Combat Thread: Tips on Fighting SH monsters (Tips needed!)

Stuck in a Silent Hill game? Seems like there's no way out? Seek help here...

Moderator: Moderators

aj4x94
Historical Society Historian

Combat Thread: Tips on Fighting SH monsters (Tips needed!)

Post by aj4x94 »

Anyone posting on this thread can show anyone the best strategy for fighting a particular monster in any of the Silent Hill games. Just remember to mark any spoilers, and what game you're talking about.
heavensnightsh

Post by heavensnightsh »

My very small 2 cents. Some of the monsters that have been tackled on the Wiki so far have some strategies as well :)
[img]http://i41.tinypic.com/dbmhpc.gif[/img]
(o ) ( 0)[size=75]WOOO!|[url=http://www.silenthillheaven.com/wiki]Silent Hill Wiki[/url]|[img]http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s278/razrguy/tray.gif[/img]"What the hell is it?"[/size]
( ) ­ [size=75]I wanna thank you for this chance to be [color=teal]angels[/color] [/size]
[img]http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s278/razrguy/Pokemon.gif[/img][img]http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s278/razrguy/HarryPotter-2.gif[/img][img]http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s278/razrguy/LGDare.gif[/img] Thank you Harrys_Girl for the Drawing Block!
[size=59][I am currently permitted to display a larger avatar thanks to my status as a supporter of SHHF][/size]
aj4x94

Post by aj4x94 »

One problem I have myself though, is a better way to fight the Siams in Homecoming. I always get hit by them. Which weapon would be better to use for them? The axe, or the pipe?
You can take my heart
And hold it together as we fall apart
Maybe together we can make a mark in the stars we embark
And keep us together as the lights go dark
heavensnightsh

Post by heavensnightsh »

:S No idea. I didn't even know we had a strategy up for that on the Wiki yet :lol: But I stay away from anything Homecoming related on the Wiki besides the main page of it.
(o ) ( 0)[size=75]WOOO!|[url=http://www.silenthillheaven.com/wiki]Silent Hill Wiki[/url]|[img]http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s278/razrguy/tray.gif[/img]"What the hell is it?"[/size]
( ) ­ [size=75]I wanna thank you for this chance to be [color=teal]angels[/color] [/size]
[img]http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s278/razrguy/Pokemon.gif[/img][img]http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s278/razrguy/HarryPotter-2.gif[/img][img]http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s278/razrguy/LGDare.gif[/img] Thank you Harrys_Girl for the Drawing Block!
[size=59][I am currently permitted to display a larger avatar thanks to my status as a supporter of SHHF][/size]
fatality268
Just Passing Through

Post by fatality268 »

Attacking a siam with a melee weapon is really difficult I usually don't last very long. I usually saved 2 or 3 shotgun shells just in case i ran into one. :)
CursedxDoom
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by CursedxDoom »

Ah... I'm very familiar with monster strategy in Silent Hill 2, and pretty familiar with those in the original. This is just a placeholder, but I'll get around to posting some soon. :)
angelofROOM302

Post by angelofROOM302 »

I'll post strategies for Origins! :mrgreen:
heavensnightsh

Post by heavensnightsh »

After some stuff gets written up, do you mind if we add it to the SH Wiki? With proper crediting of course ;) It would be very helpful. Thanks!
aj4x94

Post by aj4x94 »

heavensnightsh wrote:After some stuff gets written up, do you mind if we add it to the SH Wiki? With proper crediting of course ;) It would be very helpful. Thanks!
Go ahead. Its for everyone to see. I'm going to post some SH2 monster strategies soon too!
aj4x94

Post by aj4x94 »

Silent Hill 2
NOTE: This guide was written on Normal difficulty.

Lying Figure: 3-4 hits with the Wooden Plank or 3-5 shots from the Handgun (depending on how far away you are) should be sufficient enough to knock a Lying Figure to the ground. At this point, immediately lower you weapon and run up to to fallen creature, and press the attack button to administer the Coup de grâce with your foot. Be careful when the LF is on the ground, as it starts to dart around the place at a very fast pace, and if you make contact with its front side, you will take some damage. This is something to watch out for, especially if you get caught in a doorway, where the LF will bump into you until you die.

