Silent Hill 2 PC problems

Stuck in a Silent Hill game? Seems like there's no way out? Seek help here...

Moderator: Moderators

BurningWitch
Just Passing Through

Silent Hill 2 PC problems

Post by BurningWitch »

Well, I played through through the game before on PC with no problems. Decided to play it a second time to get the Rebirth ending and it's basically unplayable.

It lags so bad that it freezes everything up and I have to kill my whole system just to exit it.

I don't understand it. I really want to play it again. I don't understand why I had no problem the first time, and now it's this way.

I didn't change anything major at all in my system. I even wiped my computer back to factory settings, rebooted, installed the game and I'm having the same problem.

Any answers?
angelofROOM302
Historical Society Historian

Post by angelofROOM302 »

Maybe something is eating up all of your ram, besides the game?
BurningWitch
Just Passing Through

Post by BurningWitch »

I tried shutting down every program, other than the game.

The strange thing was I had like twenty programs running back when it actually worked correctly.

EDIT: I tried running from the .exe right off the cd rather than the one I installed, and it works fine, but it makes me worried that it's unstable.

EDIT AGAIN: Yeah, running it from the executable off the cd helps a bit, but it's still unstable and still will occasionally freeze and crash.

SUPER EDIT: The games does not even start now. It just goes straight to a black screen. It has progressively gotten worse. How could this happen?
The Red Devil
Just Passing Through

Post by The Red Devil »

Well you said you made no changes...but just to be sure: Did you upgrade a video card? Are you using Windows Vista? Is all your RAM in and working properly? These are a few things that could cause your game to not work. It could be that your video card is too good (it's happened to me), or you're using VIsta and shouldn't be, or somehow some of your ram got knocked loose. It could also be that you've upgraded your DirectX and it could be too good.
EDH
Erectile Dis-function Highlander
"THERE CAN ONLY BE NONE!"
silenthell88
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by silenthell88 »

It sounds like a display driver issue to me. Try using an older driver, if you're using the newest, or newest if using an older one. After reinstalling the driver you might need to reinstall the game. I have GTA San Andreas & the Silent Hill games on my PC and a display driver change can cause these games to act weird or not work at all. I updated to the newest driver and SH2 & GTA didn't work right. I went back to the original driver my PC came with and suddenly they worked fine again.
SilentObserver
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by SilentObserver »

Somtimes new display drivers will not fix the problem, especially if the game itself is relying on outdated drivers, but it can't hurt to try it!

Just remember, if you go with an older driver that works, you'll have to upgrade them again before playing anything else.

I've had countless problems with SH2 on PC. I had to reinstall it 3 times before the movies finally worked, and still half of them won't, and none of them work if I skip one... I had to downgrade my DX just to get it to run right, and now the new problem is that the controls are so wonky James won't break something he NEEDS to break to continue (I start on easy, and do all the diffs from there, just to get it out of the way), and there is no way to fix THIS. So whatever you do, don't play on Easy ... :?
Ravager
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Ravager »

I had the same problem with it crashing on startup. Funny thing is, it was gone when I bought an ATI graphics card a few months later.
I still had sound problems though.

But I heard something about the game not running well on a multi core processor. And there was a program I believe, where you can make the game run running on only one core.

*sigh* It's been a while so I can't remember everything.
Kaisura
Just Passing Through

Post by Kaisura »

Multi-core system? Dual Core or higher?

SH2 hates them. Passionately. After starting up the game, alt-tab out, go into the task manager, and set the process affinity (for sh2pc.exe) so that only processos 1 is checked (uncheck 0 for dual core, 0 and 2 for triple core, 0 2 and 3 for quad core). If you do this before progressing past the main menu screen, the game will run perfectly fine.
alissonam
Just Passing Through

Re: Silent Hill 2 PC problems

Post by alissonam »

Harrys_Girl
Historical Society Historian

Re: Silent Hill 2 PC problems

Post by Harrys_Girl »

You realize this topic has been dead for almost a yr. right? Please check the date and activity before necorposting.