Someone has made quite the discovery

Come here to chat about Kojima's now sadly defunct Silent Hills.

Moderator: Moderators

unreadphilosophy
Historical Society Historian

Someone has made quite the discovery

Post by unreadphilosophy »

http://screenburn.kotaku.com/the-swedis ... Socialflow

Someone has translated the enigmatic radio transmission in P.T., and it looks like its revealed our enemies. Take a look below:

Close your eyes.

Let your ears listen, to the radio.

Do you hear my voice?

Can you hear your own soul's scream?

Let us choose

My voice that tells the future

Or your tortured (inaudible)

Well, what do you choose?

You can choose.

Your life, your future.

Wise as you are you might already have discovered it.

Yes, the radio drama from 75 years ago was true.

They are here on our earth and they monitor and see all.

Don't trust anyone. Don't trust the police.

They are already controlled by them.

That's the way it has been for 75 years now.

Only our best (inaudible)

You have a right. A right to become one of us.

So, welcome to our world. Very soon the gates to a new dimension will open.

2-0-4-8-6-3

2-0-4-8-6-3

So...aliens. Now, before we start moaning about something so unoriginal, let's consider a few things. First, aliens have always played a unique role in the SH series. For those of you who don't know, almost every Silent Hill game has featured a UFO ending. Specific requirements must be met to obtain these endings, and doing so will typically reward the player with an extremely powerful weapon that makes the game a breeze.

There's also something else, and this is where it gets big. Del Toro has been heavily influenced by the themes, ideas, and creatures of Lovecraft. The monsters that have been influenced by Lovecraft's writings, especially those that focus on Cthulhu, have been a very popular theme that have inspired writers to continue advancing the mythos. Also take into account that the transmission mentions inter-dimensional beings. Many of the creatures in Lovecraftian lore, especially The Great Old Ones and the Outer Gods, are commonly displayed as creatures that inhabit different dimensions. So...I guess I'm trying to put two-and-two together here. A transmission mentioning beings from another dimension different from our own, and Del Toro happens to be a fan of Lovecraft and the mythos that he inspired? That can't be a coincidence.

If I'm right, I guess these are the new enemies of Silent Hill:

In some ways, the idea does make sense. If you look at the mythology and the quasi religious beliefs of The Order, they mention that there are multiple gods, but never give a truly in-depth description of what these "gods" are. Since The Great Old Ones are referred to as beings that are worshiped by cults, the idea of Del Toro and Kojima using them to define the otherworldly existence of Silent Hill isn't much of a stretch.

That's my theory on this.
Huknar
Just Passing Through

Re: Someone has made quite the discovery

Post by Huknar »

I don't think the new premise of Silent Hill is aliens. This broadcast strikes me as something that is just creepy and not at all part of the main game's story. At least I hope not.
dias17se
Just Passing Through

Post by dias17se »

Oh god nooo !
RedPyramidThingy
Just Passing Through

Post by RedPyramidThingy »

I think it's just a reference to the UFO endings like the hole in the bathroom wall is a reference to Silent Hill 4.
19pack
Just Passing Through

Post by 19pack »

Del Toro's cancelled InSANE project was supposedly Lovecaftian - and I suppose I'd hardly be the first to suggest that Silent Hills is InSANE in a new guise - the story and mythos for InSANE might have been retrofitted to make sense to the Silent Hill universe, perhaps?

[youtube]www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqtJpcYjk3s[/youtube]

I would be fascinated in how the existential/cosmic horror could work without breaking the mysteriousness and appear to 'explain' why everything is happening.

Correct me if I'm wrong or this has been disproved (and again this probably has been theorised already) but might it be possible that the Nahkeehona/Mother Stone that Jasper Gein sits next to in the Forest World in Silent Hill 4 be of extra terrestrial origin?

TheEvilBread
Just Passing Through

Post by TheEvilBread »

I think it's most likely just a reference to the UFO endings, I don't think that the heads behind this would be that stupid to make the game about aliens. At this point we have to take everything with a grain of salt because of the message displayed at the end.

If we're going to take little details from this teaser into account, for all we know the whole 'They are here' aspect may refer to the Otherworld in some way or another if we're going to deal with doppelgängers in the game ("Are you sure the only you is you?")

I do think unreadphilosophy's theory on the occult's gods is an interesting one, if they're going to go back to the cult in this game, I'd like them to explore more about their beliefs. The final boss when you get the good ending in the original Silent Hill seemed quite Lovecraftian in design, so it would be an interesting aspect to go for in regards to enemy design.