Mannequin: Use the Steel Pipe when fighting Mannequins. About 3 hits should floor it, allowing you to finish it with a stomp. Be aware that some Mannequins lay still in the dark, not triggering the radio until James is right in front of the monster, or shines the flashlight on it. During the nighttime, they will randomly fall down the sides of buildings, or from trees on the road to the Museum, so stay on your toes.

Nurses: Nurses are very dangerous upclose,with only 4-5 hits from their pipes needed to kill you so it would be wise to keep your distance. The Handgun is your best friend when fighting these monsters. About 4-5 bullets should be enough to lay them on the ground so you can introduce them to your foot. If you have no choice but to engage a Nurse in melee combat, take advantage of the Steel Pipe's long reach to keep them at a good distance.

Cockroach: Even though this monster is more of a nuisance than an actual threat, it is better to just run past them. However, in small cramped areas, the small amount of damage they deal can add up quickly. One shot from your Handgun should be enough to stop the insect so you can squish it under your shoe.

Mandarin: You will only encounter these creatures in areas where there is floor grating, where they swing under the surface. It is a waste of time to try to kill a Mandarin, as there are usually more than one around, and you can easily just run right past them.

Abstract Daddy: The Shotgun is the weapon of choice when fighting these huge lumbering monsters. Two shots should be enough to knock it to the floor so you can finish it off. Be aware that Abstract Daddys are much faster than they appear, so keeping a good distance away from them would be a smart idea. If you have Rifle shells to spare, shoot the monster from afar, and save yourself from some damage.
You can take my heart
CursedxDoom
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by CursedxDoom »

Heh, shows how slow I am. I'll add some strategies to the SH2 monsters aj4x94 has already thrown out, although his are very good on their own. :)

Lying Figure: When attacking with a melee weapon, it's unwise to approach them from the front while their standing on any difficulty higher than Easy, since they're pretty quick to use their spraying attack. A good strategy is to approach them quickly from the back; approaching them from the front, baiting them to spray, then quickly strafing to the left/right and rushing in for a combo-attack also works (this may take a bit of practice, however). In any situation, they pause for a moment after spraying: use it to your advantage.

Another thing to note is their more relaxed nature inside buildings, especially with the flashlight switched off. Don't give them the benefit of the doubt on higher difficulties, though: either avoid 'em carefully or destroy 'em quickly.

Mannequin: As stated before, you'll initially encounter them in a still, "frozen" position, and the radio will not detect them until you're in close proximity or you use a firearm. If you're close when they "unfreeze", they'll immediately take a swing in your direction, so keep a decent distance. I'll agree that using the steel pipe is a good strategy, especially the long-range jabbing attack.

Nurses: I'd like to further stess the threat these creatures pose in close quarters combat. On the Normal and Hard difficulties, Nurses are fast, powerful, and have decent reach with their pipe attacks. If one happens to be bearing down on you fast, a quick blast with the shotgun will usually stun it long enough (or perhaps down it completely, but don't count on it) for you to scurry away or continue your attack with another weapon.

Cockroaches: The strategies already given are on the money, so I'll leave it as is. :)

Mandarin: Running is definitely the best strategy, and the only attack you'll have to deal with is a tiny "spike" that they thrust up through the grating. They're easy to avoid, and not worth wasting ammunition on.

Abstract Daddy: The only attack they have is to rush on top of you and attempt so suffocate(?) you. Keep in mind that these creatures can use this attack from further away than you'd initially expect, so keep your distance.

I'll also take this opportunity to add some boss strategies, and I'll put them under individual spoiler boxes. View them at your own discretion...

Boss #1:
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
Red Pyramid Thing: The only thing you have to do is avoid this guy for a preset time limit, depending on the difficulty you're playing at. On Very Easy and Easy, the time limit is either ridiculously short or fairly short (respectively) and he's slow in movement and attack. Normal difficulty ups the time limit quite a bit, and he's decently fast with his quick-swipe and overhead swing attacks. Hard mode increases the time even more, and drastically increases his movement and attack speed.

