P.T. Story Discussion

Come here to chat about Kojima's now sadly defunct Silent Hills.

Moderator: Moderators

TMALIVE
Just Passing Through

P.T. Story Discussion

Post by TMALIVE »

I'd like to use this place to discuss the story of P.T. and how it relates or doesn't relate to Silent Hills, or discuss it as it's own story.

So here's what I think what was going on based on what we know.

A radio broadcast was driving fathers to kill their families, specifically fathers who might be jobless or on welfare, as if possessing them. They seemed to hear voices and numbers that drove them to it. Months ago, the father of this house was jobless, drunk, and his wife had to work a part time job. He later heard the radio broadcast, and killed his wife and baby, stabbing her to death. What happened to him after that? No one knows. He never makes an appearance. It's possible he hung himself, but if so, why is the wife and baby haunting the house, but not him? And why are you trapped in this house?

Here's the possibilities:

1) The father is really Norman's character, and he killed his family. The baby's dialogue at the very end is just talking to the player (aka breaking the fourth wall), and not to Norman's character. Because during the Red Hallway bit, the baby talks to you as if you were the father. Mentioning how months ago, you got fired, and drunk, and your wife had to work a part time job. Why the man in the photos looks nothing like Norman Reedus? because the man in the pictures is really just Lisa's dad, or a relative. The woman in the photos is her mom, which is why it looks like her. It's a red herring to throw you off.

2) The baby is just messing with you. You're not the father. You're just some guy who got stuck in a haunted house, and it wanted to make you think you killed your family Silent Hill 2 style, and didn't remember it.

3) You're the younger version of the man from those photos, that came from another reality. As the Talking Bag and the Swedish Aliens describe, you found a gap into a separate reality. And in this reality, your "Double" killed his family, and disappeared. And ever since, you've been stuck inside that hallway, looping over and over, being tormented by his dead wife, until finally, with the help of a Talking Bag, your Double's Whale Baby, Swedish Aliens, your trouble shooting detective work, and the power of Twitch, Youtube, and the Internet, you found a way out into another dimension... which leads to Silent Hill... which means you're still screwed.
AuraTwilight
Historical Society Historian

Re: P.T. Story Discussion

Post by AuraTwilight »

I think you're overthinking it. In my opinion the protagonist of PT is the father being talked about. He succumbed to the stress in his dead-end life and killed his family. Unfortunately, he lives in Silent Hill, so he was trapped in his own house, forced to face the consequences of his actions.

PT's storyline is probably a standalone thing, and won't have any relation to the main game.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
TMALIVE
Just Passing Through

Post by TMALIVE »

AuraTwilight wrote:
PT's storyline is probably a standalone thing, and won't have any relation to the main game.
I know it's story isn't going to be connected to Silent hills. PT is not going to be the prologue. But I like to think about how similar things might get crossed over.

For example, what does the Talking Bag mean by how there's a double? Does Norman's character have a double running around? Or is it symbolism for Silent Hills, PT's alternate double?
Leo Ho Tep
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Leo Ho Tep »

I agree with AuraTwilight about what the story is. That said, I'm sure P.T story will play a part in Silent Hills, one way or another.
redrum
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by redrum »

I expect it to be referenced in a sort of Walter Sullivan in Silent Hill 2 sort of way.
Leo Ho Tep
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Leo Ho Tep »

I could totally see it working that way. I sure hope it's part of the story, because I thought P.T was really engaging.
Soulless-Shadow
Subway Guard

Post by Soulless-Shadow »

From what I've read and seen (I unfortunately do not have a PS4) the story sounds interesting, but I doubt it'll play much part in the overall story of SHS.
I think PT was just a teaser (as the name suggests). Though I wouldn't be surprised if there's an easter egg or some such in SHS to reference PT (or even a trophy).
jdnation
Historical Society Historian

Post by jdnation »

Quoting myself here from this thread based on a possible solution involving the name reference:
http://www.silenthillforum.com/viewtopi ... 46&t=25788
jdnation wrote:The name and the reference to the Biblical acount of the Nephelim that has been interpreted as fallen angels mating with woena nd giving birth to particular beings does make sense of the baby-thing that looks like a cross between a bird/human and probably plays into the lore of this story.

