Personal Reflections on BoM?

Come here to talk about the Book of Memories.

Moderator: Moderators

What do you think about Book of Memories?

It looks amazing! I can't wait to buy it!
4%
It seems pretty cool. Might pick it up if I feel like it.
29%
It's... different. Maaaaaaybe...
16%
/neutral/
13%
Meh. I don't hate it, but it's not, like, the best thing ever, either.
16%
I dislike it. I don't like where this is going, and it's gonna suck.
13%
KILL IT WITH FIRE! FIRE AND HOLY WATER!!!
9%

Total votes: 45

WelcomeToNowhere
Brookhaven Receptionist

Personal Reflections on BoM?

Post by WelcomeToNowhere »

What does everybody think about the upcoming piece of crap?

If you don't have a Vita preorder, would this new "Silent Hill" be enough to coerce you into buying one?

Also, is BM even out yet? I literally care so little, I cannot be bothered to look it up.
Last edited by WelcomeToNowhere on 23 Feb 2012, edited 1 time in total.
Yuki
Historical Society Historian

Re: Personal Reflections on BoM?

Post by Yuki »

WelcomeToNowhere wrote:What does everybody think about the upcoming piece of crap?

If you don't have a Vita preorder, would this new "Silent Hill" be enough to coerce you into buying one?

Also, is BM even out yet? I literally care so little, I cannot be bothered to look it up.
I'm waiting until the price goes down or Persona 4: The Golden is released before I get a Vita. It's just too pricey for me at this point, and there aren't as many games I want for it yet as for the 3DS.

I haven't seen a lot of footage of BoM--if there's even that much out--but I think it'll be pretty fun. I'm not necessarily "excited" for it, like I am for Downpour, but I'm not negative on it at all. It's a spinoff that looks to be just a fun game with a Silent Hill skin; it won't affect the gameplay of the main series. It looks like fun, and that's about my only thoughts on it.
WelcomeToNowhere
Brookhaven Receptionist

^I'm sorry, I think I've gotta disagree with you--I really don't like where this whole thing is going. I mean, why does it even need the "SH" name on it? It's not even about the fricking town! It's about a damn book! Just give it to Stephen King or Clive Barker, they'd probably dig the publicity, but for the SH series, we can't take any more failures or disappointments. We've already got a bad enough reputation because of the LAST three fuckups (Origins, Homecoming, and SHSM), and another blot on the permanent record might be just a little too much for the franchise to handle. :?

Also, there is now a poll! Vote on it! :twisted:

BTW, is Persona 4: Golden a part of the regular Shin Megami Tensei series, or is it a spinoff? (because I want to know :mrgreen: )
alone in the town

Post by alone in the town »

I am pretty much entirely ignorant of it, and I'm not altogether interested.
Number 7
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Number 7 »

I'm not interested in getting a Vita at all so I'm not going to worry about this game, regardless of whether it's good or bad.
"He's underground now. His new name is Number Seven."
Typographenia

Post by Typographenia »

WelcomeToNowhere wrote:What does everybody think about the upcoming piece of crap?
Good job on setting the tone for any future discussion!

I'm not a huge handheld person, and even less of a multiplayer person. That said, I might pick it up when it goes on sale. I've been considering maybe getting a Vita at some point, so it'd be nice to have.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

I'm not really a gamer. I play games, but I won't spend $300 on a system just so I can play games, especially if there's only one game on said system that I'm only remotely interested in. Sorry, BOOK OF MEMORIES.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
VIVIsect

Post by VIVIsect »

After buying a PSP, which I ended up using as an expensive paperweight before selling, I'll never buy another handheld gaming device. Also, I have -zero interest in Book of Memories.
nobody is anybody
SPRINGS02
Location: i'm sick of these monkey fighting snakes on this monday to friday plane.

Post by SPRINGS02 »

I'm not interested in it at all.
Kenji

Post by Kenji »

WelcomeToNowhere wrote:If you don't have a Vita preorder, would this new "Silent Hill" be enough to coerce you into buying one?
No.

Honestly, the only reason I ended up getting Origins on time was because someone in my apartment building was selling their virtually-new PSP for $50.

And then I took three years to finish Origins.

Y'live and y'learn.

I do get a lot of play on that PSPgo I bought in a fit of madness, though. Never did play the PSP-1000 all that much, though.
It Burns
Just Passing Through

Post by It Burns »

Nope, I have zero interest in this game.
I do plan to buy a Vita when its price drops, but I still won't buy BoM.
Kenji

Post by Kenji »

I should add that if, by some chance, it turned out awesome, I'd consider getting it.

Though... I'd have no one to play it with. And that kinda defeats the purpose of buying a multiplayer game, no matter how awesome it is.
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

WelcomeToNowhere wrote:^I'm sorry, I think I've gotta disagree with you--I really don't like where this whole thing is going. I mean, why does it even need the "SH" name on it? It's not even about the fricking town! It's about a damn book! Just give it to Stephen King or Clive Barker, they'd probably dig the publicity, but for the SH series, we can't take any more failures or disappointments. We've already got a bad enough reputation because of the LAST three fuckups (Origins, Homecoming, and SHSM), and another blot on the permanent record might be just a little too much for the franchise to handle. :?

