Again, why are people hyping this nonsense?

Come here to chat about Kojima's now sadly defunct Silent Hills.

Moderator: Moderators

stonecoldsteveurkel
Just Passing Through

Again, why are people hyping this nonsense?

Post by stonecoldsteveurkel »

Where's the gameplay? Doesn't seem like you can interact very much with the environment or any real puzzles. Opening drawers, turning on faucets, or whatever. It's basically just walk around, look at a bunch of pretty graphics, get a jumpscare, open some doors, rinse and repeat. And no, don't you dare respond with 'but Silent Hill isn't about gameplay!'

Have standards fallen this low that fanboys will hype up anything as long as it isn't made by the unholy Westerners? I'll extend the middle finger and hold it high for the fanboys overhyping this gibberish.
KingCrimson
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Re: Again, why are people hyping this nonsense?

Post by KingCrimson »

Ever play The Stanley Parable? That's why. We've had Silent Hill games with an over-emphasis on the kind of tactile interaction you want, but no substance or suspense, for years now. The first few games wouldn't have been any better if you could flip lights on and off. Having too much control over your environment can ruin the fear aspect.
DistantJ
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DistantJ »

It's a puzzle and a teaser. It's not anything to do with the full game... and it's amazing. It's about finding things, working things out, and co-operating online with the rest of the world to try and decipher the mysteries, all the while being freaking terrified.

If you've watched a stream/Let's Play, you've kind of missed the experience, it was all about the not knowing, the discomfort, trying to work these things out whilst that... THING is stalking you... and the sense of achievement when you move onto the next enigma. These mind-bending puzzles and mysteries and their abstract clues are a far better goal to achieve in one of these small horror games than the 'find 8 things' trope every other one of these uses now.

To me, you're just saying "It's not the same as everything else, that makes it bad!"
Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song, and there's always music in the air.
Matt S
Gravedigger

Post by Matt S »

stonecoldsteveurkel wrote: Again, why are people hyping this nonsense?
Where's the gameplay? Doesn't seem like you can interact very much with the environment or any real puzzles. Opening drawers, turning on faucets, or whatever. It's basically just walk around, look at a bunch of pretty graphics, get a jumpscare, open some doors, rinse and repeat. And no, don't you dare respond with 'but Silent Hill isn't about gameplay!'

Have standards fallen this low that fanboys will hype up anything as long as it isn't made by the unholy Westerners? I'll extend the middle finger and hold it high for the fanboys overhyping this gibberish.
You are coming off as a troll. Most people seem to dig it, or dig what they were trying to do with it. Honestly, if you want to be this negative, I can think of another board perfect for you
RIP Silent Hills
Huknar
Just Passing Through

Post by Huknar »

Because the gameplay is just an interactive teaser and is confirmed to be unrelated to the main game, meaning there is still a lot of time and hope to see all the Silent Hill details we are looking for, but at the same time we can be excited about what has been shown already.

Basically we've gotten a short experimental game that proves Kojima Productions can do horror. They say it themselves that it's not part of the Silent Hill game, but what it does show is a lot of potential. It has all the right elements and is a graphical masterpiece (and apparently it was downscaled graphically too! They can do better!).

How can this not be hyped? After eight years of terrible, terrible Silent Hill games, things really start looking brighter.
Matt S
Gravedigger

Post by Matt S »

Huknar wrote:Because the gameplay is just an interactive teaser and is confirmed to be unrelated to the main game, meaning there is still a lot of time and hope to see all the Silent Hill details we are looking for, but at the same time we can be excited about what has been shown already.

Basically we've gotten a short experimental game that proves Kojima Productions can do horror. They say it themselves that it's not part of the Silent Hill game, but what it does show is a lot of potential. It has all the right elements and is a graphical masterpiece (and apparently it was downscaled graphically too! They can do better!).

How can this not be hyped? After eight years of terrible, terrible Silent Hill games, things really start looking brighter.
That's it. For myself, I am super hyped due to the creative talent, the creativity that was on display in PT, and the fact that I assume this will be the first triple AAA SH game since at least 2001. Sorry, SH3 you were good, but not triple AAA budget or anything
RIP Silent Hills
Tillerman
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Tillerman »

Matt S wrote:That's it. For myself, I am super hyped due to the creative talent, the creativity that was on display in PT, and the fact that I assume this will be the first triple AAA SH game since at least 2001. Sorry, SH3 you were good, but not triple AAA budget or anything
Well art design doesn't age, so SH3 will always look good.

