I'm really about to give up on this game (SH Homecoming)

Stuck in a Silent Hill game? Seems like there's no way out? Seek help here...

Moderator: Moderators

angelofROOM302
Historical Society Historian

Post by angelofROOM302 »

Rofl, my little hands work perfectly fine on the 360 controller. :?
I didn't know it was created for male players. Hmm, I wonder if that's why the guest player shadow is always a woman! Sexism!! :x
Mephisto
Historical Society Historian

Post by Mephisto »

^No way that's just an allusion.

How do you know that it was created for men AnneMarie? Never heard of a thing like this.

By the way, I'm damn sure that both versions are the same. No changes at all as far as I know.
-mimic-
Just Passing Through

Post by -mimic- »

The biggest problem I had in homecoming was also meeting scarlett with not much ammo or health.

But thankfully, Ive learned through many games, to atleast have 4 different saves, and switch between each one of those everytime you save. So I could go back 30 minutes and end up with scarlett with plenty of health and ammo.

So yeah, remember to save as many times as you can in a game, unless the game is called Dead Rising on the 360! :P
cultistofvertigo
Just Passing Through

Post by cultistofvertigo »

phix95 wrote:^see that to me is too much. Running the whole time, not really able to concentrate on what the next task is or puzzle or where you should go..to me that detracts from the "real" game.
this, but without the qoutes. It's different with something like Silent Hill Arcade, which doesn't even attempt to stick to the SH formula of looking for notes, exploring the town and solving puzzles. You still have to do all of that in homecoming, and when I can't just kill the thing and move on with my delusional fog world, it sort of stops any real progress in the game.

Although, I did just install the game on my machine, and I found a thing called a "trainer," which runs in the background and allows you to turn on and off things like god mode and infinite ammo, and I think it works. But the game is so choppy and it simply wont run in a window and if I try to make it there is a catastrophic breakdown. So, aparently 3gigs of memory is simply not enough for a game that looks no better than Doom3. This is a nice, brand new computer here, that's total bunk.

So it seems like everytime I want to go ahead and give it another chance, it's just not willing to do the same for me. I never had a single problem, technical or otherwise, playing 1,2,3,4, or 0, (and I'm playing SH1 on a frickin' playstation emulator, so thats saying something) so I'm guessing that homecoming just has some sort of personal grudge against me.
In the future it might occur to me to type something really awesome here. I cant think of anything very interesting and not obnoxious at present, so, just... forget it.
paladin181
Subway Guard

Post by paladin181 »

Eh.. Trainers.. Why not just watch someone play the game? It's essentially the same thing. The "Fear for my life because big scary death is actually lurking around the next corner" idea is this game's scare. It's not as crude as RE, it's in fact Silent Hill, except the enemies are actually a threat. The Dodge button is your best friend. The Knife is a broken weapon in this game. The other weapons may as well not even exist, unless you get good timing and/or impatient and start using the Axe.

SH 1 had so much ammo it was ridiculous (The pipe could kill 95% of enemies with ease, if you couldn't avoid them).. SH2 was nearly the same (Again with the board and the pipe.. nothing was really scary when you can easily bludgeon it to death on the hardest levels..) In SH3 most of the monsters were tough, surprisingly so, but hey, they were also simple to avoid. SH4 went back to ineffective monsters and stressed melee, but the ghosts made it interesting. SH0, well, they really REALLY wanted to show off their environmental combat engine (Stuff that TV in your shirt to throw at a beastie later, Travis).

SH5 introduced a character who could actually defend himself with skills learned in his Army training.. (
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
I know... But it's what we're told at the beginning
) I think it's refreshing to actually have to combat monsters, and then they put in an easy mode by giving the protagonist a BROKEN weapon... Want a REAL challenge? Go through the game NEVER using a knife again after you get the pipe.
cultistofvertigo
Just Passing Through

Post by cultistofvertigo »

paladin181 wrote:Eh.. Trainers.. Why not just watch someone play the game? It's essentially the same thing. The "Fear for my life because big scary death is actually lurking around the next corner" idea is this game's scare. It's not as crude as RE, it's in fact Silent Hill, except the enemies are actually a threat. The Dodge button is your best friend. The Knife is a broken weapon in this game. The other weapons may as well not even exist, unless you get good timing and/or impatient and start using the Axe.

SH 1 had so much ammo it was ridiculous (The pipe could kill 95% of enemies with ease, if you couldn't avoid them).. SH2 was nearly the same (Again with the board and the pipe.. nothing was really scary when you can easily bludgeon it to death on the hardest levels..) In SH3 most of the monsters were tough, surprisingly so, but hey, they were also simple to avoid. SH4 went back to ineffective monsters and stressed melee, but the ghosts made it interesting. SH0, well, they really REALLY wanted to show off their environmental combat engine (Stuff that TV in your shirt to throw at a beastie later, Travis).

SH5 introduced a character who could actually defend himself with skills learned in his Army training.. (
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
I know... But it's what we're told at the beginning
) I think it's refreshing to actually have to combat monsters, and then they put in an easy mode by giving the protagonist a BROKEN weapon... Want a REAL challenge? Go through the game NEVER using a knife again after you get the pipe.
Right. That would have scared me to, if I wasn't trying to explore the town. SHSM has monsters that can actually hurt you, and works in the "not being able to just hit them with a pipe" thing while not taking away from the rest of the game because there is literally nothing in the ice world.

But yeah, that's a cheap "scare," not the kind of unrelenting oppressive atmosphere that makes Silent Hill games worth playing. And not even Resident Evil is that hard. You're fighting zombies, so theres no challenge to begin with. They are somehow even slower than Lying Figures, it's ridiculous.

I'm thinking now if they want to make the threat of monsters actually killing you scary, while not having to deal with excessive combat, they might as well do something like stick to the old engine, but only put monsters in hallways, and have ALOT of them. So you are capable of defending yourself while still feeling vulnerable. I've seen people play through SH2 and 3 on hard and it's... insane. Think about that butt limit the ammo. Make the monsters a threat AND not sacrifice the exploratory aspect!

That's what I say anywhichways.
In the future it might occur to me to type something really awesome here. I cant think of anything very interesting and not obnoxious at present, so, just... forget it.
paladin181
Subway Guard

Post by paladin181 »

Well, I didn't find the enemies to be too numerous until closer to the end.. so I'll have to just disagree on this point
=====================================================
|.My Avatar is larger than yours because I'm a cult subscriber.|
=====================================================
lbsword
Just Passing Through

Post by lbsword »

That was the toughest part of the game. Those shicsms or whatever are rough. Just run run run run, like you can do in every silent hill game. Ignore side rooms eventhough there are two health drinks in the area. I think you only really need to kill 2 of them to get through the garage to the big boss. Dont even focus on killing anything, just shoot them once to knock them down then haul ass.
NothingLikeSleep

Post by NothingLikeSleep »

Or just stand in the doorway after you chop down the wood and let them filter through one at a time. Like a true Spartan.