Silent Hills cancelled

Come here to chat about Kojima's now sadly defunct Silent Hills.

Moderator: Moderators

dias17se
Just Passing Through

Re: Silent Hills cancelled

Post by dias17se »

That petition wont do shit. All the 15 years old Reedus fanboys may cry snot but the yuppies at Konami dont give a shit. Only numbers matter nowadays and the console industry keeps declining.

Its dead for good. Maybe the greatest lost game ever.
Typographenia
Historical Society Historian

Post by Typographenia »

dias17se wrote:Its dead for good. Maybe the greatest lost game ever.
That game we knew virtually nothing about, saw nothing of, and P.T. stated was not representative of the final game.
RIP.
SPRINGS02
Location: i'm sick of these monkey fighting snakes on this monday to friday plane.

Post by SPRINGS02 »

Yeah, i'd say it's better off saying we lost the most interesting looking new horror game, let's leave it at that.
Mantorok
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Mantorok »

It was certainly a lose. Definitely the most promising horror game developed by a very talented group who did a great job with the PT.

I wouldn't say petitions do nothing, they certainly show demand, a lot more demand than they probably realized existed. They also didn't earn themselves many admirers as of late.

I'm not trying to be a dick here but I wasn't aware Norman Reedus was someone known for having a legion of 15 year old fans. I wasn't aware he was Justin Bieber.
Mephisto

Post by Mephisto »

Konami just got away from all the murk, dust, dirt and shit with the new Yu-Gi-Oh! title for the PS4 and XOne. Especially because it involves ALL the seasons from the anime. From the very beggining until the... I don't even know anymore (pretty much like Pokémon but that's another story). And there's online multiplayer for the first time ever.

PES 2016 is a reality, sadly. Fuck Silent Hill, right?
dias17se
Just Passing Through

Post by dias17se »

Typographenia wrote:
dias17se wrote:Its dead for good. Maybe the greatest lost game ever.
That game we knew virtually nothing about, saw nothing of, and P.T. stated was not representative of the final game.
RIP.
Well, i was assuming it would have the PT quality even with different mechanics. It would have to had some of the quality of the demo.

Plus, i was trusting Kojima and Del Toro vision.

Could it have been shit like the Homecoming epic war vet storyline being destroyed ? Maybe but i was trying to be positive.
jdnation

Post by jdnation »

It's certainly the biggest lost opportunity.

Konami had an incredibly hyped and anticipated guaranteed-to-sell product on their hands and they pissed it away.

From all previews, MGSV is looking to be the hottest anticipated game. All that talent and potential... :cry:
tbonesays
Hope House Careworker

Post by tbonesays »

It's the god of this year's trends. Businesses are paranoid about not keeping up with the latest blip on the radar and thus join the herd running after the newest bright flag. Which is fine except when they abandon their staple crop that sustains them. The flavor of the year is mobile gaming and therefore they assume that's all people will want in 2019.
SPRINGS02
Location: i'm sick of these monkey fighting snakes on this monday to friday plane.

Post by SPRINGS02 »

I don't understand the whole mobile gaming thing, i mean i get mobile games are WAAY cheaper and easier to make, but i didn't think they were blowing up that much anymore, they're just kinda there. I keep up with mobile games here and there and i never thought they were just dominating everything, i mean there's a shitload of them and they easily get lost in the mix of games. I can't think of a clear cut mobile game that's just dominating right now(is candy crush still something that everyone has to have?) mobile games are just kind of a trend, people play something like crazy for a bit, then forget about it(like angry birds for example)
Mephisto

Post by Mephisto »

^ Indeed. But that's in the west, pal.

Maybe, in Asia, things are different. I heard that handheld dominates most of the east. Why the same thing can't happen with mobile, too? It's pretty much the same thing.
SPRINGS02

Post by SPRINGS02 »

Mephisto wrote:^ Indeed. But that's in the west, pal.

Maybe, in Asia, things are different. I heard that handheld dominates most of the east. Why the same thing can't happen with mobile, too? It's pretty much the same thing.
Yeah but i'm not talking about handheld like nintedo ds or ps vita, i meant phone games that are on smartphones and stuff. Handhelds definitely do much better in the east from what i've heard. But mobile games just seem like a weird market to try to shift silent hill to.
Typographenia

Post by Typographenia »

Today, GungHo Online Entertainment, creator of chart-smashing mobile game Puzzle & Dragons announced its second-quarter and first-half results for its current fiscal year.

For the first half of the year, GungHo raked in profits of 53.7 billion yen ($523 million) on revenues of 94.3 billion yen ($918 million).

The company had revenues of 44.4 billion yen ($432 million) for its most recent quarter and profits of 24.9 billion yen ($243 million). This is actually slightly down both year-on-year and quarter-on-quarter, which the company ascribes to a mixture of seasonality, increased promotional activity, and Japan's recent sales tax hike (the company chose not to raise the price of its in-game items.)
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/2222 ... profit.php

You can somewhat imagine the incentive to want a piece of the pie. And this is an older article.
Kenji

Post by Kenji »

The basic appeal of mobile games, from a businessman's standpoint, isn't hard to figure out.

Much, and I do mean much, is made of the games' industry being valued at the billions level. That kind of protestation ("doth protest too much") is what makes me wary about the actual health of the industry, as I think I've discussed elsewhere.

