only choice....Trapped in Silent Hill....No Help is coming....
I just checked the cutscene to make sure, Cybil says she' ll ask for reinforcements and he refuses to follow her. But yeah, on second thought it doesn' t scream woman at all.

Personally the thought of turning Harry into a woman wouldn' t have crossed my mind, but I didn' t mind it either.
Last edited by Patman on 07 Nov 2012, edited 1 time in total.
resevil80
Just Passing Through

Post by resevil80 »

LOL...That screams...I'm a dumbass man, and I can do it all by myself!
teosoleil
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by teosoleil »

Rose's character was deemed more fit to be accepted by general audience, based on stereotypical traits of female/motherly traits found in Harry that would have been presented much better in a woman (all opinion, of course). Add in the theme of motherhood in the movie and you pretty much have all the reasons why Harry was converted into Rose.
Kenji
Historical Society Historian

Post by Kenji »

All you've done is rearrange the words of the assertion and point to a faceless bandwagon that I've never met, personally.

Again, why is Harry being called "feminine?" Be specific.
tbonesays
Hope House Careworker

Post by tbonesays »

I take it the loyal fans wanted to see the game with real actors in the cinema. [British talk is catchy]. The story the core of the early games so it should be that for the movie. But it's clear that Avary/Gans wanted to do their own thing and tell a new story.

(I recall the imdb board for Doom and someone complained they didn't follow the story of the game. Right... Did anyone who played Doom notice that it had a story?)
Mr.FLOOT
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Mr.FLOOT »

I need to give this film another watch. I did think it was a bit bad. It wasn't the worst film I have ever seen and I still think it did a much better job than the Resident Evil films.
My main gripe was how fast the film was, how pointless every character was (Douglas and Claudia especially) and how the idea of Heather birthing god seemed like an after thought "You wrecked our sanctuary, your father will suffer, oh btw I wanna birth god from you. K thanks"
I loved the visuals, The other world was pretty good. It could have looked better though (Hello Midwitch School in the 1st film).
I really do feel that the studio took over, Maybe Lionsgate, decided to scrap the deeper elements of the film and hack it up to make it into a quick, grusome 3D halloween movie that it turned out to be rather than the deeper story driven film that the first one was.

I mean, Silent Hill 1 came out in April right? April never has massive blockbusters or crazy horror films, so Silent Hill had room to breathe, be different and reach out to an audience who were looking for something interesting in a time when film releases aren't huge.

SH:R came out at halloween, so a halloween film should be grusome, fast paced and not be too deep. So I don't entirely blame Bassett
tbonesays
Hope House Careworker

Post by tbonesays »

Mr.FLOOT wrote:
I really do feel that the studio took over, Maybe Lionsgate, decided to scrap the deeper elements of the film and hack it up to make it into a quick, grusome 3D halloween movie that it turned out to be rather than the deeper story driven film that the first one was.
. So I don't entirely blame Bassett
One spoiler I accidentally read was a quote by BAsset talking about how the new movie would have less plot and more emphasis on 3D graphics. I agree that perhaps that was not his own call. But hearing that pretty much ruled out the possibility of a good movie.
resevil80
Just Passing Through

Post by resevil80 »

He also wanted to do another longer cut of the movie that wasn't in 3D....and he was told no...
Mr.FLOOT
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Mr.FLOOT »

resevil80 wrote:He also wanted to do another longer cut of the movie that wasn't in 3D....and he was told no...

The he clearly wasn't 100% happy with it. I would loved to have seen a longer cut but I doubt we will ever get it.
resevil80
Just Passing Through

Post by resevil80 »

I think we might...He acted like he had the scenes to do a longer film, he just felt it wouldn't work in 3D....I kind of agree with that...Hoping we get a nice commentary track and at least deleted scenes on DVD...Would be really nice to get two different cuts of the film...
Numinex
Just Passing Through

Post by Numinex »

There definitely IS some kind of director's cut, Micheal said this on his blog (August 2011):

"There’s no actual news for you Silent Hill fans, I’m afraid. Editing continues. I delivered my first directors cut this past week, which will (hopefully) become the foundation for whatever the final cut is."
Silent Fantasy

Post by Silent Fantasy »

If a director's cut is released, I hope it's actually substantial amd helps the movie a bit. I'v never seen a director's cut of any movie actualy add anything noticable though.
WARNING: Some Parts of Reality May Seem Violent or Cruel.
Numinex
Just Passing Through

Post by Numinex »

*cough* LoTR trilogy *cough*

And it's just an example :P Not to mention Alien 3, Blade Runner, any many more.
Last edited by Numinex on 08 Nov 2012, edited 1 time in total.
Silent Fantasy

Post by Silent Fantasy »

Well those slipped my mind. lol SHR would benifit alot from 40 extra minutes. Well, if the scenes are any good anyway.
resevil80
Just Passing Through

Post by resevil80 »

I think 20 minutes would help....just to slow the pace down a little bit.....
Silent Fantasy

Post by Silent Fantasy »

20 to 30 minutes would be perfect to me. Maybe (as you said) to slow the pace down a bit. Maybe try to explain the things that weren't really touched on much in the movie as it is now. Maybe even some character development! Who knows. lol
KiramidHead

Post by KiramidHead »

Aliens is another great example of a director's cut. There's also Troy, T2, etc.