Also, there is now a poll! Vote on it! :twisted:

BTW, is Persona 4: Golden a part of the regular Shin Megami Tensei series, or is it a spinoff? (because I want to know :mrgreen: )
It's called Silent Hill because it takes place in the Silent Hill universe and has its monsters. I don't see a huge problem with it, I really don't. I can understand maybe not being interested, but actively seeming angry? It won't affect the rest of the series. Silent Hill 2 hardly focused on the town; it focused on James and Maria, and used the town as a backdrop. Should it have been called James and Maria Meet Up In A Freaky Place instead of Silent Hill, then?

As for Persona 4: The Golden, have you heard of the Persona series? It's a spinoff that's more story-oriented than the main SMT series. The Golden, specifically, is a port of Persona 4 to the Vita, adding extra features and (I think) HD graphics.
Doctor Eggnog
Subway Guard

Post by Doctor Eggnog »

I picked the meh one. I don't think it'll necessarily be a terrible game but I really doubt I'll like it.

@ WelcomeToNowhere, I don't think Origins was anywhere near as big a fuckup as 4. And I've heard good things about SM's story.
Socially Awkward Penguin is my hero.
Bishop Sasarai

Post by Bishop Sasarai »

Not interested. I don't hate it, but it doesn't look that appealing to me at all. And I don't like playing games with other people (with one exception).
"In relation to [animals], all people are Nazis; for the animals, it is an eternal Treblinka." - Isaac Bashevis Singer
--
Proud member of the Asiatic hordes. SEANZ.
WelcomeToNowhere
Brookhaven Receptionist

In reverse chronological order,

@Doctor Eggnog: Sure, Shattered Memories had a great story--that was the whole point of the game. But the way it came off was less like a horror game and more like a frustrating interactive novel. No fighting, no fear of death and having to do a bunch of backtracking as a penalty, no real puzzles, etc. Also, I didn't really think the whole "psych profile changes how the game works" thing went as well as it could have. After all, no matter how you play it, it ends about the same, and any changes are cosmetic. SH4 was kinda nice, I think, but I'll get yelled at by somebody if I defend it at all. And yes, Origins was the second worst SH game I've ever played, behind Homecoming. Not 4.

@Yuki: The whole point of Silent Hill is that the power of the town reaches inside you and changes the world to suit your own personal demons. If it doesn't take place in Silent Hill, and the powers that be of Silent Hill aren't involved, then it doesn't really need the SH moniker. May as well be "Clive Barker's Book of Memories" or something, since Silent Hill won't really have anything to do with it, you know? That's just my personal reflection, though.

@Kenji: Yeah, playing multiplayer games by yourself gets real depressing real fast, huh. Why buy it if you can't really play it? :/

@Typographenia: Why, thank you! I wanted to make my feelings on the matter rather clear from the get-go; after all, there's no real reason to beat around the bush, and as the apathy in this thread shows, no-one really disagrees with me, either. Not even you. :)

@Number 7: EVERYTHING YOU JUST SAID IS WHAT I'M THINKING. ARE YOU A WIZARD, NUMBER 7? BECAUSE I THINK YOU ARE.
Piramit Kafa
Just Passing Through

Post by Piramit Kafa »

I couldn't care less about it.
There was a SIGNATURE here. It's gone now.
Typographenia

Post by Typographenia »

WelcomeToNowhere wrote:@Typographenia: Why, thank you! I wanted to make my feelings on the matter rather clear from the get-go; after all, there's no real reason to beat around the bush, and as the apathy in this thread shows, no-one really disagrees with me, either. Not even you. :)
I'm not opposed to the game at all. I'm glad they didn't repeat the same approach they did last time with a portable. I don't think the silent hill format lends itself well to a portable system. I would much rather they try something completely different than force the console formula on a handheld.

I'm just not a big handheld person, but I will be picking it up at some point.
NanayaShiki
SHH Cult & SHHF Moderator
SHH Cult & SHHF Moderator

Post by NanayaShiki »

I'm interested in it. I have faith in the people involved with it. But I will admit, it doesn't look like my kind of thing based on gameplay. When I eventually get a Vita (doing it for Persona 4), I'll definitely pick it up for my collection. Have all the SH games before it, see no need to miss one now.
Tabris
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Tabris »

Can't say I give much of a shit about this game. My roommate might buy a Vita so I'll just get him to buy it and I'll check it out.

If not, I'll consider it a couple years down the road.

Most of the interesting tidbits about the game I'll be able to read here. Like the little bits of information they'll throw out there about the town etc.

It does look like it will be fun though. Full of ridiculous fanservice. I wouldn't mind jumping on here and playing with a bunch of forum members.

As a game that looks like it doesn't need to be taken too seriously, it achieves exactly that. Minus the fans that would kill the families of the developers and burn their studio to the ground of course.