Silent Hill Homecoming PC Installation

Stuck in a Silent Hill game? Seems like there's no way out? Seek help here...

Moderator: Moderators

CerealKiller
Just Passing Through

Silent Hill Homecoming PC Installation

Post by CerealKiller »

Hi guys, I have just purchased silent hill homecoming on PC. When I put the disk in the computer, nothing happens. I have tried going to MY COMPUTER to find the file but its nowhere. Can anyone help me?
Typographenia
Historical Society Historian

Re: Silent Hill Homecoming PC Installation

Post by Typographenia »

I'm probably not going to be much help, but I'll see.

Where did you get the game and was it new?
Is the disk drive even spinning at all?
You said you went to "my computer" and can't find the file, but is the disc icon showing up?
CerealKiller
Just Passing Through

Post by CerealKiller »

Typographenia wrote:I'm probably not going to be much help, but I'll see.

Where did you get the game and was it new?
Is the disk drive even spinning at all?
You said you went to "my computer" and can't find the file, but is the disc icon showing up?
I got the game from ebay and it's brand new. Not sure about the spinning so i'll have to check that. And no icon shows in 'my computer'.

Thanks for replying :)
Typographenia

Post by Typographenia »

I was afraid of that. I hate to throw you into unnecessary doubt, but some things on ebay are a little iffy, as I'm sure you've heard or experienced. It's always very likely you were given a bootleg of some kind, but I would like to think not.

Did you get a chance to see if the disc spun up when putting it in? If it doesn't sound like the drive is trying to run it at all, try inserting another cd of some kind. Music, game, whatever, just something that has worked in the past.

If the drive still doesn't spin I would assume there is probably something wrong with your disc drive. If the drive does start up and recognizes the disc, I would assume you have something wrong with the game disc.

It's always possible that someone else somewhere has had a similar problem and found a solution, so you might try asking on the gamefaqs boards or somewhere else, or maybe just try looking on another site about it. I feel bad that I'm not able to help much more than I am, and I really hope this gets worked out.

Do you have another computer available or a friend/relative you could try it on their computer? If it refuses to run in their drives as well I would probably contact your seller and see if you could return it or work something out.
CerealKiller
Just Passing Through

Post by CerealKiller »

Typographenia wrote:I was afraid of that. I hate to throw you into unnecessary doubt, but some things on ebay are a little iffy, as I'm sure you've heard or experienced. It's always very likely you were given a bootleg of some kind, but I would like to think not.

Did you get a chance to see if the disc spun up when putting it in? If it doesn't sound like the drive is trying to run it at all, try inserting another cd of some kind. Music, game, whatever, just something that has worked in the past.

If the drive still doesn't spin I would assume there is probably something wrong with your disc drive. If the drive does start up and recognizes the disc, I would assume you have something wrong with the game disc.

It's always possible that someone else somewhere has had a similar problem and found a solution, so you might try asking on the gamefaqs boards or somewhere else, or maybe just try looking on another site about it. I feel bad that I'm not able to help much more than I am, and I really hope this gets worked out.

Do you have another computer available or a friend/relative you could try it on their computer? If it refuses to run in their drives as well I would probably contact your seller and see if you could return it or work something out.
Just tried again, yeah its spinning but still nothing happens. I tried this on my sisters laptop but I've encountered another problem. The game has been installed but when I go to launch it it says: ABORTING build [FINAL] v6.34 Changelist: #663064 Silent Hill: D3D device could not be created. Please make sure the latest DirectX and display drivers are installed.
[no game crash info]

I've installed DirectX and a display driver. Gah I have no luck with games!
Typographenia

Post by Typographenia »

Well, if it installed on her laptop at least that's a step forward.
If I had to guess, the error message you're getting is probably due to her laptop not being powerful enough to run the game. My laptop is a few years old now, and it chugs along with most games I try. Even half life 2, already several years old, can only run at mid/low quality for me.

I don't know if this will do anything, but try going to start>run
You should have the run window popup, and type in the name of the drive(d,e,f, whatever) and a colon.
Like this-
That should start the disc running the cd, but if not I don't know. You might just try inquiring elsewhere, because I'm sort of at the limits of my knowledge.
heavensnightsh

Post by heavensnightsh »

This is why I'm glad the night I was planning to buy Homecomig on Steam, they didn't have it. I waited and waited, this was after the release date btw, and eventually just downloaded a copy elsewhere. The game has worked for me once! Every other time it's just a black screen. Ive tried all i could and googled all the answers i could. Im glad i neer payed for the pc version. But will gladly buy the ps3 version if i ever get one
[img]http://i41.tinypic.com/dbmhpc.gif[/img]
(o ) ( 0)[size=75]WOOO!|[url=http://www.silenthillheaven.com/wiki]Silent Hill Wiki[/url]|[img]http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s278/razrguy/tray.gif[/img]"What the hell is it?"[/size]
( ) ­ [size=75]I wanna thank you for this chance to be [color=teal]angels[/color] [/size]
[img]http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s278/razrguy/Pokemon.gif[/img][img]http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s278/razrguy/HarryPotter-2.gif[/img][img]http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s278/razrguy/LGDare.gif[/img] Thank you Harrys_Girl for the Drawing Block!
[size=59][I am currently permitted to display a larger avatar thanks to my status as a supporter of SHHF][/size]
CerealKiller
Just Passing Through

Post by CerealKiller »

Typographenia wrote:Well, if it installed on her laptop at least that's a step forward.
If I had to guess, the error message you're getting is probably due to her laptop not being powerful enough to run the game. My laptop is a few years old now, and it chugs along with most games I try. Even half life 2, already several years old, can only run at mid/low quality for me.

I don't know if this will do anything, but try going to start>run
You should have the run window popup, and type in the name of the drive(d,e,f, whatever) and a colon.
Like this-
That should start the disc running the cd, but if not I don't know. You might just try inquiring elsewhere, because I'm sort of at the limits of my knowledge.
Just tried it... still nothing. Grrr I'm goning to smash the computer. Thanks heaps anyway for your help :D
heavensnightsh wrote:This is why I'm glad the night I was planning to buy Homecomig on Steam, they didn't have it. I waited and waited, this was after the release date btw, and eventually just downloaded a copy elsewhere. The game has worked for me once! Every other time it's just a black screen. Ive tried all i could and googled all the answers i could. Im glad i neer payed for the pc version. But will gladly buy the ps3 version if i ever get one
Yeah this is the last time i'm ever buying a PC game
Typographenia

Post by Typographenia »

CerealKiller wrote: Yeah this is the last time i'm ever buying a PC game
Noooooo!

PC is still amazing, give it a chance!
Blame Konami/DoubleHelix for a horrible, horrible handling of the pc version.
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
Sorry, I love my pc gaming.