Silent Hills cancelled

Come here to chat about Kojima's now sadly defunct Silent Hills.

Moderator: Moderators

Droo

Re: Silent Hills may be in trouble

Post by Droo »

Surely to God Konami will at least have to address this at E3, right? There's no way they will be able to continue to dodge the question.
"Oh yeah, I've been here before
I can see it with eyes closed
Shadows that look like blood
Dead as far as the mind goes
Fear that comes from my head
Lives in the mirror"
fudgestix

Post by fudgestix »

Apparently there was a big Japanese game industry awards and neither Kojima or Konami arrived to collect any of the awards they were given (including one for PT).

I mean, maybe people are reading too much into his absence with everything that has gone off lately, but it seems pretty strange that no one was there at all to collect.
THE RULES! [click me and learn]
"I think I'd prefer a sword over a penis anyday." - Wigeke
Mxpn - Restless Night (bandcamp)
KiramidHead
Historical Society Historian

Post by KiramidHead »

Droo wrote:Surely to God Konami will at least have to address this at E3, right? There's no way they will be able to continue to dodge the question.
Konami hasn't shown its face at E3 since it embarrassed the hell out of itself a few years back.
Typographenia

Post by Typographenia »

KiramidHead wrote:Konami hasn't shown its face at E3 since it embarrassed the hell out of itself a few years back.
They've been there. They just don't do much of anything. Last year, they had their booth in the same spot, but they wouldn't let you film anything near there (granted, all they had was the Metal Gear trailer playing).
Who knows!
Matt S
Gravedigger

Post by Matt S »

Konami is Konami; they are useless
RIP Silent Hills
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

MistahJ
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by MistahJ »

Okay, now this pisses me off. I haven't gotten a chance to play the game myself since I don't own a PS4, as I'm sure most of you guys don't as well. I love how something that got so much attention and love (for the most part) is now potentially screwed. Thanks Konami.
"The truth is rarely pure and never simple" - Oscar Wilde

(somethinglacking on Discord)
TMALIVE
Just Passing Through

P.T. is being taken down.

Post by TMALIVE »

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2015/04/26/k ... tion-store

P.T is being removed from the PSN store. That pretty much means Silent Hills is dead. Whatever that game was going to be, it's dead now. But the worse part is? They're killing P.T. with it. And P.T. was it's own horror game that people bought a PS4 to play and experience. P.T. was a game that'll be known as a historical moment in gaming as a hidden teaser trailer in a cool game within itself (And was also given for free), and now that game is gonna die. It's gonna be murdered, and never played again, except for those who preserve it on an external harddrive, which I will buy for my PS4, just to keep this game from dying on my end. This is why I hate Publishers. Unlike movie studios that keep their crap alive for years and years, publishers just let their art rot and die, with hardly any care to preserve it at all.
Last edited by fudgestix on 26 Apr 2015, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged with current PT troubles thread for consistency.
aj4x94

Post by aj4x94 »

This is looking uglier and uglier as time goes by. I'm worried that it might in fact, be cancelled.
You can take my heart
And hold it together as we fall apart
Maybe together we can make a mark in the stars we embark
And keep us together as the lights go dark
Typographenia

Re: P.T. is being taken down.

Post by Typographenia »

Don't own a PS4 yet, but I went ahead and "purchased" it now. Hoping it will still be available to people who have it in their list. : \

While all signs point towards this being the end of "Silent Hills," this isn't the nail in the coffin just yet.
fudgestix

Post by fudgestix »

aj4x94 wrote:This is looking uglier and uglier as time goes by. I'm worried that it might in fact, be cancelled.
At this point I think it's probably a safe bet. I mean, there could be a chance that they're cutting Kojima out of the picture and starting fresh, but somehow I think that's overly optimistic.

This weird nonsense is going on too. I find the initial quote the use to be pretty interesting:
The next project will challenge a certain type of taboo, if I mess up, I'll probably have to leave the industry. However, I don't want to pass by avoiding that. I turn 47 this year. It's been 24 years since I started making games. Today, I got an ally who would happily support me in that risk. Although it's just one person. For a start, it's good.
It's originally from 2010, but oddly relevant.
THE RULES! [click me and learn]
"I think I'd prefer a sword over a penis anyday." - Wigeke
Mxpn - Restless Night (bandcamp)
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

I hate to be one of those people, but it honestly seems like Silent Hill as a franchise is pretty fucked at this point. Konami's pretty much actively grinding it's nuts into the ground.

