Search FAQ

Login | Register


All times are UTC [ DST ]


It is currently 25 May 2017




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

New SH in First Person?
Yes, awesome! 15%  15%  [ 11 ]
Nope. No way! 28%  28%  [ 20 ]
Combination (both first and third person perspective) 55%  55%  [ 39 ]
I want SH to be a FPS huurrrhushdfushdfnsk 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 71
Author Message

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject: Re: Silent Hill in First Person
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 01 Jun 2009
Notes left: 3825
Last seen at: i'm sick of these monkey fighting snakes on this monday to friday plane.
Outlast isn't bad, it starts off strong but gets over the top at some points. It has some good creepy/tense moments, and atmosphere at some parts but i don't think it's nearly as scary as people hyped it up to be
[Reveal] Spoiler:
although one moment in Outlast that is genuinely creepy and disturbing has got to be this guy in a straight jacket who follows you around saying he needs to tell you something, and saying you look like you have an itch and stuff like that. That was creepy.


As for silent hill being in first person, i don't see why not. After the pt demo, it's shown it can be done effectively imo. And honestly even sh4 showed it could be done because some of the more memorable creepy moments happened in the apartment. Of course i have no problem with third person either.

EDIT: You know, i don't see why they can't just do both. You could play siren blood curse in first person or third person, don't see why more games don't do that in general, especially horror games.

_________________
Image


Top
   
 

Moderator
 Post subject: Re: Silent Hill in First Person
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 15 Apr 2004
Notes left: 11052
Last seen at: In the anals of forum history
Tillerman wrote:
If it does turn out to be entirely in first person, I'll be one of the ones bitching. Go ahead and be amused if you want, but it will be genuinely heartbroken if that's the case.


When I bought the Star Ocean 2 remake on PSP, the character names were in ALL CAPS and it just totally ruined a game that was originally amazing. I was so furious that I literally killed people. It ruined my entire family. Then the universe exploded.

_________________
Image


Top
   
 

Subway Guard
 Post subject: Re: Silent Hill in First Person
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 20 Jul 2004
Notes left: 1538
Last seen at: VA
Coercion wrote:
Skele wrote:
Not really. I mean Keifer Sutherland's a bigger name, and his image wasn't used in the newest MGS game.


That really isn't a fair comparison to make. Keifer Sutherland was introduced as a voice actor for a famous character with a well established image. Not only is Norman Reedus actually rendered in the game, but he isn't being spotlighted as a voice actor alone. I highly doubt they would go through all that trouble just to stick to 1st person for the final game.

As an aside: I agree with the naysayers on this one. Outlast never succeeded in scaring me.
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Frankly, when the initial conversation with the twins was had, I laughed hysterically.
The whole game just felt like some gory sci-fi original movie.


Ok, I'll give you that, but what about Liam Neeson in Fallout 3, Sean Bean in Elder Scrolls, Patrick Stewart in both Castlevania LOS games? I just think the argument that it'd be a waste, or pointless not to use Reedus' image, is silly. And ok, they've used his image in P.T., big deal. They could've just used it to hype up the reveal that Reedus is involved in "Silent Hills."

*shrugs* All I can say is that a good majority of the gamers that played Outlast, thought it was scary.. But that's how it is with horror, not everyone is going to be rattled. Heck, even the Silent Hill games have been bashed by many for not being scary at all.


Top
   
 

Rosewater Park Attendant
 Post subject: Re: Silent Hill in First Person
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 12 Oct 2010
Notes left: 1446
Last seen at: Chicago
Ryantology wrote:
When I bought the Star Ocean 2 remake on PSP, the character names were in ALL CAPS and it just totally ruined a game that was originally amazing. I was so furious that I literally killed people. It ruined my entire family. Then the universe exploded.


What is your point supposed to be... that a game's viewpoint is a frivolous thing to be concerned about? You're just wrong. It's a huge thing, it completely changes the feel of the game.

_________________
www.flipsidecomics.com


Top
   
 

Subway Guard
 Post subject: Re: Silent Hill in First Person
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 20 Jul 2004
Notes left: 1538
Last seen at: VA
Tillerman wrote:
Ryantology wrote:
When I bought the Star Ocean 2 remake on PSP, the character names were in ALL CAPS and it just totally ruined a game that was originally amazing. I was so furious that I literally killed people. It ruined my entire family. Then the universe exploded.