The stairwell in which this all takes place is actually very small, so you'll have to be attentive no matter what the difficulty. When avoiding, it's usually best to move along the North and West walls of the room, either running or strafe-running. RPT will use a grabbing attack if you come too close, so keep your distance. If you're willing to use up a bit of ammo, a handgun shot will slow RPT down, making him easier to avoid.

A couple other things to note: When he's leaving the room and proceeding towards the stairs, he can easily whip around and swing his sword overhead at you. Keep away while he's leaving, and he won't bother you.

Also, on any difficulty higher than Easy, one overhead swing from his sword is an insta-kill. Exercise extreme caution in these situations, especiallly on Hard difficulty.
Boss #2:
Flesh Lips: You'll encounter two of these things (with another one appearing later in the fight) in a fairly cramped room, hanging from the ceiling and attacking when James is directly under one of 'em.

The best weapon to use for this fight is the shotgun, since it has the potential to strike more than one target at once. Develop a pattern of strafing around the room, occasionally stopping to let off a shotgun blast, and continuing the process. Watch their positions, especially when there's two coming at you at once, and if you find yourself cornered and unable to move around the room's edges anymore, make a quick dash straight across the room to the other side. That'll usually be enough to shake 'em off and give you time to let off a shotgun blast.

Obviously, the fight increases in challenge as the difficulty level increases, with the monsters increasing in speed and attack power. You can relax a bit on Very Easy and Easy difficulties, but pay careful attention on any difficulty higher than that.
Boss #3:
Abstract Daddy: Your first encounter with this type of monster also happens to be the most difficult. The room is cramped and narrow, and the monster is more powerful as far as I can tell.

The weapon of choice for this fight is either the shotgun or rifle (for their stopping power), depending on the difficulty level and how much damage you're willing to take. On Easy and Normal difficulties, use whichever you please, depending on your ammo reserves. Normal and Hard difficulties, however, require some planning. Both the shotgun and rifle have "recover" times after firing, the rifle moreso than the shotgun, so consider this carefully.

Otherwise, follow the strategies already posted for this monster.
I'll edit this later with the final two boss strategies. If anyone has questions, comments, or anything to add or fix to what I've said (including the bosses I haven't gotten around to yet), post 'em. :wink:
angelofROOM302

Post by angelofROOM302 »

I will add mine for Silent Hill Origins;

----------------------
=Nurses= Ahhh, yes! The traditional return of the nurses are back, but
these are prettier! ^_^
These are the most humanistic creatures you'll come in contact
with. They are seen wearing a nurses uniform of course and high
heels. They have no faces.
Seen - Alchemilla Hospital, Cedar Grove Sanitarium
Attacking - The nurses carry knives with them now & believe me, they know
how to use them.
Speed - Moderate speed.
Power - Low power.
Grappling - Yes. Tap the X button to escape.
Suggestions - I suggest since the nurses can be pretty strong that you go on
and fight them with melee weapons. You could turn out the light
to slip past them if you'd like, but if you're in a tight hall
or if they are right in your face, I say kill 'em.

-----------------------
=Straightjackets= Here they return! They are the guys that wobble around with
their upper body kept in a straightjacket of skin.
Seen - Streets of Silent Hill, Cedar Grove Sanitarium, Arthad Theatre
and Lakeside Motel
Attacking - These freaks are horrible! This time they don't just let you get
pass easily either. They have two very good attacks. One, where
they shoot yellow acid balls at you and their aim has improved!
Two, they jump on Travis in a straddle position, leaving you to
have to grabble out of their attacks.
Speed - Slow to moderate speed.
Power - Low power.
Grappling - Yes! You'll need a combo of two buttons to escape.
Suggestions - Throughout the game you will run into tons of straightjackets.
If you encounter them on the street, either ignore them or use
melee weapons. If you encounter them in a hallway or a room, use
a melee or firearm but try not to blast too many with firearms.

