Possibility of multi-platform?

Come here to chat about Kojima's now sadly defunct Silent Hills.

Moderator: Moderators

Drainage64
My Bestsellers Clerk

Possibility of multi-platform?

Post by Drainage64 »

I've noticed some people saying that the new Silent Hill is going to be a PS4 exclusive, but has this been confirmed? We know that P.T. is exclusive but has their been anything specifically saying that the final game is only coming out for that?

I noticed that MGS V has been announced for Steam recently, so that's colored me hopeful. :D
-=Let's Positive thinking=-
Matt S
Gravedigger

Re: Possibility of multi-platform?

Post by Matt S »

Far as I know, no confirmation, other than the fact PT seems to be on the PS4 store only

I do hope its cross platform. Limiting your audience, even with 10 million PS4's sold seems crazy. I have friends that are PC or bust now, so let's hope PC too, at least

I want this to do crazy well...I want SH back up there as a top Tier franchise again.
Last edited by Matt S on 17 Aug 2014, edited 1 time in total.
RIP Silent Hills
Mephisto
Historical Society Historian

Post by Mephisto »

We have no confirmation yet but who knows?
The game can either be an exclusive for the PS4 for life or it could be a temporary exclusive and go to the XOne and PC later.

I don't think it'll be released for the X360 and PS3 though. Shame.
golden filter
Just Passing Through

Post by golden filter »

"The Fox Engine is a proprietary cross-platform, cross-generational game engine built by Kojima Productions for use in many Konami games."

"The engine makes it possible for Kojima Productions to develop multiplatform games with a significantly shortened development time[2] and has been described as the first step for the developer to move away from development for a single platform."

straight from wikipedia :B

i dont see any reasons why they wouldn't release it for other platforms.
Skele
Subway Guard

Post by Skele »

This is almost definitely going to be a multi-plat release. I myself, am REALLY hoping for a PC release, so I can crank up the graphics and get a better framerate. I wonder if Kojima and Del Toro plan on making this game run at 60 or 30 fps.
Tillerman
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Tillerman »

I don't care either way, because I will most certainly play it on the PS4.
KingCrimson
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by KingCrimson »

Skele wrote:This is almost definitely going to be a multi-plat release. I myself, am REALLY hoping for a PC release, so I can crank up the graphics and get a better framerate. I wonder if Kojima and Del Toro plan on making this game run at 60 or 30 fps.
I almost hope it's 30. A lower framerate is more cinematic, since movies usually run at 24 FPS. I associate high-framerate graphics with those soap operas that have really crisp quality for some reason.

Of course, a higher framerate is also more realistic... so your mileage may vary.
From the Lost Days
Just Passing Through

Post by From the Lost Days »

Since it's using the Fox Engine, I hope to see a PS3 or PC release. I want to get a PS4, but at current prices, want and will are two different things. I already have a decent PC and a PS3, so if it releases on at least one of these platforms, I'll be happy.
[img]http://tcforums.com/public/perm/perm/fromthelostdays.jpg[/img]
Below
Just Passing Through

Post by Below »

"P.T. were meant to look indies title w/ less graphic, sound quality & control functionality. It's even 30fps... I guess I should've stated that we wanted to make it look rough."

I'd say the team fully intends for the final product to run at a full 60FPS.
...nothing really unusual down there.
Drainage64
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Drainage64 »

I mean, I'd prefer to own it on ps4, but ofcourse there's no way I'll even afford a ps4 soon. I like to think that since the teaser was going for an "Indie horror" vibe and since that scene is so much a pc thing that maybe that's encouraging? I mean if it was ps3 that would be cool too but idk..
jdnation

Post by jdnation »

Multiplat is a sure bet, unless the S4 userbase grows ginormously while the Xbone slows down tremendously, or Sony is somehow involved in development, which is highly unlikely as far as we know.

But it'll definitely be on next-gen consoles only (No PS3/360) given the time it'll take to come out. PS4 as the lead console is also pretty much guaranteed, though obviously a high end expensive PC would be better, but I'd suspect a console release first with PC coming later.
Drainage64
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Drainage64 »

I follow Kojima on twitter and I noticed him tweet this today:
@HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN: "Surprisingly there're quite many people who want to play PT but don't have PS4."
This is very loose speculation here, but I like to think that the fact he'd even bring it up might be him hinting at it going multiplatform! Then again it might just be him making an observation. Who knows! n_n

You can see his tweet for yourself here:
https://twitter.com/HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN/sta ... 5743375360
DistantJ
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DistantJ »

Based on how much of a highlight it was in Sony's Gamescom conference, I can't help but wonder if they have some kind of deal going on.
Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song, and there's always music in the air.
TheEvilBread
Just Passing Through

Post by TheEvilBread »

After the whole Microsoft/Tomb Raider fiasco and the overwhelmingly positive reception to this playable teaser, I really would not be surprised if Sony grab any chance to make this exclusive to PS4. They seem to be trying to cover as many horror titles as possible.
Don't touch that dial now, we're just getting started...
Skele
Subway Guard

Post by Skele »

I hope Sony doesn't do it. As a fan of the series, you want a successful Silent Hill game to be available to as many gamers as possible. It'll help to prolong the life of the series.