What is your point supposed to be... that a game's viewpoint is a frivolous thing to be concerned about? You're just wrong. It's a huge thing, it completely changes the feel of the game.


I think maybe he's saying it's not the end of the world if SH is only playable in fpv. It's a pretty funny post, because it's just making fun of how dramatic some of the folks here have been with their bias towards fpv. Unless you get severe nausea, or motion sickness due to playing in fpv, I think you should be open to the change.


Top
   
 

Rosewater Park Attendant
 Post subject: Re: Silent Hill in First Person
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 12 Oct 2010
Notes left: 1446
Last seen at: Chicago
Skele wrote:
I think maybe he's saying it's not the end of the world if SH is only playable in fpv. It's a pretty funny post, because it's just making fun of how dramatic some of the folks here have been with their bias towards fpv. Unless you get severe nausea, or motion sickness due to playing in fpv, I think you should be open to the change.


That's one change that I really can't be open to. I've played some 1st person horror games, and I just find them really hard to get into. It's not the same without a character on the screen, there's nothing to connect to, and I hate the way movement usually feels in 1st person games. It's a matter of preference... and on this particular thing I have a very strong preference.

Even P.T., although I appreciated the cleverness of it from a marketing standpoint, is something that I really wouldn't be interested in playing.

What makes it even worse is that most modern horror games are done in 1st person... that basically leaves people with my preferences out in the cold. Silent Hill is one of the last bastions for 3rd person horror games, and that's why it's very important to me that it stays that way.

So would it be the end of the world? No, but it would be a huge disappointment. You can see where I'm coming from, right?

_________________
www.flipsidecomics.com


Top
   
 

Subway Guard
 Post subject: Re: Silent Hill in First Person
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 20 Jul 2004
Notes left: 1538
Last seen at: VA
Tillerman wrote:
Skele wrote:
I think maybe he's saying it's not the end of the world if SH is only playable in fpv. It's a pretty funny post, because it's just making fun of how dramatic some of the folks here have been with their bias towards fpv. Unless you get severe nausea, or motion sickness due to playing in fpv, I think you should be open to the change.


That's one change that I really can't be open to. I've played some 1st person horror games, and I just find them really hard to get into. It's not the same without a character on the screen, there's nothing to connect to, and I hate the way movement usually feels in 1st person games. It's a matter of preference... and on this particular thing I have a very strong preference.

Even P.T., although I appreciated the cleverness of it from a marketing standpoint, is something that I really wouldn't be interested in playing.

What makes it even worse is that most modern horror games are done in 1st person... that basically leaves people with my preferences out in the cold. Silent Hill is one of the last bastions for 3rd person horror games, and that's why it's very important to me that it stays that way.

So would it be the end of the world? No, but it would be a huge disappointment. You can see where I'm coming from, right?


I can see where you're coming from, but do you not see where SH fans, that have always wanted to play an entire SH game in fpv, are coming from as well? How about throwing us a bone just this once?

As someone else stated in this thread, using 3rd or 1st person view doesn't really matter, just so long as the character is well written.


Top
   
 

Rosewater Park Attendant
 Post subject: Re: Silent Hill in First Person
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 12 Oct 2010
Notes left: 1446
Last seen at: Chicago
Skele wrote:
I can see where you're coming from, but do you not see where SH fans, that have always wanted to play an entire SH game in fpv, are coming from as well? How about throwing us a bone just this once?

As someone else stated in this thread, using 3rd or 1st person view doesn't really matter, just so long as the character is well written.


I'm a little confused as to whether it matters to you or not. Do you not care as long as the writing is good? Or are you one of those fans who always wanted to play an entire SH game in fpv, and would like to be thrown a bone just this once?

Well, either way, it definitely does matter to me. If you would really like a first person Silent Hill, then I guess we're just on opposite ends and one of us is going to be disappointed. But on the other hand, I wouldn't mind if you can choose your point of view. I'm okay with a compromise.

I feel like if the whole game is first person, that would pretty much complete the trend of all horror games moving to first person, and spell the death of horror games I like. At least for awhile. So that would definitely be heartbreaking for me.

