New composer?

Come here to chat about Kojima's now sadly defunct Silent Hills.

Moderator: Moderators

JKristine35
Subway Guard

New composer?

Post by JKristine35 »

Assuming the devs listed at the end of the demo are working on Silent Hills, and not just the one demo, then the new composer would be Ludvig Forssell. This choice shouldn't be surprising, since he's worked with Kojima before on MGS. Here's a look at his IMDb page:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm5603882/
aj4x94
Historical Society Historian

Re: New composer?

Post by aj4x94 »

JKristine35 wrote:Assuming the devs listed at the end of the demo are working on Silent Hills, and not just the one demo, then the new composer would be Ludvig Forssell. This choice shouldn't be surprising, since he's worked with Kojima before on MGS. Here's a look at his IMDb page:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm5603882/
I personally wanted Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross. I can't say anything about Ludvig Forssell since what we heard in Ground Zeroes simply isn't enough to judge his work by. (Shrugs) we shall see.
You can take my heart
And hold it together as we fall apart
Maybe together we can make a mark in the stars we embark
And keep us together as the lights go dark
Coercion
Just Passing Through

Post by Coercion »

Takashi Nakagawa is listed in the credits. He's a film composer, so I should think he's helming the task.
[color=green]We fall from womb to tomb, from one blackness and into another, knowing little of one and nothing of the other.[/color]
HillsideSkoomaAddict
Just Passing Through

Post by HillsideSkoomaAddict »

Right now Akira is answering questions on Twitter

https://twitter.com/AkiraYamaoka/status ... 8761409536

Maybe he will confirm whether he's part of the project or not. I certainly hope he is. :D
Matt S
Gravedigger

Post by Matt S »

I am fairly open to who does it. A lot of fans would love Akira back, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't curious about a new composer

Downpour had a new one, from Dexter show I believe, and he did a good job. Not super memorable, but good.
RIP Silent Hills
leftshoe18
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by leftshoe18 »

I was kind of hoping that Licht would return. I really liked his work on Downpour.
Huknar
Just Passing Through

Post by Huknar »

I found Licht's work on Downpour dreadful. Totally uninspired and completely the wrong composer for the series.
Matt S
Gravedigger

Post by Matt S »

Huknar wrote:I found Licht's work on Downpour dreadful. Totally uninspired and completely the wrong composer for the series.
It was 'ok' but not memorable at all for me. Korn was great!!!! kidding
RIP Silent Hills
JKristine35
Subway Guard

Post by JKristine35 »

Takashi Nakagawa was the enemy programmer on MGS V, whereas Forssell was the composer on that game. If Kojima chose Forssell to compose over Nakagawa once, it's unlikely that he wouldn't do it again. It's even possible that the Takashi who composes film music is not the same as the one working at Kojima Productions, since IMDb lists no game credits to the movie composer's name, and the game dev only worked on sound once (just sound, not composing) nearly a decade ago.

http://www.mobygames.com/developer/taka ... Id,277436/
Tillerman
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Tillerman »

I would love to have Akira back. Licht I thought did an underwhelming job, and I wouldn't want to see him come back (but that seems very unlikely anyway.)

I don't know anything about Ludvig Forssell, but if he did the music in the teaser then I think it's pretty encouraging so far (I assumed it was Takashi Nakagawa but apparently not...?) Music is extremely important and I hope that he nails it.
Coercion
Just Passing Through

Post by Coercion »

JKristine35 wrote:Takashi Nakagawa was the enemy programmer on MGS V, whereas Forssell was the composer on that game. If Kojima chose Forssell to compose over Nakagawa once, it's unlikely that he wouldn't do it again. It's even possible that the Takashi who composes film music is not the same as the one working at Kojima Productions, since IMDb lists no game credits to the movie composer's name, and the game dev only worked on sound once (just sound, not composing) nearly a decade ago.

http://www.mobygames.com/developer/taka ... Id,277436/
Ooh, good catch. Well, to be completely honest, I'm just desperately hoping for a return of the ost king- so to speak. Come back, Akira!
[color=green]We fall from womb to tomb, from one blackness and into another, knowing little of one and nothing of the other.[/color]
Oniros
Just Passing Through

Post by Oniros »

trashbarge
Just Passing Through

Post by trashbarge »

i've assumed the team listed in the credits was strictly the one that worked on the demo. obvs since they're all on the MGSV team they'll likely be involved in the main game, but that doesn't rule out a different composer or additional ones. Akria's been dodging it a bit on twitter, which could mean he's in talks or already involved. or he could just be messing around

definitely would not be heartbroken if Forssell ended up being the main composer tho, i really dig those glitchy-sounding tracks he did for PT
Rev
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Rev »

leftshoe18 wrote:I was kind of hoping that Licht would return. I really liked his work on Downpour.
Same. I'm going to be disappointed if they bring Akira back. Call blasphemy if you will but I started getting sick of most of his scores after Silent Hill 2. Licht had a neat style.
Vixx
Founder & Administrator
Founder & Administrator

Post by Vixx »

I'd be lying if I said having Yamaoka back would be awesome, but I don't understand the issues people had with Licht. I thought he did an amazing job of filling Yamaoka's considerable boots. I'd be happy to see him again.
V xx

© 2003-2024 Vixx. The contents of this post may only be used within the boundaries of silenthillforum.com. Any usage outside of the aforementioned forum is strictly prohibited. No, I can't believe this place is still up and running, either.
Matt S
Gravedigger

Post by Matt S »

Here's how some are reading this one:

Possible

Trust me

PT
Last edited by Matt S on 15 Aug 2014, edited 1 time in total.
RIP Silent Hills
HillsideSkoomaAddict
Just Passing Through

Post by HillsideSkoomaAddict »

I think that Licht focused too much on the prison vibe for the soundtrack. I liked it, but it missed that touch of beauty Akira had in his songs. Most of Akira's cutscene songs were pretty chill and smooth, it gave a really unique atmosphere to the games.

I definitely wouldn't mind if they hired a new composer, but honestly I think that Akira's music is the soul of silent hill.
Rev
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Rev »

Iunno, I kind of felt that the prison vibe was kind of the whole point of the game? And I doubt that it would be as fitting with Akira's usual twangs and same old guitar riffs that he does with every game ever now. I just feel like he's stuck to a formula ever since the Silent Hill 3 soundtrack because the music sounds interchangeable in all the other Silent Hill games. Downpour's was unique, fitting to its central theme and story. I hear music from that game and I can tell it's from that game, which I like.

I'll be disappointed if Akira comes back.
RedPyramidThingy
Just Passing Through

Post by RedPyramidThingy »

For MGSV, Ludvig Forssell collaborated with Harry Gregson-Williams (The usual composer for the Metal Gear Solid games) so I don't think he would be opposed to collaborating again with Akira. Personally I think it would be awesome if Akira came back, not because I don't think anyone else is up to the task, but because I love his creepy music so much.
redrum
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by redrum »

There was suspiciously an interview on 30th July on Konami UK's site

One of the questions was
13) What are your upcoming projects?

Maybe in the near future, I will bring you something new and exciting!
https://uk.games.konami-europe.com/post ... ra-Yamaoka

Keep in mind this interview was done pretty much two weeks before PT (and was suspiciously posted alongside a few more Silent Hill articles).