------------------------
=Carrions= The Carrion is a massive beast used to represent all of the road
kill Travis has ripped through in his truck. They are usually seen
spinning around randomly in a circle, walking away from you with
their huge buttocks in the air and sometimes they will appear even
twice their size! *gulp*
Seen - Cedar Grove Sanitarium, Streets of Silent Hill, Artaud Theatre,
Lakeside Motel and Nightmare Silent Hill.
Attacking - Like a 500Lb linebacker, they will ram into you.
Speed - Slow speed.
Power - High power.
Grappling - No, thank goodness!
Suggestions - These guys are huge, but they're not a bother. Their speed is
pretty slow, so it's best for you to just keep out of their way
especially in the streets. I advise you that if you must attack
to stick to a firearm or throwing objects.

------------------------
=Remnants= Also know as the invisible creatures, the remnants are barely
noticed. They are shrimpy in size. If you get close enough, you can
see that they are nothing but an empty cage - like thing and their
shadow makes them look most freaky. Check them out.
Seen - Only in Cedar Grove Sanitarium.
Attacking - It's nearly impossible to see what attacks that these do, but
they swing their bodies (cage thingies) at you which doesn't
even really cause that much damage.
Speed - Slow speed.
Damage - Low power.
Grappling - No grappling.
Suggestions - These are pretty useless creatures. They probably won't even
attack you unless you walk right into them, but if for some
reason they do attack you just use a melee weapon.

-------------------------
=Ariels= The Ariels are the most creative so far. You'll see them in Artaud
Theatre. They look like wooden dolls, kind of like a ventriloquist
dummy, but not painted. They will either be suspended from the ceiling
or walking up to you upside down on their hands on the ground.
Seen - Only in Artaud Theatre.
Attacking - They will lunge at you, causing some damage to Travis if they're
on the ground. If they're on the ceiling, they will grab Travis'
face and you'll have to grapple out of their hold or they will
attack you.
Speed - Moderate speed.
Damage - Moderate power.
Grappling - Yes. Just tap the X button.
Suggestions - Ariels are nearly impossible to ignore, so destroy them when you
get the chance to using a melee weapon. You can try to turn off
your light to sneak past them, but it'll only work sometimes.

=Calibans= You first see him as a boss, but now you'll see these freaks all
over the place. They are the huge, beige creatures that walk the
town on all fours. Once you defeat them, they'll develop these
invisible patches and will disintegrate into a green poof of smoke.
If you hear sounds such as Godzilla stomping around, street lights
breaking and pot holes jumping up and down a Caliban is nearby.
Seen - As a boss in Artaud Theatre, Streets of Silent Hill, Lakeview
Motel and in Nightmare Silent Hill.
Attacking - Eh, if they're lucky, they'll ram into you, causing a large
amount of damage.
Speed - Slow speed.
Damage - Very high power.
Grappling - Nope.
Suggestions - Since they are so large and powerful, I suggest avoiding them as
much as possible. If you aren't playing around and bumbling
around town like an idiot, they probably will never attack you
if you just keep your distance. If they do or you need to
attack, use the Assault Rifle or throw objects at him and good
luck to you.

=Two-Backs= These are the most interesting creatures I’ve met so far in Silent
Hill. Said to represent Travis' sexual frustrations, (which I don't
see) it's only convenient that you meet them in Lakeview Hotel.
These creatures are hulking in size and very powerful. If you see a
huge blobby like human thing with a smaller blobby human thing on
it's tummy you have encountered a two-back.
Seen - Lakeview Motel and Nightmare Silent Hill.
Attacking - These creatures are very powerful and attack without warning.
They'll either take a swipe at you or will jump on you causing
you to grapple out of their attacks which can result in a very
powerful blows.
Speed - Moderate to fast speed.
Damage - Moderate to high damage.
Grappling - Yes. You will use a two button sequence.
Suggestions - Use the Shotgun or any other firearms you have. They will attack
as soon as they know that you are present. Try to keep your
distance from these bad boys and start shooting as if it were
second nature for you. Once they're dead they'll groan and stop
moving. Tragic, eh?
----------------------------[/b]
aj4x94

Post by aj4x94 »

Guys this is great! Keep it up. By the way, Angel just a quick pointer, Remnants cause about medium to high amounts of damage. I hate them almost as much as a hate Carrions with their lunge attacks. But otherwise, I really like your detailed monster analysis. :)
You can take my heart
heavensnightsh