_________________
www.flipsidecomics.com


Top
   
 

Gravedigger
 Post subject: Re: Silent Hill in First Person
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 31 Aug 2010
Notes left: 467
Last seen at: Marioland
Tillerman wrote:
It's not the same without a character on the screen, there's nothing to connect to, and I hate the way movement usually feels in 1st person games.

By the way, since you keep mentioning the floaty camera feeling it gives you, I noticed something weird : when you strafe to the left the camera stays still, but when you strafe to the right it leans to the right. I' m not sure why.

And aside from being unable to spot any limb there' s also that event with blood pouring from a fridge. If you get right under it and take a good shower you can see it drip as if it landed on a camera

I wondered if the character actually had a camera on him, but I can' t spot any such thing in the mirror.

Personally I don' t mind it that much, I' ve already mentioned elsewhere that I' m not allergic to first person view as long as it is used at the right place and at the right right time. I do however agree with you when you say that melee combat sucks big time in first person view.

I' m not sure how accurate that is, but I' ve often heard Japanese gamers really aren' t big on first person games either. It' s usually cited as one of the reasons western game have a hard time selling big numbers in Japan.


Top
   
 

Moderator
 Post subject: Re: Silent Hill in First Person
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 15 Apr 2004
Notes left: 11052
Last seen at: In the anals of forum history
Tillerman wrote:
Ryantology wrote:
When I bought the Star Ocean 2 remake on PSP, the character names were in ALL CAPS and it just totally ruined a game that was originally amazing. I was so furious that I literally killed people. It ruined my entire family. Then the universe exploded.


What is your point supposed to be... that a game's viewpoint is a frivolous thing to be concerned about? You're just wrong. It's a huge thing, it completely changes the feel of the game.


I know, and it's a veritable atrocity that this game might do something different. It's like the Holocaust is happening all over again. Of course, that basically makes me Hitler, because I wholeheartedly embrace the change regardless of how many fans gnash teeth and rend garments because of it. That part's just a really hilarious bonus! First Person Ãœber Alles!

Quote:
I feel like if the whole game is first person, that would pretty much complete the trend of all horror games moving to first person, and spell the death of horror games I like. At least for awhile. So that would definitely be heartbreaking for me.


You know what I hate? E-books! They aren't paper! Sometimes, books don't even come out on paper! I basically want to kill myself!

_________________
Image


Top
   
 

Rosewater Park Attendant
 Post subject: Re: Silent Hill in First Person
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 12 Oct 2010
Notes left: 1446
Last seen at: Chicago
Ryantology wrote:
I know, and it's a veritable atrocity that this game might do something different.


Switching to 1st person might be different for the series, historically. But it would also be jumping on the current popular bandwagon of 1st person horror games. It would be copying what is trendy. So touting it as "different" is painfully ridiculous.

Ryantology wrote:
It's like the Holocaust is happening all over again.
Of course, that basically makes me Hitler, because I wholeheartedly embrace the change regardless of how many fans gnash teeth and rend garments because of it. That part's just a really hilarious bonus! First Person Ãœber Alles!


Your strawmen charicatures are embarassing.

_________________
www.flipsidecomics.com


Top
   
 

Moderator
 Post subject: Re: Silent Hill in First Person
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 15 Apr 2004
Notes left: 11052
Last seen at: In the anals of forum history
Tillerman wrote:
Switching to 1st person might be different for the series, historically. But it would also be jumping on the current popular bandwagon of 1st person horror games. It would be copying what is trendy. So touting it as "different" is painfully ridiculous.


Because the first several Silent Hill games didn't basically rip off Resident Evil's entire gameplay experience like pretty much 99% or anything.

Wait, what?

They did?

SHIT

This series has been garbage from the very beginning! I have wasted 13 years of my life! ONO

Quote:
Your strawmen charicatures are embarassing.


Says the guy who has made a point to repeat several times how "heartbroken" he will be if the series changes the perspective. Apparently, this will single-handedly murder the entire horror game genre for you. Like, nothing else about the game will matter because it's in first person. And you really seem to mean it.

The only thing embarrassing here is what a drama queen you are.

_________________
Image


Top
   
 

Historical Society Historian
 Post subject: Re: Silent Hill in First Person
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 19 Jul 2007
Notes left: 5067
Image

Deutscher Spieleentwicklung über alles in der Welt!!

