TGS news/info

Come here to chat about Kojima's now sadly defunct Silent Hills.

Moderator: Moderators

jdnation
Historical Society Historian

TGS news/info

Post by jdnation »

Kojima was at the stage at Sony's pre-TGS conference. Some tidbits:

Direct link to TGS segment
http://youtu.be/5D-Wr_3-E5U?t=1h2m14s

In English - http://youtu.be/rIg1fMoqZdI?t=59m4s

- PS4 was chosen for P.T. due to its emphasis on streaming/sharing and the share button.
- Wanted worldwide collaboration through streaming/sharing.
- British girl solved it in 4 hours with help from friends. Kojima was hoping it would take a week.
- Reedus is playing the MC and doing the full VA/mo-cap.
- Del Toro is a fan and himself wanted to work on Silent Hill.
- Kojima refers to Del Toro as 'the director' (or rather the translator does), not sure whether this means Del Toro is the director of the game or Kojima's just referring to his film profession.
- Kojima & Del Toro have been meeting for years now. Not sure whether the progress of the game has been necessarily in development for as long...

Matt S
Gravedigger

Re: TGS news/info

Post by Matt S »

Thanks for the link
RIP Silent Hills
Leo Ho Tep
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Leo Ho Tep »

when they say Norman is playing the main character, are we talking about P?T only. Since I don't remember hearing his voice, nor his character speaking, I would guess he really is Silent Hills main protagonist. Which would lend credit to the theory about P.T story really being realted to Silent Hills story.
KingCrimson
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by KingCrimson »

What could he mean by "worldwide collaboration through streaming/sharing?"

I'm trying to stay positive, but any way I can slice it, that really kills the scare factor for me. :|
Droo

Post by Droo »

KingCrimson wrote:What could he mean by "worldwide collaboration through streaming/sharing?"

I'm trying to stay positive, but any way I can slice it, that really kills the scare factor for me. :|
Kojima is talking about the PT demo, not Silent Hills. He meant he wanted people to collaborate online to discover the solution to the final puzzle in PT rather than for one British girl and her friends to accidentally discover it on their own.
"Oh yeah, I've been here before
I can see it with eyes closed
Shadows that look like blood
Dead as far as the mind goes
Fear that comes from my head
Lives in the mirror"
Lifetolifeless
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Lifetolifeless »

KingCrimson wrote:What could he mean by "worldwide collaboration through streaming/sharing?"

Yeah, no reason to worry about the game experience itself just yet. He just means that it was their intention to be really opaque about what the game was and how to get through it, and they hoped that the community at large would come together and share knowledge to figure it out how to complete it.

Patience is the darkest side of power.
HillsideSkoomaAddict
Just Passing Through

Post by HillsideSkoomaAddict »

It reminds me of the oldschool SH atmosphere! :D I hope they won't implement that homecoming/Downpour/Movie blue fog, I'm sick of it.
KingCrimson
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by KingCrimson »

Lifetolifeless wrote:

Yeah, no reason to worry about the game experience itself just yet. He just means that it was their intention to be really opaque about what the game was and how to get through it, and they hoped that the community at large would come together and share knowledge to figure it out how to complete it.
Ohhh. Duh, should've read more closely before posting, thanks. :oops:
RedPyramidThingy
Just Passing Through

Post by RedPyramidThingy »

I like the new image too. I prefer the town to be bright with white fluffy fog; it's more ghostly and sad rather than trying to be menacing but ultimately just feeling drab and depressing.
clips
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by clips »

HillsideSkoomaAddict wrote:Image

It reminds me of the oldschool SH atmosphere! :D I hope they won't implement that homecoming/Downpour/Movie blue fog, I'm sick of it.

I agree..i want that fog/darkness that was seen like in the streets of SH1,2 & 3
Leo Ho Tep
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Leo Ho Tep »

I'm all for it too. I like how the town can seems threatening with its white fog. It gives it its own identity, instead of playing the night card, like most horror games and movies do. In that regard, even when the room was fully lit in P.T, there was this sense of dread.
RinoTheBouncer
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by RinoTheBouncer »

There’s literally nothing that I do not like about this wonderful project. It’s just perfect. Hideo Kojima is a genius, Guillermo Del Toro is brilliant and Norman Reedus is perfect. The perfect combination for Silent Hill.

