P.T. wins Gamespot's "Game of the Month" for August 2014

Come here to chat about Kojima's now sadly defunct Silent Hills.

Moderator: Moderators

Droo

P.T. wins Gamespot's "Game of the Month" for August 2014

Post by Droo »

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/game-o ... 0-6422175/

Pretty crazy how well this demo has been received. Silent Hill is back, baby!
"Oh yeah, I've been here before
I can see it with eyes closed
Shadows that look like blood
Dead as far as the mind goes
Fear that comes from my head
Lives in the mirror"
Matt S
Gravedigger

Re: P.T. wins Gamespot's "Game of the Month" for August 2014

Post by Matt S »

that. is. AWESOME!
RIP Silent Hills
alone in the town
Historical Society Historian

Post by alone in the town »

I thought that only forcing Team Silent to reassemble at gunpoint would save the series from dying. That's what I kept hearing for the last ten years, anyway.
dias17se
Just Passing Through

Post by dias17se »

Should be demo of the month. That award makes no sense, SH won´t probably even look anything like PT. But hey, magazines nowadays write anything for a few bucks.

"NEW COD ? ? 10/10 best fps ever !!!!!" - generic no one reads magazine
Typographenia

Post by Typographenia »

dias17se wrote:Should be demo of the month. That award makes no sense, SH won´t probably even look anything like PT. But hey, magazines nowadays write anything for a few bucks.

"NEW COD ? ? 10/10 best fps ever !!!!!" - generic no one reads magazine
August was an incredibly dry month for new releases on platforms, it has enjoyed wide-spread appeal, and have you seen any advertising money being spent on Gamespot for P.T.?

Your complaint is misguided and overly cynical, but I understand why someone might be upset at a demo getting so much praise. That said, this is a different day for games than it was 10, or even 5, years ago. People are buying and playing all manner of "alpha" and unfinished games, and it makes more sense to highlight something like this in the current environment of the games industry. Also, just like any other form of opinion media, feel free to ignore it as a consumer or use it as a tool to make your own decision.
dias17se
Just Passing Through

Post by dias17se »

Please, don´t be naive to think there isn´t money involved, all this industry revolves around money. It´s all a big stroke job, magazine strokes game, game strokes magazine, magazine stroke Publishers, articles strokes Kojima bla bla bla
Typographenia

Post by Typographenia »

dias17se wrote:Please, don´t be naive to think there isn´t money involved, all this industry revolves around money. It´s all a big stroke job, magazine strokes game, game strokes magazine, magazine stroke Publishers, articles strokes Kojima bla bla bla
Yeah, it's pretty gross that most gaming websites make money off of advertising other games and the majority of "news" involves relaying PR messages from studios and marketing people. If you can't distinguish the difference between an opinion piece trying to share one of the few interesting/new things in a depressingly empty month for game releases (which they name/link the other titles at the top of the article before ever mentioning P.T.) and something intentionally written to generate buzz around a product because of behind-doors handshaking, then I am sorry. If you believe the content coming out of a website or a specific individual is compromised, then you should look elsewhere for something you feel you can trust.
SPRINGS02
Location: i'm sick of these monkey fighting snakes on this monday to friday plane.

Post by SPRINGS02 »

kinda weird, since it's a demo and not a full game. That's cool anyway i guess, i mean it was a great demo.
dias17se
Just Passing Through

Post by dias17se »

SPRINGS02 wrote:kinda weird, since it's a demo and not a full game. That's cool anyway i guess, i mean it was a great demo.

Ikr ? Let´s give game awards to demos instead of games lol

actually why even bother finishing the game, it won best game award already
Typographenia

Post by Typographenia »

Taken directly from the article that you seem determined to ignore, despite it being the topic at hand-
During our deliberations, we were on the fence about P.T.'s eligibility for the award. The self-proclaimed teaser is considered by some to be a demo, possibly because it's relatively brief and doesn't cost any money. However, as the adage goes, "time is money," and we think P.T. is well worth the time it takes to resolve its obtuse puzzles and make it to the light at the end of the tunnel. Were it in fact a demo or a slice of gameplay taken directly from the other game teased at the end, Silent Hills, then we'd have to exclude it from the running; but it's neither of those. At the end of P.T., it's made perfectly clear: "This game is a teaser. It has no direct relation to the main title." Teaser or not P.T. has a distinct beginning, middle, and end. Regardless of what its ties are to Silent Hills, P.T. can be taken as a singular whole. It might skate that fine line between "demo" and "full product", but we believe it's a prime example of the ever-evolving state of games and the terms used to define them.
HeresJohnny
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by HeresJohnny »

"Pretty crazy how well this demo has been received. Silent Hill is back, baby!"

I agree. The anticipation is killing me now. Excited about a Silent Hill game again!