SH:O Daddy bossfight without ammo?

Stuck in a Silent Hill game? Seems like there's no way out? Seek help here...

Moderator: Moderators

Mumbler
Just Passing Through

SH:O Daddy bossfight without ammo?

Post by Mumbler »

'Kay so I'm not a fan of the newer games but I found me a copy of SH:O for $10 and I figured I'd give it a try.
I'll be honest, I play most of my horror games on 'easy', and found Origins with its set difficulty level to be incredibly hard, and I'm surprised I've made it this far! Pretty into the story as well, so I really don't want to give up and start over now.

My problem is that I've gotten to the 'Memory of Richard Grady' (aka Trav's daddy) boss fight, and I have no ammo. Considering that it's nearly impossible in this fight to stand still for more than a few seconds at a time (tentacles of dooom~!) I'm not entirely sure how I'm gonna beat him. D: I have one health drink.

Any ideas how I could make this fight go a little smoother and finally whup him? Is it even possible?
Sam Pilgrim
Just Passing Through

Re: SH:O Daddy bossfight without ammo?

Post by Sam Pilgrim »

I've read that is possible beat him with just melee attack, but.. I think it's gonna be hard. Really hard.
Good luck, dude!
The secret of fifty-two is that the multiverse still exists
Harrys_Girl
Historical Society Historian

Post by Harrys_Girl »

W/ one health drink and no ammo, I'd most likely say it is impossible. If you are fast on your feet, maybe you can try to avoid Richard's tentacle attacks, but also their is the bloody acid spit that he gives off if you stay out of his range for too long. I've never attempted this myself, but I say try to run in, hit him w/ the strongest melee you've got, better yet the strongest w/ the best range, then run away before he can retaliate. If you can mange to get down a pattern of attack and retreat, maybe w/ time you will be able to wear him down.
Mumbler
Just Passing Through

Post by Mumbler »

Harrys_Girl wrote:W/ one health drink and no ammo, I'd most likely say it is impossible. If you are fast on your feet, maybe you can try to avoid Richard's tentacle attacks, but also their is the bloody acid spit that he gives off if you stay out of his range for too long. I've never attempted this myself, but I say try to run in, hit him w/ the strongest melee you've got, better yet the strongest w/ the best range, then run away before he can retaliate. If you can mange to get down a pattern of attack and retreat, maybe w/ time you will be able to wear him down.
Eep, that isn't promising. Oh mann. I didn't know there was another bossfight coming up again so soon after the Butcher, so I didn't save up ammo (doesn't help how many monsters run around there) so I dunno what I could do. I'm pretty sure I got all the supplies there were to get around the area. I guess I could start over, but...bleargh.
Sam Pilgrim
Just Passing Through

Post by Sam Pilgrim »

That's not so bad, the second time should be easier.
With the monsters in the motel, you really should try using melee weapons, and with the butcher, use the mostly the rifle and the handgun, save the redeemer for the Memory of Richard Grady.
The secret of fifty-two is that the multiverse still exists
Mumbler
Just Passing Through

Post by Mumbler »

Sam Pilgrim wrote:That's not so bad, the second time should be easier.
With the monsters in the motel, you really should try using melee weapons, and with the butcher, use the mostly the rifle and the handgun, save the redeemer for the Memory of Richard Grady.
Hmm, okay. It's those straitjackets mostly, I can't believe how difficult they made them. I don't even want to try getting close. But I'll try to tough it out, thank you~
paladin181
Subway Guard

Post by paladin181 »

The Straight Jackets are easy enough. Use your fists, and wait till they try to grapple you, then hit the correct buttons to threowthem to the ground. Commence beat down, and conserve ammo.
=====================================================
|.My Avatar is larger than yours because I'm a cult subscriber.|
=====================================================
Mephisto

Post by Mephisto »

How can some people waste tons of health drinks or ammo while playing? No, seriously, how? I never understood such a thing. 0rigins is not even hard.

It's either:
A)You don't explore everything.
B)You get a hit and then use a health item right after the hit.
C)When you see a monster you waste the entire ammo on it, even if the monster is already dead.
D)You just suck at playing the game.
E)All of the above.

'Course I'm kidding with these "explanations" but when you think about it they kinda make sense. . .
Mumbler
Just Passing Through

Post by Mumbler »

Mephisto wrote:How can some people waste tons of health drinks or ammo while playing? No, seriously, how? I never understood such a thing. 0rigins is not even hard.

It's either:
A)You don't explore everything.
B)You get a hit and then use a health item right after the hit.
C)When you see a monster you waste the entire ammo on it, even if the monster is already dead.
D)You just suck at playing the game.
E)All of the above.

'Course I'm kidding with these "explanations" but when you think about it they kinda make sense. . .
Um...okay then. As I have said, I am not very good at video games and am used to playing them on the 'easy' difficulty setting. :D Therefore I find SHO's single difficulty setting to be much more difficult than it might be for someone such as yourself.