The used-games market exists because of (while simultaneously exacerbating) a supply glut. A variety of factors have come together to make most video games one-month consumables instead of something you go back to over and over again (like, to use the most uncontroversial example, an old-school Nintendo game). A company like GameStop, whose main business is that of a pawnshop, logicks it like this: Why pay the publisher for a new bulk shipment whose viability a month down the line is shaky when you can pay a gamer much less for an individual copy he's bored with and resell for 10% off on the sticker price?

This is where JIT production practices come in: i.e. GameStop pushes preorders, which feeds the data back to the publishers, who use that data to determine how many copies to print (± a reasonable error percentage) to preserve the market price and prevent a situation where excess copies glower down upon customers, raising niggling doubts about how good something is because that same copy's been sitting there for six months. This is where the shifting emphasis to digital games (whose per-copy production costs are zero) is coming from. It's also where PC product-key DRM and Microsoft's attempt to introduce the same practices to the Xbox One come from... and, scandal aside, there was actual logic to it, outside of the much-touted greed: This was an attempt to prolong physical games releases in the face of this glut.

Add to all of this the rising production costs of games, themselves. While home consoles (which, themselves, are positioned in the market as disruptive competitors to PC gaming, to bring in more than hobbyist nerds) are dragged upmarket by the cheapening of technology, labor costs and expectations of timeliness are maintained. Actually, the timeliness factor gets even worse, because the need to produce games quickly and with the requisite production goodness decreases the complexity of each game, feeding into the one-month production expiration date and the need to produce more games, more quickly. So, simply to hold the line for as long as possible, production teams grow enormous and, with all that labor, so do production costs. Generalized engines (e.g. Unreal) become necessary, just to blunt the edge.

This is the environment where mobile games become attractive: The idea of combining digital release's infinite copies at zero extra cost, along with the significantly lower cost and expectations for mobile games. In theory, it combines the advantages of the AAA games' (d?)evolution and the oncoming generation of children who were raised by smartphones because their parents are either too busy or too disinterested to look after them properly. However, because of that production muscle and hustle brought about by console games' situation, there's already an impossible glut of mobile games so enormous that, short of some kind of viral marketing coup, it's extremely difficult to get noticed by potential customers.

This holds mobile games down to their lowered expectations, shapes the attitudes of potential customers outside of the spoiled/neglected-child bracket, and basically makes the whole thing a siren song to nowhere.
SPRINGS02

Post by SPRINGS02 »

No i get that mobile games are waaay cheaper to make and less of a gamble, and there are definitely some massively successful ones, i'm not arguing against that. But for every mobile game that does amazing, there are a ton of duds, the mobile game market is flooded with more games than consoles i'd say. I'm just curious what makes konami think that silent hill would be better off in a mobile market, it clearly doesn't fit the mold of what most mobile games are, i can't see it really blowing up on mobile. Unless they were talking about just focusing on mobile gaming in general.
Kenji

Post by Kenji »

I can understand Fatal Frame being adapted to a mobile-type game (with Spirit Camera being the template), but yeah, it's hard to see how Silent Hill could do such a thing.

Truthfully, a lot of that was me putting down my unease in writing, which let me develop it a bit more than if I had just been knocking it around in my head.

I know there's a lot of press about the rise of mobile gaming, and that the digital and production-on-demand models are legitimate evolutions, rather than the forced thing that they tend to be portrayed as (I'm not immune to portraying them as such) ... but I'm really uneasy about what it means for our hobby, as a whole.

Like, I see the way fiction seems to be degenerating, in general (though i'm not quite willing to definitively state it is, because there's just so much coming out at once, and all "golden ages" are defined by the chaff being forgotten: The "what's really good" percentage could be the same), and I think to myself, "There's no reason to think gaming can't go down a similar path."

Change isn't inherently bad... but I like things the way they are. :P
Mantorok
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Mantorok »

I don't know if Konami confirmed specifically if Silent Hill will go mobile. I hope not however as it would be terrible, this just isn't a series that can port to mobile very well.

I mean I've seen some people say Book of Memories was good, but as I've said before, I don't mind Book of Memories as part of the SH series, I just don't want it AS the SH series.
Mephisto

Post by Mephisto »

SPRINGS02 wrote:Yeah but i'm not talking about handheld like nintedo ds or ps vita, i meant phone games that are on smartphones and stuff.
Yeah, I got it. I actually never wrote what you thought... Whatever. Both of us agree that mobile games are trash anyway. S'all that matters.
clips
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by clips »

Didn't Konami make a SH mobile game already? I'm not sure how well it did sales-wise, but i think i remember them making one. In any case i don't see why they both can't co-exist. It's hard to know and to trust what Konami plans to do because they cancelled such a promising project with Kojima and Toro.
dias17se
Just Passing Through

Post by dias17se »

clips wrote:Didn't Konami make a SH mobile game already? I'm not sure how well it did sales-wise, but i think i remember them making one. In any case i don't see why they both can't co-exist. It's hard to know and to trust what Konami plans to do because they cancelled such a promising project with Kojima and Toro.
Wasn´t that POS Book of Memories a phone game ?
Seal of Megatron
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Seal of Megatron »

Book of memories was a vita game. There was a sh game on older mobiles. It was awfull.
Who's the man? Me!!