But yeah, since we know this is not meant to be representative of the actual game, there's no need to worry. The teaser definitely did what it set out to do in spades: get attention and buzz going, and show that Kojima's team can do horror. As long as the actual game is in 3rd person, I feel very hopeful that it could be great.
Huknar
Just Passing Through

Post by Huknar »

Tillerman wrote:
Matt S wrote:That's it. For myself, I am super hyped due to the creative talent, the creativity that was on display in PT, and the fact that I assume this will be the first triple AAA SH game since at least 2001. Sorry, SH3 you were good, but not triple AAA budget or anything
Well art design doesn't age, so SH3 will always look good.

But yeah, since we know this is not meant to be representative of the actual game, there's no need to worry. The teaser definitely did what it set out to do in spades: get attention and buzz going, and show that Kojima's team can do horror. As long as the actual game is in 3rd person, I feel very hopeful that it could be great.
You don't think a first person Silent Hill experience could be great? I used to think the same, but Silent Hill 4, P.T and my own experiments make me believe it could be fantastic. Yes, we lose that movie-like feel. Those awesome camera pans and fixed angles that do help to portray the horror. But on the other hand the game no longer is a game and it becomes personal. We are the ones inside the game, with extremely limited vision (Third person allows you to see all around your character.)

The only thing that makes me worry with first person though is seeing enemies up close. That could kind of destroy the fear as the creatures ambiguity is what made them terrifying initially.
NanayaShiki
SHH Cult & SHHF Moderator
SHH Cult & SHHF Moderator

Post by NanayaShiki »

stonecoldsteveurkel wrote:Where's the gameplay? Doesn't seem like you can interact very much with the environment or any real puzzles. Opening drawers, turning on faucets, or whatever. It's basically just walk around, look at a bunch of pretty graphics, get a jumpscare, open some doors, rinse and repeat. And no, don't you dare respond with 'but Silent Hill isn't about gameplay!'

We get it dude, you aren't excited. You've said why several times now. You're allowed to not be excited but all you are doing now is throwing a fit that everyone doesn't agree with you.

Just going to go ahead and put this here.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/ ... gets-Anger
I don't agree with everything that man says and I certainly don't agree with his opinions on every video game, but very often he hits the ball out of the bark with these types of episodes.

Like, I don't get why you want to make a thread to yell at people for being excited and liking a thing. They like it, you don't. Explain why, sure, but you've done it a few times now and this thread just seems petty.

Also, like... at least wait until you see something from the game before you start shitting on it.
Huknar wrote:How can this not be hyped? After eight years of terrible, terrible Silent Hill games, things really start looking brighter.
Hey now, Shattered Memories and Downpour are two of my favorite games in the series and Book of Memories was a very fun little spin-off. That being said, I do agree that this definitely is bringing a breath of fresh air to things.

Also, you know, people love Kojima and Del Toro. A lot of people are excited to see people they love working on something they love.
Sith_Dreamer
Just Passing Through

Post by Sith_Dreamer »

Why are we hyping it?

1. The teaser was actually very unsettling. It induced a sense of fear I haven't felt in the series since SH4. Not saying 0rigins-Downpour didn't have those moments, but I mean I was nearly constantly unsettled.

2. Hideo Kojima. He's not a video game god or anything, but he has a great track record, and we've been hearing about his passion to do a SH game for a while now.

3. Guillermo Del Toro. I will admit, his track record has its ups and downs. The Hellboy films are some of my favorites, Pan's Labyrinth is quite amazing, and Pacific Rim is an underrated sci-fi action film. All of these have great designs and well paced stories. He does have a few missteps, Don't Be Afraid of the Dark wasn't great but still had great design choices. His next film, Crimson Peak, looks to be a good horror film as well.

3. Norman Reedus. We don't know how this game will play yet, but as our first big name attached to a game franchise, it's a good choice. Reedus was great in the Boondock Saints films, and like or hate The Walking Dead (I enjoy it), Daryl is basically a mainstay at this point. He has a good acting range, and it'll be fun to see him put forward a good video game performance. (Looking at you TWD: Survival Instinct.)