How could I pass up this chance to reference the manliest Nazi there ever was? :)

A fair number of compelling arguments (namely, they paid for Reedus, so they'll probably use his face) have been made for why third-person will probably win the day. For me, appeals to tradition are the weakest arguments, because traditionalism (and a previously pointed out weird adherence to Silent Hill as a comic book concept, of all things) has delivered me a series so boring that I have a whole set of friends and acquaintances who have no idea I'm a Silent Hill fan.

Normally, I'd say something along the lines of, "It needs to be recognizably Silent Hill, or what's the point of using the name?" But, at this point, the tropes have become such a horrid little box ("Hey, Sinner #37, how do your inner demons compare to snuffing out your wife?"), that I'm willing to scrap just about everything for the sake of getting something interesting, for once.

Hell, give me EXP and health regen, I don't care, just make the game disturbing again!

I'm sick of being bored by what's supposed to be my favorite franchise, and I'm just about willing to sacrifice anything for a change. That's what ten years of torpor does.

EDIT: Shit... now that I think of it, the only reason I can still call myself a "Silent Hill fan" is 'cuz I post here and bought that awesome Heather PVC figure for more money than was intelligent to spend...

_________________
Image


Top
   
 

Rosewater Park Attendant
 Post subject: Re: Silent Hill in First Person
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 12 Oct 2010
Notes left: 1446
Last seen at: Chicago
Ryantology wrote:
Because the first several Silent Hill games didn't basically rip off Resident Evil's entire gameplay experience like pretty much 99% or anything.

Wait, what?

They did?

SHIT


What a strange argument. 1. It's a stretch to say that Silent Hill "ripped off" Resident Evil's gameplay. 2. THIS is your reason for why they should go first person, because the old games jumped on a bandwagon too and that was okay? What are you even trying to say?

Ryantology wrote:
Apparently, this will single-handedly murder the entire horror game genre for you. Like, nothing else about the game will matter because it's in first person. And you really seem to mean it.


God damn right I mean it. It's a HUGE deal to me, I strongly dislike first person games. I've listed the reasons why I don't like playing them many times. You don't have to agree, you don't even have to understand it, but you also don't have the right to tell me how to feel about it.

Ryantology wrote:
The only thing embarrassing here is what a drama queen you are.


All I'm doing is stating, honestly, how I'll feel. On the other hand, you're going out of your way to mock me and insult me. That really doesn't seem like appropriate behavior for a moderator.

I'm going to politely ask you to stop.

_________________
www.flipsidecomics.com


Top
   
 

Subway Guard
 Post subject: Re: Silent Hill in First Person
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 20 Jul 2004
Notes left: 1538
Last seen at: VA
Tillerman wrote:

I'm a little confused as to whether it matters to you or not. Do you not care as long as the writing is good? Or are you one of those fans who always wanted to play an entire SH game in fpv, and would like to be thrown a bone just this once?


Truthfully, it doesn't matter to me at all, and yes, I've always wanted to experience an entire SH game in fpv. I'll agree that they'll probably go the 3rd person route, I won't be heartbroken at all, but I'll be slightly disappointed.


Top
   
 

Rosewater Park Attendant
 Post subject: Re: Silent Hill in First Person
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 12 Oct 2010
Notes left: 1446
Last seen at: Chicago
Skele wrote:
Truthfully, it doesn't matter to me at all, and yes, I've always wanted to experience an entire SH game in fpv. I'll agree that they'll probably go the 3rd person route, I won't be heartbroken at all, but I'll be slightly disappointed.


So in other words you think it would be neat, but it's not a huge deal either way. The thing that would really hurt about the game being entirely in first person is that if the game were successful, it would pretty much guarantee that future titles would be in first person as well. Which would seem to spell the death of third person horror games. (And if it's not popular, the series will probably die off anyway, so same result.)

On the other hand, if Kojima does something novel like allow us to choose between 1st and 3rd person viewpoint, maybe that will catch on. That would be really great.

