Someone has made quite the discovery

Come here to chat about Kojima's now sadly defunct Silent Hills.

Moderator: Moderators

VIVIsect
Historical Society Historian

Re: Someone has made quite the discovery

Post by VIVIsect »

HeartlessBastard wrote:Well, ins't the UFO ending from the first game a reference to War of the Worlds?
I think it's more of a Mars Attacks reference (the trading card series from the 60s, not the Burton film).

nobody is anybody
Its Gone Now
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Its Gone Now »

I feel it necessary to point out that the original devs explicitly said that the "UFO" endings were "joke" endings so you really shouldn't take them too seriously..

I hope the new devs don't see them differently.

And HeartlessBastard we don't know if the God or Gods of Silent Hill are real or not as they leave that open like most other things.

But what we can say without much doubt is that SOMETHING is real. Whatever made the Town the way it is is certainly not nothing and whatever it is is almost definitely Godlike wouldn't you say?

We don't even know how LONG it has been the way it is or even if it was ever normal to begin with.
rm2kking
Historical Society Historian

Post by rm2kking »

"Aliens" is a broad term. All of the entities in the series are incredibly alien. Beings spawned from another reality are certainly far more alien than space aliens even, since space aliens obviously originate in our own universe whereas the forces controlling/comprising the Otherworld certainly do not. The point about Lovecraft is a sound one, since his more horrible beings, while undisputably terrifyingly alien, originate outside our universe and are more than capable of warping reality and taking on many sanity-destroying forms. Forget Cthulhu and the Great Old Ones and think more on Azathoth, Yog-Sothoth and beings of their kind, known as the Other Gods (or "Outer Gods" by some, but never in the actual stories). Those are the types of alien forces that could work in SH, and are far, far worse in the eyes of Lovecraft and likely Del Toro as well.
I dreamed I lay in a dark valley and all around me were the titanic forms of archangels. I heard distant voices and I knew these supernatural warriors were chanting a litany...
"We are the Warriors at the End of Time. We are the lost, the last, the unkind. We are the Warriors on the Edge of Time and we're tired, we're tired... We're tired of making love..."