Homecoming on PC - having problems button-mashing on mouse

Stuck in a Silent Hill game? Seems like there's no way out? Seek help here...

Moderator: Moderators

KristinT
Just Passing Through

Homecoming on PC - having problems button-mashing on mouse

Post by KristinT »

I'm really hoping you can help me, as after wanting to for ages I just got my first Silent Hill game (Homecoming on PC, the only one I could find) and I'm having a major problem.

I'm on PC and my control, as I don't have anything else, is keyboard and mouse. In this game, it looks like you need to button mash to perform tasks several times throughout. The first of these is to just get Alex off the freaking gurney, the others include cutting walls open to find doors, etc. etc.

On the PC version, the button mash is done by clicking the left mouse button repeatedly.

I have done this successfully a grand total of once, to get Alex off the gurney the first time I attempted playing the game. Thank god I saved at the first save point, because every time I've tried to start a new game, I have clicked and clicked and clicked, for several sessions, for several minutes at a time, and I am unable to get Alex off the gurney again. I think I've clicked for long enough, and the animation gets to the point where he's got both arms up and his head lifted off the gurney, then he falls back flat and it starts from the beginning of the cycle.

As I say, thank god I'd saved my first session. But it turns out the game wants you to do the same button mash to cut open walls with your knife. I. Can't. Do. It.

The little icon with the flashing mouse button that comes up doesn't seem to suggest this, but is there an actual technique to clicking the button - like a series of long/short clicks with combinations of hard and light pressure? I don't get this impression.

I have a laptop computer and I am frankly worried that I'm going to break the mouse. So I'm too worried to play the game anymore.

I hope I don't sound like a moron. I've been able to use items, investigate, open doors, move around, and kill the three nurses I've come across so far, so it's not that I don't understand the controls in general or am too dumb to use them properly. The specific problem is that I don't seem able to click the mouse enough, and I am already annoyed that there are these stupid single-button- mashing bits in the game.

I really want to play this game, and I know this is probably the most stupid thread ever started in the "Daddy, Help Me!" section of the forum. But am I missing something really obvious about how to, um, click the mouse on the laptop? Or do you recommend I buy an external mouse, and might it be easier with one of those?

Thank you. Like I say, I really want to finally play a Silent Hill game.
Mephisto
Historical Society Historian

Post by Mephisto »

Sorry but I don't think there's nothing that can be done. . . Just get a joystick with a usb cable (those joysticks for comptuers) and pray for it to work. :|
paladin181
Subway Guard

Post by paladin181 »

I haven't played the PC version yet, as I play the PS3 version. Can you remap the controls to a different button, say from left mouse to the space bar?

Alternatively, try holding the mouse with one hand and clicking with the index finger of your other hand, or alternating the index finger and middle finger very quickly (from the side, probably with your left hand). Those may make it a lot easier to get those pesky click sessions out of the way.
=====================================================
|.My Avatar is larger than yours because I'm a cult subscriber.|
Mephisto

Post by Mephisto »

^But can still damage the mouse to no end.
paladin181
Subway Guard

Post by paladin181 »

I'm not saying to pound on the mouse, quite the contrary, you should use gentle taps. I guess I just didn't explain it too well. Besides, clicking games like this are bad for your mouse from the getgo.
|.My Avatar is larger than yours because I'm a cult subscriber.|
KristinT
Just Passing Through

Post by KristinT »

Thanks for your advice, and so promptly also. I'm definitely going to buy an external mouse or a joystick.

By sheer dumb luck I have been able to cut open two doors now. I THINK the trick is to not click as fast as I had been, but to apply more pressure. But I'm fairly sure a laptop mouse will not stand up to this kind of nonsense for long.

I'm glad it's working now. I've only very recently decided to get into computer games. The game I bought before this (the first computer game I've bought ever) was a glitchy crashing Hail-O-System-Error-Window-Of-Death nightmare whose name starts with 'P' and ends with 'enumbra: Black Plague' and I'd have been very annoyed at myself if I'd bought another no-goer after that.

Due to problems with figuring out how to button mash the mouse, I've had the game for a week and have only got as far as Joshua asking me to find Robbie the Rabbit. The game is already creeping me out and I am having lots of fun. I'm a bit dismayed there was no 'Easy' mode but as I'm so new to computer games anyway, I'm sure that would have been difficult for me also.

I've got crossed fingers 'Shattered Memories' comes out on PC eventually, as I can't find any of the other Silent Hills for PC, and I've been warned against buying computer games secondhand as because of copyright coding they often won't work.

Again, thanks.
simeonalo

Post by simeonalo »

Has anyone ever played offline coop in RE5 for Xbox? This is the exact same problem during the last boss.