So, Apparently, BoM was delayed....

Come here to talk about the Book of Memories.

Moderator: Moderators

Augophthalmoses
My Bestsellers Clerk

Re: So, Apparently, BoM was delayed....

Post by Augophthalmoses »

Droo wrote:Maybe they decided to give it some technical polish after the (much deserved) public lynching Konami has received for Downpour and HD's issues.
That or they probably decided to push the date back until said public backlash dies down.

It was wise to release Downpour first because releasing it after the HD Collection would have really killed its sales.

Then again, it doesn't help the HD Collection was released so soon after Downpour either.

Also:
unreadphilosophy wrote:This is the theory that most of the critics are contemplating as well. I think Konami is learning that releasing thee games in a month. is a recipe for disaster. Still, I'm remaining overly skeptical about Book of Memories. Based on what I've (and we've) seen thus far, I doubt even a delay is going to do much good.
Fixed.
NanayaShiki
SHH Cult & SHHF Moderator

Post by NanayaShiki »

Again?
http://www.amazon.com/Silent-Hill-Book- ... B006476318
"This item will be released on October 31, 2012."
Augophthalmoses
My Bestsellers Clerk

Meh, it's Amazon. They've had placeholder dates before so I'd take what they say with a grain of salt and I'd wait until Konami makes an official announcement about it.
WelcomeToNowhere
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by WelcomeToNowhere »

Halloween 2012? How the hell many bugs can one game HAVE? o_O
Augophthalmoses
My Bestsellers Clerk

That's assuming it was held back for bugs. This is Wayforward, not Hijinx Games or Vatra. Just because other releases have technical issues doesn't mean others do.

For all we know they probably decided to change the release date (assuming this one is legit of course) because:
A. To coincide with the release of the movie since Revelation is scheduled to come out around that time.
B. To wait until the negative reception from the HD Collection fades a little bit with time passing.
Typographenia
Historical Society Historian

Post by Typographenia »

Wow, that would be insane if it really was pushed that far back. Considering it was slated to release in March, I would have to imagine it couldn't possibly need that much of a window to tweak or fix issues unless something HUGE came up. This would have to be more of a matter of marketing, but I wonder how payment works in a situation like this. The product (I assume) is finished, but since it doesn't hit market for several more months (again, assuming oct. is correct), do they get paid when it releases or what? This seems like such an odd move on Konami's part.
Mephisto

Post by Mephisto »

I hope the delay is due to WF taking some ideas from this very forum into account.
Lostkitsune
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by Lostkitsune »

I seriously don't think that date for amazon is correct. Gamestop and a few other stores around me still quote a release date of the 22nd
NanayaShiki

Post by NanayaShiki »

Well, I guess we'll find out in a week...
Hydra666
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Hydra666 »

I think they are delaying it because they are totally changing the game mechanics.
The same thing happened with Origins (remember the first version with the retarded monsters and the horrible gameplay).
Mephisto

Post by Mephisto »

^ I doubt it. Maybe they're fixing some bugs and adding new content.

And that 0rigins footage was a beta. Just a preview.
Typographenia

Post by Typographenia »

Hydra666 wrote:I think they are delaying it because they are totally changing the game mechanics.
The same thing happened with Origins (remember the first version with the retarded monsters and the horrible gameplay).
You don't push a game back several months just after delaying it RIGHT before release to completely overhaul the core mechanics.
WelcomeToNowhere
Brookhaven Receptionist

^Why not? Do you remember the legendary Duke Nukem Forever vaporware debacle? They had a mostly-finished beta of the game in 1999, and it was scheduled to come out "next year" for something like twelve years; why couldn't a less severe iteration of vaporwear-ing happen to SH:BoM?
CrypticIdentity
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by CrypticIdentity »

I think this has something to do with the idiotic idea they had of "Oh! Let's release three Silent Hill products within a week of each other! I can't see how this could go wrong in the slightest." I mean, Downpour was pushed back a similar amount of time from its original release date in October last year, so I don't think this is a case of vaporware necessarily. Honestly, I was surprised when they said it would be ready so soon. Yeah, they may have wanted to release it around the time the Vita came out, but to me it seemed really soon after the game was even announced. Considering the game has in some ways been built from the ground up in terms of gameplay, it doesn't surprise me that they need some more time to finish it, especially since the gameplay is so different from previous SH games.