Do they not like money?
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
SPRINGS02
Location: i'm sick of these monkey fighting snakes on this monday to friday plane.

Post by SPRINGS02 »

^Yeah, it looks like this could be the nail in the coffin for the series. What a waste. Konami has been making some strange choices.

Well, i'm glad i downloaded pt, and i'll definitely make sure i never delete it.
Oniros
Just Passing Through

Post by Oniros »

One can only experience true despair after bring given the hope that things were going to get better.

I think this is it. We reached the bad ending.
NanayaShiki
SHH Cult & SHHF Moderator
SHH Cult & SHHF Moderator

Post by NanayaShiki »

Not sure if this has been posted or not, but Del Toro is also saying it's not gonna happen.
https://twitter.com/tvsmatthackney/stat ... 7427447808
That combined with PT being taken down is pretty much the nail in the coffin for me.

Is this the first time we've had a major Silent Hill title announced and canceled? I don't like this feeling, and I was even more cautious about this game than most. I'm not too worried that the series will go under completely, but despite it feeling like Downpour and Book of Memories was just yesterday, apparently this is the longest gap of time we've gone without a new Silent Hill game.
TMALIVE
Just Passing Through

Post by TMALIVE »

Like I said before, Silent Hills is pretty much unofficially cancelled. It doesn't mean the end for Silent Hill, but it is the end for this game. Think of it like Uncharted 4. Yes, we're still gonna get one. But the version that was originally announced with Amy Hennig as Creative Director is dead.
Matt S
Gravedigger

Post by Matt S »

Its dead

Even if Konami does another Silent hill, it'll be more of the Downpour variety than the potential of 'Silent hills'
RIP Silent Hills
MistahJ
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by MistahJ »

Matt S wrote:Its dead

Even if Konami does another Silent hill, it'll be more of the Downpour variety than the potential of 'Silent hills'
I guess there is always a chance they will hire someone on who knows what they are doing? ...But yet again they don't seem to care anymore so...yeah it isn't looking very good :(.
"The truth is rarely pure and never simple" - Oscar Wilde

(somethinglacking on Discord)
Strawberry Thunder
Just Passing Through

It's been confirmed that Silent Hills has been cancelled.

Post by Strawberry Thunder »

Rinku95
Just Passing Through

Post by Rinku95 »

[​IMG]
One of the biggest announcements from GamesCom 2014 was Silent Hills, a collaboration between Metal Gear creator Hideo Kojima and film director Guillermo del Toro. This game may never actually be released, though.

During a panel discussion at the San Francisco Film Festival last night, del Toro reportedly said that Silent Hills was cancelled:

https://twitter.com/tvsmatthackney/stat ... 7427447808

Silent Hills' announcement last summer was accompanied by the release of a short demo called P.T. ("Playable Teaser"). The Fox Engine-powered demo let players explore a home infested with supernatural monsters. It closes with a trailer for Silent Hills starring Norman Reedus of The Walking Dead fame.

Even if you don't believe that Guillermo del Toro said the game's cancelled, you should be concerned that Konami has decided to pull P.T. from the PlayStation Store. A new notice on P.T.'s website says that the game will no longer be available for download after April 29th.

Silent Hills's apparent cancellation isn't because people disliked P.T.. The teaser was widely praised, in fact. Gamers downloaded it over a million times by September, too, so there was clearly interest in a new Silent Hill game.

Instead, the cancellation is more likely due to Hideo Kojima's imminent departure from Konami. Kojima, the director of Silent Hills, will be departing the company afterMetal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain launches in September. Although Konami was quick to assure gamers that the Metal Gear series will continue after Kojima leaves, they were mum about the fate of Silent Hills.

Silent Hills will be the third Guillermo del Toro-helmed video game to be cancelled. His horror game inSANE was scuttled by THQ three years back, presumably due to that publisher's financial troubles. In 2006, he tried to make a Left 4 Dead-like game with Terminal Reality called Sundown. Here's hoping he has better luck with future gaming projects.

-------------------------------------------------

It's cancelled. Damn. Why Konami.
The Spanish Guy