Ending & Setting up for sequel [SPOILERS].

Discuss the latest about the second Silent Hill Movie

Moderator: Moderators

lewisia08
Just Passing Through

Ending & Setting up for sequel [SPOILERS].

Post by lewisia08 »

I have just finished watching the movie. IMO it was OK, but nothing spectacular. I think as fans of the games we compare it too much to the originals. But Silent Hill as a game has a cult following and doesn't really appeal to the mass audiences.

One criticism I will make is why the hell was Travis at the end? If the producer does not want to make the games and films, adaptations, then adding in subtle details like this just confuses me. I think to myself? Well its nice he has included a character from another game, but after finishing that game, it would not make sense for Travis to be picking up Heather in his truck as its a prequel to the first game. It just makes the story more confusing for us gamers. That being said, I could be wrong as lot of Silent Hill's crazy timelines can sometimes be explained with theory.

I just feel like at the end of the movie he threw in some game references just to keep us happy.

I did like the ending of Harry's character staying in Silent Hill to find his wife. It left me thinking is the next sequel going to be a completely new storyline involving Harry, or are they going to combine some of the games making Harry the new James and his wife the new Mary from SH2?

I'd love to hear your thoughts on what you thought of the ending and how you interpreted it.

Does anyone else believe that Travis should not have been included in the final scene. The impression I got was that Travis had just returned from his own SH experience hence the reason why his druck was driving out of SH. But like I said before, Heather should still be a baby at this point right?

Sorry for the long post.
alone in the town
Historical Society Historian

Re: Ending & Setting up for sequel [SPOILERS].

Post by alone in the town »

I just feel like at the end of the movie he threw in some game references just to keep us happy.
That's all it was, as a blatant Downpour reference immediately follows this.

I don't see a problem with it, personally. The movies and the games are very clearly not the same universe and I do not expect the same rules to apply.
lewisia08
Just Passing Through

Post by lewisia08 »

Yeah. I haven't played Downpour but I noticed prison van in the final scene.

That's my point though, if the movies and games aren't in the same universe then I'd rather these gaming references be left out. Its a cheap way to say the movie satisfies both audiences. If the movies and games are not meant to be adaptations, then leave these cameo character pop-ups out completely.
alone in the town

I can't help but ask, what is the harm of them being included?

It certainly did not 'satisfy' me seeing them because I thought the movie was garbage, but it was a neat detail one could easily take or leave. It seems like an insignificant nit to pick.
lewisia08
Just Passing Through

Post by lewisia08 »

I'm not saying there's any harm. I said it was just my opinion and I want to see how others interpreted it. I just didn't see the point as like you said, the movie wasn't that great. Apart from Heather being 'Heather', the actual plot compared to SH3 is very loosely based, which I am fine with. But if they are going down that route I just felt that throwing in a couple of characters in towards the end, which do not have any purpose being there, nor does it fit the timeline was very cheap. IMO if they are going to throw them in there, at least do a little bit of research on the stories and motives first. If it was to set up a future movie, it would be necessary to do so, but I'm pretty sure it isn't going to be a plot thing and they will go down the Harry and his wife route.

Like I said mate, some people may agree, some may disagree. I suppose its based on what you want to see in a SH movie. Personally I think the first movie was better than this and even that wasn't great.
Last edited by lewisia08 on 14 Nov 2012, edited 1 time in total.
peronmls
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by peronmls »

I liked the ending it made me happy. He made it fun for us and easy for other directors to pick up where it left off.
Skele
Subway Guard

Post by Skele »

Well lewisia, the films and games take place in different universes, so timelines and things don't have to be followed. I didn't mind the cameo and reference to Downpour, however i was disappointed with other parts of the film.
lewisia08
Just Passing Through

Post by lewisia08 »

Yeah OK. That's cool. Just wanted peoples opinions on it. I was lucky I even saw this part as right before this the movie looks like its about to fade into credits and I almost turned it off.

I kind of like the fact it isn't strict on the games. I just would have preferred the movies to totally reinvent themselves. New characters, new plots etc. As its evident in the games, people go to silent hill for different reasons. James is an example of this. It doesn't always have to be because of Alessa.
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

It's definitely just an easter egg--many adaptations do things like that, especially in the video game business. It's meant to make fans smile; hell, if you think about it,
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
Why would a prison van even be entering Silent Hill? Heather's a single person; they'd just need a few cars, not a bus to transport her.

As for the Harry ending, I really want to believe it was just another nod (although it was a bit of a case of him holding the Idiot Ball considering he had Alessa there with him) to the games rather than actual sequel bait. I like to think Harry's played out; we haven't seen his Otherworld, but adding extra baggage to him would be unnecessary in my mind. He takes care of and loves Sharon/Heather because Rose brought her to him, and he misses his wife. I'd love to see more depth to him, but adding more things in to give him trauma for an Otherworld to tackle his issues would just be overkill, in my opinion.
lewisia08
Just Passing Through

Post by lewisia08 »

Without meaning to get off topic. It does seem like many fans aren't too impressed with the films. It's not like they're awful to watch, but I don't think they do the franchise justice.