4. It's a new Silent Hill. This one is just my own opinion, but I've become so tired of the "1,2,3" elitists. Not speaking of here, I mostly lurk here so I haven't gotten to know too many users, but other boards I visit have so many people obsessed over the first 3, and take little notice of the others, save occasionally for 4. I don't hate this people, but people in general need to stay open minded, especially with the talent behind this.

5. If you didn't care for this, it's mostly a proof of concept. This likely won't be the full game, and I'm sure they won't pull extremely off the beaten SH path, but I expect a load of new gameplay features to be debuted here as well.
"Once More the Sith Shall Rule the Galaxy!"- Palpatine
"Welcome to My Nightmare!"- Freddy Krueger
Tillerman
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Tillerman »

Huknar wrote:You don't think a first person Silent Hill experience could be great? I used to think the same, but Silent Hill 4, P.T and my own experiments make me believe it could be fantastic. Yes, we lose that movie-like feel. Those awesome camera pans and fixed angles that do help to portray the horror. But on the other hand the game no longer is a game and it becomes personal. We are the ones inside the game, with extremely limited vision (Third person allows you to see all around your character.)
I don't get where the "it feels more personal" comes from. For me, I want a character on screen that I can see... it gives me something to connect to. That feels much more personal to me. When a game is first person, it feels like there's no main character. It seems like they want you to feel like you are the main character, but that doesn't really work for Silent Hill where you have a main character with a story (which we know will be the case.) Especially for Silent Hill where the story is usually a big deal, it would seem absolutely critical to me to be able to see your character so you can build up a connection with him.

Also I just don't like the way movement feels in most 1st person games. There's a floaty feeling to it, as if you're just a camera floating in space. It doesn't feel like you're there, to me. I like the way 3rd person games feel better. And as you say, the potential for cinematic camera angles is excellent for atmosphere, and that is missing in 1st person games as well.
Huknar
Just Passing Through

Post by Huknar »

NanayaShiki wrote:Hey now, Shattered Memories and Downpour are two of my favorite games in the series and Book of Memories was a very fun little spin-off. That being said, I do agree that this definitely is bringing a breath of fresh air to things.
I struggle to count Shattered Memories as a good Silent Hill game. I shan't lie, I think it's a good game, just it is too different to the ever-so-important series staples to count as a Silent Hill title for me. For starters it's too darn clean!

Downpour is an odd thing. I think it's the same scenario. A good little game but not SIlent Hill. But then I think that is down to two aspects. The enemy designs (for the series, they are some of the most lacking, terrible designs ever to grace the screens.) and the gameplay. There are weird elements in that the otherworld sequences are too much a minigame and the last thing you want is a horror game feeling like a damn game! And the puzzles are...to be honest, I can't really remember them. The experience just feels so gamey between avoiding roaming police cars (that still makes me laugh even to this day.), sidequests and checkpoints(Something I SERIOUSLY hope Silent HIlls does not have. Checkpoints are a bane to survival horror. Especially in a game that is scary because of its atmosphere. I always found having to go back down dark corridors just to get to a save point and turn the game off was terrifying. You were forced to play just that little bit more. Loved savepoints.)

I enjoyed my time with Downpour, but it never quite felt right. It's better than Homecoming because it doesn't feel like a caricature of the series but it just wasn't very scary. Between creature design, puzzle design (come on, where are those creepy cryptic puzzles that are rather abstract and strange in such a way that makes you uncomfortable) and darkness. Good grief, why is nothing dark anymore in Silent Hill! *pulls out hair*

Book of Memories is in no way a Silent Hill game though. You can spin it all you like but it is just a minigame. They don't even do a good job at honouring the name at all. Steel guardians? Wood guardians? Blood guardians? Dark and light essences? Puh-lease. >.>
Sith_Dreamer
Just Passing Through

Post by Sith_Dreamer »

Tillerman wrote:
Huknar wrote:You don't think a first person Silent Hill experience could be great? I used to think the same, but Silent Hill 4, P.T and my own experiments make me believe it could be fantastic. Yes, we lose that movie-like feel. Those awesome camera pans and fixed angles that do help to portray the horror. But on the other hand the game no longer is a game and it becomes personal. We are the ones inside the game, with extremely limited vision (Third person allows you to see all around your character.)
I don't get where the "it feels more personal" comes from. For me, I want a character on screen that I can see... it gives me something to connect to. That feels much more personal to me. When a game is first person, it feels like there's no main character. It seems like they want you to feel like you are the main character, but that doesn't really work for Silent Hill where you have a main character with a story (which we know will be the case.) Especially for Silent Hill where the story is usually a big deal, it would seem absolutely critical to me to be able to see your character so you can build up a connection with him.