_________________
www.flipsidecomics.com


Top
   
 

Moderator
 Post subject: Re: Silent Hill in First Person
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 15 Apr 2004
Notes left: 11052
Last seen at: In the anals of forum history
Tillerman wrote:
What a strange argument. 1. It's a stretch to say that Silent Hill "ripped off" Resident Evil's gameplay.


The control scheme is almost identical. The puzzle system is almost identical. The way you progress through areas is almost identical. Only the combat has any real differences, and the only significant one is how there is melee combat.

Quote:
2. THIS is your reason for why they should go first person, because the old games jumped on a bandwagon too and that was okay? What are you even trying to say?


My reason why it should go first-person is because I like first-person horror. In terms of actually being scary, first-person has been far more impressive for me. And, because I'm tired of playing variations of the same theme I've been playing for 15 years. All I'm saying in this regard is that "ripping off first-person horror games" is unquestionably the worst argument possible against doing it, because this series has never innovated with its gameplay.

Ryantology wrote:
God damn right I mean it. It's a HUGE deal to me, I strongly dislike first person games. I've listed the reasons why I don't like playing them many times. You don't have to agree, you don't even have to understand it, but you also don't have the right to tell me how to feel about it.


I'm not telling you how to feel about it. It's wouldn't be the end of my world one way or another. I don't want even more of the same, but I'm sure I could find a way to deal with it, if it's what I got. I don't have a problem at all with your feelings, so much as the dramatic, end-of-the-world manner you chose to express your feelings. Since they are obviously being hurt one way or another, I am being out of line, and I apologize.

_________________
Image


Top
   
 

Rosewater Park Attendant
 Post subject: Re: Silent Hill in First Person
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 12 Oct 2010
Notes left: 1446
Last seen at: Chicago
Ryantology wrote:
My reason why it should go first-person is because I like first-person horror.


That's fine. It doesn't bother me that you have your own preferences. I wish you had just stated your disagreement with me about it with a simple, positive statement like this, instead of the mocking.

Ryantology wrote:
I'm not telling you how to feel about it. It's wouldn't be the end of my world one way or another. I don't want even more of the same, but I'm sure I could find a way to deal with it, if it's what I got. I don't have a problem at all with your feelings, so much as the dramatic, end-of-the-world manner you chose to express your feelings.


I think that's an unfair portrait you paint. I never said it was the end of the world, just that I'd be very disappointed if the game turns out to be in primarily first person. The Silent Hill series has always been my favorite, and the lack of good ones has been saddening to me. This new one seems like an opportunity for the series to make a comeback, and that's very exciting to someone who has been a long time fan. So it would be a bit painful for me if the new game did turn out to be primarily in first person, I'd feel completely alienated by the series. Again, not the end of the world, but it would be a huge disappointment. I don't think I'm being melodramatic, just stating honestly how I think it would make me feel. Surely you can understand where I'm coming from... I'll bet there's things the series could do that would alienate you as well.

Ryantology wrote:
Since they are obviously being hurt one way or another, I am being out of line, and I apologize.


Thanks, no harm done.

_________________
www.flipsidecomics.com


Top
   
 

Woodside Apartments Janitor
 Post subject: Re: Silent Hill in First Person
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 21 May 2010
Notes left: 1231
Heh..I share Tillerman's concerns. I don't like anything first person for the reason's he stated. i just cannot get into seeing two hands on the screen, or one hand holding a weapon and a floaty walking up and down screen movement.

It's much more immersive to see the character interact within his/her environment and grabbing items, opening doors, engaged in combat etc...I hope the entire game isn't in 1st person, but with over 1 million downloads and kojima and crew still showing this P.T. demo at other events, i'm sure the FPV debate has come up in conversations on the upper management side and on the creative side.

P.T. looked great and the atmosphere and everything else was incredibly solid, but i'd rather see my main character than walking thru the halls in FP. I do feel because of the impact seen in P.T. that the next SH game will be FP in some fashion, (how can they ignore 1 million DL's?) but i'm hoping at least for a compromise or at least an option to toggle between the two.


Top
   
 

Just Passing Through
 Post subject: Re: Silent Hill in First Person
     
         
  User avatar  
     
     

Missing since: 31 Mar 2012
Notes left: 70
Last seen at: Portugal
Eh i´d prefer 3rd person too, it´s just mor engaging, though i´d love to see stuff in first person while still.


Top
   
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: