Please help on defeating Final Boss in SH 2 hard mode!

Stuck in a Silent Hill game? Seems like there's no way out? Seek help here...

Moderator: Moderators

lyndatu
Just Passing Through

Please help on defeating Final Boss in SH 2 hard mode!

Post by lyndatu »

Hello, there!

I wanted to see the Rebirth ending of Silent Hill 2 so I replayed it, this time on hard mode. I have collected the four holy items, but now I'm stuck with the final battle with Maria. Her speed and power overwhelmed me because she was nothing like this compared in easy and normal mode, and I'm a bit of a wimp in the game :D . My daughter is really excited on seeing the ending, but Maria won't let me beat her. Please give me tips on defeating the demon!

My main problem with this fight is that she is so fast that I always get hit everytime I shoot her. I followed the strafe-corner-rifle technique, but still no good - when I run to a corner and shoot her, she always strangles me immediately because she's on my tail already. Sometimes I can't even get the chance to shoot her. The largest amount of rifle shots I gave her so far is 15 shots(she requires 40-50 shots to die). I read that staying near the bed prevents her from doing tentacle attacks too often, but the moths eventually kill me. I have two first-aid kits and two ampoules left. Using the Great Knife on her is like a death wish to me, but I did beat the two Pyramid Heads with the bouncing Great knife technique(I beat them in less than a minute!), but it really is not an option on Maria. Any tips on defeating her(I try to avoid cheats, but I'm also open to them as I am desperate)?

Thanks in advance!
We have a grey child living in our bathroom
crucifix
Historical Society Historian

Post by crucifix »

i don't have any useful advice on how to defeat her, apart from "be faster," but that's not something you can just do. unless you continually replay and work out a strategy of your own, or something.

however, if you don't want to do that, completely using up all your ammo beforehand will cause the fight to end automatically within a certain amount of minutes; all you'll have to do is evade her attacks.
no longer active. thanks for the memories.
lyndatu
Just Passing Through

Post by lyndatu »

Thanks for the reply!

Was that the same glitch in the last boss in Silent Hill 1? I read that it works for the dual pyramid head boss - it works for Maria too? Thanks! I'm really desperate in finishing the game, but can others confirm if the empty-guns technique works for Maria?

Thanks in advance!
We have a grey child living in our bathroom
crucifix

Post by crucifix »

it's not a glitch, it's just something the designers implemented to make sure that finishing the game isn't impossible.
no longer active. thanks for the memories.
LuLu
Gravedigger

Post by LuLu »

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I was wondering how long do you have to run away from Mary/Maria until she gives up? 'Cos I'm out of ammo and can't fight her with anything. :(
"It's a bit far... but closer than heaven!"
Harrys_Girl

Post by Harrys_Girl »

^It only works on Easy and Normal mode, so if your playing on Hard, your not gonna be able to wait for the failsafe to kick in. Gonna have to get creative or mean.
LuLu
Gravedigger

Post by LuLu »

Actually, right after I posted this she gave up (on Hard mode)! So it seems to work for all of them. :D lol Thanks though. Hehe.
"It's a bit far... but closer than heaven!"
Harrys_Girl

Post by Harrys_Girl »

Fine! Prove me wrong!!! :wink: Glad you got through it. : D
SHF

Post by SHF »

Use the hyperspray to stun her. Then attack.
Also have you boosted up your ammo count?
You can do this in the special options menu ( press L2 i believe)
[img]http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee419/silentfog/signature.jpg[/img]
Mephisto

Post by Mephisto »

^To get inside the extra options menu you must press L1 and R1 at the same time.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

>It only works on Easy and Normal mode
If that were true, how would completing the game be possible if you ran out of ammo on Hard mode?
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Harrys_Girl

Post by Harrys_Girl »

^Don't run out of ammo. :| Thought that was the whole point of the game on Hard.
LSSJGamer
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by LSSJGamer »

Wow, I didn't know there was a failsafe that lets you win anyway... how convenient. Well I always fought here the fair way no matter the difficulty. I noticed that if you don't have the game camera facing her, she will not relase the moths to come eat up your clothes. Problem on Hard mode is that she tenfs to want to love you to death by choking you as well as chasing you down.

My tip: Lure her to one side of the room, then run (with the camera not facing her) to the other side of them room. Then press the button that aims the gun, james should turn around and aim at her but the camera should stay focused on him. You should be able to get atleast 1 shot in this way, and not have moths on you. But be aware that in hard mode she will be right on you, and if she gets on screen to long she will release the moths. Also, even if she stayed away and didn't come after you so hard, the camera would eventually face her again when you are shooting at her. (3 shots was the max I think before the camera faces her again.) Keep in mind I only played the regular version, so if Restless Dreams or the Greatest Hits versions changed this, then my tip is completely useless.

Sorry I was so late, as it sounds like you beat her already lol. But my tip should be helpful to others.. maybe or maybe not.
LeriSuccubus
Just Passing Through

Post by LeriSuccubus »

I always run away from her until the moths come out, run away from them until they return, and shoot from a distance (since I think when the moths come out she stays still). It always was an easy fight to me on all levels of difficulty. Just remember to reload in the inventory screen instead of letting James do it himself.
Shop smart, shop S-Mart.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

>Don't run out of ammo.
That's an option? You can just . . . not run out of ammo?

No. And then what?

Y're stuck at the final boss, probably just after saving w/out any option of going back to find more ammo, and you can't win. Guess you better do it again. . . .
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Harrys_Girl

Post by Harrys_Girl »

I've beaten the game on Hard several time w/ at least 100 ammo all together. So, yeah.. you can not run out of ammo. That is why I didn't think there was a failsafe for Hard. Never needed it.
Sergiy
Hope House Careworker

Post by Sergiy »

There's a nice method.
Just run to the left side of the room and stand near the wall (near the hole you came up through)

Mary/maria will not choke you, just come close and use moths (which unfortunately damage you)
But if you got quite a few healing items, this wont be a problem, and you dont have to worry about the tentacle.