22%
Didn't see it.
2%

Total votes: 45

WelcomeToNowhere
Brookhaven Receptionist

Re-write Revelation!

Post by WelcomeToNowhere »

Okay, so most of us fans were at least a little... "disgruntled," let's say, about how Michael J. Bassett ended up writing the screenplay for Silent Hill: Revelation. Perhaps the character development wasn't quite up to snuff, or the pacing was too fast/slow/inconsistent/too consistent/whatever, or there were certain unavoidable plotholes relating to the original Silent Hill film.

So... re-write it! Imagine up a new plot for Silent Hill Revelation, change or modify the characters, the settings, even the music. It doesn't even necessarily need to be a direct sequel to the first Silent Hill film, either. Write a plot synopsis and any big changes for how YOU would have made this movie.

Given OK by Amy - fudgestix
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Re: Re-write Revelation!

Post by JKristine35 »

Here's a plotline I put together awhile ago:

They could have done a story where Claudia and Alessa were friends in childhood because they both had pretty shitty lives (just like in the games), but then Alessa gets burned and Claudia and her abusive father flee the town. Claudia joins up with the Order, a separate cult that opposes the one that burned Alessa, in the hopes of bringing about paradise so no one will suffer as she did, but all their attempts at impregnating a woman with the god keep failing because they need someone with unnatural powers. Claudia knew from her friendship with Alessa that Alessa had powers before being burned, but Claudia believes Alessa is dead. Then 2004 rolls around, and Claudia opens up the Brahams Herald one day to see the giant picture of the Da Silvas that was splashed across the front page the day after Rose and Sharon's disappearance. She realizes that Alessa somehow survived the fire, and that she can use Sharon to birth God. Sharon/Alessa returns to the real world, and intentionally represses her memory of life as Alessa, either because she has become brave enough to face the real world and wants to start a new life, or because something terrible happened to Rose after the events of the first film. The Order sees her return and starts chasing her, cuing events similar to those in Revelation (but without all the bad writing and laughable "atmosphere"). They want to make Alessa remember her previous life because her powers are largely tied to her emotions, and remembering her torture and rape will wake up her dark side again. Claudia also believes that Alessa will want to take part in the ritual once she remembers what was done to her. The film would act similarly to SH3, with Heather slowly remembering her past. Once Heather's past is revealed, she sports Alessa's personality, but still does not agree with Claudia's plans. When Claudia threatens her, Heather allows her personality to split one last time, and creates a dark version of herself, who destroys Claudia and her followers. With her personality merged once more, Heather leaves and returns home with her parents, aware of her past but able to cope with it.

I think that would have made a very good and workable film, so long as the atmosphere stayed intact, the dialogue was good, and Memory of Alessa didn't look like an emo goth. It would be very close to the game, and would also work without retconning the first film.
WelcomeToNowhere
Brookhaven Receptionist

^I like that--it's a lot more in-line with the game, but without alienating the fans of the first movie. Congratulations, you're already a better screenwriter than Michael J Bassett. :D

Okay, so my idea for Revelation is like this: Dark Alessa and Sharon fused at the end of SH1TM and Rose and Sharon head home, where Sharon goes to bed and wakes up in her bed. Chris is frantic about Rose and starts setting up searches for her with the police department, because Sharon doesn't want to tell him anything about what happened. Rose doesn't know how to get back to the real world, so she hits up Dahlia back in Silent Hill for clues. She says she has no idea, it's impossible...but after a "The Reason You Suck" speech from Rose, she mumbles something about Alessa's old room at the old Brookhaven Hospital. While exploring the hospital, she meets Lisa, Alessa's private nurse. The two search the hospital for a key to the mysteriously locked storeroom in the basement, which Lisa thinks might hold the key to escape they're looking for. They run into and avoid SH1-style puppet nurses and the big arm-swingy things from Silent Hill 3, and Lisa kills one with a knife she stole from the kitchen. They get the key from a puppet doctor in the Hospital Director's office, then head into the basement storeroom, and from there the sub-basement, where they find a weird corridor where the cult must have done their evil shenanigans before Alessa took over the hospital. One of the creepy rooms is a storeroom with little wood boxes in it, marked "Impure Artifacts," probably magical items the cult captured with intent to "purify" them. One of the boxes is something called a "Flauros," which Rose picks up. A paper is underneath saying to head to the park, where a key is hidden behind an angel's statue. They take the chunk of the broken Flauros and the clue and head over to the park, where they find the key that (according to another note inside the lockbox) goes to the SHHistorical Society. They head over there and see all these old paintings and artifacts that imply the cult's been running the town since the 1700s, and one display case has a piece of the flauros in it. They pick it up, and under it is a message etched into the wood saying "NeEly THeRe. A mAp WOulD HeLp" which leads them to BAR Neely's. A message on the newspaper-covered window says "there was a HOLE here, it's gone now," and a map on the bar has circled the Green Lion Antiques Store. Before they can leave, the otherworld comes around and a hole appears in the window, that the two crawl through to get outside.