Post by heavensnightsh »

This is great work guys. I'll go through, combine, if that's ok, the strategies, remove anything that repeats, and add it up to the wiki :D
angelofROOM302

Post by angelofROOM302 »

Guys this is great! Keep it up. By the way, Angel just a quick pointer, Remnants cause about medium to high amounts of damage. I hate them almost as much as a hate Carrions with their lunge attacks. But otherwise, I really like your detailed monster analysis.
Thanks so much!
I must edit this! :mrgreen:
I noticed this yesterday too when I was replaying, that they do pretty good damage. Usually I run past them without them even touching me, but I was using the Butcher's knife so I had to get kinda close to them and they kept wacking me out of health.
aj4x94

Post by aj4x94 »

[/quote]
Thanks so much!
I must edit this! :mrgreen:
I noticed this yesterday too when I was replaying, that they do pretty good damage. Usually I run past them without them even touching me, but I was using the Butcher's knife so I had to get kinda close to them and they kept wacking me out of health.[/quote]

Its a good idea to keep your distance with Remnants. Use a one-use weapon like the TV and throw it. The shotgun works well too. But I'll let you in on a trick if you don't know it already. If you manage to sneak up behind almost any monster, use a strong attack like a stab from a knife weapon (Foward+X), or a thrust from the baton, and 90% of the time, you will instantly floor the monster, allowing you to finish it off. Its worked wonders for me. If you have any questions, please reply.
lyndatu
Just Passing Through

Creature Tips

Post by lyndatu »

I'll post one as well! I've only played Silent Hill 2, 4 and Origins, but here goes:

Silent Hill 2

Lying Figure

Monstrous humanoids that appear to be wrapped in straight-jackets made from their own flesh. They have a small slit on their chests where they spray a tar-like substance to James if he gets too close. When they are knocked down to the ground, they will skittishly move and squirm everywhere on the floor and they become extremely fast at this time. You can also find them hiding under cars and will crawl out quickly when you get close, so don't let your guard down.
They represent James' internal suffering, sexual frustrations and the way he smothered Mary to death.
Locations: First trip in the streets of Silent Hill, Woodside Apartments, Blue Creek Apartments, Historical Society, Toluca Prison, Foggy and Alternate Hotel

Damage: Low

Speed: Slow on foot, but extremely fast when crawling on the ground

Tactics: In Easy mode they are slow moving and don't deal much damage, but in higher modes they are noticably faster and deadlier. A melee weapon should be enough to knock them down, but be careful because they will spray acid at you almost instantly once you get right infront of them. They won't stop spraying until they've hit you or you've hit them. When you have knocked them down to the floor, immediately press X to deliver James' death stomp because they will quickly crawl away from you and will stand up, having you to knock them out again. If you have a good amount of ammo, use your handgun, but if there are more than one Lying Figure attacking you, use the shotgun(but do not use the shotgun on taking down one Lying Figure - it's a real waste of bullets). When you encounter a Lying Figure in a fairly open space but can't use firearms, go near it, but not too close that you're in its attack range. Allow it to spray its acid mist and back away a bit to avoid it. Once it's finished spraying, run to it and hit it immediately with your melee weapon, but be quick because the intervals between the monsters' sprays is pretty short, and they won't stop their spraying frenzy until they've hit you or you hit them as stated above. You can also allow it to spray then keep running around the creature and wait for an opening so you can hit it while it's facing a different direction, but still be quick. If possible, run away from them instead of fighting, but if you meet them in tight spaces(particularly in the apartment levels), kill them. Note that they can still hit you while they are skittishly crawling on the ground so keep your distance. I also noticed that, as others have noted, they are less aggressive and are easier to kill indoors, but still take caution.