As far as flying saucers and green men, I don't think we have anything to worry about. The term extra-terrestrial can apply to something that's not of our world and that's pretty much what every most enemies in the games have been.
Don't touch that dial now, we're just getting started...
Typographenia

Post by Typographenia »

My firm stance that the UFO endings were canon is finally being validated! It is the dawning of a new day.

Looking at this from a less literal way, it could simply be trying to reinforce a theme of paranoia and distrust of others/authority figures.
The wave of fear that the War of the Worlds broadcast sparked could be more important than the tale itself.
Catch23
Just Passing Through

Post by Catch23 »

Typographenia wrote:Looking at this from a less literal way, it could simply be trying to reinforce a theme of paranoia and distrust of others/authority figures.
The wave of fear that the War of the Worlds broadcast sparked could be more important than the tale itself.
I agree with this. Taking this literally is a mistake. We're dealing with Silent Hill here--a Silent Hill helmed by Kojima no less--so people would do well to take this sort of thing with a grain of salt. There is a deeper meaning that goes beyond aliens.
The jabronie formerly known as "Catch22".
golden filter
Just Passing Through

Post by golden filter »

to me it sounds more like the government than aliens.

that said, while checking out thomas' timeline, 75 years before 2014 this happened:

"An even stranger event occurred" involving Toluca Lake and the sixty-seven men and women who died of illness.
unreadphilosophy

Post by unreadphilosophy »

When I think about it a little deeply, the idea of this game putting focus back on the occult does make sense. In the beginning of the teaser, the reporter on the radio states that the husband responsible for killing his wife and children could be heard mumbling some sort of witchcraft like chant. Since he mentions on the wall that there's a demon inside him, there to seems to be more and more evidence that something outside of human control has been let loose.
KingCrimson
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by KingCrimson »

This is kind of interesting. I like the possibility of ancient beings from beyond this earth being the true "Old Gods" of Silent Hill.
NanayaShiki
SHH Cult & SHHF Moderator
SHH Cult & SHHF Moderator

Post by NanayaShiki »

It's an easter egg, probably just to reference the UFO Endings. I mean, for one, it's been said time and time again that PT does not represent the actual Silent Hills game, it was just a special way to reveal the game. Second, aliens will never be the main "antagonists" of a Silent Hill game, as the UFO endings are just jokes. Even if Kojima somehow got everything about Silent Hill that wrong, I doubt Konami as a whole would let him go through with it.
Lostkitsune
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by Lostkitsune »

If anything I'd like to think that with Kojima's sense of humor this is a little wink to say "hey guys I have quite the ufo ending planned ;3". If Kojima does make a UFO ending I'm looking forward to that possibly more than the game itself.
DistantJ
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DistantJ »

"The radio drama from 75 years ago" drew my attention.

A bit over 75 years ago (October 1938), Orson Welles' radio drama of War of the Worlds aired. It was presented as faux news broadcasts and a lot of people didn't realise it was fictional, so it lead to a lot of panic, which the radio station got into a lot of trouble for.

It's worth looking into War of the Worlds for references.

And no, I doubt this is anything to do with the game featuring aliens. Every game has a UFO ending and this is probably just another clue of some kind.
Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song, and there's always music in the air.
Leo Ho Tep
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Leo Ho Tep »

if they do take lovecraft's work as an inspriation, it could be quite creepy. It's not your usual ufo from mars or whatever. I don't think they will, but it could be glorious.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

>A bit over 75 years ago (October 1938), Orson Welles' radio drama of War of the Worlds aired.<
Wait. . . . People didn't immediately realize this is what the game was referencing?
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
DistantJ
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DistantJ »

Well, nobody seems to have referenced it.
Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song, and there's always music in the air.
Typographenia

Post by Typographenia »

DistantJ wrote:Well, nobody seems to have referenced it.
I did in my above post.

I didn't even consider 75 years ago in SH lore, as the War of the Worlds broadcast was such a big deal. Golden Filter's mention of adversary's timeline was interesting, though. It will be curious to see how much they actually intend to draw on for this title.
HeartlessBastard
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by HeartlessBastard »

Well, ins't the UFO ending from the first game a reference to War of the Worlds? I mean, I pretty sure this is a just an easter egg, and nothing more.

Anyway, if the old gods of Silent Hill are accually real, it would be pretty boring, at least for me. I mean, for that sci-fi bull-shite we have Siren, right?
"Good people should love their enemies" - Seu Madruga
captaincrowbar
Just Passing Through

Post by captaincrowbar »

I like the concept actually. Everyone knows the alien endings are the one true canon, after all. I like the idea that they would tap into this. I support the notion.

Except for "So, welcome to our world. Very soon the gates to a new dimension will open."

#lolwut