All this time, Chris has been coordinating searches for Rose with the police, neighbors, and a pair of Private Detectives he hired named Claudia and Douglas, but their searches don't turn anything up. Sharon's been experiencing occasional blackouts, which coincide with the appearances of the otherworld in Silent Hill, and during these memory blackouts she becomes angry and mean, occasionally violent. She almost hurts Chris once, but he manages to wake her back up before her awakening magical powers can actually hurt him.

Rose and Lisa make it to the Green Lion after following a raised metal catwalk surrounded by rusty windmills. Inside is Dahlia Gillespie, being held by the throat by a woman with dark brown hair, blue eyes burning with hatred, a purple dress... it's adult Alessa! Now fully involved in her role as "demon," she longs to destroy the real world, too--but she can't get there herself, and since she's now corrupted by evil, she can't touch the Flauros to get out. When Dark Alessa and Sharon fused together and left, they took her magic with them--but Alessa could use a psychic connection between them to steal Sharon's magic from the real world. Once she makes it there with the Flauros she manipulated Rose into finding and fixing, she'll kill and absorb Sharon, then end the world. Alessa starts attacking Rose, Lisa, and Dahlia in the antiques shop, and they hide and run. Lisa jumps out and tries to stab Alessa, but is caught and starts being killed. Dahlia says "you will need to use it." What, Rose asks. Dahlia pulls out the final piece and says "The Flauros." The Flauros comes together and floats into the air, shooting a beam of light at Alessa. She collapses and turns to ash. Rose goes to comfort the dying Lisa, who tells her to go, it'll be fine, her daughter needs her. After Lisa dies, Rose goes to pick up the Flauros, turning to say bye to Dahlia... but she's in the real antiques shop, dusty and abandoned. She drives back to her house, and the last shot is the door as she goes inside. You can hear Sharon say "Mommy!" at the same time Chris say "Rose!"
And the screen fades out.
AuraTwilight
Historical Society Historian

Post by AuraTwilight »

What JKristine said, except instead of Heather splitting on purpose to take out Claudia, Memory of Alessa is a being she has to fight as a result of repressing her memories, and has to beat her to earn them back.

Claudia tries to goad Heather into using her powers to defeat her because Using Powers = Negative Emotions = Claudia Wins on an Ethical Level.

Heather just guns her down with an uzi. The end.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
tbonesays
Hope House Careworker

Post by tbonesays »

So, we're trying a wikiscript where anyone can modify? Hollywood should try that so they don't have to pay any writers.

But seriously, is this thread to suggest new stories or leave SHR's basic structure alone?

And can we please ban links to actual wikis?
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

What's the point in banning wiki links?

And the thread is to rewrite the story however you think it should've been done. Now do you have an actual contribution or what?
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
born2kill
Just Passing Through

Post by born2kill »

Hows this:

As a kid, Claudia was also sent away from silent hill, much like Sharon was sent away (this offers a nice symmetry btwn protagonist & antagonist). Young Claudia was taken away just before the big coal fire and therefore wasnt trapped in silent hills foggy dimension, as a ghost or whatever. So shes in the "real world". However the big coal fire became an obsession for claudia. As she grew up she learned everything she could about it & started her own version of the cult in the real world dimension.
And Basically, instead of Silent hill 1's protagonists facing Cristabellas Cult in the ghost world (that was completely resolved). Revelations protagonists faces Claudias Cult in the real world, over the ashes of former silent hill.

