Silent Hills / PT Team

Come here to chat about Kojima's now sadly defunct Silent Hills.

Moderator: Moderators

Mis Krist.
Historical Society Historian

Re: Silent Hills / PT Team

Post by Mis Krist. »

I felt burnt out on Yamaoka until I listened to Shadows of the Damned's OST. People who are griping about him should probably go listen to it, along with the game rip (should they be able to find one -- Youtube has lots of stuff). That stuff was approaching Mike Patton-tier shrieking. Quite good.

The only other composer I could see touching the new game is Hitomi Shimizu, who composed for Siren and Siren's PS3 remake. She's great.

Either way, the workers we've got on the team so far are fine enough for me. Yamaoka would just be a cherry on top at this point.
I'm not dead yet, dammit.
otto2302
Just Passing Through

Post by otto2302 »

Little Wise Owl wrote:Edit: Out of curiosity sake, has anyone contacted Ito about it via Twitter lately?
I have contacted Ito via twitter but he hasn't replied. He has been active on twitter after that though.
Below wrote:Not sure about twitter, but a handful of people have contacted him through his personal blog, so I'm sure there've been efforts elsewhere as well. Makes me feel guilty just thinking about it.
I believe you are referring to Nobu_bbs? He is not active there anymore, I have talked with him about that. He just keeps the art site updated but not the bbs anymore. I think only way to reach him is either twitter or his pixiv. And the pixiv is quite.. poorly created site, lots of ads and redirecting links etc. He has nice art there though.
Last edited by otto2302 on 18 Aug 2014, edited 1 time in total.
Artstation

"It comes from nowhere to awaken the man with pyramid helmet to his mission".
Kenji

Post by Kenji »

I could talk to him... but I always get this feeling that, unless I'm talking about what he's interested in right now (Soviet Russia, Acid Bufferzone, various Western topics... I actually suggested a book to him, once, and he appreciated the thought), then I'm just wasting his time.

I dunno... I don't want to be like every other English-speaking follower and ask him about Silent Hill. :? Does that make any sense?

So, I usually just watch what he says passively.
otto2302
Just Passing Through

Post by otto2302 »

Kenji wrote:I could talk to him... but I always get this feeling that, unless I'm talking about what he's interested in right now (Soviet Russia, Acid Bufferzone, various Western topics...
I dunno... I don't want to be like every other English-speaking follower and ask him about Silent Hill. :? Does that make any sense?
It does. If I ask him something Silent Hill related, I get the feeling that I'm repeating the same questions to him over and over again. But then again he is proud of his work and does new Pyramid Head related art every now and then, so I don't think he is gotten sick of it.
Artstation

"It comes from nowhere to awaken the man with pyramid helmet to his mission".
Skele
Subway Guard

Post by Skele »

I really liked some of the songs off of Homecoming's OST, "Living in Fear" and "Witchcraft" being a couple of faves. I definitely think Yamaoka needed a break from SH, if he came back I wouldn't be opposed to it, nor would I be heartbroken if they go in another direction.
jdnation

Post by jdnation »

I'm thinking this is how it will play out.

KOJIMA PRODUCTIONS LOS ANGELES STUDIO -
- Del Toro co-producer.
- Del Toro is the story/cutscene director.
- Mo-cap on stage in studio.
- Norman Reedus and other actors work here in-house for story portions mo-cap.
- Reedus & other VA recording at KP LA recording studio for additional gameplay VA
- Additional gameplay asset/animation creation

KOJIMA PRODUCTIONS JAPAN STUDIO-
- Hideo Kojima Producer
- Kojima oversees game design
- Game director T.B.A. most likely one of Japanese staff.
- Mo-cap at KP for in-game character/creature animation using other physical actors.
- General game development pipeline done here.
- Japanese dub VA under Kojima's direction.

I'm guessing the story will be a collaborative process between East & West studios. Multiple writers with input from both Kojima and Del Toro, but bulk of writing will be handled by either someone Del Toro knows in LA to be the lead cohesive vision for it. I'd guess a good chunk of this is already done with details yet T.B.A. I suppose in a way Del Toro finally gets to make his Silent Hill 'movie' only within a game by handling the story cutscenes.
Skele
Subway Guard

Post by Skele »

I hope Del Toro gets to make an actual Silent Hill movie. If this game is a huge success, he may very well get that chance.
Vestu
Just Passing Through

Post by Vestu »

Skele wrote:I really liked some of the songs off of Homecoming's OST, "Living in Fear" and "Witchcraft" being a couple of faves. I definitely think Yamaoka needed a break from SH, if he came back I wouldn't be opposed to it, nor would I be heartbroken if they go in another direction.
Homecoming soundtrack is often over-looked. In addition to the ones you mentioned, the doll boss music is horrifyingly haunting. Can't remember the title though. Maybe Scarlet?