Also, I'm glad to see there's the possibility of 60fps. For the console version, they can always give players the option of 30, or 60 (like the last of us). For PC, well, it's PC..
jdnation

Post by jdnation »

I'd prefer them to stick to a locked 30 fps.

I'd take better graphical detail and atmosphere at higher resolution over higher frame rates.

The benefits of going PS4-exclusive is that it is significantly more powerful than the Xbone. But it's pretty much a given that it won't happen as I'm sure Konami wants a large userbase pool and you get this with the Xbone as well, though sales for it are somewhat troubled for Microsoft in comparison to PS4 which worldwide has a ratio against it of 3:1, and outpaces it around 2:1 even in the 360's previous top markets.

The P.T./SIlent Hills demo is only on PS4 because it's the largest userbase, and because Sony published it taking on the digital distribution costs. Also it was necessary to the illusion of a fake studio that no ties to Konami be traced in order for the surprise to work. Making a free thing for multiple consoles would be added costs as well on Konami's part.

Kojima might want to now make it more widely available, but given that Sony is already the listedpublisher for the demo, it's unlikely. However, the inevitable game will be multi-plat, unless there is some detail here that Sony might be helping develop/funding it in order to make it happen, but I don't see any indication that this is the case, and I doubt Sony will bother going for a pointless 'timed exclusive' thing like MS is doing with Tomb Raider. Sonys timed exclusives have so far been indie games that are naturally coming to PS4 first simply because they courted indies early, or it's with regards to some exclusive gameplay/DLC that they paid for to exist.

I do imagine that if Sony does any exclusive deal with Silent Hills, that they'd probably fund a short VR experience exclusive to PS4 in order to push Morpheus sales. They said they're open to either games being developed exclusively for VR, or having existing games create a cool short little sample/experience exclusively for VR. They don't want already exisiting games just tacking VR on top with no optimization or concern for the experience.
Skele
Subway Guard

Post by Skele »

^^Eh, PS4 isn't "significantly" more powerful than XboxOne. Yes, it's more powerful, but the difference wouldn't mean a vastly superior SH experience if it were exclusive to Sony.

I'm all for keeping it locked at 30fps if they can't keep a consistent 60fps. As a PC gamer, I'm used to my higher framerate, but I hate dips. So it'd be a bit frustrating to have it go from 60, to 35, to 50, then back to 60, etc..
Below
Just Passing Through

Post by Below »

I don't think there should be much concern for FPS dips considering Ground Zeroes runs at a solid 60 on PS4.
...nothing really unusual down there.
aj4x94

Post by aj4x94 »

I'd honestly be really surprised if it's not multi-platform. The series hasn't stayed patform exclusive since the first game. The 3rd game eventually reached Xbox via the HD Collection.

I wouldn't really care either way since I'm getting a PS4 in the end.
You can take my heart
And hold it together as we fall apart
Maybe together we can make a mark in the stars we embark
And keep us together as the lights go dark
jdnation

Post by jdnation »

Skele wrote:^^Eh, PS4 isn't "significantly" more powerful than XboxOne. Yes, it's more powerful, but the difference wouldn't mean a vastly superior SH experience if it were exclusive to Sony.
Sure it's not significant a gap say by the difference of scale as a Titan GPU, but the difference between PS4 and Xbone with concern to the GPU and the RAM allocation is significant margin. One need only see the comparisons between versions of multi-plat games that run at different resolutions, and 1080p native up from 720p is no meager feat to pull off, especially at 60 fps. Even MGSV had the same significant resolution differences between the Xbone and PS4.

This is why games developed exclusively for PS4 will have the benefit of utilizing the extra headroom to do more. Multi-plat games by necessity need to ensure a somewhat level playing field for your engine in order to ease development with as few concessions/differences as possible to maintain a sense of parity, so most devs just utilize the PS4 to up the resolution/framerate.

So in this case if you develop SH for PS4 exclusively with 1080p 30 fps, then something's got to give for the Xbone version, and dropping the fps below 30 would be unacceptable, so they'd go for a resolution difference at maybe 900-720p. or adversely they could develop for Xbone's specs in mind at 900p 30fps, and then just upres that on PS4 to full 1080p and maybe 60 fps, but in this instance, in my opinion the additional fps, while neat, may just be wasted potential. My preference is that hopefully they develop for PS4 first at 30 fps and then downres the Xbone version for something suitable.

If you're on a powerful enough PC, then you basically get the benefits of pushing the res and framerate as much as you like and maybe even do so in 3-D. So there are no worries on that end.