Same basic concept, but in a different dimension. And different variation of the cult. Claudias cult is more romanticized & sanguine, as opposed to the puritanical cult of pt. 1.

That fixes any dumb plotholes regarding why certain characters are able to leave silent hill (cult members, vincent). None of them are from there, that dimension is gone. And all the ghostly residents from pt.1 are only referenced in memories/flashbacks.

The main plot should be the same; heather is lured to the former silent hill by Claudias disciples in order to perform some crazy ritual on her (leave it vague. the rebirth demon thing will give audience members a headache). Vincent, by happenstance, ends up accompanying her on the journey. Thats where the similarities end.
My version has the journey to silent hill taking longer, with more investigating needed for heather to find out what the hell silent hill is, what the cult symbols represent, where the town was located, what do they want from her, etc.. (harrys book with all the answers in the movie is gone. and the google page rose used in pt. 1 is gone too).
Cut out the hotel speech where vincent gave heather the entire plot synopsis (terrible) and let them unravel the mystery piece by piece along the way.

As they get closer to finding silent hill, heather has visions of monsters (like in the movie) that get progressively worse until she has episodes where the entire world is a bloody nightmare. She must hide, run, and fight to escape it. Vincent helps her but its unclear whether he saw the monsters too (game reference).

Meanwhile, the police are still searching for heather. Presumably as a suspect for douglas & harrys deaths, but its never stated outright (allowing multiple interpretations, for ex. maybe the police are cultists).
Heather & the police play cat & mouse a few times. But eventually the police catch up and it culminates in a high speed chase, leading into the entrance of silent hill (reminiscent of cybil chasing rose). Vincent cowers in his seat, as heather gasses through the gate. "Woooo we made it!" theyre momentarily psyched...until the car engine suddenly dies from the damage. And the police arrest them.
While in the holding cell, they have some funny bonding dialogue. Eventually the monsterous visions of heather appear and kill policemen & in the chaos, heather & vincent escape, but are split up.

Fast forward: heather makes her way into silent hill. Escapes the spider manniquin, kills leonard, meets dark heather at the amusement park who combines with her (like dark alessa combined with rose in pt. 1.

Fast forward: Heather gets to the church where harry is held. Heather shoots a couple of cultists and puts a gun on claudia, and gets the upper hand. but she is forced to surrender or else harry & vincent will be killed. She makes a deal to give herself up, if they let them go. Theyre released. Heather is taken and tied to the alter, the same one alessa was burned on. The cultists lite the pyre. Harry fights his way back in trying to save her but claudia stabs him in the chest with a dagger. Heather screams out in pain and the world suddenly starts to ice over...

something like that. Unfortunately i must leave for work now. hopefully you get the gist.
tbonesays
Hope House Careworker

Post by tbonesays »

AuraTwilight wrote:What's the point in banning wiki links?

And the thread is to rewrite the story however you think it should've been done. Now do you have an actual contribution or what?
Relax, I just wanted to know if this is for freestyling or sticking to an adaption of SH3. The replies say we're doing the latter, which is helpful.
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

Another point, I think it should be noted that Heather has an aversion to her reflection due to her past. Just one sentence could cover that, with the scene of Heather turning bloody in the mirrored room later. Not everyone will get the symbolism, but most should.
wonder's boy
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by wonder's boy »

I like JKristine35's version of it, it really puts Claudia in a more utilized position versus her brief and fairly two-dimensional (haha) presence in Revelation. I would still keep Vincent in it, similar to how he was in Revelation, with also more of a purpose... I just can't get over how much I enjoyed his and Heather's chemistry on the screen. I mean chemistry in the romantic sense, yes, but Kit and Adelaide worked well as a duo on the screen, and I enjoy their talent.
Music created by the fans, for the fans. . . . . . . . . . . . . . Vol. 1 | Vol. 2 | Vol. 3
WelcomeToNowhere
Brookhaven Receptionist

tbonesays wrote:
AuraTwilight wrote:What's the point in banning wiki links?