Mannequin

Odd creatures that appear to be a doll with two pairs of legs - the other pair being the top of their torso. They don't pose much of a threat and are fairly easy to kill, but they have the advantage of stealth, as they stay still and do not trigger James' radio unless he's close to them. They are easier enemies than Lying Figures, but are slightly more damaging.
They represent James' sexual frustration.
Locations: Woodside Apartments, Blue Creek Apartments, Brookhaven Hospital, Third and Second trip to the streets of Silent Hill, Foggy Hotel

Damage: Low

Speed: Low

Tactics: the mannequins have only one attack - smack you with their upper "legs". You can predict their attack when they start rushing at James. As others have noted, the Steel Pipe works well against these enemies because of its good range, but in some cases when you're outrun, use the handgun. Be sure to stab them using the pipe instead of smacking them because they might hit you first before you do. During the outdoor levels, it's better if you run away from them instead of engaging into battle.

Bubble-Head Nurse

Frightening, female nurses with grotesquely disfigured faces and wear bloody hospital uniforms. They make monstrous feminine noises and they twitch violently. They wield rusty steel pipes that pose a serious threat to James because of its range and strength. They are also pretty fast, making them even more dangerous.
They represent James' sexual desires and frustrations during his time at Mary's hospital.
Location: Brookhaven Hospital, Third trip to the streets of Silent Hill

Damage: Medium

Speed: Medium - Medium High

Tactics: During your encounters with them in the hospital area, it's very difficult to run past them without taking damage, particularly in Normal and Hard modes, mainly because of the tight spaces where you fight them. Their speed, range and power should not be underestimated. The best melee weapon to use against them is of course the Steel Pipe, but it's much better if you use firearms as it's risky to go near them. To avoid damage or dying, do not use melee weapons when encountering more than one of them in fairly open spaces(like hospital rooms) or when two of them are closing in on you on a hall. Four to five shots of the handgun should knock them down in Hard mode, then kill them with James' death stomp with the X button. A blast of the shotgun does well in knocking them down, specially when they're in groups. To better use the Steel Pipe, turn off the flashlight so you can hit them before they can smack you with their pipes. Be sure to stab them with the pipe rather than smacking them because smacking has a shorter range. On the outdoor level, it's best to simply run past them to prevent damage.

Mandarin

Gorilla-like creatures with massive, tube-like arms and appear to wear a skirt. They are found hanging under steel-grating floors, and when James walks above them, they will release a small, tongue-like spike from the ends of their arms, which can cause fair damage.
They represent Mary's suffering and James' masochistic thoughts over her.
Locations: Third trip in the streets of Silent Hill, Toluca Prison and Alternate Hotel.

Speed: Medium

Tactics: It's best to simply run past them. They're very easy to avoid, just as long you don't stay above them too long. Be sure to run fast, as they can sometimes attack pretty quickly, so cornered hallways can be a problem, but not really something to worry about. When you bump onto a wall, just keep running to the right direction - you can escape them before they can attack. You will know when there's a Mandarin approaching when you're in a tight hallway with metal-grating floors, and you hear monstrous, panting noises. If you want some fun, kill them with your handgun, but it will take a good number of bullets to defeat them and it's mostly not a necessity.

Abstract Daddy

Small, fleshy, hulking creatures that has an appearance of what seems to be a person on top of another, on a bed(it appears to be rape). The "bed" has four human feet that enables it to walk pretty fast towards James. It has a "mouth" under the bed which it uses either to devour James' head or smother him to death.
They represent Angela Orosco's experiences with her abusive father.

Damage: Medium-High

Speed: Medium High

Tactics: These are pretty powerful enemies, but you encounter five of them in the game in all difficulty levels - One being a boss(will be tackled later) and four being common enemies in Lakeview Hotel. It only has one attack, but it's really deadly - it will reach over James head and attempt to suffocate/eat his head. They are also suprisingly fast. You encounter them in twos, so you find them rushing towards you, shoot them once, then run away from them for a good distance, then shoot again. If they are pretty far away from you, keep shooting until they collapse to the ground, then stomp them to finish them of. The Shotgun is excellent for these enemies, but in harder modes, the Rifle is preferable because of its power. The longer James is being held by the monster, the more damage he takes, so repeatedly press directional, action and shoulder buttons as fast as you can to break free. When In Normal and Hard mode, always monitor your health because you'll never know if one grapple of this enemy will lead you straight to death before you can escape. Using melee weapons is very risky(but using the Great Knife can be fun), so use your firearms to subdue them. In Easy mode you can use your Handgun to knock them out but in higher modes do not use this weapon as it will take longer for you to kill them and they're dangerously fast.