That’s basically what the franchise needed for so long. Brilliant minds, artistic senses and heavy promotion. P.T. is being talked about everywhere. When was the last time people gave a sh*t about SH? I barely remember. I mean I do love all the main console games released so far, but this one will hopefully be the most successful.

I’m pretty sure Hideo Kojima will give the series what every other developers after Team Silent failed to do, if not even better than Team Silent themselves. I watch horror movies, a lot. Like, A LOT that no horror movie or game actually feels original or scary to me anymore cause everything is so predictable from my own experience, even the plot twists. But here, I jumped like 3 times during P.T. and that RARELY happens to me. So if the final product manages to be as mind-twisting and as scary and confusing as P.T., I’m pretty sure it’s gonna surpass everything that the franchise have every done before.
Twitter: @RinoTheBouncer | www.rinothebouncer.com | Instagram: @RinoTheBouncer
redrum
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by redrum »

P.T. is confirmed to appear at Konami's stage show, to be honest, I'd bet we can expect Kojima to talk about it at every event he appears at from now on, even if it's just behind the scenes stuff.
jdnation

Post by jdnation »

redrum wrote:P.T. is confirmed to appear at Konami's stage show, to be honest, I'd bet we can expect Kojima to talk about it at every event he appears at from now on, even if it's just behind the scenes stuff.
Yup! Here's a link:
http://www.relyonhorror.com/latest-news ... tgs-stage/

I don't think they'll show much other than to talk about whose involved and show dev videos and tout the FOX Engine some more, but it'll be cool to see maybe some tech demos of CG Norman and the outdoors under different lighting conditions.
RedPyramidThingy
Just Passing Through

Post by RedPyramidThingy »

I hope they announce Akira Yamaoka's return. For me that would be the icing on the cake but I know there are a lot of people that don't want him back which completely surprised me. I wonder how long the game has been in development for. P.T. could be the secret project Kojima was teasing on Twitter back in January so likely would have been started before then. That will effect how much we see at TGS.
Last edited by RedPyramidThingy on 06 Sep 2014, edited 1 time in total.
Tillerman
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Tillerman »

RedPyramidThingy wrote:I hope they announce Akira Yamaoka's return. For me that would be the icing on the cake but I know there are a lot of people that don't want him back which completely surprised me.
I know there's a lot of people who'd love to see him come back, too. I know I personally would. Besides Silent Hill, he's still been doing some great soundtracks lately and I think he still has the chops. It seems like there's a decent chance he may come back, so I'm hopeful.
jdnation

Post by jdnation »

A musician/score composer can only be as good as the direction and beats the director gives him and how well they collaborate together.

Yamaoka's music imo was getting better and better right up to SH4 which is my favourite. It was only after the shift overseas happened and Yamaoka was given additional Producer roles that there was a notable 'decline'? Not that the new soundtracks don't have some good stuff, but overall I think Yamaoka would perform better when not overburdened with other roles, when in his element working amongst colleagues in Japan and with good collaboration between the writers, director and composer.

I'm okay either way if Yamaoka returns or if they try someone new.
unreadphilosophy

Post by unreadphilosophy »

That article is spot on when they mention an amazing trailer. The teaser that Kojima put together for MGSV during this year's E3 was such an incredible display of creativity, that even Hollywood was talking about it. Imagine what those masterful hands of his could do with a Silent Hill trailer?
Droo

Post by Droo »

jdnation wrote:A musician/score composer can only be as good as the direction and beats the director gives him and how well they collaborate together.

Yamaoka's music imo was getting better and better right up to SH4 which is my favourite. It was only after the shift overseas happened and Yamaoka was given additional Producer roles that there was a notable 'decline'? Not that the new soundtracks don't have some good stuff, but overall I think Yamaoka would perform better when not overburdened with other roles, when in his element working amongst colleagues in Japan and with good collaboration between the writers, director and composer.

I'm okay either way if Yamaoka returns or if they try someone new.
Personally, I thought the soundtracks for Homecoming, Shattered Memories and especially Origins were excellent. Origins may be my second-favourite soundtrack for the series.
"Oh yeah, I've been here before
I can see it with eyes closed
Shadows that look like blood
Dead as far as the mind goes
Fear that comes from my head
Lives in the mirror"
Tillerman
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Tillerman »

Droo wrote:
jdnation wrote:Personally, I thought the soundtracks for Homecoming, Shattered Memories and especially Origins were excellent. Origins may be my second-favourite soundtrack for the series.
I do think that the soundtrack for Shattered Memories was excellent, and easily the best thing about that game.