Did Heather make the wrong choice returning to Silent Hill?

Discuss the latest about the second Silent Hill Movie

Moderator: Moderators

predxeno
Just Passing Through

Did Heather make the wrong choice returning to Silent Hill?

Post by predxeno »

I think Heather made a mistake returning to Silent Hill; her father expressly told her not to and Vincent even supported her father's statement. I understand why Heather felt that she needed to save her father, but I think she was doing him a disservice by doing so. Her father sacrificed himself so that she would be safe and so the cult of whatsitsname couldn't summon their God that would bring about... the apocalypse? Heather not only endangered herself by returning but also the entire world just to save 1 man. Also had she died, then it would have rendered her father's sacrifice moot; it would be a horrible fate to sacrifice yourself for someone you cared about only to see that person just walk to her death before your eyes in a vain attempt to save you
AuraTwilight
Historical Society Historian

Re: Did Heather make the wrong choice returning to Silent Hi

Post by AuraTwilight »

Heather had no idea that the world was at stake, so that has no bearing on the wrongfulness or rightfulness of her choice.

However, she did save her father, and she did live, therefore she made the right decision.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
predxeno
Just Passing Through

Post by predxeno »

Actually, the book she got from her father said that the cult wanted to birth God and had burned Alessa for that. Also, her father and Vincent both supported that returning was not a good idea. If she had died, then she would have ensured that her father's sacrifice was for nothing; she should never have taken that risk in the first place. And let's be honest, perhaps the most important reason why Heather lived is because she was in a movie, not in real life.
tbonesays
Hope House Careworker

Post by tbonesays »

Harry didn't really sacrifice himself. He was taken prisoner to be killed.
Patman
Gravedigger

Post by Patman »

predxeno wrote:And let's be honest, perhaps the most important reason why Heather lived is because she was in a movie, not in real life.
You do realize people don' t birth rapture gods in real life, right ? :D
Hard to say which part of the journal she bought and which she deemed coo coo for cocoa puffs. Besides, should she had fled the cult would still be looking for her and the fate of the world would still be at stake, they already proved twice they can find her.

By your logic the safest bet would actually be for her to suicide, however I don' t think she cares whether the rest of humanity goes down with her or not : she doesn' t Facebook people, remember ?

Anyway, as Aura pointed out as it turns out her choice led to the best possible outcome, so it was the right choice to make regardless of any pre-bet risk argument we might have.
AuraTwilight
Historical Society Historian

Post by AuraTwilight »

Actually, the book she got from her father said that the cult wanted to birth God and had burned Alessa for that.
That doesn't mean anything; the same cult also said Alessa was a witch who deserved what she got.
If she had died, then she would have ensured that her father's sacrifice was for nothing; she should never have taken that risk in the first place. And let's be honest, perhaps the most important reason why Heather lived is because she was in a movie, not in real life.
Harry's 'sacrifice' (which wasn't even willing) did absolutely nothing to protect Heather. The cult was after her anyway, and even if she resisted their harassment, they were gradually destroying her life and so was the encroachment of the Otherworld, to the point that she was wanted for murder. Going to Silent Hill was the only real way for her to have a shot at the happy life Harry wanted for her.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
predxeno
Just Passing Through

Post by predxeno »

It's been awhile since I've seen the movie (I can't believe I have to wait another month for the 3D edition :x ) so I may be skimpy on a lot of the details, but I think many of you have good points. I actually forgot about the entire police investigation thing in the film, I would have thought the director would have wanted to make it a bigger plot point; ah well, throw it into the bin of all the other failed ideas the director brought to this movie. I just wish the movie could have depicted Heather actually disbelieving some of the book's material (specifically the birth God thing) cause of the aforementioned coo-cooness or have her not completely understand the stakes.