Bosses

First Encounter With Pyramid Head

With his disturbing appearance and deadly attacks, he has become one of the most popular characters in the franchise. He is slowed down by the heavy pyramid helmet he's wearing, but slaughters people and monsters alike with either his gigantic sword(or knife) or lightweight spear.
He symbolizes James' guilt for killing Mary.

Damage: Medium-High

Speed: Slow

Tactics: Do note that Pyramid Head cannot be killed in this fight - you only have to avoid and survive his attacks for a certain length of time. After the time has passed, he will leave and the battle is over. The time you have to wait for him to leave depends on your difficulty level. In Beginner and Easy modes the time is ridiculously short(maybe around 10 - 30 seconds), but in Normal and Hard modes the battle will last longer(around 2 - 5 minutes). He will be wielding The Great Knife for this battle, which has dangerous power and good range. To avoid his attacks, simply run to a corner and wait for him to walk near you. When he's close enough(but not too close that he'll attack you), run to the opposite corner of the room, then wait for him again, and just keep switching corners until the fight is over. When walking to another corner, do not run through the center of the room, instead, run near the walls because Pyramid Head takes the center route to get to you. You can also fire bullets at him with your handgun to slow him down, but it won't speed up the battle in any way and is not required to defeat him(you can beat him without using a single bullet). Do not use melee weapons to hit him, unless you want to get killed. Pyramid Head has three attacks. The first one is a simple side swing of his blade. This attack has good speed and is performed as soon as you enter his range. The second one is he grabs and chokes you with his free hand if you get too close. The longer you are in his grasp, the more damage you take, so press the buttons(including shoulder buttons) repeatedly as fast as you can to break free. I also saw him punch James, but it might just be a failed attempt to grab him by the neck. The third attack is an overhead slash where he will lift his Great Knife over his head and land it on James. In Beginner mode the attack inflicts heavy damage, but in the higher modes it leads to an instant death, so watch out. It takes some time for him to perform this attack so you can run away before he hits you, but in some occasions he can aim his blade at James while he lifts his blade, which is dangerous. Still, it can be avoided by running. After the time is finished you will hear a faint air-raid siren in the background and this is when Pyramid Head will leave to the flooded stairs. When he does this, stay away from him. If you get close to him he will gladly swing his blade on you, so just wait until he leaves and a short cutscene occurs, then you can proceed.

Hanging Men / Flesh Lips

They are large clumps of rotting flesh enclosed inside a rectangular metal frame, and hangs from the ceiling. Using the black feet sticking out of their base, they will attempt to catch James by the neck and strangle him until he dies. They appear to have an opening(apparently lips or vaginal openings) on their fleshy bodies, but does not have any purpose on combat.
Represents Mary's suffering in the hospital bed, and also probably James thoughts about committing suicide.
Location: First Floor Examination Room of Brookhaven Hospital

Speed: Medium

Tactics: This boss fight shouldn't be hard in any difficulty level and you can beat them without taking any heavy damage. Their only attack is to swing their feet and grab on James' neck to strangle him, which slowly drains his health. In Easy mode the handgun works good enough to kill them when you want to save ammo, but in Normal and Hard mode you'll have to use the shotgun because of their increased speed and health. You'll first fight two of these monsters. First, allow them to chase you until the two of them are near together and move the same direction when charging unto you. Then, starfe-run to a corner and give them one or two shots with the shotgun(and about 4 handgun shots in Easy mode), then run again to the opposite corner and shoot them again 1-2 times, then run back to the first corner you went and keep repeating until they're both dead. The shotgun works well in this battle as it can hit more than one enemy at one shot. Do not be greedy on pulling off more shots at them or they'll catch you before you can run away. When running to another corner it is possible to run right under the monsters without getting hit, as their attack takes about a second to be performed, but run quick or they'll catch you - especially in Hard mode, where they become real quick. If you want to be safe, run to the other corner while sticking on the walls, but always remember to starfe-run(hold L1 or R1 while running) instead of just running because if you run to a corner, you'll have to turn around to face the monster, taking away precious time. When you get caught, repeatedly tap all your controls and shoulder buttons as fast as you can to break free(the longer they strangle you the more health you lose). After the two Hanging Men are defeated, another one will drop from the ceiling and come after you, but if you do the "corner technique" above you'll be able to defeat it easily and the battle is over. If you get killed by the Hanging Men you'll see a slightly unique death scene.