Some either interpret this as demons either mating with human women supernaturally, or demons posessing men and thourhg them impregnating women and giving birth to supernatural/powerful beings.

But technically the Biblical account is only referring to fallen men and the reference to giants is not connected to the taking of wives other than just to mention it as an aside of what that epoch of time was like. The Sons of God/Nephilim distinction is only to discriminate between men who were faithful to God and those who weren't. In this case, some sons of God were seduced by some daughters of men. A theme that is continuously evoked a a struggle between a world rules by men versus a world ruled by God and this constant tug of war throughout history.

But anyway, assuming the former was used as inspiration for P.T....

Making sense of this seems that Jareth was posessed by a demon (there's a monster inside of me), who then enters into/reproduces in Lisa via intercourse with Jareth. Jareth goes crazy and tries to murder his wife and the child.

This also calls back to Silent Hill where Dahlia wants to bring a god into the world and uses Kaufman to artficial insemination to impregnate her to give birth to Alessa (if I'm remembering the details right). And through pain and suffering will allow the god within Alessa to take control.
Self-Seeker
Just Passing Through

Post by Self-Seeker »

If (what appears to be) the story in the teaser is related to the main game's story, my guess is that the main character has not killed anyone...yet. The radio story seems to suggest that before the other men went crazy and started killing people there was a buildup. Them acting weird, spouting numbers, that kind of thing. As of now, I would guess this guy is going to end up trying not to succumb to the same fate, or trying to, depending on what ending you want. Sort of like the Overlook's caretakers in The Shining.
TMALIVE
Just Passing Through

Post by TMALIVE »

More and more I'm thinking Norman's character is not the killer. We're meant to think he is when we think he's the Husband. But once he gets out, the reveal is that he's just a guy who was being messed with. It's a big reveal, since the mirror never allows you to see his face, and the pictures don't have his face in them. One possible hint is the radio announcer, when he says "Don't trust the tap water" aka the baby. The baby at first talks to you as if you're the father, saying how you lost your job, and your wife had to get a job, etc. But then later talks to you "about" his Dad when the game reveals Norman's face. And let's face the facts, the baby is messing with you since you have to make him laugh in order to get out of the house.
TMALIVE
Just Passing Through

Post by TMALIVE »

On a separate note, I'd like to talk about what I hope the story will be for Silent Hills. I kind of hope there's no involvement from "The Order". I think they should remain dead. Silent Hill does not need the cult anymore. The cult wasn't in nor involved in Silent Hill 2, and that one is considered the best by many. Sure, the happenings that happened to James are the results of what the cult may or may not have done to the town, but that's it. It's a background detail that barely mentioned in the game, and that's it. If any cult is involved, why not a new one? Or some other force of power that's new? Why not make a separate Silent Hill series about how something new and different came to the town, and changes it? Think of it as what Ben Mears says in Salem's Lot, about the haunted house he truly fears, "Perhaps it's called another evil man."

And speaking of separate, what not take advantage of Silent Hill being called Silent Hills. Treat it like the Metal Gear series is to Metal Gear Solid series, where one represents the old, and the other represents a new direction.
Leo Ho Tep
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Leo Ho Tep »

those last posts sound really interesting to me, especially the part about him trying to avoid becoming a killer.
Jonipoon
Subway Guard

Post by Jonipoon »

I think we're in for a surprise, and the main story of Silent Hills has nothing or little to do with P.T.

However, I do believe that there are certain themes they're going for that are hinted in the P.T. For example the theme of loops, neverending circles, doubles, and so on. I'm very excited about the execution for this game.
I EAT GALAXIES FOR BREAKFAST.