I didn't come here to get flamed for sucking at the games~
Mephisto

Post by Mephisto »

I didn't come here to get flamed for sucking at the games~
*facepalm* Read my post again. I wasn't flaming you.
Keiko
Just Passing Through

Post by Keiko »

Melee weapons suck...Here's my advice: Start a new game and use only fists. Target pistol on Carrions when you know you can't avoid them. Shotgun when you're facing your mother-thing and Caliban sub-boss. Service pistol on outdoor Twobacks and fists on indoor Twobacks and melee throwable weapons on Butcher. I did it that way two days ago and after your dad boss fight I've got like 4 health drinks, 2 medkits and 4 ampoules on normal/medium and plenty of ammo.

EDIT: Forgot that you can't choose difficulty in SH:O
Last edited by Keiko on 28 Aug 2010, edited 1 time in total.
Sorry for my bad english...
Mumbler
Just Passing Through

Post by Mumbler »

Keiko wrote:Melee weapons suck...Here's my advice: Start a new game and use only fists. Target pistol on Carrions when you know you can't avoid them. Shotgun when you're facing your mother-thing and Caliban sub-boss. Service pistol on outdoor Twobacks and fists on indoor Twobacks and melee throwable weapons on Butcher. I did it that way two days ago and after your dad boss fight I've got like 4 health drinks, 2 medkits and 4 ampoules on normal/medium and plenty of ammo.
That's a good idea! My only problem would be that with fists, it takes so long to kill the monster that while you're swinging away, ANOTHER one will come up beside you and start beating you up! I get swarmed by two or three monsters at a time a LOT in Origins.
DistantJ
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DistantJ »

When I play (pre-Homecoming) Silent Hill games I usually save my ammo for the bosses, and not use it on the enemies at all unless I absolutely have to. In both SH2 and 3 I found that when I reached the final boss the thing was so easy to beat because I was loaded with ammo for the powerful weapons which I hadn't used up. But that strategy worked rather nicely for me in Origins.

Strait Jackets are such a bitch for a common enemy, I agree, almost like the Schisms in Homecoming (though not quite THAT evil), but in the end I learned to just run from them to where I have to go, as they're usually only present outdoors. I did work out a really nice strategy for them if you can't escape them, though. Keep a number of large objects you can throw in your inventory, like some TVs, typewriters, etc., and when it starts running at you, throw one at it. It'll prevent it from doing that evil grapple thing and put it in enough of a daze for you to finish it off with your fists or a melee weapon.

In the theatre and sanitarium, you can walk past most of the monsters by switching off your flashlight. It's kinda creepy at first but Origins' monsters are pretty much completely blind in the dark, so long as you walk and don't run most of them won't even notice you (just don't try this in Homecoming, lol, cause you'll bump into something and knock it over with a loud clang, scaring the shit out of yourself).
Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song, and there's always music in the air.
Harrys_Girl

Post by Harrys_Girl »

^That is what I always do. If you can memorize the map, just play as much as you can in the dark, or better yet, mess w/ you TV's brightness/contrast setting, crank the brightness and you'll be able to see in darkness and as long as you don't run into the enemies, you can walk right past them and they won't go after you.
Mumbler
Just Passing Through

Post by Mumbler »

Hahaha! That's a great idea. xD I should totally do that, just cheat by messing with the brightness and keep the light off.

I started a new file and already gotten a game over because of straitjackets (though...to be fair, it's because my friend bumped the controller while we were doing something else and unpaused the game until I died, lol).

Made it through the hospital without incident, in the sanitarium now and just about got gang-banged by remnants in the basement, surrounded by like four of them lol. But the theatre is a biznitch with all those ariels, I do hope it's easier with the flashlight off.
Harrys_Girl

Post by Harrys_Girl »

If you are going to use ammo on anything, use it on them. They are a bitch to avoid because if you try to run from them, they launch at you or if you try to sneak around them, they are so big you bump into them and the tackle you. If you can, run up behind them. They are slow to turn around and use a melee. I liked the crowbar in my first play through. It should take like 3-5 hits and if you turn w/ them so you stay behind them, they just keep spinning around. If you are having difficulty or they are ganging up on you, use your gun, but it does at I think, and entire clip to take one down. That is another annoying thing about SH0, you waste entire clips on single encounters, so just gotta be weary of that.
SHF

Post by SHF »

you can do it. heres what you do: figure his attacks out. timing is critical. it may take you abit. but you will kill him. use heavy damaging weapons like the tvs
[img]http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee419/silentfog/signature.jpg[/img]
c10ckw0rk
Just Passing Through

Post by c10ckw0rk »

helldescent wrote:you can do it. heres what you do: figure his attacks out. timing is critical. it may take you abit. but you will kill him. use heavy damaging weapons like the tvs
That's exactly what I was going to say

I've done it with just melee ( and not with moon gauntlets), Helldescent basically just gave my strategy XD

"
on another note use one time use items, they do a bit more damage, and longer ranged items, attacking one attack at a time and running around carefully

I had this issue on one of my play troughs...I got neglectful with my supplies ):" ( that's what I was going to post XD