Second Encounter with Pyramid Head

Oh no, Pyramid Head is back, and now he's after James and Maria! This time he wields a lightweight spear/javelin and he's now considerably faster than your previous encounter with him. He'll chase you and Maria through a long, tight hallway and you'll have to reach the elevator at the end before Pyramid Head skewers you or your lady friend with his spear.
Pyramid Head's transition to lighter weapons might symbolize James' eventual learning of the truth.

Damage: Medium High

Speed: Medium High

Tactics: Again do note that Pyramid Head cannot be killed in this battle - you'll just have to reach the elevator at the end of the long hallway without dying or Maria getting killed to win. Pyramid Head has only one attack here - a simple stab of his spear - which delivers good damage and has surprising range. The real concern for you to win this battle is not your life, but Maria's. When she gets murdered by Pyramid Head with his spear or you kill her, it's Game Over, and it only takes several stabs to kill Maria. You can heal yourself with health items, but you can't heal Maria. She's pretty slow, too. In Easy and Normal difficulty, this fight is a piece of cake. Simply run through the long hallway as fast as you can to you reach the elevator. You'll reach the elevator before Pyramid Head can finish Maria. The corners might be a problem, but if you bump onto one just continue to run to the right direction. But in Hard mode, simply running is almost impossible. Maria will quickly get killed by Pyramid Head if you leave her and run for the elevator. Shooting him isn't a good solution, either, even if it slows him down a bit(if you miss your aim and hit Maria at the head, she's instantly dead). I read an effective technique in one walkthrough from "Blue Phoenix" and I am very thankful for it. To beat this boss fight in Hard mode, equip your Steel Pipe. When you enter the hallway and take the first corner of the hall, the eerie music will start and Pyramid Head will start chasing you. When he does, face and get close to him, and stab/whack him once or more with the Pipe(stabbing is better). Then, take two steps back, then stab him again, then take two steps backward, then stab again, and keep repeating this until you reach the elevator. The stabbing with the pipe seems to stop him from attacking - he just keeps walking towards you, as if pushing you, but not attacking. Be careful not to hit Maria. The corners can again be a problem, but the solution is to side starfe when going to a corner. When you reach the final corner, the stabbing doesn't seem to hinder his attacks anymore, so just keep running ahead to the elevator - you'll reach it even before Pyramid Head can kill Maria(or even damage her). This technique might require some patience and a few tries, but I guarantee you'll beat him.

I'll post the rest of the bosses later on. Hope this helps!
We have a grey child living in our bathroom
SHF

how to deal w needlers

Post by SHF »

most of their attacks are easy to dodge their quickest move is the backhand slash that is harder to dodge whenever u dip the big swing just lay two axe hits into it n wait for it to slash at u if u do a three combo u will be countered
aj4x94

Re: how to deal w needlers

Post by aj4x94 »

helldescent wrote:most of their attacks are easy to dodge their quickest move is the backhand slash that is harder to dodge whenever u dip the big swing just lay two axe hits into it n wait for it to slash at u if u do a three combo u will be countered
That works, or you can try this:

Using the steel pipe, attack using fast attack, followed by a heavy attack, and Alex should perform a rising uppercut attack that instantly kills the needler or deals lots of damage. Even if your first strike is blocked, the second attack hits it right underneath, in the face so it'll always connect.

Happy hunting.
Uyrikeustek
My Bestsellers Clerk

Re: Combat Thread: Tips on Fighting SH monsters (Tips needed

Post by Uyrikeustek »

Don't ever use the hunting rifle for the Doorman boss fight in Silent Hill 2. Use the shotgun. Otherwise you will barely even get one shot in after using like 5 million health drinks.
"What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof." ~ Christopher Hitchens R.I.P.