Why BoM WON'T kill the series

Come here to talk about the Book of Memories.

Moderator: Moderators

thy_butcher
Brookhaven Receptionist

Re: Why BoM WON'T kill the series

Post by thy_butcher »

I totally think BoM warrants its own section on the forum.
AuraTwilight
Historical Society Historian

Post by AuraTwilight »

BoM warrants it's own section on the forum because there's so much goddamn conversation about it. Otherwise the Silent Hill Media subforum would be utterly ripped a new one.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
thy_butcher
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by thy_butcher »

Here's a great interview with Adam Tierney & Tomm Hulett from Rely On Horror. It's about an hour long, but it's insightful & an overall very good listen.
http://www.relyonhorror.com/in-depth/in ... m-tierney/

It has me super excited.
0uiled
Just Passing Through

Post by 0uiled »

Deer Rest FOA wrote:Looks so unlike Silent Hill. Something tells me they just slap the name on games that are already very popular so people will buy it. Obvious tactic is obvious.

Like how Operation Raccoon City had zilch to do with the RE mainstream games, confusing us all with its theories and plot twists that will go nowhere. That and we all know how the companies just make action horror games instead of the ones that focus on isolation and scares. I doubt Book will scare anyone!
I doubt they'd just stick the name on it just like that.

Operation Raccoon City is an obvious spinoff of 2 and 3 like chronicles, outbreak, and gun survivor.
I think we should really rethink the whole isolation thing because we can still get scared with others.
Silent Hill is like a living thing and the fans are it's blood.
Silent Hill will lose blood time to time but it won't die that easily.
It can still make new blood.
thy_butcher
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by thy_butcher »

The game seems like it was clearly meant to be a Silent Hill game from the get-go.
It's very different from other SH's, but it most certainly is one.

Is it "Silent Hill-y?" I don't know. That's subjective. It's all perception.
facukun
Just Passing Through

Post by facukun »

I think many fans are against the game because of its gameplay. From a survival horror that burned every nerve in your brain, to a multiplayer arcade action game, which main goal is kill monsters and get superpowers...
They can understand that it's an spinoff and all that kind of stuff, but fans can't stand this kind of things under the words "Silent Hill".

As i will wait and give the game a chance, I must admit that i'm one of those fans too, even for an spinoff and a game that has nothing to do with the SH universe and story, it still remains the name.
Augophthalmoses
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Augophthalmoses »

facukun wrote:but fans can't stand this kind of things under the words "Silent Hill".
Then that's their problem for taking the series more seriously that they ought to. When you start developing this little idea of "purity" in a video game series and reject everything as tainting said purity anytime it takes someone out of their comfort zone that person is just not worth listening to. More so when you can simply choose to not purchase it, ignore its existence, and play the games you actually like.

It's dangerous thinking like what you've mentioned that has the potential to kill innovation in a series and it's best left out of the industry altogether.
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

Augophthalmoses wrote:
facukun wrote:but fans can't stand this kind of things under the words "Silent Hill".
Then that's their problem for taking the series more seriously that they ought to. When you start developing this little idea of "purity" in a video game series and reject everything as tainting said purity anytime it takes someone out of their comfort zone that person is just not worth listening to. More so when you can simply choose to not purchase it, ignore its existence, and play the games you actually like.

It's dangerous thinking like what you've mentioned that has the potential to kill innovation in a series and it's best left out of the industry altogether.
I completely second this.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Sometimes Augo says shit that makes me want to shapeshift into a girl, seduce him in the night, and give birth to more mini-Augos.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Soulless-Shadow
Subway Guard

Post by Soulless-Shadow »

Augophthalmoses wrote:

I completely agree.

I have to admit though, I dislike what I have read about BoM so far. Of course, that's just because I dislike games with those elements in general, not because it has those things while also being a SH title. I dislike dungeon crawlers, I dislike multi-player, etc etc. If anything though, the SH title makes me slightly more likely to check it out rather than ignore it completely like I normally would a game like this.
Droo

Post by Droo »

It's not the "innovation" of BoM that I hate. It's how freaking terrible the game looks like it's going to be. It looks awkward, silly, and jarring.

If I was "innovation" aversive I wouldn't be as big a fan of The Room and Shattered Memories as I am.
"Oh yeah, I've been here before
I can see it with eyes closed
Shadows that look like blood
Dead as far as the mind goes
Fear that comes from my head
Lives in the mirror"
Piramit Kafa
Just Passing Through

Post by Piramit Kafa »

BoM won't kill the series because it has no such power to do so. It's just a cheap looking spin-off which I will gladly ignore and pretend like it never happened. People on the other hand have a right to enjoy whatever they want. If they want to play this, why not?

If this was the next Silent Hill game in the main series I guess then we could talk about it but it's not. So there's no reason to worry.
There was a SIGNATURE here. It's gone now.
Droo

Post by Droo »

I want to point out that despite my severe apprehension about BoM, I really would love it if it comes out and surprises us all positively with its quality. I do plan to eventually play it and will do so with as open a mind as I can.
Lives in the mirror"
Mephisto

Post by Mephisto »

I shouldn't get my hopes up 'cause I have no desire to buy a VITA but the game doesn't look that bad, you know...
Droo

Post by Droo »

Its release on the Vita is definitely going to limit its potential success significantly. When you have diminishing returns on main console entries releasing it on a system seventeen people own seems like a poor idea. If they wanted to move some units, they should release it on PSN.
Lives in the mirror"
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

Droo wrote:Its release on the Vita is definitely going to limit its potential success significantly. When you have diminishing returns on main console entries releasing it on a system seventeen people own seems like a poor idea. If they wanted to move some units, they should release it on PSN.
As much as I'm excited for it--it's one of the reasons I'm going to get a Vita--I completely agree.
Droo

Post by Droo »

What are some of your others? Save for Uncharted and this I haven't seen much for the Vita that interests me. Are many games even being made for it in the first place?
Lives in the mirror"
Jonipoon
Subway Guard

Post by Jonipoon »

Have you guys noticed the concept art for some of the "new" characters? When you put them all together, it kind of looks like a wannabe Scooby-Doo team or something.

Image Image
Image Image

Well, I dont like it. It just seems so cartoonish, teeny, emo and boring.
I EAT GALAXIES FOR BREAKFAST.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

You realize those are all just extreme examples, right?
Hydra666
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Hydra666 »

AuraTwilight wrote:You realize those are all just extreme examples, right?
It doesn't changes the fact that they look like clowns.