Most of the film just seemed to get as many monsters in as possible. I didn't find it particularly scary and I just think it really needs a make over to work. It sure is a tough film to get right and I don't really how it could be done.

But the way the films are going, I wouldn't be surprised to see another 2-3 of them. And if they continue to be of this standard, the movie side of this franchise will be a total flop when looking back at it in years to come.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... Main.Cameo

That's all it is. A reference. They're not the only ones in the movie, who cares?

That being said, I was satisfied with the movie.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
lewisia08
Just Passing Through

Post by lewisia08 »

did you really need to send me a definition of what a cameo appearance was. I wasn't asking what it was. Just why the characters are there if there are no reasons to be there..
alone in the town

The games often reference older games for no reason except fanservice. You could say that it is the movie doing the games justice in one regard, if no others.
lewisia08
Just Passing Through

Post by lewisia08 »

Yeah, I suppose that is true. But like you said, the games and movies are from two different universes. Like, if the games started referencing Rose or a character only in the movies it would be stupid.
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

lewisia08 wrote:did you really need to send me a definition of what a cameo appearance was. I wasn't asking what it was. Just why the characters are there if there are no reasons to be there..
Except he's sending you a reason for them to be there: cameos. Just like there's no reason for celebrities to make guest appearances in shows, like Melissa Etheridge showing up in Ellen Degeneres' sitcom or Stan Lee being in every Marvel movie. They're homages/random bones thrown to fans--they don't always make sense.
lewisia08
Just Passing Through

Post by lewisia08 »

Yes, like I said I know how a cameo works. But to me the example is no way the same. A sitcom like that compared to a franchise that completely relies on its story. Hell, why didn't they include a scene where they pick up a hitchhiker that happens to be Henry from SH4. While there at it Travis might aswell run over James from SH2. Cameo right? I know thats stupid but it would have the same WTF effect on me.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

You're comparing what the movie did to actual continuity contradictions. That's not how cameos work. You're making a mountain out of a molehill.

If you really want some sort of symbolic reasoning behind the cameos (which isn't necessary), well...Travis did deliver Alessa out of the proverbial frying pan in the games. Giving Heather a ride out of town satisfies the same archetype. And the prison bus is a call back to the police subplot from the beginning of the movie, and is also a clear indication to Harry's comment that Silent Hill is still a town of lost souls, even with Heather's victory.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
lewisia08
Just Passing Through

Post by lewisia08 »

ok. lets end it here. like i said its a matter of opinion and I respect your views. For me, do I feel like it had any importance whatsoever to the movie? No. Was there any reasoning for Travis being there? No. Do I feel like it changed my opinion of the movie? Nope. was totally average.

To me that's enough to believe it was a pointless addition that had no impact on the outcome of the film. Like I said though, everyone wants someone different from these movies. And I may be nitpicking, but I remember the director saying its the movie will be a balance of original story and the 3rd game. All I noticed was that Heather, Douglas and Claudia were present. Some locations and some few other small things were the same but to me, that final scene seemed like he had just cashed in some references for no other reason but to make out they had used some of the game plot.
Silent Fantasy

Post by Silent Fantasy »

For me, do I feel like it had any importance whatsoever to the movie? No. Was there any reasoning for Travis being there? No. Do I feel like it changed my opinion of the movie? Nope.
That pretty much defines the effect a cameo should have. So not sure what your complaining about.

A cameo is not meant to have any impact on the film(In most cases). And the film actually was pretty balanced with using SH3's story and being a sequel to the first film. So much so that some things really don't make much sense and seem to come out of nowhere due to the movie trying to be like SH3.
But your getting worked up over something that means and is nothing but a nod. Why not whine about the out of place and random red shoe in Jack's Inn? Or the Mumbler drawing in the journal Heather reads in the car? Or the poster in the school?
The cameos you bring up are there for the same reasons all of these easter eggs are. Fan service. The movie doesn't follow the same continuity as the games, so Travis picking Heather up doesn't hurt anything. If it was anyone else it wouldn't have changed anything, so why not give a character from the games a short scene. Because it's all he'll get when it comes to a movie anyway.
WARNING: Some Parts of Reality May Seem Violent or Cruel.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

What Silent Fantasy said. You're bitching about the very existence of the concept of the Cameo itself, what's the big deal? It's not like the games and movies of Silent Hill and loads of similar franchise didn't have them before.

I mean, are you going to complain about the Room 302 Easter Egg in Silent Hill: Downpour, too?