Also I just don't like the way movement feels in most 1st person games. There's a floaty feeling to it, as if you're just a camera floating in space. It doesn't feel like you're there, to me. I like the way 3rd person games feel better. And as you say, the potential for cinematic camera angles is excellent for atmosphere, and that is missing in 1st person games as well.
While I agree on your point on "you-as-the-character" not working in a SH game, I think it works fine here since its only a demo, and not likely part of the finished game. Plus, while other games have used voices and such for main or side characters, I feel like they went out of their way to show Norman Reedus mocapped in the trailer for it not to end up a third person, or mix, of the two styles.

That said, I'm not huge on the idea of a fully first person SH game, but one thing I will defend is that the horror felt very real. Now while there weren't traditional SH enemies, the fact that you didn't have a view behind you at all if something was creeping up was terrifying. Not having anything but what you could see in front of you was a pretty good way to ratchet up the tension, and I enjoyed that.
"Once More the Sith Shall Rule the Galaxy!"- Palpatine
"Welcome to My Nightmare!"- Freddy Krueger
Tillerman
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Tillerman »

Huknar wrote:I struggle to count Shattered Memories as a good Silent Hill game. I shan't lie, I think it's a good game, just it is too different to the ever-so-important series staples to count as a Silent Hill title for me. For starters it's too darn clean!
Well, we all have different opinions. Personally I hate Shattered Memories, I think it's one of the worst. Downpour I think is the best of the western Silent Hills, but still inferior to the first 4 games. You're right that the enemy designs are pretty terrible, and I don't like the otherworld sequences either. It is better than Homecoming, but that's not saying much because that is easily the worst.
Sith_Dreamer wrote:That said, I'm not huge on the idea of a fully first person SH game, but one thing I will defend is that the horror felt very real. Now while there weren't traditional SH enemies, the fact that you didn't have a view behind you at all if something was creeping up was terrifying. Not having anything but what you could see in front of you was a pretty good way to ratchet up the tension, and I enjoyed that.
Yeah, that's true, but even in a 3rd person game you still can't see behind you. You can see a few feet behind you, but there's still a massive blindspot in what you can see. That blind spot would be bigger in a 1st person game, but I don't think it's worth the trade-off, personally.

And of course, the biggest reason not to go first person is because that's what all the modern horror games are doing, and if Silent Hill does it, it will just be called an Outlast ripoff. Which would be depressing.
golden filter
Just Passing Through

Post by golden filter »

cos suck it thats why
AuraTwilight
Historical Society Historian

Post by AuraTwilight »

It's almost like the Playable Teaser is PLAYABLE TEASER or something. Wow. I wonder why it's so hyped.

it's a glorified graphics demo, dude, readjust your knickers.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Skele
Subway Guard

Post by Skele »

Can we close this in order to stop feeding the troll?
KingCrimson
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by KingCrimson »

Skele wrote:Can we close this in order to stop feeding the troll?
I dunno, I think it's a legitimate topic. In all the other threads, there are side-discussions about the other games in the series and being disappointed in the past, so maybe it has its place. Not in the way the OP brought it up, though.
alone in the town
Historical Society Historian

Post by alone in the town »

KingCrimson wrote:
Skele wrote:Can we close this in order to stop feeding the troll?
I dunno, I think it's a legitimate topic. In all the other threads, there are side-discussions about the other games in the series and being disappointed in the past, so maybe it has its place. Not in the way the OP brought it up, though.
Having a thread to express a negative opinion of the game is quite legitimate, but that's not what this thread is.

The OP is being a troll and ought to rein it in now. You can express a negative opinion of a game, but this thread is clearly intended to "extend the middle finger and hold it high". That is going to stop. Consider this a friendly suggestion.
Solaire
Just Passing Through

Post by Solaire »

No need to worry just yet, the demo was just Kojima flexing his horror muscle. It has nothing to do with Silent Hills. He even admitted that he toned down the graphics to make it look like an indie horror.

The series is finally getting that big AAA budget it deserves and people are excited. :D