But yeah, part of it probably has to do with giving people's moneys some time to breathe after Downpour and the HD Collection. As for "why October," I think Augophthalmoses' is on the right track--to coincide with the movie's release.
Thommy Razor
Just Passing Through

Post by Thommy Razor »

Well, the guys at Gamestop just informed me that BOM is indeed delayed again. They told me Oct. 1st is the new date. No amount of finger crossing helped that one, apparently.
If I may rant for a moment, BOM is (embarassingly) the reason I bought the Vita, as it was scheduled to be a launch title. I could've really used that money elsewhere and bought it more conveniently this October, but I'm a freakishly obsessed SH fan and the thought of a game existing that I couldn't play was driving me nuts.
Luckily, Mortal Kombat rocks. End rant. Cheers!
Huh. Radio. Whats going on with that radio?
Typographenia

Post by Typographenia »

WelcomeToNowhere wrote:^Why not? Do you remember the legendary Duke Nukem Forever vaporware debacle? They had a mostly-finished beta of the game in 1999, and it was scheduled to come out "next year" for something like twelve years; why couldn't a less severe iteration of vaporwear-ing happen to SH:BoM?
There's a major difference between saying "next year" and having a date within a week or two of release being changed.
3DRealms is very clearly not a standard case. Considering the lead design platform was the PC, and many of their initial delays were to take advantage of changing technology and software, I find it highly unlikely that was the case for WF. Not to mention, the studio was horribly mismanaged for years, and they could only afford to keep the charade up for as long as they did because they had a publisher like TakeTwo funding them. Besides, Duke Nukem wasn't vaporware. It was just the result of terrible dev processes and people that obviously didn't care enough about their jobs.

Why can't it be vaporware? How about because it was literally days away from release and they were taking preorders for it? Vaporware tends to never leave initial announcement/trailer stages. Not to mention, I doubt people from WayForward would bother coming on to a SH forum to promote and discuss a title they were never really working on.

If it truly has been pushed back to October, I would lay my bet on it either being one of two things-
1. It needed some serious QA (doubt it)
2. Konami realized what a terrible mistake they made in pushing all three titles at once in March, and they're hoping to soften the blow a little by going back to their regular window for the release.

Seems crazy to hold off that long, but maybe they're also banking on E3 helping to get the public excited for the Vita again and have a larger install base to pitch the game to when they release in Oct.
WelcomeToNowhere
Brookhaven Receptionist

^I don't know about the other things you mentioned, but to answer one question, this just appeared in my facebook newsfeed.
The Konami Social Team wrote: Dear Silent Hill fans,

Due to unfortunate circumstances, the franchise’s debut on the PS Vita, Silent Hill: Book of Memories, has been delayed to October of this year. We deeply apologize for this delay and hope to further update you on the development soon. Thank you for your continued patience.
If the tone and phrasing is anything to go by, it sounds like they're delaying the release for technical issues. There aren't a whole lot of reasons to use "unfortunate circumstances" unless it's serious. They may have discovered a game-breaking bug somewhere in the coding, like they might have accidentally not remembered to program in the multiplayer. I remember that almost happened to a game before, but not which.
Adam_WF
Just Passing Through

Post by Adam_WF »

It's not Vaporware. ;)
clips
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by clips »

Hmmm...i was initially going to say that i agree with Augo in that they are releasing it in time for the movie, but the tone of that konami announcement seems like there are other critical technical issues that need to be sorted out. Hopefully it'll still be a good look for them.

Isn't RE6 coming out around that time as well? Hopefully the game won't get buried by the attraction and blitz that game will bring. If so at the very least the new movie will garner interest in the series and i'm almost positive we'll see tv spots and trailers for that movie as i'm sure the folks handling the marketing for the movie is seperate from konami's gaming marketing division which is extremely lackluster....

The promotion for the movie should help the movie and BOM at the same time since i'm sure konami won't pony up the funds to promote BOM in the way that they marketed Downpour....
Typographenia

Post by Typographenia »

WelcomeToNowhere wrote:If the tone and phrasing is anything to go by, it sounds like they're delaying the release for technical issues. There aren't a whole lot of reasons to use "unfortunate circumstances" unless it's serious. They may have discovered a game-breaking bug somewhere in the coding, like they might have accidentally not remembered to program in the multiplayer. I remember that almost happened to a game before, but not which.
No offense, but you're extrapolating exactly what you want to hear from that. It's an extremely vague PR message simply saying "we're delaying until a later date."
"Unfortunate circumstances" could literally be anything. That's not to say discovering they need more QA is beyond reason, but you're jumping to conclusions on something that gives no indication one way or the other.
Adam_WF wrote:It's not Vaporware. ;)
Thanks, Adam.