Relax, I just wanted to know if this is for freestyling or sticking to an adaption of SH3. The replies say we're doing the latter, which is helpful.
This thread is about writing the second Silent Hill movie, whatever way you'd have liked to have seen on-screen. Base it on SH3, or as a sequel to the first movie exclusively, or even based on one of the other games like SH2, 4 or even (god forbid) Homecoming. This is a "what-if" thread, man. Lighten up! :)
Sith_Dreamer
Just Passing Through

Post by Sith_Dreamer »

I'll edit this later with a longer description, but I'd have set it up that Claudia was the sister to Christabella. however, they had differing views and Christabella, with her more traditional views, only saw Alessa as a witch, a demon, a slight upon God. Claudia, however, with her own religious practices that had been hidden behind the scenes of the town for some time, saw Alessa as their savior, the vessel that could birth God. from there I'd do a slightly more direct version of SH3, maybe offer a better explaination for how Heather exists given the end of the first film, and of course, vut out the love itnerest. Douglas should have been what Vincent in the film was, without the love story of course.
"Once More the Sith Shall Rule the Galaxy!"- Palpatine
"Welcome to My Nightmare!"- Freddy Krueger
tbonesays
Hope House Careworker

Post by tbonesays »

Sith_Dreamer wrote:I'll edit this later with a longer description, but I'd have set it up that Claudia was the sister to Christabella. however, they had differing views and Christabella, with her more traditional views, only saw Alessa as a witch, a demon, a slight upon God. Claudia, however, with her own religious practices that had been hidden behind the scenes of the town for some time, saw Alessa as their savior, the vessel that could birth God. from there I'd do a slightly more direct version of SH3, maybe offer a better explaination for how Heather exists given the end of the first film, and of course, vut out the love itnerest. Douglas should have been what Vincent in the film was, without the love story of course.
I like this idea because it helps us to retconstitute the two films around a schism between Claudia's and Christabella's followers. That would help with some of the discrepencies between the words and actions of the order.
The Demon
Just Passing Through

Post by The Demon »

Before Bassett signed onto and wrote Revelation, Avery said that he had a story written for the second film. I'm really curious to know how that played out, especially since (i'm guessing) it wouldn't retcon the first film like SH:R did.
tbonesays
Hope House Careworker

Post by tbonesays »

I made a skeleton framework to retconstitute two verify different films into one fluid story. My first goal is to bridge the first movie to the sequel, building off Sith's Claudia vs Christabella feud storyline. From: Rose and Sharon back home in Ohio with Dahlia alone in a deserted Silent Hill, to: Rose and Dahlia back in SH now populated with Claudia's Order. (At least MJB made that Alessa thing perfectly clear).

Claudia wished to use poor Alessa to birth their god into the world, as in the 1st game. Christabella wanted to purify the evil out of Alessa so there could never be a pagan god in their world . But Claudia's Order knew that Christabella's Cult would majorly foul up the burning of child Alessa. Therefore the Order was ready to pack up and leave town once it happened, and they split with the first waves of refugees out of Silent Hill. They didn't realize Alessa would suck everyone into the Fog World regardless of how far they ran. So the Order woke up in Fog World Brahams in events before the first film. But they couldn't get back into the town of Silent Hill as it was cut off. But Alessa fixes the bridge as she left with Rose.

With Alessa temporarily out of the picture, the Order finally crosses bac over into Silent Hill. There an extremely depressed Dahlia explains why Christabella et al will not be at the family reunion.
Droo

Post by Droo »

I would have made the poptart jump scare a recurring gag, to start.
"Oh yeah, I've been here before
I can see it with eyes closed
Shadows that look like blood
Dead as far as the mind goes
Fear that comes from my head
Lives in the mirror"
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

That's a great idea, actually. After the Travis cameo scene, cut to a poptart jump scare as some other person wakes up, and there's some subtle indication that the town is calling them.

BEFORE YOU DIE, THE POPTART'S READY.
Droo

Post by Droo »

Silent Hill 3: The Poptart Prophecies
"Oh yeah, I've been here before
I can see it with eyes closed
Shadows that look like blood
Dead as far as the mind goes
Fear that comes from my head
Lives in the mirror"
Wigeke
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by Wigeke »

Droo wrote:Silent Hill 3: The Poptart Prophecies
Featuring a fan favorite, the one and only, Pyramid Poptart.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

A pyramid poptart sounds so fucking good if the entire interior of the pyramid is the jam. Oh my god.