That being said, I wouldn't mind a completely new composer who could bring something groundbreaking to the atmosphere.
Just passing through since 2007.
Skele
Subway Guard

Post by Skele »

Vestu wrote: Homecoming soundtrack is often over-looked. In addition to the ones you mentioned, the doll boss music is horrifyingly haunting. Can't remember the title though. Maybe Scarlet?
Yeah, I think it was called "Scarlet." I used to have that soundtrack, but I lost it when my galaxy player was accidentally erased, and I didn't have a backup for it.
Little Wise Owl
Just Passing Through

Post by Little Wise Owl »

Akira states that he would "be happy" to work on Silent Hills. Article Here.
Redklok
Just Passing Through

Post by Redklok »

I actually wasn't that surprised to hear about the new announcement of a new SH title because there was an interview with Akira Yamaoka on the Konami website about SH music like at the end of July this year. That would've been very random if this wasn't followed up by at least some announcement. What did surprise me however is the way they announced it and the names that are involved (even though it was already hinted that Kojima had a good chance of being involved a year ago).

Speaking of which, I would be surprised if Akira Yamaoka is not involved in the studio. I'm 99% sure he's already involved one way or another and these announcements might be to raise the awareness (a marketing trick). They brought in the big guns to revive the series so it wouldn't make much sense if they didn't bring him in. (Still like someone suggested it would be brilliant to have Trent Reznor give it a go as OST composer)

Yeah so I'm pretty sure he's in. Only thing that is missing is Masahiro Ito and I would give one of my kidneys to experience that game.
Reverend
Just Passing Through

Post by Reverend »

Ito must be getting a barrage of twitter questions like Akira is. Perhaps the fact he hasn't said anything is also good news?

Edit: that said I can't read Japanese. Maybe he has said something?
Alexius Corvinus
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Alexius Corvinus »

I would really like to know who composed the PT soundtrack. It sounds like Akira's SH 1-4 tracks.
Mephisto

Post by Mephisto »

Skele wrote:
Vestu wrote: Homecoming soundtrack is often over-looked. In addition to the ones you mentioned, the doll boss music is horrifyingly haunting. Can't remember the title though. Maybe Scarlet?
Yeah, I think it was called "Scarlet." I used to have that soundtrack, but I lost it when my galaxy player was accidentally erased, and I didn't have a backup for it.
Just get it from Youtube. One of our "celebrities" from the SH community, stripedlady, has all the soundtracks available.
Skele
Subway Guard

Post by Skele »

Mephisto wrote:

Just get it from Youtube. One of our "celebrities" from the SH community, stripedlady, has all the soundtracks available.
Sweet, thanks!
dias17se
Just Passing Through

Post by dias17se »

I think it´s interesting how much more visibility this is having compared to Downpour, i´m seeing lp´ers videos of PT all over youtube with 500.000 views that´s sick... obviously Kojima, Del Toro and Walking dead fanboys being pulled to SH.
fudgestix

Post by fudgestix »

dias17se wrote:I think it´s interesting how much more visibility this is having compared to Downpour, i´m seeing lp´ers videos of PT all over youtube with 500.000 views that´s sick... obviously Kojima, Del Toro and Walking dead fanboys being pulled to SH.
I think the style of teaser helps too. The teaser itself is similar in style to a lot of the current 'scary' LP favourites, and everyone wants to be internet famous these days so hence the bandwagon.

They definitely knew how to market this thing. Even without the names attached, I could imagine this blowing up over youtube/twitch.
THE RULES! [click me and learn]
"I think I'd prefer a sword over a penis anyday." - Wigeke
Mxpn - Restless Night (bandcamp)
dias17se
Just Passing Through

Post by dias17se »

Agree Fudgestix, but Norman Reedus fans can´t be diminished, he is the thing going on on Tv and i´m sure it drags a lot of views/ interest just with his name. Walking dead has a millions fanbase.

Agree again that teaser was very well marketed. Kojima knows how to drag fanbases, he also used Keifer Sutherland for new Metal Gear. More people into the game = more people buying it.
FrankRD
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by FrankRD »

I'm not sure if this is where I'm supposed to post this, but if they want to go for a new composer, I would have no problem if Mica Levi took the job, his work for the movie Under the Skin was amazing, bizzare, creepy, everything:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFTM6xseawc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKlR__Owquo
Its Gone Now
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Its Gone Now »

Only just seen this!!!

Like it a lot :D

Shota Hirasawa is an excellent choice, anyone who has seen the intros to Demons/Dark souls (most notably Dark souls 1&2) will know we are talking EPIC here.

I hope he actually ends up doing it, we know how quick things can change.

If Akira comes back to town then I'm all for it, if he did indeed work on P.T the he has made it clear that he is enthused and can keep it fresh yet familiar.

Whoever did P.T, they'll do just fine.

Team Kojima: Assemble